Bloomingdale's

Bloomingdale's Reviews

Updated Jul 28, 2014

Bloomingdale's CEO Tony Spring

Tony Spring

Pros
  • Employee Discount if you can afford to buy anything on your meager poverty-level salary (in 62 reviews)

• Great discount and Bloomingdale's looks great on your resume (in 44 reviews)

Cons
  • Huge disconnect between salaried management and commissioned sales associates (in 40 reviews)

• Reviews are primarily based on credit card applications taken and not on actual service (in 29 reviews)

More Highlights

Good for college students

Prosyou make decent money with flexible schedule

Consjob can be repetitive and customers can be very mean.

For older prospective employees, use caution

Men's Shoe Sales (Former Employee) Orlando, FL

ProsBenefits, discounts, perceived employee recognition

ConsPOS (Point Of Sale) computer training was a nightmare for me . I did inform HR that I was not a terribly fast learner, not a problem I was told, problem. I was put on a training computer connected to the POS training terminal and told I needed to learn it all before they let me on the sales floor. What happened to, "not a problem"? After five and one half hours of frustration, there is a lot to learn, I asked if I could leave and continue tomorrow. One of the officers of the company came over with a dour look on his face. The end result was that he told me he never had anyone wanting to give up and try again the next day. The other part of the equation was that it was 25 miles and 45 minutes each way through three different major freeways, having to wear a black suit every day, plus being told that certain sales people could never meet their commission just selling one product. Two days was enough for me.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more empathetic towards older prospective employees that are not accustomed to POS systems such as yours.

God experience overall

Womens Shoe Salesman (Current Employee)

ProsFlexible hours, discount, good benefits, chances for advancement

Consinventory was poor so customers constantly frustrated, too many associates in a commissioned area, not always interviewing for the position you applied to.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhile the return policy is great for the customer, it is terrible for a commissioned associate. Accepting back used, worn merchandise, or products bought a year or more ago is discouraging.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

WIN SOME....VERY LITTLE IN THIS CASE

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsLovely co-workers make it a bearable daily experience.

ConsDraw/commission is ridiculous, especially at a 6% rate. Return policy is unfair. Previously sold items, even ones sold years ago, come out of seller's paycheck. Total disconnect between upper management and sellers is so loud it echoes throughout the store.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe realistic and put yourselves in your employees shoes They are working long hours and not exactly bringing home the proverbial bacon. Daily Rallies are BS

sales

Sales Associate (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsIt's a fun place to work, nice coworkers, good employee discounts and a good place to learn fashion.

Consneed to wear all black all the time, and the training process was way too long.

sales associate

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsIt was a fun environment with high potential for career advancement

ConsWith any retail/sales job there is always high competition

Advice to Senior Managementbe more involved

DO NOT WORK HERE. REPEAT: DO NOT WORK HERE.

Sales Professional (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsGreat discount. Great associates (except for the girls that work for MAC: they think they're above everyone else somehow).

ConsEverything. Horrible hours. Horrible health insurance (very expensive yet covers NOTHING). Horrible pay. Horrible management. "Managers" are hired straight out of school and usually have little to no work experience. Horrible dress code. Horrible operations. Horrible sales. Horrible merchandise. Horrible return policy. Draw vs. commission means when it's slow or when the buyers get it wrong or when it RAINS you might not make your draw and you wind up owing Bloomingdale's money.

Advice to Senior ManagementFollow the example of your more high end competitors i.e; Neiman Marcus, Nordstrom and Bergdorf Goodman: pay your employees a wage that will actually cover their living expenses and you wouldn't have to deal with a barrage of complaint letters/emails. Your employees aren't helpful/happy because they're stressed out: they can't pay their bills, they're at the mercy of an OPEN return policy which directly affects their pay, they can't take vacations without worrying about going into deficit, etc. Also, you should PROMOTE FROM WITHIN. Stop hiring 22 year old college graduates to manage highly experienced SALES PROFESSIONALS. Also, if you're so worried about DIVERSITY then perhaps you should think about hiring people besides Caucasians to fill managerial roles.

Unfair payroll practices

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsIt's a job. In certain department the money can be good.

ConsPressure to open new charges for customers.

What the company doesn't tell you is that when you open a charge, and the customer makes a purchase and get a credit for doing so, that credit amount is deducted from your gross sales, reducing your commission.

You can't have a requirement to open charges and then penalize us financially for doing so.

Advice to Senior ManagementFire all executives and bring in new blood.

Insanity. Repeatedly doing the same thing and expecting different results.

"Like no other store in the world"... Exactly

Pennsylvania (Former Employee)

ProsDiscounts, comp days...

Not much else to say. It's retail. Constant drama to keep things interesting!

ConsDo yourself a favor and don't work here if you want a legitimate job. Its a joke.

High turnover rate in all departments, disgusting shoplifters, no coverage, most employees miserable and looking for other jobs, outdated store compared to other retailers

Incompetent "executive" management throughout. Stuck up and fake

Customer is always right and blatantly abuses the system

Gossip travels fast although people try to keep secrets

Idiocy, immaturity... This place is honestly a disaster

Just no!

Advice to Senior ManagementAt the end of the day you still work in retail at Bloomingdale's. You're no one special outside of the store... Keep that in mind.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

They set you up to fail

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe people I worked with were lovely, most older women. I did like the customers and obviously the discount on regular and sale was fantastic. The all black wardrobe gave me enough freedom to wear what I liked but was structured enough that I didn't spend an hour looking at my closet. Closing at the end of the night is easy if you're in a slow department I was always out 15 minutes after the doors closed.

ConsYou are surrounded by sharks. Even though they feed you garbage that it's about the customer connection, it's all about the numbers. If your direct manager doesn't love you, you are set up to fail. If you're really doing your job in a department that has minimal change on product ( I was in Intimates) you should set a customer up for 6 months on their first visit. We only had nude, black, and white so I did not have many return customers. If you're not sneaky and pushy about the card you will fail. I was let go and managers didn't even tell me. I just came in for a shift one day and was out of the system. Very Very unprofessional and down right cruel.

Worked for Bloomingdale's? Contribute to the Community!