Bloomingdale's

Updated September 28, 2014
2.8

Bloomingdale's CEO Tony Spring
Tony Spring

Pros
  • Employee Discount if you can afford to buy anything on your meager poverty-level salary (in 67 reviews)

• Great discount and Bloomingdale's looks great on your resume (in 47 reviews)

Cons
  • Huge disconnect between salaried management and commissioned sales associates (in 42 reviews)

• Reviews are primarily based on credit card applications taken and not on actual service (in 29 reviews)

More Highlights

Great for seasonal work

Former Employee - Seasonal Sales Professional  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Seasonal Sales Professional in New York, NY

I worked at Bloomingdale's part-time for less than a year

Pros

Nice environment, little to no micromanagement, decent pay considering commission

Cons

Training via computer, little direction/help on the floor from management

It would be nice if a manager would check in periodically, or if new sales reps were given more training on the floor.

Good

I worked at Bloomingdale's

Pros

It was a nice environment to work in and the people i worked with were enjoyable. You met a lot of nice customers along the way.

Cons

Some customers you have to bite your tongue when dealing with along with some employees.

Mixed

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Glendale, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Glendale, CA

I have been working at Bloomingdale's part-time for less than a year

Pros

People fun, funny, laughed myself silly. Management very kind, caring, trying to develop us. Ego boost. Like social hour without drinks.

Cons

Company uniform a drag for me -- black, dark grey, dark navy -- I wanted real FASHION!!!! Never worked so super duper hard in my life, hustled like a waitress. Customer culture, (or maybe just times we live in brought in returns galore). I probably spent too much time with customers, didn't have the love 'em leave 'em schtick down well enough, I bonded too much, helped the ones my co-workers passed up. Bummer with stuff you thought was sold...was bang, bang, bang, back and me dead sucking back the 10% commission I thought I made. Daily, weekly goals, constant pressure, which is typical for sales, but not enough customers, and near-grueling work with the same taped music since Xmas, could drive a body crazy and then some. Six months in and 24 hours a week I made 10K. Competitive with co-workers can be a head trip. Take NOTHING personally, develop a thick skin, don't gossip...:) Would work at Xmas for the 'fun' (and workout).

Love my bosses. They're doing all they can I am sure. I'd wish they'd raise the base, hope they continue to try to get customers in. Hated customers telling me to my face, "Why do I need to buy it from you (or, now). I'll just get it later online." Lack of pay due to returns eroded my over and above efforts. And, maybe change up the music more, turn volume down a wee bit...add a restaurant...

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Restaurant Waiter

Former Employee - Waiter  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Waiter in New York, NY

I worked at Bloomingdale's full-time for less than a year

Pros

The restaurant is a hidden gem, tucked away on the 6th floor so people usually don't know about it unless they have researched it or it was recommended by a friend. The company discount was nice too.

Cons

Most of the staff are rude and at time's, inappropriate on the floor. Yelling and fighting in front of customers are clear no no's. Most of the kitchen staff is wonderful but the head chef can be a nightmare and really unpleasant to work with. I don't appreciate getting yelled at for asking what's in a dish. Also the restaurant is really old and it looks like its needs a "face-lift".

Find yourself some new, more welcoming servers and a better tempered chef and the place could really be spectacular.

Great option in the world of retail

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Bloomingdale's full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Very pleasant work environment. As a lover of luxury retail, I can't deny that spending 40 hours a week in a beautiful department store is so bad. Reasonable expectations and sales goals in most departments. Some areas offer commission sales and other selling perks. Employee discount is pretty good, and vacation time, 401k, and other benefits are average.

Cons

As with any retailer, hours are irregular (weekends, late nights, early mornings, etc.). However, they're very conscious of overtime so you'll never work more than 36-40 hours if you don't want to. Their part-time and contingent schedules seem to be pretty flexible.

Don't expect to move up in the company. If you start as a sales associate, you will always be a sales associate. Management make it nearly impossible to even move between departments if you find yourself in an area you don't feel is suited for you. In short, expect to be stuck with the position you're hired for. This company does not promote from within at the store level.

I realize not every sales associate has what it takes to advance, but acknowledge and reward those who strive for more.

Exciting & reward Retailer like No other

I have been working at Bloomingdale's full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Opportunities to grow. Great Salary.

Cons

Retail schedule not for some individuals.

Loved working here

Former Employee - Sales Professional  in  Short Hills, NJ
    Former Employee - Sales Professional in Short Hills, NJ

I worked at Bloomingdale's full-time for less than a year

Pros

Employee discount
    Great team to work with
    Great management
    Wonderful environment

Cons

I worked here as a seasonal sales pro , pay was 10.00hr . After my seasonal position ended , i found it veryyy hard to get back in and work as a full time regular

Bloomingdale's is a good place for people starting off and if you love fashion, they give one hella of a discount.

Current Employee - Sales Professional  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Professional in New York, NY

I have been working at Bloomingdale's full-time for more than a year

Pros

The discounts are great. Commission and opening credit cards can increase your pay and sometimes you receive gratis.

Cons

There doesn't seem to be an equal opportunity for advancement. Management is inconsistent and sometimes i don't understand how some people have been qualified for the job they are placed.

Provided associates with the materials they need in order to work efficiently. Spend some time engaging with sales professionals because they are the ones that are producing your results.

Traditional luxury brand retailer

Current Employee - Manager of Human Resources
    Current Employee - Manager of Human Resources

I have been working at Bloomingdale's full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

A fair degree of autonomy, employee discount

Cons

The company is big on committees and subcomittees (meetings upon meetings), change averse

If you like client calling for sales... this is a place for you.

I worked at Bloomingdale's part-time

Pros

The discount is amazing... the people I worked with were amazing... my manager was amazing...

Cons

Cold calling customers, not so fun. Excessive presale events and unrealistic sales goals for a location with very little foot traffic.

Restructure client based calling and sales, focus more on conversion.

Bloomingdale's Photos

Outside of the Flagship store for Bloomingdale's department store, located on Lexington Avenue in New York City. (Photo by Coolcaesar - available under under CC-BY-NC-SA 3.0 & GFDL, v1.2)
The Fortress that is the Beverly Center
Magnolia Bakery at Bloomingdale's

+ Add Photo

Worked for Bloomingdale's? Contribute to the Community!