Bloomingdale's

Updated October 29, 2014
2.8

Bloomingdale's CEO Tony Spring
Tony Spring

Pros
  • Employee Discount if you can afford to buy anything on your meager poverty-level salary (in 70 reviews)

• Great discount and Bloomingdale's looks great on your resume (in 48 reviews)

Cons
  • Huge disconnect between salaried management and commissioned sales associates (in 43 reviews)

• Reviews are primarily based on credit card applications taken and not on actual service (in 29 reviews)

More Highlights

Perfect for Part-time

I have been working at Bloomingdale's

Pros

Great as a part time job, flexible hours for part time along with having to deal with less drama. Possibility to make commission in a draw vs. commission department.

Cons

A lot of rivalry due to sales ownership, and stealing of other associates sales. A lot of stress and drama if working full time. Goals are often unreasonable. Not very busy throughout the year making it difficult to make numbers.

Make reasonable goals for your associates.

Bloomingdales Short Hills New Jersey

Current Employee - Sales in Short Hills, NJ
    Current Employee - Sales in Short Hills, NJ

I have been working at Bloomingdale's full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

nice environment, lots of activity, busy day, constant activity

Cons

negative inexperienced management, nothing is ever good enough, they drive you into the ground, constant goals, no appreciation, unless you're outstanding you are considered inferior, managers are rude and self serving and care only about themselves, phony store manager, no respect for personal needs

hire managers with experience who really care and want to help and who care about the sales people as humans

Bloomingdale's Short Hills

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Short Hills, NJ
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Short Hills, NJ

I have been working at Bloomingdale's full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Opportunity to work with very nice customers and beautiful products.

Cons

Immature young managers who talk at you and down at you. Hyper, intense, insensitive managers who care only about your numbers. Nothing you do is ever good enough. You are in a rat race all the time,Terrible schedule working all weekends and nights with no respect for your personal life. Manic store manager who talks so fast we cannot understand her. Toxic critical environment. Old fashioned uniform demands a black jacket in a very hot store with no air conditioning.

I worked in other stores and this one has the worse managers ever. High turnover of managers means they must be unhappy as we are.

Pretty nice, but catty

I worked at Bloomingdale's full-time

Pros

People are nice and friendly, but catty

Cons

Other than the buying track, promotions and growth is sort of subjective. Didn't feel valued

Take time to get to know people

Good company

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Miami, FL

I have been working at Bloomingdale's part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Long term employment great employees

Cons

Working hours no work life balance

Respect the people under you we make the business

Not awesome

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Century City, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Century City, CA

I worked at Bloomingdale's full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good discount on some weekends; potental to earn high comissions is there, even if it is difficult. You can meet some really cool people who are working it as a day job.

Cons

Management really makes the job good or bad - my manager was the latter. Micromanaging, and always gaming the system to make it incredibly difficult for associates to actually pull anything off.

Get rid of managers who are making your people miserable. Treat employees as more than numbers; provide better incentives.

Great place to work. They offer competitive pay, benefits and discounts. Professional environment.

Former Employee - Manager in Newport Coast, CA
    Former Employee - Manager in Newport Coast, CA

I worked at Bloomingdale's full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good communication between management team. Supportive, healthy interaction between management team on all levels. All team members seemed to be invested in the company.

Cons

A lot of restructuring from year to year. Could use a technology and applications update, some reporting systems are very outdated.

Overall good experience and culture. Make managers jobs easier by investing in reporting software and local store operators. It can be difficult to reach people when calling into the store. Also would benefit the company to place greater emphasis on service.

Great People at Bloomingdale's

Former Employee - Sku Set-up Analyst in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Sku Set-up Analyst in New York, NY

I worked at Bloomingdale's full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Full Benefits, Good Salary, Good People. I had a good time with Bloomingdale's. This famous company allowed me to build lasting personal relationships.

Cons

My only little gripe was that is was very politically correct. That is not like me, I am much too independent minded an slightly old fashioned, conservative if you please!

I would say there is little advice to management. They do an excellent job overall. They pay great attention to benefits, work-life balance and company values. No complaints here.

No regrets. Live and learn. For retail, it wasn't bad.

I worked at Bloomingdale's

Pros

I have worked retail for a long time and this was my favorite team I have ever worked with. I miss them so much.

For retail, it was pretty good. Great vendor seminars and sometimes even free product.

I actually respect how unlike other retailers, Bloomingdales values a college education enough to only promote from within if you have a bachelors.

Great assortment, great discount, and most managers in the downtown San Francisco store are high quality experienced people.

Cons

Very political back door politics. My divisional was notorious for firing anyone just because he didn't like them as a person and didn't want to work with them anymore. That is not respectable, and it should never have employers in fear,

Draw vs commission is beneficial to them, but very horrifying for employees who slave away making a 2500 sale and then having their hard work ripped out of their wallet when they finally have a day off. All of their competitors pay that way though, so that one will unfortunately never change. I finally left retail altogether and I work for an amazing fashion startup that provides lunch, holiday parties on yahts and sporting events! And unlike Bloomingdales and other retailers, they invest in their people and promote from within. They love upward climb and they are all about trusting their employees to be supervisors before burning out from 800 years of experience. I get every Sunday off. Leaving was a great choice .

Invest and you will not have turnover. Make it a place people refuse to leave or else they will always seek to do better.

Good Pay to start out and a family vibe for employees

I have been working at Bloomingdale's

Pros

Intimate co worker relations, meaning its like a family, lots of charity work and great discounts, good vacation time

Cons

They pay well up front but then don't give room for greater growth in raises

There needs to be more room for pay raises with promotions

Bloomingdale's Photos

Outside of the Flagship store for Bloomingdale's department store, located on Lexington Avenue in New York City. (Photo by Coolcaesar - available under under CC-BY-NC-SA 3.0 & GFDL, v1.2)
The Fortress that is the Beverly Center