Bloomingdale's

Updated September 28, 2014
2.8

Bloomingdale's CEO Tony Spring
Tony Spring

Pros
  • Employee Discount if you can afford to buy anything on your meager poverty-level salary (in 67 reviews)

• Great discount and Bloomingdale's looks great on your resume (in 47 reviews)

Cons
  • Huge disconnect between salaried management and commissioned sales associates (in 42 reviews)

• Reviews are primarily based on credit card applications taken and not on actual service (in 29 reviews)

More Highlights

For older prospective employees, use caution

Former Employee - Men's Shoe Sales  in  Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Men's Shoe Sales in Orlando, FL

I worked at Bloomingdale's part-time for less than a year

Pros

Benefits, discounts, perceived employee recognition

Cons

POS (Point Of Sale) computer training was a nightmare for me . I did inform HR that I was not a terribly fast learner, not a problem I was told, problem. I was put on a training computer connected to the POS training terminal and told I needed to learn it all before they let me on the sales floor. What happened to, "not a problem"? After five and one half hours of frustration, there is a lot to learn, I asked if I could leave and continue tomorrow. One of the officers of the company came over with a dour look on his face. The end result was that he told me he never had anyone wanting to give up and try again the next day. The other part of the equation was that it was 25 miles and 45 minutes each way through three different major freeways, having to wear a black suit every day, plus being told that certain sales people could never meet their commission just selling one product. Two days was enough for me.

Be more empathetic towards older prospective employees that are not accustomed to POS systems such as yours.

God experience overall

Current Employee - Womens Shoe Salesman
    Current Employee - Womens Shoe Salesman

I have been working at Bloomingdale's full-time for less than a year

Pros

Flexible hours, discount, good benefits, chances for advancement

Cons

inventory was poor so customers constantly frustrated, too many associates in a commissioned area, not always interviewing for the position you applied to.

While the return policy is great for the customer, it is terrible for a commissioned associate. Accepting back used, worn merchandise, or products bought a year or more ago is discouraging.

WIN SOME....VERY LITTLE IN THIS CASE

I worked at Bloomingdale's full-time for less than a year

Pros

Lovely co-workers make it a bearable daily experience.

Cons

Draw/commission is ridiculous, especially at a 6% rate. Return policy is unfair. Previously sold items, even ones sold years ago, come out of seller's paycheck. Total disconnect between upper management and sellers is so loud it echoes throughout the store.

Be realistic and put yourselves in your employees shoes They are working long hours and not exactly bringing home the proverbial bacon. Daily Rallies are BS

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

DO NOT WORK HERE. REPEAT: DO NOT WORK HERE.

Current Employee - Sales Professional  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Professional in New York, NY

I have been working at Bloomingdale's full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great discount. Great associates (except for the girls that work for MAC: they think they're above everyone else somehow).

Cons

Everything. Horrible hours. Horrible health insurance (very expensive yet covers NOTHING). Horrible pay. Horrible management. "Managers" are hired straight out of school and usually have little to no work experience. Horrible dress code. Horrible operations. Horrible sales. Horrible merchandise. Horrible return policy. Draw vs. commission means when it's slow or when the buyers get it wrong or when it RAINS you might not make your draw and you wind up owing Bloomingdale's money.

Follow the example of your more high end competitors i.e; Neiman Marcus, Nordstrom and Bergdorf Goodman: pay your employees a wage that will actually cover their living expenses and you wouldn't have to deal with a barrage of complaint letters/emails. Your employees aren't helpful/happy because they're stressed out: they can't pay their bills, they're at the mercy of an OPEN return policy which directly affects their pay, they can't take vacations without worrying about going into deficit, etc. Also, you should PROMOTE FROM WITHIN. Stop hiring 22 year old college graduates to manage highly experienced SALES PROFESSIONALS. Also, if you're so worried about DIVERSITY then perhaps you should think about hiring people besides Caucasians to fill managerial roles.

sales

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY

I worked at Bloomingdale's full-time

Pros

It's a fun place to work, nice coworkers, good employee discounts and a good place to learn fashion.

Cons

need to wear all black all the time, and the training process was way too long.

sales associate

I worked at Bloomingdale's

Pros

It was a fun environment with high potential for career advancement

Cons

With any retail/sales job there is always high competition

be more involved

Cannot get in contact with anyone, i never worked here but i want to. It is impossible to reach someone in corporate

I worked at Bloomingdale's

Pros

none that i can think of yet

Cons

lack of communication for propective employee

Consider not to send extremely genertic emails to propective employees that they did not get the job.

Never again

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Garden City, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Garden City, NY

I worked at Bloomingdale's full-time for more than a year

Pros

Associate discount was the only thing that I appreciated

Cons

Horrible management, unrealistic expectations, they dont look out for the "little people", no room for growth, turning into some kind of Century 21 department. A MESS!

Take care of your employees and your employees will take care of you.

Don't ever work at bloomimgdales!!

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Bloomingdale's

Pros

lots of vacation time! great discounts

Cons

"Like no other store in the world" the devil says! This place treats all of their employees badly no respect. the pressure to open credits is ridiculous..... several people took a heart attack at the 59th street store due to the level of stress from the job! they took away our rotation weekends.they talk down to us. all of the ceo's are stuck up. they dont acknowledge us. they set u up for failure when it comes to your reviews. this B-connected is a total waste of money. (this is not a hair salon or a dentist ) ever since the 59th street store affiliated with macys it changed for the worst! worst move bloomingdales could have ever done! dont work here you won't have a life.the hour's are not even livable.

treat us with respect. care about our needs and realize we do try everyday. but you do expect us to achieve any goals when its not realistic! give us our rotation weekends back because we do have lives and family. you guys are running us down even to the point of death!

like no other place

I have been working at Bloomingdale's full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

freedom to be creative with merchandising/visuals.

Cons

There is not enough support

Bloomingdale's Photos

Outside of the Flagship store for Bloomingdale's department store, located on Lexington Avenue in New York City. (Photo by Coolcaesar - available under under CC-BY-NC-SA 3.0 & GFDL, v1.2)
The Fortress that is the Beverly Center
Magnolia Bakery at Bloomingdale's

+ Add Photo

Worked for Bloomingdale's? Contribute to the Community!