Bloomingdale's Reviews

Great Opportunity

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Aventura, FL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Aventura, FL

I worked at Bloomingdale's full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great opportunity for growth and advancement, promotes intercompany skills and product knowledge

Cons

Too much pressure for credit card openings; Need for client return revisit; some of merchandise damaged or used and we still had to accept the merchandise

Good growth opportunity and fairness

Current Employee - Women's Fragrance Manager in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Women's Fragrance Manager in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Bloomingdale's

Pros

If you're a hard worker and like to exceed goals Bloomingdale's is a great employment opportunity. Your success is measured solely on client sales and relationship building.

Cons

Time off is managed completely around the marketing calendar. Very hard to take vacations when you would like if there are events going on in the store.

Advice to Management

Vacation time is very hard to schedule around the multiple events occurring in the store monthly. Time is measured on events not as much on personally when you would like to take your vacation time.

Good experience an a learning opportunity

Former Employee - Sales Professional
    Former Employee - Sales Professional

I worked at Bloomingdale's

Pros

Fast paced environment and very competitive. If you like retail this is an excellent place and a learning experience. Great employee discounts and a good place for networking.

Cons

Work on the schedule system. Too many managers and it takes a long process to make a final decision

5. it can be a lot of fun, but you get what you work for and can have very difficult clients

Former Employee - Sales Professional in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Professional in New York, NY

I worked at Bloomingdale's full-time (More than a year)

Pros

it can be fun on good days, the pay can be great depending the day and the discount

Cons

the pay on a bad day
    each dept is different

Advice to Management

give us base salary

6. full time sales associate

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Bloomingdale's full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

You really get to take ownership of a business and depending on what you do with that will determine your success. Great discounts, good management team, generally nice coworkers, great assortment of products to sell

Cons

The company places too much importance on Client selling ,relationship and honestly appeasing that is a time waste/distraction. Opening store credit cards is a major part of the culture and hearing about it daily can be rather tiresome. The commission structure draw verses commission system creates an anti team climate, The way you are paid under the draw verses commission structure can be incredibly daunting when business is slow . Growth within is nonexistent.

Advice to Management

In a changing retail culture the draw verses commission structure may need some tweaking. Base plus commission? the importance of client sales should be a tool for us to grow sales and not part of our review

7. Seasonal Sales

Former Employee - Sales in Hackensack, NJ
    Former Employee - Sales in Hackensack, NJ

I worked at Bloomingdale's

Pros

The discount was the best part of working here. They offered double discounts throughout the months on certain brands and items. Pick up unwanted shifts in every department.

Cons

Rude customers and sometimes rude coworkers. Managers aren't very helpful. Never explained sales or promo's, often customers would explain them to me.

Advice to Management

Always be on time. Take extra shifts. Give grade a customer service. Never share discount. Ask for help when needed.

Never Again

Former Employee - Sales Professional in McLean, VA
    Former Employee - Sales Professional in McLean, VA

I worked at Bloomingdale's full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good employee discount, smokers heaven - the employee can smoke at the employee entrance (no restriction by company)

Cons

Daily employee conflict (argument, harassment) on the sales floor, lack of problem solution skills & lack of communications to the employees,NO CAREER ADVANCEMENT (no one has promoted to be a manager or development program), unfriendly & non trustworthy management. Profiling subjects by Loss Prevention (Not only Macy's issue)

Advice to Management

TAKE CARE OF EMPLOYEES at all levels and all issues. You only focus on your same level or your boss.
    Management only focus on their employment security, never focus on their employee issues.
    All Sales Managers needs to have selling time, that's the way, they will be understand what happens on the sales floor.

9. Commission Sucks

I worked at Bloomingdale's

Pros

Great discounts and excellent variety of clothing brands

Cons

I worked for a leased space and we were limited in what we could and could not do

Advice to Management

Communicate better

10. Just stay away. Poor management. No one cares. Terrible Pay. Cannot move up.

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Wayne, NJ
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Wayne, NJ

I have been working at Bloomingdale's full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Discount. You meet really great people you work with. Around fashion. Working with your clients was always nice. I am a people person so I always love working with people and fashion!

Cons

Customers could be so hard to work with when they were nasty. Returns is really ridiculous the return policy is ridiculous. No moving up. Retail working hours, sometimes you end up working 8 days in a row. Standing on your feet too long. Commission is a joke, and so sad to allow your employees to barely make a living off of nothing. You're in a deficit 95% of the time paying back your hard earned money because of their terrible return system. Pay is disgusting. To them you are just a number and they don't care about you. You cannot move up in the company. Everyone is miserable. If you are a shark, go against policy and act the incorrect way but sell a lot you will get rewarded, never get in trouble for your actions if you sell a ton (the wrong way). If you do the right thing and work the right way and work fair, you get treated like nothing. A lot of sales goals were unachievable, especially when it was super slow and you are working with people that help 5 customers, while everyone else has none. Too much pressure.

Advice to Management

When I started I loved it, and then the wrong morals and ethics around this company really turned me off. I was treated terribly over the silliest thing, when I truly worked so hard and took pride in what I did, and worked correctly, and followed the rules. But the way the company mistreats their employees who actually do their job correctly is a disgrace. Appreciate your sales associates, and start getting on the floor and helping them when its busy. Listen to your sales associates they know what is going on more then upper management (who have no clue). Start actually following your company policy and abiding by the rules not just with some employees with all.

Work hard and gets a lot of money

I worked at Bloomingdale's

Pros

Selling at Bloomingdales is simple if you're ready to focus. I made a ton of money working only 15 hours a week. Most weeks were $300-$400 after taxes on a good week I made over $600. Some of my co workers complained about not making any money but they were the ones messing around and talking to each other and ignoring customers.

Cons

It can get irritating if people start stealing sales. You have to make sure you keep an eye on your customers or someone else could ring them up. In my particular department, if you were courteous and didn't steal sales, others returned the favor. I heard in other departments it is much more cut throat.

Advice to Management

I wish that they would simplify some of the sales. We would have like 3 different promotions going at once and it got confusing for the sales associates as well as the customers