Bloomingdale's Reviews

Bloomingdale's CEO Tony Spring
Tony Spring

1. Fun, yet stressful.

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Bloomingdale's full-time (less than a year)

Pros

the atmosphere and the people were the best part. interesting customers and interactions with them made the workday fly by.

Cons

being a busy store, it is understandable that things get messy, but this store was unreasonable.

Advice to Management

more precense of management on the floor and more willingness to help those who are new.

2. lots of walking on concrete for 9 hours in ballet flats or heels waiting on pushy, impatient customers.

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at Bloomingdale's part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The pay is on draw, not hourly so your hourly gets deducted from your exceeding commission. However, usually it works in your favor.

Cons

If you work November through Christmas, the pay can be amazing, even up to a grand a week on my best checks but if you stay with the company from January to June or July, you will suffer from Christmas returns and owing the company money for each return they originally paid you for which gets deducted out of what you would be making during those months. Also, management has been under significant pressure to increase sales so they tripled the staff. Now instead of it being a one to one ratio (customer to sales person), there are about 3-4 sales people per customer. In a commission only environment, if you're not the one selling to the customer, you're the one not making money that week.

Advice to Management

Stop over hiring and creating a hostile, competitive work environment that annoys customers and forces desperate sales reps to act like vultures just to get by.

Decent college job

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Bloomingdale's part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Flexible scheduling, employees are able to pick up and switch shifts using the computer system. Employee discount is pretty good when there are sales going on. I was technically just an evening/weekend employee so I wasn't eligible for benefits but I think if your part-time (20 hours +?) you can get benefits which seems pretty good.

Cons

My location was very slow at times and it can be difficult to reach sales goals. Employees can be very clicky and work feels like high school sometimes. Foul play sometimes with commissions.