Bloomsbury

Bloomsbury Executive Director; President, Bloomsbury USA Richard Charkin
Richard Charkin

Good experience

I worked at Bloomsbury full-time

Pros

Working in publishing was a noble pursuit.

Cons

Not a lot of room to grow due to the size of the company.

Great place to start, but not enough for growth.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Bloomsbury full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

There's a real sense of teamwork and collaboration, due to the dedicated staff. Implementing changes is also relatively easy because the company (in the U.S.) is on the smaller side. It's a great place to start and learn about publishing.

Cons

The size of the company makes it difficult to grow. Not easy to take time off because it is understaffed. Compensation does not match those of its competitors.

Invest in the employees. Make them happy and the company will prosper.

Growing company still finding its feet

Current Employee - Assistant Editor in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Assistant Editor in New York, NY

I have been working at Bloomsbury full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Talented colleagues. Sense of growth and change. Company is investing is US growth.

Cons

Few incentives to go above and beyond. Salaries not on scale with industry. Hiring is not keeping pace with growth expectations.

Growth comes through growing talent not just cutting costs.

Amazing opportunity

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I worked at Bloomsbury

Pros

Working at the London branch, my adult marketing division was very relaxed and enjoyable to work for. The company is very personable and I never felt intimidated by upper management. At all times I felt as though there was someone there to help, and while the workplace was professional, it let it's guard down enough to have 'real' conversations with upper management.

Cons

Sadly I entered at a time when the company was undergoing a massive restructuring, accounting for most of my coworkers to be marked redundant within my first month. At the end of the day Bloomsbury is still a business.

Marking employees as redundant for the purpose of buying out other publishers creates skepticism and uncertainty in an otherwise fun and enjoyable working environment. As the saying goes, Quality > Quantity. Work on what you currently have to make sure you're doing everything to the best of your ability before you decide to buy into more titles.

Intern

Current Intern - Bloomsbury in London, England (UK)
    Current Intern - Bloomsbury in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Bloomsbury as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Friendly coworkers and small business feel. Interns are actually given responsibilities and taught to do tasks Assistant Editors take care of, so very useful and rewarding if you want to pursue an editing career. Great insight into the world of publishing. You will definitely be made to work; don't expect to be making photocopies and coffee.

Cons

Very hard to get an internship if you don't have contacts/connections in the company; a lot of their internships aren't advertised.

Give more people the opportunity to intern here.

The best at what it does

I have been working at Bloomsbury

Pros

Friendly, wonderful people, great entrepreneurial spirit, successful, loyal. Very focused on authors doing well. Strong sense of purpose - "quality books will always find readers".

Cons

Growing pains - internal systems and work processes can hold staff back, with minimal investment to improve.. Traditional, slow to adopt new ways of working be that business models, products or staff practices.

Use your increasing scale to embrace change and invest in doing things better.

Great perks, lots of bureaucratic roadblocks

Former Employee - Production in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Production in London, England (UK)

I worked at Bloomsbury

Pros

The absolute best perk was getting to meet and hear readings from authors once a month – BRILLIANT. The in-office massages and doctor visits were great too, and the flexibility in terms of working from home or out of the country (dependent on the position/manager, of course). The office is beautiful and well located and the tea selection is great too!

Cons

The bureaucratic nonsense gets frustrating – there's not a ton of encouragement to think outside the box, and it can be difficult to move up in positions. They also restructured a lot while I was there, which created a general feeling of uncertainty among staff.

I think instilling more trust in staff and encouraging them to share ideas, even if they're a bit wacky, would go a long way. Obviously better pay and more permanent positions (rather than freelance/contract) would be nice but there seems to be a big block at the top where that's concerned.