Bloomspot

Bloomspot Reviews

Updated May 29, 2014

Jasper Malcolmson

overall pretty good

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prossmart, nice people. great perks. good office vibe.

Consconsistently directionless, lost little puppy

Fun company at one point, but always chaotic

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThere were definitely good moments at Bloomspot. The people were always great; hard-working, motivated, intelligent. During the peak times, it was a fun although exhausting experience. I learned more in those few months than I ever had.

ConsUltimately, it wasn't to be. The industry as a whole is dying, and there was no difference there. Leadership was never the best, and often made shortsighted decisions that would hurt in the long term. However, it ultimately would not have mattered.

Great People, Company had wrong priorities

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsThe people are great. Flexible hours, some catered food.
    Overall the company has a good "feel" and culture. The company is small enough to get access to the high-level executives.

ConsWay too much prioritization of the "short-term". The company constantly focuses to hit THIS month's numbers without any regard to next month.
    Sales compensation structure often doesn't coincide with the company's ultimate goals.
    Tech resources & capabilities are way behind industry-standard.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

The opportunity to make a real impact on a company while gaining valuable career experience.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

Pros- Innovative and collaborative team where ideas are heard, considered and implemented
    - Everyone is approachable throughout all management layers, including the Executive Team
    - Competitive and generous compensation for talented sales individuals and opportunities for career growth
    - Offer a great merchant and consumer facing product and represent a brand that provides a real marketing solution
    - Fast paced, start-up environment with a unique, fun culture
    - Every day is different

Cons- Office layout is very open and can sometimes promote distractions
    - Systems and processes throughout the entire organization would benefit from more optimization and additional resources

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in the team by providing on-going training and professional development tools for their areas of expertise.

Visionary leadership, excellent coaching, and being part of the best team in the space

Senior Account Executive (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsIt is awesome to be part of a company that has always been the best player in the space, and thanks to our CEO's vision and leadership, is now poised to become the dominant player in the space! Also, free massages, dogs at work, and an extremely positive, motivated and skilled team

ConsIf you like hierarchy/bureaucracy and don't like a startup culture, Bloomspot might not be a great fit for you

Happy Salesperson

Senior Account Executive (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsInnovative and fun company to work for. Bloomspot has taken a "Bloomingdale's" approach to an industry full of "Walmarts" which gives a salesperson a big edge. Very good earning potential for someone who puts their head down and works. Opportunity to share opinions and be heard by senior management. Just agreed to be acquired by JPMorgan Chase. Sky's the limit!

ConsBloomspot has gone through some things that I would imagine are normal for start-ups. Some good and talented people have been left behind. It is tough to build a comp plan that is fair across the board for what we do.

Advice to Senior ManagementTo Chase: I hope you keep the same culture that allows employees to freely share ideas and feel listened to.

Young, motivated startup delivering great content to our subscribers while providing tangible value to our partners.

Account Executive (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsThe atmosphere is amazing. In a good way, the culture is prototypical of the startup scene: office in SOMA, open work spaces, casual dress, dogs in the office, fresh fruit, work hard - play hard approach, and very youthful.

ConsWe are constantly discovering and rediscovering who we are. We have gone through a lot of iterations and most likely will continue to evolve into the future. Daily deals and local offers are akin to wearing a scarlet letter. They are most certainly no longer the flavor of the day.

The best job ever!!!

Sales (Current Employee)

ProsAmazing people, the ability to speak directly with the creators of this amazing product and pitch innovative and new ideas. The direction from day one to focus on our merchants success as much as our sales numbers. A overall collaborative work environment that is always changing and always fun.

ConsNo cons unless you don't like the ever changing needs of a start up.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the great work!!!

Great environment for the self-directed and ambitious

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsLeadership always looking for ambitious employees to take ownership over key employee processes and take seriously all suggestions regarding improving systems, process, and/or culture. Most teams have some real stars who make working with them a real pleasure; these same people also ensure that things that need getting done, get done.

At its core, Bloomspot culture is also positive and self-affirming (though there have been rough patches - see cons). The folks here are supportive of each other and the senior leadership are among the teams greatest cheerleaders.

ConsThough the strategic vision and high-level direction from the C-suite has been consistent, day-to-day and week-to-week priorities can shift. Also, following a round of layoffs in 2011 career growth suffered as people became more narrowly tied to their roles.

Advice to Senior ManagementBringing on good people comes with benefits and costs. Benefit is you get great people who can do fast and impactful work. The cost is you have to work to keep them interested. Ensuring that folks across the team have interesting projects, rather than just day-to-day work is of the utmost importance to keep them engaged - even when the company is focused on just keeping the ship moving forward.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Amazing company to work for in an exciting space with an incredible team!

Account Executive (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsGreat team of smart, forward-thinking, collaborative, creative, FUN people
    Competitive salary and OTE; generous commissions & spiffs
    No micro-management
    Excellent work/life balance; if you are hitting your sales goals there is a lot of flexibility around setting your own schedule
    Dog-friendly!
    Lunch and snacks provided throughout the week
    Open door policy with executive team; employees are encouraged to share ideas, suggestions, concerns, etc.
    CEO with an incredible vision who is transforming this space
    Great location

ConsTypical start-up kinks
    Questionable employee promotion process between Account Executives and Senior Account Executives; there is no documented process that lays out the steps to promotion and expected abilities at each step (there are some AEs consistently outperforming Senior AEs)

Worked for Bloomspot? Contribute to the Community!