Bloomspot

Bloomspot Reviews

Jasper Malcolmson

Really good experience overall

San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Bloomspot part-time for more than a year

ProsTrue opportunity to contribute to product and make a difference
Talented, dynamic and fun co-workers
Merchants really appreciate the customers we send them

ConsErratic growth and retraction was stressful and distracting
Poor healthcare coverage

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more forthcoming with and transparent with information to employees around company status..

Fun company at one point, but always chaotic

I worked at Bloomspot

ProsThere were definitely good moments at Bloomspot. The people were always great; hard-working, motivated, intelligent. During the peak times, it was a fun although exhausting experience. I learned more in those few months than I ever had.

ConsUltimately, it wasn't to be. The industry as a whole is dying, and there was no difference there. Leadership was never the best, and often made shortsighted decisions that would hurt in the long term. However, it ultimately would not have mattered.

Awesome company, good people

I worked at Bloomspot full-time for more than 3 years

Pros1.Visibility of work is high
2.Cool to see what you do gets released to public, very gratifying
3.Most talented and drive group of ppl I've ever worked with
4.Information given to the employees is unfiltered and transparent
5.Get fully exposed to how creative ideas are born, fine tuned and then executed

Cons1.Office layout can be noisy and somewhat distracting
2.High pressure environment. Almost everyone is smart and hardworking, which creates a competitive atmosphere
3.Company had rapid growth, hard to move around/ change divisions
4.Expect to work long hours in crunch time

Advice to Senior ManagementJasper is an amazing CEO, easy to talk to, and make a point of connecting to people at every level of the company to get feedback and act on it to make the company better. I think this is crucial and he is an integral piece as the company continues to grow.

Fun culture, bustling SoMa location, and great perks

Manager (Current Employee)

Pros• Catered breakfast and lunches
• Management is not terribly top heavy and let's everyone have an opinion
• Constantly evolving product
• Flexible hours

Cons• Very little opportunities for career growth
• Culture feels very young at times
• CEO only acknowledges sales and engineers - zero name recognition
• Compensation is very top heavy
• No commuter benefits

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't play favorites and consider hiring from within the company to provide options for career growth.

Great People, Company had wrong priorities

I worked at Bloomspot full-time

ProsThe people are great. Flexible hours, some catered food.
Overall the company has a good "feel" and culture. The company is small enough to get access to the high-level executives.

ConsWay too much prioritization of the "short-term". The company constantly focuses to hit THIS month's numbers without any regard to next month.
Sales compensation structure often doesn't coincide with the company's ultimate goals.
Tech resources & capabilities are way behind industry-standard.

The opportunity to make a real impact on a company while gaining valuable career experience.

I have been working at Bloomspot full-time for more than 3 years

Pros- Innovative and collaborative team where ideas are heard, considered and implemented
- Everyone is approachable throughout all management layers, including the Executive Team
- Competitive and generous compensation for talented sales individuals and opportunities for career growth
- Offer a great merchant and consumer facing product and represent a brand that provides a real marketing solution
- Fast paced, start-up environment with a unique, fun culture
- Every day is different

Cons- Office layout is very open and can sometimes promote distractions
- Systems and processes throughout the entire organization would benefit from more optimization and additional resources

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in the team by providing on-going training and professional development tools for their areas of expertise.

Visionary leadership, excellent coaching, and being part of the best team in the space

Senior Account Executive (Current Employee)

I have been working at Bloomspot full-time for more than a year

ProsIt is awesome to be part of a company that has always been the best player in the space, and thanks to our CEO's vision and leadership, is now poised to become the dominant player in the space! Also, free massages, dogs at work, and an extremely positive, motivated and skilled team

ConsIf you like hierarchy/bureaucracy and don't like a startup culture, Bloomspot might not be a great fit for you

Happy Salesperson

Senior Account Executive (Current Employee)

I have been working at Bloomspot full-time for more than a year

ProsInnovative and fun company to work for. Bloomspot has taken a "Bloomingdale's" approach to an industry full of "Walmarts" which gives a salesperson a big edge. Very good earning potential for someone who puts their head down and works. Opportunity to share opinions and be heard by senior management. Just agreed to be acquired by JPMorgan Chase. Sky's the limit!

ConsBloomspot has gone through some things that I would imagine are normal for start-ups. Some good and talented people have been left behind. It is tough to build a comp plan that is fair across the board for what we do.

Advice to Senior ManagementTo Chase: I hope you keep the same culture that allows employees to freely share ideas and feel listened to.

Young, motivated startup delivering great content to our subscribers while providing tangible value to our partners.

Account Executive (Current Employee)

I have been working at Bloomspot full-time for more than a year

ProsThe atmosphere is amazing. In a good way, the culture is prototypical of the startup scene: office in SOMA, open work spaces, casual dress, dogs in the office, fresh fruit, work hard - play hard approach, and very youthful.

ConsWe are constantly discovering and rediscovering who we are. We have gone through a lot of iterations and most likely will continue to evolve into the future. Daily deals and local offers are akin to wearing a scarlet letter. They are most certainly no longer the flavor of the day.

The best job ever!!!

Sales (Current Employee)

I have been working at Bloomspot full-time for more than 3 years

ProsAmazing people, the ability to speak directly with the creators of this amazing product and pitch innovative and new ideas. The direction from day one to focus on our merchants success as much as our sales numbers. A overall collaborative work environment that is always changing and always fun.

ConsNo cons unless you don't like the ever changing needs of a start up.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the great work!!!

Worked for Bloomspot? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Bloomspot reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Bloomspot CEO Jasper Malcolmson. All 33 reviews posted anonymously by Bloomspot employees.