Bloomspot Reviews

The best job ever!!!

Current Employee - Sales
    Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at Bloomspot full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Amazing people, the ability to speak directly with the creators of this amazing product and pitch innovative and new ideas. The direction from day one to focus on our merchants success as much as our sales numbers. A overall collaborative work environment that is always changing and always fun.

Cons

No cons unless you don't like the ever changing needs of a start up.

Keep up the great work!!!

Great environment for the self-directed and ambitious

I have been working at Bloomspot full-time for more than a year

Pros

Leadership always looking for ambitious employees to take ownership over key employee processes and take seriously all suggestions regarding improving systems, process, and/or culture. Most teams have some real stars who make working with them a real pleasure; these same people also ensure that things that need getting done, get done.

At its core, Bloomspot culture is also positive and self-affirming (though there have been rough patches - see cons). The folks here are supportive of each other and the senior leadership are among the teams greatest cheerleaders.

Cons

Though the strategic vision and high-level direction from the C-suite has been consistent, day-to-day and week-to-week priorities can shift. Also, following a round of layoffs in 2011 career growth suffered as people became more narrowly tied to their roles.

Bringing on good people comes with benefits and costs. Benefit is you get great people who can do fast and impactful work. The cost is you have to work to keep them interested. Ensuring that folks across the team have interesting projects, rather than just day-to-day work is of the utmost importance to keep them engaged - even when the company is focused on just keeping the ship moving forward.

Amazing company to work for in an exciting space with an incredible team!

Current Employee - Account Executive  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Account Executive in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Bloomspot

Pros

Great team of smart, forward-thinking, collaborative, creative, FUN people
    Competitive salary and OTE; generous commissions & spiffs
    No micro-management
    Excellent work/life balance; if you are hitting your sales goals there is a lot of flexibility around setting your own schedule
    Dog-friendly!
    Lunch and snacks provided throughout the week
    Open door policy with executive team; employees are encouraged to share ideas, suggestions, concerns, etc.
    CEO with an incredible vision who is transforming this space
    Great location

Cons

Typical start-up kinks
    Questionable employee promotion process between Account Executives and Senior Account Executives; there is no documented process that lays out the steps to promotion and expected abilities at each step (there are some AEs consistently outperforming Senior AEs)

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I have thoroughly enjoyed working at Bloomspot! Stellar start up with awesome employees (both current and former).

Current Employee - Senior Account Executive  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Bloomspot full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Work hard, play hard.
    - Company culture (great people, cool office, fun activities, etc).
    - Office location (SOMA, near Caltrain and Muni).
    - Snacks & meals are plentiful.
    - Open door policy with management.
    - Generous comp & spiffs.
    - Team work environment.
    - Executives sit at regular desks mixed in with employees.

Cons

- Start-up kinks.
    - Executives do not have an accurate picture of who the top performers (or performers for that matter) actually are.
    - Slackers seem to go unnoticed.
    - Compensation is inconsistent and unfair, often rewarding the wrong people / behavior.
    - Spiffs do not make sense and encourage quantity vs quality.

Invest in those who have stayed loyal to the company. I know this is the case in certain departments but not across the board.

A start-up of great ups and downs, but overall a valuable experience and worthwhile.

Former Employee - Account Executive  in  San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Account Executive in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Bloomspot full-time for more than a year

Pros

-- free snacks-- who can complain about that?
    -- dog friendly-- they really took away stress and added humor to the office
    -- casual dress-- hoodie and jeans totally appropriate
    -- competitive base salary and OTE for sellers
    -- convenient SOMA location-- close to ATT park, Muni and restaurants
    -- the employees are friends-- you cannot top the camaraderie of the ground troops
    -- structured mentoring program-- you aren't just left to figure it out
    -- flat structure--the CEO and top execs work at the same open tables you do
    -- ability to shadow other departments to foster understanding of different roles
    -- Mac computers

Cons

With great ups, came great downs, so while everyday was not the same nor predictable, that is the norm of being in a start up. Resilience is required.

The daily deal companies as a whole are struggling to evolve as merchants are leery of deal sites and coupon purchasing customers realized they don't redeem most of the certificates they buy so they cut back on spend. It's a tougher sell as you do not sell a product but negotiate a discount at a minimum of 40% off then require 50-40% commission on sold certificates so a fair time to ramp is necessary.

In the sales role you will be account executive, relationship manager, renewal specialist, and technical support to get loyalty program set up-- the work doesn't stop once the contract is signed which diverts focus and adds frustration. The quota doesn't reward activation of loyalty program which was a key focus, but time away form closing more business.

Invest in additional training for managers. That qualities and strengths that makes someone a great seller is vastly different than what makes someone a great manager.

Better define how employees are measured across the board. Having a clear career path for team members with set ways to measure success, growth and opportunities will be helpful.

Invest in the culture again, that was your STRONGEST asset which took a couple of hits as the company grew.

Bring back a small team in charge of Encore and customer success: solely responsible for activation of Encore, MID collecting, and ROI reports. This way sellers can better focus on hunting than farming.

Have an idea bank where employees can publish and get credit for their ideas.

Great company with strong leadership

Current Employee - Creative Director  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Creative Director in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Bloomspot full-time for more than a year

Pros

My experience at Bloomspot has been incredible. I've had the opportunity to rebrand the company from the ground up with the support and thoughtful contributions of the co-founders Jasper Malcolmson, Ashish Baldua, and members of the product and marketing teams. The company nurtures creativity and innovation and has proven to be a strong leader in the daily deals space. Bloomspot's recent acquisition by JP Morgan Chase is a testament to its success.

Cons

The health care / benefits could be better. We have no monthly employee contribution, but very high deductibles and co-pays.

Much of my positive experience here is attributed to co-founder Jasper Malcolmson who has provided an environment for me to explore, develop, and essentially immerse myself in creating and maintaining the Bloomspot brand. My personal experience aside, Jasper leads with integrity and insight and has a keen ability to connect with the company in ways that motivate and challenge us to do our best. His charisma and enthusiasm make Bloomspot a great place to work.

Started well and soon turned into a sinking ship.

Former Employee - Account Executive  in  San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Account Executive in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Bloomspot full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great co-workers
    Used to have great work/life balance
    Compensation

Cons

Poor management
    Un-evolved product
    Lack of communication
    Constantly changing sales goals

lots of smart, sharp people. very little micromanaging. never an average day-to-day.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Bloomspot full-time for less than a year

Pros

- fun company culture
    - smart, young team
    - excellent work/life balance
    - work is always changing, never dull
    - lots of internal mobility
    - will probably never find smarter and more fun bunch of people to work with
    - people are genuinely friends outside of work

Cons

- management can be narrow minded and stubborn with respect to new ideas
    - engineering and product bottle neck prevents innovation
    - part of quickly changing, generally lukewarm daily deal industry
    - employees who have been around since company inception get away minimal work

- let your employees prove you wrong
    - hire a dedicated director of email marketing instead of allowing product to (poorly) manage email
    - AEs get a lot of recognition because sales is inevitably competitive. give recognition to other teams, too. we all work hard.

I love working at Bloomspot

I have been working at Bloomspot

Pros

The people are great and the culture is great. The company is continually seeking ways to improve.

Cons

Since it is still a start up, sometimes things are a little chaotic.

Kicking myself for still working here...

I have been working at Bloomspot

Pros

Very little micromanaging
    Cento coffee is quite good

Cons

bloomspot is all the things wrong with startup culture. This is not "hip" or "cool." There is very little that separates bloomspot from working at an insurance agency or Bank of America. This is the most corporate acting startup I have worked for in the city -- or even heard about from friends. In other words, bloomspot has very little of the perks of working for a startup. The pay is EXTREMELY low. I cannot speak for the management, etc., but the pay is just the minimum they can get away with. The vision for the company seems weirdly outdated -- where "checking in on Foursquare" is considered a new, cutting edge marketing campaign. I guess they just got hold of basic social media from 18 months ago. I've dubbed weekly meetings "Meme Death Watch" because by the time upper management has learned of "Friday" or the "Honey Badger" video and used it in a meeting, that meme is officially dead. No one feels secure or passionate in what is ultimately the coupon selling business. It's a highly uncreative place that runs on the naivety of post-collegiates who are working for peanuts (this is not exactly me, but it's obvious). There is just so little vision or anything innovative happening here. Jasper and Ashish drink their own kool-aid so much, they are unable to see that their employees are not thriving, and they are losing out on a ton of untapped potential. Get it together, guys. Your business won't survive if you keep ignoring what's obvious.

Focus on company culture again. I'm not asking for a free lunch or a swanky gift card, but right now, it feels like we should all be wearing name tags and khakis. There's nothing special left. So, address that. What makes your business special? Beyond revenue. And look internally to what people CAN do, not just what they ARE doing. There's a lot of ripe talent around here that isn't being mobilized. I've never seen a company whose best ideas came from mid-upper management. Get to know who's in the trenches. Get to know your pawns. Focusing on the knights and rooks is a sure way to lose the game. Good luck, guys.

Worked for Bloomspot? Contribute to the Community!