Blount International
www.blount.com Portland, OR 1000 to 5000 Employees

Blount International Reviews

Updated May 2, 2014
Blount International – Kansas City – “Double head mill”

Joshua L. (Josh) Collins

Great company

ProsBlount is a great company that provides employees with plenty of opportunities for advancement and training. Compensation is better than most comparable descriptions.

ConsThe company is large and with that comes bureacracy. Even with the current emphasis on lean, continuous improvement, and change, there is still a culture that embraces "this is the way we've always done it" - but that's changing rapidly.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue doing what you're doing. Changing the culture takes time - it's working.

Fnatastic company to work for with very nice coworkers; fun and nice benefits.benefits

Corporate Accountant (Current Employee)
    Portland, OR

ProsThe various people you get to work with and in my position that's a broad cross-section. Excellent benefits. Excellent work hours: flexible. Since it's a manufacturing company "you" are actually making something. A very broad array of employment needs. Excellent and nice management.

ConsSlow upward mobility: people like the place and tend to stay a long time. I've been there over 6 years.

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate a broader spectrum of advancement opportunities.

Purchasing Department is total chaos

Buyer (Former Employee)
    Portland, OR

ProsThey give free bagels and bananas

ConsToo many chiefs, not enough Indians

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure your Directors are not micro managing staff, allow them to communicate freely and not be so paranoid when their team is trying to ressolve issues. Hire experienced staff, and put the kabash on Managers and staff making fun of others in the work place who have physical impairments. Make sure your Management team knows not to swear at other staff members and belittle them in front of others. When someone in the department makes a mistake it should be a learning experience, one particular Manager sends e-mails to everyone letting them know you have made a mistake, too much backstabbing. Lastly, the training program really is terrible for new hires, and hiring interns doesn't help in getting work done right.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Sinking ship

Distribution Center Supervisor (Former Employee)
    Kansas City, MO

ProsThere was no upside to the job. There was no structure, The goal for the day was always changed dureing the day.

ConsThe company is bleeding out with temp labor. Their communication to mamgement staff is lacking. They have no foundation to build up the comapny. All their management staff was hired after they bought 3 companies and moved to a new building. They had no plan in place on how they wanted to complete a move let alone 3 new acquisitions. After 8 months into the move they still have 0 standard operating procedures and are basically winging it.

Advice to Senior ManagementTo build your policies and procedures and manage your people through them.

it was wonderful until we bought companies and decided to move. NOW no one knows what the hell is going on. T

Supervisor (Current Employee)
    Kansas City, MO

Proswas wonderful before the move. pay ok

Consyou won't get promoted for hard work. if you can plant your lips on someones ass then it might happen

Advice to Senior Managementyour workers make you or break you. and now you are broke

Somewhere to get a paycheck

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe salaries are decent and the health benefits are good so those are good points.
    There are chances to move around and up for some people.
    They are one of the few companies that still offer employee events like a company picnic and Children's Santa Party.

ConsThe company is very old school (think 1950s) in its approach to structure and the management of people.
    Over the years (I was there 13+) I saw the morale head down fast, and now most people are only showing up to get a paycheck.
    Communication between management and the general workforce is poor at best, and the main source of information is gossip.
    There is a strong atmosphere of politics and it truly matters who you know, more than what you know when trying to gain a new position. Sadly this has allowed a significant amount of nepotism into the workforce which only further drives down the morale.
    There is little meaningful employee feedback or resolution of known personnel issues by management, this leads to a general mistrust of both leadership and fellow co-workers making for a very eat or be eaten environment.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere needs to be stronger decision making skills at all levels of the company from the top to the bottom. When there are far more meetings than decisions made from those meetings an environment of ineffectiveness sets in and this is what has happened over the years. During my employment there I attended no less than 6 group meetings about the same problem, lots of conversation and even some flow charts and instructions to resolve the matter resulted. This was followed by management (on several levels) deciding something different or not requiring jobs to be done only to have another meeting to figure out what the problem was all over again, and I know there has been at least one more set of meetings on the same topic since I left. Make a decision and move forward with it having purpose in your movements, if you find out it is wrong later admit the shortcoming resolve to a new approach and follow it.
    Also there needs to be better communication at all levels of the company, the rumor-mill should not be the primary form of communicating what is going on to the masses.

This is a very political company.

Milwaukie, OR

ProsThe pay is good, and the benefits are good. These are pretty much the only pros I can think of about this company.

ConsThe employees at this company will stab you in the back if you're not watching out for yourself. It's a very 'kill or be killed' environment.

Blount International

Milwaukie, OR

ProsBlount International has a good track record with employees instilling longevity and loyalty. There were many people who were 20+ years and retired and as many 20+ years and still working.

ConsBlount International keeps employees and tries to grow them in their knowledge of company key metrics. However some people learn how to just get buy and sort of float through the system without giving 100%

Advice to Senior ManagementBlount is trying to buy certain competitors but they are in a commodities business. The bottom dollar will win most of the time. They need to innovate something spectacular and relative to their current customer base.

Don't like the environment

ProsThey offer good benefits. They have employee events, like Ice Cream Wednesdays, costs 0.75 per scoop, and yearly picnics and other things like that.

ConsNo bonus plans. I have never met more rude people at the manager level and above since I started with this company. Everyone is waiting to stab someone in the back. I haven't worked here long, and don't intend to for much longer.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop encouraging the atmosphere of politics.

Worked for Blount International? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Blount International reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Blount International CEO Joshua L. (Josh) Collins. All 19 reviews posted anonymously by Blount International employees.