www.blount.com

Joshua L. (Josh) Collins

Very good place to work

Current Employee - Leadership
    Current Employee - Leadership

I have been working at Blount International full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Quality of the place and structure to work (equipments, tools, etc), people relationship, listen people

Cons

Resistance to change, long term employees consider too much changes in place.

Keep on track to assure the future of the company. Give more empowerment to leaders and remember to consider cultural differences between countries

Blount cares and listens to their employees.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I have been working at Blount International full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I feel engaged and my opinion matters. Our CEO, Josh Collins is engaged and leads with humility. I like that we are focused on continuous improvement and strive to create a cohesive global team. There is great communication within the organization. I really enjoy attending our Kaizen report outs every week and I like that these are video conferenced globally and recorded, and that all employees are invited and encouraged to attend.

Cons

I do not have anything I don't like at Blount.

Continue to engage with your employees and listen to our opinions. Keep the lines of communication open.

Great experience working there last summer as an intern.

I worked at Blount International

Pros

Amazing caring management team that were very approachable. They care about people in the company.

Cons

I was pretty satisfied with all my experience.

Fnatastic company to work for with very nice coworkers; fun and nice benefits.benefits

Current Employee - Corporate Accountant in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Corporate Accountant in Portland, OR

I have been working at Blount International full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The various people you get to work with and in my position that's a broad cross-section. Excellent benefits. Excellent work hours: flexible. Since it's a manufacturing company "you" are actually making something. A very broad array of employment needs. Excellent and nice management.

Cons

Slow upward mobility: people like the place and tend to stay a long time. I've been there over 6 years.

Create a broader spectrum of advancement opportunities.

Blount has a lot of potential if they get the right management in plave

I have been working at Blount International full-time

Pros

Good benefits package. Lots of overtime.

Cons

No one gets in trouble very often for not doing their job.

Tell people to stop talking and do their job

A challenging and great place to work

Current Employee - Manager in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Manager in Portland, OR

I have been working at Blount International full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Comp/benefits. Great teammates that really care about the quality of work that they do as well as the products they manufacture and sell.

Cons

Work/life balance
    Missing processes in many if the different areas including planning, logistics, accounting, project management, and Admin in general. Plenty of opportunity for improvement.

Keep recruiting and retaining top notch personnel

Blount opportunities

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I worked at Blount International full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Educational aide, good matching 401K, and room for growth if your willing to put in effort and schooling. Very goog technical trades "apprenticeship" training. Blount is very team oriented, and pays better than most companies. The employees in manufacturing are well trained and care about what they do, they are some of the best people that a company could get!

Cons

Their sales forcasting has never been very accurate wich results in manufacturing fluctuations, poor sales and foreign competition picking up sales. Blount is closing its Milwaukie facility and is displacing "laying off" 225 employees, which include a large number of long term employees. Roughly 20-25% of its manufacturing work force is affected.

You are losing all your core employees that made Blount what it has become. There is way to much upper administration. When times get tough you let go the people that actually do the work! Stop with all the P4 business and just go with profits, your employees would respect you a lot more! Stop buying unprofitable companies and stick with the core business, saw chain.

Great co-workers, okay management that is leaning toward stockholder focus

I worked at Blount International full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great coworkers at all levels. Everyone is pretty willing to help with projects, as long as you are careful about understanding that they have other things to work on in addition to what you are asking of them.

Cons

During my employment the upper management got more and more vocal about how the employees are the most important asset of the company, but their actions showed that their real concern was about stock price, and spinning soft market conditions to look okay to major stock holders.

Slow down on acquiring new business units and focus on getting the organization moving in the same direction. Stop playing a numbers game with shipments to try and keep the stock prices up, it only ends up hurting the company the next month, and frustrating everyone with the rollercoaster of activity.

Great company

I have been working at Blount International full-time

Pros

Blount is a great company that provides employees with plenty of opportunities for advancement and training. Compensation is better than most comparable descriptions.

Cons

The company is large and with that comes bureacracy. Even with the current emphasis on lean, continuous improvement, and change, there is still a culture that embraces "this is the way we've always done it" - but that's changing rapidly.

Continue doing what you're doing. Changing the culture takes time - it's working.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukie, OR
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukie, OR

I worked at Blount International

Pros

Blount International has a good track record with employees instilling longevity and loyalty. There were many people who were 20+ years and retired and as many 20+ years and still working.

Cons

Blount International keeps employees and tries to grow them in their knowledge of company key metrics. However some people learn how to just get buy and sort of float through the system without giving 100%

Blount is trying to buy certain competitors but they are in a commodities business. The bottom dollar will win most of the time. They need to innovate something spectacular and relative to their current customer base.

Blount International Photos