Blount International Reviews

Joshua L. (Josh) Collins

Blount

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I worked at Blount International full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits (health, 401k, savings plus).

Cons

Unacceptable behavior from managers is just fine with this company (HR presence almost nonexistent). Those bad people use others to move up in the company and take all of the credit. Because of this tolerated behavior, most of the good people leave. They like to preach about how their people are most important in the company but it doesn't show. Also, annual pay increase for the people actually doing the work is 2% or less. Lots of greedy people who will use others to get what they want.

2. Business Analyst

Current Employee - Business Analyst
    Current Employee - Business Analyst

I have been working at Blount International

Pros

Good Company, great work life balance

Cons

Average Salary, I don't see any other constraint.

3. Manager

I have been working at Blount International full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The Blount Structure offered to people, open to listen, people is the priority, business diversification in last years, opex Investments and incentive.

Cons

No clear meritocracy in place and compensation system, resistant to change from several employees, too much concentrated in Headquarters decisions.

Advice to Management

Keep in the track to assure the long term outstanding company you are leading

Could be a great place!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukie, OR
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukie, OR

I worked at Blount International full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Huge cafeteria. Huge and modern workout room. Great team of people.

Cons

My direct manager was really nice, and very helpful. Unfortunately, s/he isn't the type of person one can share stuff with. S/he redirected it and attempted to relate a personal view or story.

Advice to Management

Share the 'me' time. Really listen to your subordinates. Play nice.

6. Not Too Bad

I worked at Blount International (More than 3 years)

Pros

The environment is pretty good, and the most of the people are very caring and friendly. Compensation is OK. Most people who work there care very much about the company as well as the people they work with.

Cons

Business model is not sustainable. The competitors who are in front of them are getting further ahead, and the competitors behind them are quickly catching up. Senior Leadership is letting second level management ruin morale and a positive working environment. It has been said by said management that "This is NOT a democracy" and they have well demonstrated that by ignoring the decisions of others despite having been given "authority" to make said decisions. There is only one way or the highway at this company right now, and that way is very scary.

Advice to Management

Let people do their jobs!

7. Ok enough, but limited advancement opportunities

I worked at Blount International

Pros

Solid, regular work, good benefits, open to improvement and change. Good working culture with a desire to meet and exceed goals.

Cons

Management can be rigid and often misunderstand feedback as complaints. There is not much room for advancement unless you curry a lot of favor for years. Even with a combination of experience and education, you are likely to be passed over.

Advice to Management

Recognize talent when you have it and cultivate that.

Very sad

Former Employee - Manager in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Manager in Portland, OR

I worked at Blount International full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A global company with a lot of potential, a lot of great talent throughout the organization, one of the best Continuous Improvement programs I have witnessed in the industry, the CEO (Josh Collins) leads by example and takes the time to know every employee.

Cons

While the rest of the company is positioned to succeed, Blount's supply chain is struggling. Horrible hiring practices has led to filling management positions based entirely on "feel" and not solid education / skills / experience. The morale in the supply chain is the lowest seen at any company I have worked for. Communication is nonexistent and favoritism is played on a daily basis. They have lost a lot of good talent this year due to the ignorance of poor leadership and poor project execution.

Advice to Management

Effective Communication and Change Management will do wonders.

Keep looking, this is not a place for long term growth unless your a gluten for punishment!

Current Employee - Manager in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Manager in Portland, OR

I have been working at Blount International full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

pay, and good people below Vp level

Cons

All Management should be retrained on ethics and emotional intelligence. This company has done a terrible job in the past 12 months at hiring above the Vp level. They have hired from companies that are known for their abusive tactics to motivate (more like de-motivate/scare) employees to perform.... Large amount of talking out the side of their mouth.

Advice to Management

Remove the "Cancer" from your organization that you have recently hired and replace with Management that cares about the skilled staff. I can see a large amount of your talent "mass exiting" in a short time. Work Life balance is horrid. Worst I have ever seen in my career.

10. Blount cares and listens to their employees.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I have been working at Blount International full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I feel engaged and my opinion matters. Our CEO, Josh Collins is engaged and leads with humility. I like that we are focused on continuous improvement and strive to create a cohesive global team. There is great communication within the organization. I really enjoy attending our Kaizen report outs every week and I like that these are video conferenced globally and recorded, and that all employees are invited and encouraged to attend.

Cons

I do not have anything I don't like at Blount.

Advice to Management

Continue to engage with your employees and listen to our opinions. Keep the lines of communication open.

My expereince at Blount International was less than I expected it to be.

Former Employee - Recruiter
    Former Employee - Recruiter

I worked at Blount International full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Both the assigned work schedule and the compensation offered are excellent for those individuals wanting/needing day shift/regular office hours for working by.

Cons

Available options for communication with members of the ET. , Department Managers, and Staff, are poor to weak at best. Resources offered to perform job duties with were scarce, in some instances incomplete, and overall inadequate for the end user.

Advice to Management

Listen more, talk less, exercise an open door policy, and practice professional business etiquette when in the presence of others.

RSS Feed </> Embed