Blount Memorial Hospital

Reset
3.1
Blount Memorial Hospital CEO Don Heinemann
Don Heinemann

1. A smaller community hospital with a big heart but small budget.

Current Employee - RN Critical Care in Maryville, TN
    Current Employee - RN Critical Care in Maryville, TN

I have been working at Blount Memorial Hospital full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I enjoy the people I work with and the whole culture of the area. Being in a smaller hospital has the advantage of not being part of some big conglomerate monster. People stay there to work because they consider themselves serving their community, their friends and treat patients like family, especially when a patient dies in the ICU setting. I like being a part of that.

Cons

Because the hospital is smaller, it has had to succumb to the budgeting idea of "productivity" staffing...like we're working in a factory instead of trying to treat patients and sometimes save human life, alleviate suffering. It's the same "con" of all hospitals now a days. I also believe the pay structure is way below the national average and that's not appropriate nor fair to those of us in the specialty areas in particular.

Advice to Management

Try to be more creative in the budgeting aspect of staffing. We are a community hospital founded and financed by people in the community originally. We should be better that the conglomerate "cut out/sellout' hospitals. Find the means to pay your people what they're worth, staff all the floors with the amount of staff you would want your own family to be happy and safe with. Put the "productivity" budgeting tool in the garbage where it belongs and challenge yourself to find the resources necessary for Blount Memorial to be an exceptional caregiver of the community, a place where people from all over will want to come to when sick and where everyone working there will be content with the working environment and feel appreciated for their contribution.

2. be afraid be very sfraid

I have been working at Blount Memorial Hospital

Pros

Some very caring people good nursing staff

Cons

Management has no idea what they are doing. As a result of this the care being provided is extremely sub par and dangerous

Advice to Management

Some one needs to buy this place and fire the whole lot of you

3. So so

Former Employee - Registered Nurse
    Former Employee - Registered Nurse

I worked at Blount Memorial Hospital

Pros

Good shifts on 12 hr schedules,

Cons

A lot of turnover in workforce. Not as much support from administration.

Advice to Management

Listen to employees concerns and try to retain seasoned staff.

Office Worker

Former Employee - Office Assistant
    Former Employee - Office Assistant

I worked at Blount Memorial Hospital full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

In recent years, not many pros. If you live in Maryville, it is close to home, that's about it.

Cons

The hospital has really changed over the years. Not a good environment to work in. Leadership at the hospital doesn't really care about employees and it shows. I have never seen the turnover so high or employee satisfaction so low. The hospital spends money on new programs but nothing changes. Why? Because the leadership do not really have their heart in it. They only want to improve patient satisfaction so they don't lose money on reimbursement.

Advice to Management

Replace all leadership and bring in people who really have a heart and care about people. It isn't rocket science, but some leadership do not adequately support or appreciate their staff. They are only out for themselves and to be sure they look good.

I have worked there over 3 years

Current Employee - Medical Office Associate in Maryville, TN
    Current Employee - Medical Office Associate in Maryville, TN

I have been working at Blount Memorial Hospital full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The doctors are generally nice. The location is closer to my home. The hospital will cover any labs drawn there. Free flu shots. For the most part they are alot of hard working people. They are a teaching hospital.

Cons

You get strikes for using sick time, you get NO overtime no matter the reason, no paid holidays, no Christamas bonus, You get 5hrs. per pay period /2 weeks for vacation this does not increase for 5 years. You are only given a 2% raise and insurance has increased 4-5% per year. I am curently making less bring home money now than when I started. They own several other healthcare such as all the nursing homes, ETMG, as well as all the Doctors offices in the hospital. So the small town hospital is all false. They keep purchasing businesses while telling their employees they do not have the funds to give a raise or a bonus. You also do not have opportunity to advance unless you are "Chosen" no chance to bid.

Advice to Management

Listen to employees. Give incentives for ideas, or goals that are reached.

7. Would not suggest

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alcoa, TN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alcoa, TN

I have been working at Blount Memorial Hospital full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good retirement benefit with 3% automatic and will match up to another 3%. There are always open positions.

Cons

It is very hard to figure out what the company stands for. They preach one thing and then tell you to perform another way. Gratitude is not something supervisors know how to offer. No overtime allowed, even though you are normally left short handed and have no other option. There is no Christmas bonus, just a ham, or bonus of any kind. Raises are very minimal if at all. The turnover rate is very high due to employee dissatisfaction. Patients also tend to be very dissatisfied because of the service that is rendered and the lack of organization within the building. The hospitals own insurance will not cover any vaccine or preventive care if over the age of 18.

Advice to Management

Offer an actual Christmas bonus, overtime when needed, and lay off on the occurrences. Let each department handle their own as they are the ones who know what works best within their department.

8. Great company to work for, competitive pay, decent benefits.

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Maryville, TN

I have been working at Blount Memorial Hospital full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Small town community hospital. Everyone knows everyone.

Cons

Nursing is always stressful. Not a lot of room for advancement.

9. Very friendly people throughout the hospital

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Maryville, TN

I have been working at Blount Memorial Hospital full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Benefits (health insurance, PTO) are pretty good, not too expensive. Starting pay is $2 more an hour for RNs from what I hear from other nurses at other hospitals. Everyone says hello, etc., even the doctors! They do offer lots of extra training and certifications, which you are paid for. The nurse/patient ratio is great, especially compared to other hospitals.

Cons

Small town, everyone is cousins. It also means everyone knows everyone else's business. My advice: keep your personal life at home, don't bring it to work. Otherwise, great place to work.

Advice to Management

Please seriously consider complaints/suggestions by employees.

10. Good to begin career but not for long

Former Employee - Social Service in Knoxville, TN
    Former Employee - Social Service in Knoxville, TN

I worked at Blount Memorial Hospital full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Small town friendly environment with excellent volunteer support. Good health insurance. Good they changed the vesting schedule for the retirement so don't have to stay to keep retirement.

Cons

Behaves like an ugly for profit organization. Good old boys / girls in leadership, so I suspect there is no true accountability in management or administration. Either that or they just no longer care about quality or their staff. Sad.

Advice to Management

Learn to request and accept feedback from all employees. Read Studer who say "the fish starts stinking at the head". Happy productive employees are listened to and supported rather than badgered and demeaned.

11. Great place to work and lots of friendly faces.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Maryville, TN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Maryville, TN

I have been working at Blount Memorial Hospital full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The other staff are friendly and the environment is welcoming. The salaries are not quite as high as some of the neighboring places of business unless you are coming in from the outside.

Cons

Lower salaries than similar work in the Knoxville area.

RSS Feed </> Embed