Blu Homes

2.4

CEO

Grateful

I have been working at Blu Homes

Pros

Grateful for the opportunity to use my many years experience in traditional home building with another startup builder. Blu offers us more experienced employee to help teach the next generation of builder.

Cons

Mistakes or as I like to say learning experiences are recognized and corrected from our leaders.

I respect the challenge you have ahead and commend for your approach.

Like the concept not the leadership

I worked at Blu Homes

Pros

It is the greatest concept and has the financial backing for greatness. The factory is run very well. The product is architecturally pleasing. Benefits are really good. There are some great leaders down low on chain of command that are great to work for. They do seem to realize the toxic management needs to be let go in order to be successful. Has a good possibility of going public.

Cons

Leadership are so worried about losing their jobs they set up there own walls around their department. Lack of construction knowledge is rampent. Major reorganization of company happens often which in turn makes employees worried about their jobs. Some departments are so disorganized that they are major revenue killers. Co-founder has control issues and does not know how to communicate respectfully. R&D taking years to produce working models of homes. Designers are overworked and under appreciated. Way too much focus on trying to fix the sales numbers.

Ask around on a personal level who is good in the upper management and who is not. Then fire the "who is not" crowd. They are not team players and this kills your effeciency. Take care of your design team - reward them. You have way to many people in marketing (writing fake reviews for the company on glass door ) thin out your overhead in this department. Get in a major executive that knows how to run a large construction company not a mobile home manufacturing company. Hopefully investment team takes charge of managing the company. What this company needs is an evaluation form an outside vendor of the executive team.

Great work/life balance

Current Employee - Marketing in Vallejo, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing in Vallejo, CA

I have been working at Blu Homes full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The work/life balance is excellent. The overall co-worker/team attitude is outstanding and supportive. Because of the start-up culture, there is real opportunities to advance and shine. I really enjoy working with everyone here. The upper management really believe in the product and are very passionate about it. The company seems to really be moving in the right direction. You get 10 holidays off a year. Their health benefits are generous.

Cons

At times there can be very dramatic strategy/responsibility changes that effect a large number of employees. Constantly-evolving roles are not always well defined or communicated to the staff at large. While they give a generous amount of Holidays (10), they don't seem to have a vacation policy that adds any additional days over time, so even after many years you will have the same amount as someone that is just hired. Also, they don't have any 401(k) matching. Their offices are on Mare island in Vallejo, which is not the most convenient commute for a lot of people.

Clearer idea of what goals need to be achieved for promotion/raises on an individual level. Better communication from the upper-management to the team-at-large in regards to overall business strategy and organizational structure (especially when there is major re-aliengments in the business and staffing).

Have worked here for over a year

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vallejo, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vallejo, CA

I have been working at Blu Homes full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Exciting, cutting-edge housing company with a unique high-quality product - will impress friends and family
    Much better benefits than most construction jobs offer, including 3 weeks of PTO available during your first year
    Potential for employees to be owners and benefit from the start-up scenario
    Financially secure clientele provide a more secure future for the Company
    Senior leadership has been straight and honest with me. CEO stops by and I am aware that action is being taken that should address my concerns.

Cons

Company is actively working through issues that any company doubling revenues every year would face. I would assume this is common in start-ups but this is my first. Rapid growth has resulted in some deficiencies in process but new talent is being brought in quickly and improvements are developing and forthcoming. But the rapidly changing environment can be stressful if you aren't cut out for it. It is a demanding work schedule but no worse than I have experienced in previous operations. And the schedule should be much better when processes are as mature as they were in my previous worklife.

Drive through the process improvements needed.
    Get us through to where we achieve the financial security that we have been shown are possible from the stock options.
    Communicate our progress openly.

Great people to Work with.

Former Employee - Revit Designer in Vallejo, CA
    Former Employee - Revit Designer in Vallejo, CA

I worked at Blu Homes full-time

Pros

Great Support, Great opportunity, Feels like a Family owned company and all employees are family.

Cons

The only negative thing I have to say is that the office I was in felt like a Cave, No windows and a little dim.

Follow through on the promise to move to a new office with windows, you will be surprised how much more active people are when they are getting natural light

Insane environment! Stay away!

I have been working at Blu Homes full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Blu Homes have many hardworking and nice employees and the product is fair. Most employees are in love with the concept of a prefabricated Blu Home....

Cons

until they have spent a few months on the inside of this company. For starters it would have been useful to know that the CEO and the co founder are dating when I was interviewing with the company. Most executives are afraid of both of them and individual employees are constantly worried about getting fired. Only people who agrees with the founders and their "idea of the week" are safe and this translates to a very a narcissistic and unfriendly environment.
    The company functions somewhat better when the founders take off on their trips but gets very uncomfortable when they are back in the office again. Fortunately they are only around about 50 percent of the time.
    CEO calls endless meetings where he talks most of the time. No one really dears to speak their mind. The once who have will eventually loose their job. He regularly fires members of the executive staff and most executives are waiting for their turn. Both founders seem very unaware of how disliked they are by most of the employees. There seems to be a culture of turning departments and department heads against each other instead of encouraging cooperation. Co founder loves to change around in every department but rarely follows through with anything. Many of our managers are young and lack leadership skills. My department has been reorganized so many times that I have lost track of who is doing what. Sales is over promising and our operations team have a hard time delivering mostly because the product development process is so broken. Products are released too early and are not complete. There are no formal training programs and no mentoring.

Bring in senior leaders that takes a new fresh look at this operation. Stop promoting people who have no relevant back ground into positions they know nothing about. Encourage open communication and give your leaders leadership training. I have a military background and I know what real leadership is. It is not hiding in your office and please the CEO behind closed doors. Walk the walk!

Buyer beware: snake oil salesmen, middling & meddling leadership with ambivalent vision, neglected employees

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vallejo, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vallejo, CA

I worked at Blu Homes full-time

Pros

Blu is full of good, honest, hardworking, intelligent, often enjoyable people...

Cons

...who are undervalued, dismissed, mistreated, and generally not taken care of, but helplessly run about trying to save face in the hopes that, one day, everything will come together (if they don't get laid off first), and they will be able to move on up from their dimly lit, PCB-adjacent, slum of a sweatsh--*ahem*--office, to some shiny penthouse far above the riff-raff of the San Pablo Bay. Oh, and did I mention you might get laid off? Yeah, job security is not their strong-suit (because people are expendable, right?)...in fact, an employee's job itself might be to make him/herself irrelevant. (Note: I, fortunately, was able to get out before that ever happened to me, but it did happen to countless numbers of my friends and colleagues across all levels and all departments). On top of that, job descriptions might change once every quarter, as upper management fiddles with new departmental leadership and new processes on a never-ending basis. Sure, constant change ("evolution", as one might spin) is inevitable in a start-up, but change in this case seems arbitrary, lacking in clarity and vision, and often out-of-touch with the multi-disciplinary wealth of knowledge, experience, and perspective, slowly decaying behind desks. If Blu were Bronson Alcott High School, the sales team would most definitely be Cher and company...they pretty much run the place. The one saving grace might be the marketing team, unfortunately they're a glorified spin machine full of pathological optimists who masquerade as experts of things they know absolutely nothing about (this goes for the sales team as well).

Stop spending so much time isolating yourselves in seemingly never-ending meetings that go nowhere. Ambivalence is not a virtue -- decide what this company wants to be and how it wants to operate, and dedicate yourselves to it fully. Listen to your employees -- you are abusing their talents and making them disillusioned. Display loyalty. Replace your HR staff and hire people who are sincere about professional development and the quality of the working environment. Cultivate creativity and innovation -- this company has the potential to benefit from the ongoing tech renaissance, but the products just aren't there. This means trusting fully in your staff, and releasing sales and marketing from the stranglehold it seems to have on product design and development, and the rest of the project delivery chain. Maura is not an engineer, she is not a designer -- she is skilled at marketing, but skilled product innovator she is not. Develop relationships with other tech companies working on the cutting edge of products for the home...who knows, instead of simply making houses, maybe these partnerships can inspire Blu to become an innovative platform for new ways of thinking about and interacting with the home (I mean, if that is the vision...this may be ambitious).

Good work environment, interesting work

I have been working at Blu Homes full-time (less than an year)

Pros

At Blu, you have the opportunity to make a direct impact and gain invaluable experience. I like the work environment and I would describe the team as very young, bright and ambitious. I've learned a lot while working at Blu Homes and I am constantly exposed to interesting, new projects and challenges. I appreciate the work-life balance and the expectation that you will work hard but there's a decent amount of flexibility.

Cons

Things change very quickly at Blu and everything is done at a fast pace. There are constant changes and sometimes these changes are not always fully and well communicated. The commute is not ideal.

Communicate clearly with the entire team. Continue to show employees room for career advancement and job stability.

plain and simple - do not work here

I have been working at Blu Homes full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You can attempt to shape your own path some, however the next day you might come in and your job is gone.
    The initial concept behind the company is innovative and exciting. The execution on it leaves much to be desired.
    Your coworkers for the most part are competent, hardworking, and kind.

Cons

Decisions are made impulsively, without consideration for what has been learnt in the past. The founders chose to ignore the input from employees, their priority is how to turn the company and be able to sell it, not how to create a lasting functioning company. Hence their priority is in the money, not in the principles behind the company or the value of their employees. You might find the job interesting for 6 months as you are learning and you feel like you are voicing good ideas, but then your eyes start to open and you see the craziness. You are asked to work weekends, holidays, and you're still kinda excited so you do. Then all you do is eat, sleep, work, and after all of that there is no job security as management can make a decision one day to just restructure, or wipe out a whole department.

You ask your employees to try and be flexible, to be good with change, and I believe that many of them are. Yet when you show no respect for the intelligence other team members or management are bringing to the table, and when you yourself don't learn from your past decisions, it is hard to keep faith. I watched you let go of so many talented people, simply because you lacked organization and clarity in your own decisions, yet you don't care so long as you are able to keep your income and your own lifestyle that is supported by this company and the investors.

Dissapointing

I have been working at Blu Homes

Pros

Exciting start up environment. Lots of potential, amazing product and service with a lot of external buzz. Could have been one of the best places to work.

Cons

Potential is the key word. Leadership will run the company to the ground before anything really good can happen here. There is absolutely no work-life balance. Management is only happy when people work 7 days a week. Too many empty promises with vast directional changes every few months. People who do not know anything about leading others or even how to communicate with others are in leadership. Other people who should be leading and mentoring are just trying to keep their jobs and stay under the radar. Terrible inter and cross departmental communication.

If you really want to instill loyalty and faith in the company, don't just pretend like you are listening, show with your actions, that you are listening. People will gladly give up weekends and holidays when they feel recognized.