Blu Homes Reviews

CEO

Most Innovative Sustainable Builder in the Nation

Current Employee - Manager in Vallejo, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in Vallejo, CA

I have been working at Blu Homes full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I was drawn to this company because I have been a sustainable builder for years. This is the most innovative sustainable company that I have ever seen. The excitement of a start up is very exciting and the benefits are fantastic. Every year the company has been getting better and better and thinking more about their employees. I just did Blu Yoga! I am valued and brought in for my opinion on major company decisions. They do reward hard work, even though I have put in a lot of hours, I have been promoted twice in 2 years. This is the company that I would like to work for until I retire. The CEO sat down with me, asked me what needs to be fixed, then fixed it. My current boss is one of the best bosses I have ever worked for in my life, I look forward to going to work!

Cons

Its a start up so I work 50-60 hours a week but I signed up for it. The commute for me is 2-3 hours a day.

Advice to Management

You have listened to the employees and torn down the walls that have restricted the company from being successful. This has lead to great improvements and there should be a constant effort to make sure teams are collaborating. I applaud you so far.

Great Potential, Poor Management/Execution

Former Employee - Construction Manager in Vallejo, CA
    Former Employee - Construction Manager in Vallejo, CA

I worked at Blu Homes full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I was attracted to this company because of the progressive ideas, marketing, and growth potential. in the year and a half I was there, the marketing continued to improve, mostly due to continued improvement of the website. The company also has a good track record of attracting talented people. The CEO is charismatic and does an excellent job pitching the company and raising funding.

Cons

In the year and a half I spent with the company, the marketing continued to improve, but every other aspect of the company sputtered. The company's Board and management made drastic changes every few months and then failed to support the execution long enough to succeed, or else undermined each change with the next one. As an example, a huge price increase in the home models was followed by a huge decrease just a few months later when sales sputtered. Charging customers to ship to the east coast because the company moved all its manufacturing to the west coast was another failed idea. The Company took its headquarters out west and thought it could sell nationally and keep a presence on the east coast, but was not able to sustain this and will now fold back to being a regional company with much less growth potential.

Advice to Management

Focus on what you can execute well. Be honest with your customers and your employees.

Project Manager

Former Employee - Project Manager in Vallejo, CA
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Vallejo, CA

I worked at Blu Homes full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A start up company that has an unbelievable ability to raise investor funding. The marketing of the product is outstanding.

Cons

Lack of construction knowledge at the senior management level and company founders.

Advice to Management

Honesty is the best policy

Worst management

Current Employee - Product Management in Vallejo, CA
    Current Employee - Product Management in Vallejo, CA

I have been working at Blu Homes full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some smart people are working here

Cons

CEO and his cofounder and you can't believe they are dating

Advice to Management

QUIT

6. Management Team

I have been working at Blu Homes

Pros

In the time I have been with Blu, I have experienced working cross country and internationally, the travel has exposed me to locations I never would have experienced independently. One of my favorite memories to date....the use of a Bi-plane as our method of transportation to an island in Canada. What a GREAT EXPERIENCE! Every one of our projects tends to have it's own unique qualities keeping us on our game, in turn significantly helps with getting through the daily tasks. On top of the great experiences in the field and office comradery, our leadership is an elite team of knowledgeable and professional men and women all interested in achieving success!

Cons

IPO= hard work! Definitely an ample amount of hours put into each day. I was well aware and well informed of this when I signed on the dotted line and am happy to apply the necessary time to accomplish our Goals.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing! It is very motivating to experience the diligent efforts put forth and the ability as a Team to move and adapt quickly and to help each other shoulder our collective burdens. The Team dedication and persistence will help Blu to navigate the exciting year ahead and thrive long term. You all are some of the hardest working, most inspiring, and smartest people that I will likely ever meet. It is an honor to work with such a great Team of people!

7. Demanding but rewarding

I have been working at Blu Homes full-time

Pros

Friendly Co-Workers that work as a team. Benefits package that is above industry standards, stock options offerred to all employees, Room for advancement.

Cons

The only dirogatory thing that I can state is that the job (all positions) are very demanding so it is difficult to maintain a work/life balance. The company is a start-up that is trying to go public and the work demand in order to make this happen is high,

Advice to Management

If I had to give management one piece of advice it would be: "don't just pay your workers well and offer them outstanding benefits. Treat them as if they are part of a team. The environment is very competative and that sometimes creates job insecurity if not kept in balance

A high risk, high reward employer

Former Employee - Can't Share in Vallejo, CA
    Former Employee - Can't Share in Vallejo, CA

I worked at Blu Homes

Pros

For the individual seeking opportunity to have an effect, there is a lot of low hanging fruit at Blu Homes. Also, you will have direct access to all varieties of architect-engineer design professionals and laborers. It seems that the demand for product is lined up for years, and the company is marketing driven, which further enhances their ability to sell. The top cofounder is a very charismatic leader with an abundance of intelligence and charm.

Cons

Document control is a total disaster. Eames said "never outsource understanding", but as much as Blu Homes might like to think they're like Eames, they don't embody this message. Very little of the back-end within Blu resembles other architectural-engineering outfits. They have done things their own way (thinking it was innovation, perhaps?). You'll always be saying to yourself, "this is a huge mess." True expertise is scarce. Very green people have disproportionately large titles. There have been multiple massive layoffs in the past. If you work here, make sure you're always ready to move on at a moment's notice. The self evaluation of their equity seems overly hopeful when you see how things work on the inside, and it's almost guarenteed their growth projections will fail - not due to a lack of customer demand, but due to the mistreatment of projects.

9. Great work/life balance

Current Employee - Marketing in Vallejo, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing in Vallejo, CA

I have been working at Blu Homes full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The work/life balance is excellent. The overall co-worker/team attitude is outstanding and supportive. Because of the start-up culture, there is real opportunities to advance and shine. I really enjoy working with everyone here. The upper management really believe in the product and are very passionate about it. The company seems to really be moving in the right direction. You get 10 holidays off a year. Their health benefits are generous.

Cons

At times there can be very dramatic strategy/responsibility changes that effect a large number of employees. Constantly-evolving roles are not always well defined or communicated to the staff at large. While they give a generous amount of Holidays (10), they don't seem to have a vacation policy that adds any additional days over time, so even after many years you will have the same amount as someone that is just hired. Also, they don't have any 401(k) matching. Their offices are on Mare island in Vallejo, which is not the most convenient commute for a lot of people.

Advice to Management

Clearer idea of what goals need to be achieved for promotion/raises on an individual level. Better communication from the upper-management to the team-at-large in regards to overall business strategy and organizational structure (especially when there is major re-aliengments in the business and staffing).

10. Have worked here for over a year

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vallejo, CA

I have been working at Blu Homes full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Exciting, cutting-edge housing company with a unique high-quality product - will impress friends and family
    Much better benefits than most construction jobs offer, including 3 weeks of PTO available during your first year
    Potential for employees to be owners and benefit from the start-up scenario
    Financially secure clientele provide a more secure future for the Company
    Senior leadership has been straight and honest with me. CEO stops by and I am aware that action is being taken that should address my concerns.

Cons

Company is actively working through issues that any company doubling revenues every year would face. I would assume this is common in start-ups but this is my first. Rapid growth has resulted in some deficiencies in process but new talent is being brought in quickly and improvements are developing and forthcoming. But the rapidly changing environment can be stressful if you aren't cut out for it. It is a demanding work schedule but no worse than I have experienced in previous operations. And the schedule should be much better when processes are as mature as they were in my previous worklife.

Advice to Management

Drive through the process improvements needed.
    Get us through to where we achieve the financial security that we have been shown are possible from the stock options.
    Communicate our progress openly.

Great people to Work with.

Former Employee - Revit Designer in Vallejo, CA
    Former Employee - Revit Designer in Vallejo, CA

I worked at Blu Homes full-time

Pros

Great Support, Great opportunity, Feels like a Family owned company and all employees are family.

Cons

The only negative thing I have to say is that the office I was in felt like a Cave, No windows and a little dim.

Advice to Management

Follow through on the promise to move to a new office with windows, you will be surprised how much more active people are when they are getting natural light

RSS Feed </> Embed