Blucora
www.blucora.com Bellevue, WA 150 to 499 Employees

Blucora Reviews

Updated Apr 16, 2014
Blucora – Bellevue – “Blucora Office Lobby”

William J. Ruckelshaus

Best job I ever had in 17 years

Senior Software Engineering Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Blucora full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThe people and culture are great! The work is challenging and as an engineer, I can't imagine a better place to grow--regardless of the level you are at! I've seen Senior Engineers really grow to become Principle Engineers! I've seen new graduates go from being talented and driven to being experienced veterans who can handle just about any problem thrown at them. I've also seen everyone increase their ability to talk about their work and give presentations and talks within the company and at conferences.

Best of all, they get rid people you hate working with and reward star performers!

ConsInfospace seems stuck with Google, so that can make free-form innovation challenging. I also see that sometimes actually stimulate creativity at times!

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a chance on new businesses within Infospace

Came a long way and still surviving

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Blucora

ProsAfter so much has happened, the company continues to adapt and readjust itself to find its market niche.

ConsCareer growth potential seems limited in a company not growing very much.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeeds technology innovation

Good benefits, fun & talented colleagues & managers

Senior Program Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Blucora full-time for more than 3 years

ProsBlucora has been around since the mid 90s and has changed a lot since the founder left the company in the early 2000s. The company has the type of culture where you either stay briefly, or where you grow your career depending on how much passion and dedication you put into your job. This is fair. Pay and benefits are good.

ConsDue to the limited employee turnaround, there can be little room for promotion depending on the department you are in. However, if you have a good, secure boss, he/she will nurture your career growth and promote you along with him/her. It can be cliquish, however, because of this. Regardless, everyone from interns to C-level executives are friendly professionals.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the great work, and continue to inspire us and lead by example.

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Decent mid-sized company with top heavy management

Marketing Manager (Current Employee)
Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Blucora full-time for more than a year

ProsGood resources and offices to create content efficiently.

ConsPoor management team that lacks knowledge of new growth areas.

Fun place to work, but a few growing pains

Program Manager (Former Employee)
Seattle, WA

I worked at Blucora full-time

ProsOverall this is a fun and interesting place to work. It has a great corporate culture and is unusual in that many technical employees (Software development or IT) have been there more than 4 years or come back to the company a few years after leaving. The employees get along like one big happy family. The work is often challenging and things are very fast paced so there's no time to get bored or complacent.

ConsAs with any company, changes in management or major business direction come with growing pains and this company is no different. Last year they went through a major overhaul of engineering management personnel and methods, this year they’re starting into major infrastructure changes. All of these handed down from above with little supporting detail. Because of this it feels like most employees have no idea where the company is going or why management is making the decisions they are. It can lead to some hurt feelings and the impression that no one is listening to the "front line" employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide more detail on the short and long term vision for the company, allow some employee feedback into processes and projects or at least provide more supporting details about planned change.

Unappealing and dissatisfying

I have been working at Blucora

ProsGood location, good revenues (business makes money)

ConsPeople still think and apply pre-internet technology and management methodologies to todays. problems. Extremely slow in decision making.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop looking to make short term profits.

Part large company part start up ...with capital

I have been working at Blucora

ProsA lot of autonomy
Great hours - I work nights or weekends only when mission critical projects require it
If you have a good business case for something you think should be done and present it well you have a good chance of getting it done
Things change often so if you don't like it, just hold out for the next roll of the dice
People are generally very helpful and friendly.

ConsLast CEO (Jim Voelker) was better than this one (Will Lansing); many are holding out for Lansing's replacement
Some well paid execs at top that don't pull their weight in contribution to company
Some sr managers fund projects that don't have strong enough business plan
Some engineers are lazy and some are incredibly hard working

Advice to Senior ManagementStop paying for people you don't need (at all levels)
Stop losing money on projects that contribute less to company than they cost to build.
Get a cohesive strategy that makes sense, then use that to drive the culture you want

insp

Director of Business Development (Former Employee)

I worked at Blucora

Proslots of cash in bank. not going bankrupt

Consmanagement is very self serving, pay themselves huge salaries, huge bonus while being penney pinchers with mid level and rank and file

Advice to Senior Managementbe fair to employees and shareholders

A nice place to work, but it seems to be dying.

Service Desk Representative (Former Employee)

I worked at Blucora

ProsThe compensation and benefits were satisfactory, but what I enjoyed most was the people I worked with. I found a lot of collaboration and knowledge sharing on in the IT department, and I think on the Service Desk, I was in the best position to take advantage of that.

ConsThe company seems to be wandering with no real purpose. I've been laid off and rehired by Infospace or one of the subsidiary companies several times over the years, and every time I would come back the vision had completely changed from what they had planned at the last meeting I had been to. With no real sense of direction, they seem to be dying off... and as they lose the great people that used to work there, they must also be losing the culture that made them a fun place to work.

Advice to Senior ManagementN/a

none

Senior Marketing Research Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Blucora

Proswork life balance; respect for engineers

Consmarketing not well understood; run by people who were not experts in their field...caretakers

Advice to Senior Managementhiring technology marketing leadership was a good step forward

Worked for Blucora? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Blucora reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Blucora CEO William J. Ruckelshaus. All 18 reviews posted anonymously by Blucora employees.