Blucora

William J. Ruckelshaus

Infospace - Mature Arbitrage Company Starting to Think About its Product

Current Employee - Associate Data Analyst in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Associate Data Analyst in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Blucora full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Infospace is a very mature company that is flexible and trusting of its employees. There's a lot of room to try new things and take your own approach.

Cons

The lack of intensity is sometimes frustrating if when you want to get something done, especially on a deadline.

The president seems to be taking care of every piece of advise I would have asked for a few months ago, but it's too soon to tell how successful it will be.

Great company to work for with a genuine respect for their employees

Former Employee - Senior Program Manager in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Senior Program Manager in Seattle, WA

I worked at Blucora full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Progressive engineering group with a focus on Agile, Scrum and XP development methodologies. They pay very well for the Seattle market and and interested in a true work life balance for all employees.

Cons

There is some dsyfunction at the director level which has caused some conflicting priorities between business, product and engineering. They have gone through several PGM directors over the years and have yet to find one that meets the needs of the company. They get a majority of revenue from their relationship with Google but as mobile revenue is expanding google is pushing their partners out of this space and it looks at if overall revenues are declining. The long term health of the company is questionable unless they can find a new revenue stream.

Great people, a few great managers

I worked at Blucora full-time

Pros

Blucora has a high technical bar; their technical staff is highly competent. Blucora has a few managers who diligently and constantly work to build culture and develop their team. Many employees have been at Blucora for 3 or more years.

Cons

Blucora's strength has been in search monetization; technical managers haven't kept pace with newer technologies.

Great Mid-size company where you can make an impact

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Blucora full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Blucora is very technology focused; the Engineering leadership is very active in keeping up with software development practices (e.g. Agile, SCRUM, etc). The company is small enough that the developers and testers work alongside product owners and you have the opportunity to directly impact costumer-facing applications and services. Good coworkers who enjoy being there and a fun culture in general.

Cons

Because of the smaller engineering staff people get shuffled around too often, even when they are performing well on a given team. Not as many opportunities to advance into leadership as you would find in a larger organization.

Allow successful teams to stay together and encourage talented developers to grow into larger leadership roles.

Great people, no clear direction

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Blucora full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The people at Blucora (InfoSpace, specifically) are great. The culture is really fun and you feel like the company cares for the employees. I learned a lot in my time there.

Cons

The company struggles with communication across the organization. Management pursues short-term financial goals in lieu of investing in long-term future products and features. There's a lack of clarity around the company's vision and purpose which makes people feel like they are working on stuff without knowing how it helps move the company forward.

Clearly articulate a long-term vision and then back it up with actions. Communication clearly and often to the entire organization.

Solutions Architect

I worked at Blucora

Pros

Great place to work and give ample opportunities to grow and work with some really smart people.

Cons

No clear articulation of the long term vision.

Came a long way and still surviving

I worked at Blucora

Pros

After so much has happened, the company continues to adapt and readjust itself to find its market niche.

Cons

Career growth potential seems limited in a company not growing very much.

Needs technology innovation

Best job I ever had in 17 years

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineering Manager in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineering Manager in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Blucora full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The people and culture are great! The work is challenging and as an engineer, I can't imagine a better place to grow--regardless of the level you are at! I've seen Senior Engineers really grow to become Principle Engineers! I've seen new graduates go from being talented and driven to being experienced veterans who can handle just about any problem thrown at them. I've also seen everyone increase their ability to talk about their work and give presentations and talks within the company and at conferences.

Best of all, they get rid people you hate working with and reward star performers!

Cons

Infospace seems stuck with Google, so that can make free-form innovation challenging. I also see that sometimes actually stimulate creativity at times!

Take a chance on new businesses within Infospace

Good benefits, fun & talented colleagues & managers

Current Employee - Senior Program Manager in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Program Manager in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Blucora full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Blucora has been around since the mid 90s and has changed a lot since the founder left the company in the early 2000s. The company has the type of culture where you either stay briefly, or where you grow your career depending on how much passion and dedication you put into your job. This is fair. Pay and benefits are good.

Cons

Due to the limited employee turnaround, there can be little room for promotion depending on the department you are in. However, if you have a good, secure boss, he/she will nurture your career growth and promote you along with him/her. It can be cliquish, however, because of this. Regardless, everyone from interns to C-level executives are friendly professionals.

Keep up the great work, and continue to inspire us and lead by example.

Decent mid-sized company with top heavy management

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Blucora full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good resources and offices to create content efficiently.

Cons

Poor management team that lacks knowledge of new growth areas.

Blucora Photos