Blucora Reviews

Updated July 22, 2014
Updated July 22, 2014
3.2

William J. Ruckelshaus

Great Mid-size company where you can make an impact

Current Employee - Software Engineer  in  Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Blucora full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Blucora is very technology focused; the Engineering leadership is very active in keeping up with software development practices (e.g. Agile, SCRUM, etc). The company is small enough that the developers and testers work alongside product owners and you have the opportunity to directly impact costumer-facing applications and services. Good coworkers who enjoy being there and a fun culture in general.

Cons

Because of the smaller engineering staff people get shuffled around too often, even when they are performing well on a given team. Not as many opportunities to advance into leadership as you would find in a larger organization.

Allow successful teams to stay together and encourage talented developers to grow into larger leadership roles.

Great people, no clear direction

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Blucora full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The people at Blucora (InfoSpace, specifically) are great. The culture is really fun and you feel like the company cares for the employees. I learned a lot in my time there.

Cons

The company struggles with communication across the organization. Management pursues short-term financial goals in lieu of investing in long-term future products and features. There's a lack of clarity around the company's vision and purpose which makes people feel like they are working on stuff without knowing how it helps move the company forward.

Clearly articulate a long-term vision and then back it up with actions. Communication clearly and often to the entire organization.

Solutions Architect

I worked at Blucora

Pros

Great place to work and give ample opportunities to grow and work with some really smart people.

Cons

No clear articulation of the long term vision.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Came a long way and still surviving

I worked at Blucora

Pros

After so much has happened, the company continues to adapt and readjust itself to find its market niche.

Cons

Career growth potential seems limited in a company not growing very much.

Needs technology innovation

Best job I ever had in 17 years

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineering Manager  in  Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineering Manager in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Blucora full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The people and culture are great! The work is challenging and as an engineer, I can't imagine a better place to grow--regardless of the level you are at! I've seen Senior Engineers really grow to become Principle Engineers! I've seen new graduates go from being talented and driven to being experienced veterans who can handle just about any problem thrown at them. I've also seen everyone increase their ability to talk about their work and give presentations and talks within the company and at conferences.

Best of all, they get rid people you hate working with and reward star performers!

Cons

Infospace seems stuck with Google, so that can make free-form innovation challenging. I also see that sometimes actually stimulate creativity at times!

Take a chance on new businesses within Infospace

Good benefits, fun & talented colleagues & managers

Current Employee - Senior Program Manager  in  Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Program Manager in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Blucora full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Blucora has been around since the mid 90s and has changed a lot since the founder left the company in the early 2000s. The company has the type of culture where you either stay briefly, or where you grow your career depending on how much passion and dedication you put into your job. This is fair. Pay and benefits are good.

Cons

Due to the limited employee turnaround, there can be little room for promotion depending on the department you are in. However, if you have a good, secure boss, he/she will nurture your career growth and promote you along with him/her. It can be cliquish, however, because of this. Regardless, everyone from interns to C-level executives are friendly professionals.

Keep up the great work, and continue to inspire us and lead by example.

Decent mid-sized company with top heavy management

Current Employee - Marketing Manager  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Blucora full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good resources and offices to create content efficiently.

Cons

Poor management team that lacks knowledge of new growth areas.

Fun place to work, but a few growing pains

Former Employee - Program Manager  in  Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Program Manager in Seattle, WA

I worked at Blucora full-time

Pros

Overall this is a fun and interesting place to work. It has a great corporate culture and is unusual in that many technical employees (Software development or IT) have been there more than 4 years or come back to the company a few years after leaving. The employees get along like one big happy family. The work is often challenging and things are very fast paced so there's no time to get bored or complacent.

Cons

As with any company, changes in management or major business direction come with growing pains and this company is no different. Last year they went through a major overhaul of engineering management personnel and methods, this year they’re starting into major infrastructure changes. All of these handed down from above with little supporting detail. Because of this it feels like most employees have no idea where the company is going or why management is making the decisions they are. It can lead to some hurt feelings and the impression that no one is listening to the "front line" employees.

Provide more detail on the short and long term vision for the company, allow some employee feedback into processes and projects or at least provide more supporting details about planned change.

Unappealing and dissatisfying

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Blucora

Pros

Good location, good revenues (business makes money)

Cons

People still think and apply pre-internet technology and management methodologies to todays. problems. Extremely slow in decision making.

Stop looking to make short term profits.

Part large company part start up ...with capital

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Blucora

Pros

A lot of autonomy
    Great hours - I work nights or weekends only when mission critical projects require it
    If you have a good business case for something you think should be done and present it well you have a good chance of getting it done
    Things change often so if you don't like it, just hold out for the next roll of the dice
    People are generally very helpful and friendly.

Cons

Last CEO (Jim Voelker) was better than this one (Will Lansing); many are holding out for Lansing's replacement
    Some well paid execs at top that don't pull their weight in contribution to company
    Some sr managers fund projects that don't have strong enough business plan
    Some engineers are lazy and some are incredibly hard working

Stop paying for people you don't need (at all levels)
    Stop losing money on projects that contribute less to company than they cost to build.
    Get a cohesive strategy that makes sense, then use that to drive the culture you want

Blucora Photos

Blucora Office Lobby

+ Add Photo

Worked for Blucora? Contribute to the Community!