Blue Beacon

Trace Walker

Excellent Company to work for

Current Employee - Aircraft Maintainer in Salina, KS
    Current Employee - Aircraft Maintainer in Salina, KS

I have been working at Blue Beacon part-time (more than a year)

Pros

This is a small town company that really appreciates the fact that their employees are real people. They are always willing to work with you if you have an emergency and need time off and if you have an idea for how the company can run better, management is always glad to hear it. There are not a lot of companies I have worked at where on an average day the company president would drop by just to say hi and see how things were going.

Cons

I really cannot think of a single thing I dislike about this company!

Keep that small-town mindset.

They expect so much out of you for little pay

Current Employee - Supervisor
    Current Employee - Supervisor

I have been working at Blue Beacon

Pros

- good hours
    - bonus if you understaff your shift and wash as many trucks as possible

Cons

The company expects you to be 100% on point with the procedure for every single truck for 8 hours straight, even in a wash bay with just one other person on the other side of the truck. It Physically and mentally wears you out when you wash for 8 hours with just one other guy while dealing with angry and needy customers. If you get one comment card from a driver then management looks at the video of you washing the truck and criticizes you for it. Us supervisors work our hands to the bone trying our best and it goes unnoticed, you will have no life at all if you work 4-12/ 12-8.

Start appreciating your washers and supervisors, I really would love to see the field reps/ management wash trucks for 8 hours straight, 6 days a week, and maintain a perfect efficiency and maintain 7 points every single truck while being absolutely perfect with the procedure, fixing things when they break while washing, and maintaining the cleanliness of the building all while washing.

The lack of involvement from home office contributes to the frustrating work environment.

I have been working at Blue Beacon

Pros

The employees have to be the most rewarding part of the job. Working in a team environment can be fun and you get free car washes.

Cons

Really high turnover means that you will be repeating steps over and over and over. Growth can be frustrating as HO is looking for a yes man and not any new fresh ideas. Salary is only marginally compensated in regards to location. Employees in Nebraska can own a home on hourly pay, managers in high cost locations can barley afford rent on their salaries.

Go back to the basics, you have been trying to reinvent the wheel over the last 6 years. Just focus on what Charlie focused on, the people...

Not worth your time!

Former Employee - Anonymous in Salina, KS
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Salina, KS

I worked at Blue Beacon full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

lots of hours working. Free personal carwashes. Paid weekly. Direct deposit.

Cons

For managers there is no life outside Blue Beacon what so ever. They are on call 24/7 all year round. Managers are required to do surprise drop in visits on their on location to check on things, which I believe is a good thing except that this is the reason that they require the manager to live within 20 min from the location and many of the locations are located in ghettos and really sketchy neighborhoods. They only get 1 day off a week unless the location is having trouble in which case you work 7 days a week . They are required 48-55 hours a week but plan on doing more. I know several managers that frequently put in 60+ hours a week at least once a month. They claim to be a family company but if your children have sports games concerts or any other important events don't plan on being involved in that part of your children's lives. I know a manager who's father passed away and Blue Beacon said "sorry we still need you to come in to work today". They obviously gave him time off for the funeral but not to grieve. They have the highest turnover rate of any company that I have worked for or even know of. The General Manager turnover is pretty high about 10%-15% a year but the Operations Manager turnover rate in much higher, about 20%-30% a year. As for the bay employees the number is significantly higher, 40%-80% a year, and sometimes even higher. I attribute that turnover rate mostly to the low pay. They start out a bay attendant (washer) at about $8-$8.75 an hour with promises of bonus. The bonus is based on the amount of money made in a shift. They say that they offer a bonus to the bay attendants but to make any bonus at all is very difficult, and to even make half or full bonus is impossible. You would have to set record breaking amounts of sales for a shift. Manual labor for close to minimum wage is a joke and even if you were able to bonus a little which would maybe get your wage up to $9-$9.50 , you are so tired at the end of the day that you don't have the energy to do anything else, even if you are in great athletic shape. All employees are required to buy uniforms only available from the company and have the company logo on them. Blue Beacon requires that uniforms be in like new condition at all times. The employees are washing mud, grease, animal waste, and a never ending list of mystery substances that stain their clothing. The clothing must be washed after every shift so that it is clean for the next day, this really takes a toll on clothing and you find yourself being told your shirt, hat, or pants are looking faded, you need to buy a new one. This seems a little ridiculous to ask an employee that makes close to minimum wage to spend $250 or more a year on their required work uniform which is only bought to please the company. Managers bonus is most of your income so you have to make sure that your staff is top notch if you want to get as much bonus as possible. The problem with that, is no one sticks around long enough to be "top notch". If you are offered a Management position at a Blue Beacon and are not a current employee you need to be aware that even though you just got a location to run, you are financially responsible for the equipment. If there are major repairs and replacements that are needed they will come out of the General Manager and Operations Managers bonuses. They don't care that preventative maintenance was not done with the previous manager even if the parts are 15 years of and expected to go out soon. It may have been the fault of the previous manager or that it is just time for the equipment to be replaced. Either way if will come out of your bonus. If you have tattoos they will need to be covered. This is understandable but very miserable for the employees that are working in the bay. Long sleeves combined with a hat, this is a uniform requirement feels like torcher, and has caused some of their employees to get heat exhaustion and require medical attention despite that fact that they were drinking water. The wash bay easily reaches temps of 120 degrees or more and with the amount of water in the air there is just no escaping the misery. Some people think that it must feel good to work at a truck wash in the summer being wet all the time but the water it heated so it’s worse than being outside. The company offers benefits like 401K which they do match some of your contribution. They offer major medical but it’s expensive for a family and coverage is minimal compared to other companies. Vacation days for a bay attendant are only 1 week for the year and if you want any additional days off it is unlikely you will get them if the location is understaffed (which it usually is). Also the 7 days that you get must be taken consecutively and not parceled throughout the year. Management gets 2 weeks vacation which can be split up throughout the year. Just don't plan on taking too many days at once because they will have to fly in another manager for some of your vacation to keep an eye on things and yes that will come out of your bonus also. Nothing like having to pay your company so that you can go on vacation. Blue Beacon is trying to be more culturally diverse and hire many different races which is absolutely wonderful. Except that if you are Hispanic and applying and there mostly Hispanic employees currently working at a location, you will be passed up for someone that is African American, Indian, or Asian, even if you are the most qualified for the job. 20 years ago until about 5 years ago this company was great. Pay was competitive benefits were comparable to other companies and people were just treated like they had value and that they were appreciated. Now pay is lower despite strong profits, and people are treated like numbers or slaves. Overall Blue Beacon is a company that you should avoid no matter what position you are considering.

Blue Beacon needs to step back a take a look at the overall happiness of their employees, from management all the way down to a bay attendant. I suggest doing a company-wide survey and see what the employees feel could be changed or improved to increase the morale and efficiency of each employee. I know that you can never make everyone happy but if changes could be made that are positive changes for even half the employees this company might not have such a bad reputation for treating their employees so horrible.

Truck was in Arizona

Former Employee - Truck Washer in Kingman, AZ
    Former Employee - Truck Washer in Kingman, AZ

I worked at Blue Beacon full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The management team was very attentive and worked hard to keep the employees happy.

Cons

Limited advancement opportunities. Although because of the high turnover rate advancement to a supervisor position is likely for a hard worker that plans on staying for longer than a year or so.

Better pay attracts better more stable employees.

I was a general manager with over 18 yrs of experience with this company.

Former Employee - General Manager in Carnesville, GA
    Former Employee - General Manager in Carnesville, GA

I worked at Blue Beacon full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Manager has the ability to work his schedule around his personal obligations. Salary and benefits are competitive with other companies.

Cons

Your are expected to be in a wash position at least 8 hours a week, You are expected to do weekly and monthly drop-ins on the 2nd and 3rd shifts. To be successful at this company you need to expect to work an average of 55+ hrs. a week.

Working managers should only apply.

A decent paycheck but hard work

Current Employee - Shift Supervisor
    Current Employee - Shift Supervisor

I have been working at Blue Beacon full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Paid weekly
    Good staff
    Paid weekly
    General managers care about there employees from my experience.

Cons

Upper management changes
    Hard work for only 9 dollars an hour
    Bonus systems blows

Just washing trucks just stop with changing the washing techniques, not enough money for the speed and the work we put into the business. Pay employes what they should. Weather conditions sometimes be terrible and still forced to work fast to keep up efficiently. Don't get me wrong there are some good things about the company but most of the time it is just tiring and just want a paycheck to go home.

Great for a young kid just out of high school

Former Employee - Bay Attendant in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Bay Attendant in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Blue Beacon full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The bay attendant job taught me a good work ethic from a young age. If you like working outside that can be nice as well.

Cons

The main problem with working there as a bay attendant was going home wet and stinky every day. Until you get into a management position the pay is very low.

A great place to start a great work history.

Former Employee - Supervisor in Portage, WI
    Former Employee - Supervisor in Portage, WI

I worked at Blue Beacon

Pros

A fast paced environment. A place to start a great work history for those young folks fresh out of high school. Management do their best to provide an open environment for advancement and welcome to aid in personal situations. Management also do their best to adhere to your personal issue when it comes to getting any days you need off.

Cons

Weather dependant environment. When it rains or snows, work is slow and you are usually called and told to "call back". There may be weeks when you check does not reach 40 hours due to weather.

Although it is to my belief you do the best you can with manageing a "bunch of kids", you may want to listen a little more to the needs of your employees as a whole. also get more than one supervisor on one shift so one guy doesnt have to work six days every week for 2 years on end.

Bleed Blue is all that matters!

Current Employee - Supervisor in Barstow, CA
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Barstow, CA

I have been working at Blue Beacon

Pros

It's a job where most other places are not hiring. If it is busy the pay can be decent cos of bonus. But it has to be stupid busy!

Cons

Low paying for how fast and tough the job is they want us to do. 8 dollar a hour and regardless of how dirty the truck is they will want it out as fast as possible. then once its out and you hustled they will check it and tell you to fix quality. Very unreasonable cos managment could not do what they request from us. Low paying. Write up galore. If you so much as sneeze at the wrong time they will write you up.

Pay us more, and show us more recognition and be more reasonable about when we get sick or have personal life to attend to. It is a 8 dollar a hour job so stop treating it to us like its our career. We work hard for you guys.