Blue Bell Creameries

www.bluebell.com

Blue Bell Creameries Reviews

Updated Jul 20, 2014

Paul Kruse

Overall guy company to work for

Driver Salesman (Current Employee) Brenham, TX

ProsEmployee stock program is great

ConsChinese overtime is not good

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter pay scale

Long hours, demanding with little time for family.

Driver Salesman (Current Employee) Big Spring, TX

ProsGood pay, free ice cream, you work alone. Benefits are ok, a pretty large Christmas bonus if you stick it out all year

ConsVery long hours 12-14 per day. Never have two days off in a row, can't take vacation day during summer for 1st three years

Advice to Senior ManagementStop trying to micro manage every aspect of the day. My territory manager calls at least 3 times a day with questions and orders

Great company, but a few bad eggs.

Operator (Current Employee) Brenham, TX

Pros-Free icecream on breaks, employee discount for icecream orders, as well as on merchandise from the gift shop.
    -Really fun company Christmas party, as well as a summer picnic and occasional other activities.
    -Christmas bonus last year was 8% annual earnings for part-time, 18% for full time (a nice $2500 check for me - and I don't make that much!)
    -Hard work is noticed and rewarded (good raises)
    -Higher-ups are usually (usually) very nice and down-to-earth. You are treated as a fellow employee, not an underling.
    -At the "Snack plant" (the smaller, original building) at least, the atmosphere is almost that of a giant, rather dysfunctional family. Everyone knows your name, and if you do your job, don't slack off and are willing to learn, they'll like you.
    -The CEO - as well as the entire Krause family - are pillars in the Brenham community. They are friendly, helpful people of great integrity, and it's an honor to work for them.

Cons-While I think the pay is good, there are some faults in the part time/full time system. I worked part-time - seven and a half hours - for two years, and then switched to full time. Since I didn't get that last half-hour in for those two years, I now have to wait another year for vacation time, insurance and other benefits to kick in. While I understand this waiting period in case of fast-quitters, there should be an exception to part-time workers who have proven their loyalty to the company.

-Some supervisors do not belong in that position, and were obviously put there because of a diploma, rather than because of their integrity. One bad supervisor in the plant can make the entire workday feel that much more miserable.

-Sexual harassment (in the Snack Plant, at least) has been a problem for a while, simply because of the kind of folk that end up working there. Thankfully, however, the manager does not stand for such behavior, and it is dealt with as soon as it is reported. If you're a girl there and you're getting unwanted attention, always report is ASAP.

-Promotions are given to people the higher-ups know the best, rather than people who deserve them.

-Women at the Snack plant are treated unequally. There are no female supervisors, managers, and only one female operator. This is not because they lack the skill, but simply because they're women.

Advice to Senior Management-Add an "...unless you've already worked part-time for X years" exception to the FT benefits. Also, consider an employee feedback system on the supervisors to encourage better behavior.

-Keep a closer eye on the Snack plant. Looser rules there make for a much more problematic workplace.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Company to work for

Territory Manager (Former Employee)

ProsGreat annual bonus, ability to rise from within.

ConsPay is a little low, but who doesn't say tht about their job?

Family Oriented

(Current Employee)

ProsWhere do I begin? They are very family oriented and treat you like a brother or sister. Management is very positive and supportive of their team. You simply cannot ask more of from a company these days in how everyone is equally respected

ConsWish more people would stay longer with the company. The base pay for winter months could be higher to compensate those who have lower volume routes.

Advice to Senior ManagementAs far as things go right now I cannot really suggest anything more than continuing their positive pathway forward as a continuously growing company.

Wonderful Workplace

Facilities Maintenance (Current Employee) Brenham, TX

ProsFriendly Co-workers
    Dynamic work experience
    Utmost care for their employees

ConsThe hours were long and the overall plant lacked organization and leadership. Operations seemed constantly pushed.

Advice to Senior ManagementSlow down building processes and take time to establish a line of leadership

Great Company to work for, No room to move up unless some dies or quits

Driver/Salesman (Current Employee) Brenham, TX

ProsGood benefits, laid back environment

ConsCompany is family owned and is run like the 1970's it's not what you know it's who you know.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

Its an ok place to work. They should take better care of their good employees.

Operator (Current Employee)

ProsFree ice cream at work.

Conspay is not that great

Advice to Senior Managementneed to pay your employees more that way they want to actually put more effort into their work

Horrible !!!!!!

Packager (Former Employee) Brenham, TX

ProsYou are able to usually get days off when you need to get things done ... Free and discounted ice cream. The women (whom work the hardest) are all pretty sweet. I worked at the small creamery by the way .... (the "Snack Plant") Also, your benefits are much better then many places.

ConsHORRIBLE pay .... I know of people who have been there for 25 plus years and are barely making it, the women that is. It is such a sexist place, There are NO women managers / supervisors. You are sexually harassed by a few men. The women work the hardest while the men stand around and "wait" for a machine to mess up. I don't know how one survives being a new employee here. Your starting pay is 8.00 an hour and you work HARD ... the women clean the machines at the end of the day. Everyone I have talked to is miserable at this location and I will be making a formal complaint with human resources as well as the "big wigs" and OSHA!!!

Advice to Senior ManagementStop thinking that women are a piece of meat (one guy in particular) and pay your employees what they are worth!!

Nice job to start college with.

Merchandiser (Former Employee) Jonesboro, GA

Pros1. Job(merchandiser) itself is very easy.
    2. As long as you stocked icecream in the way mentioned by your supervisor (or in some cases how the manager of the store(s) would like it) Can't really get easier then that.
    3. Sometimes visit cities around your house you may have not been to.
    4. Straight forward job.
    5. (Main one) Receive gas compensation.
    6. Manager work around your schedule often.

Cons1. Not steady income not recommended as main source of income if you have your own place for you get work on an "on call" basis.
    2. Only get gas compensation check at the end of the month.

Advice to Senior ManagementLittle increase in hourly wage (7.25)

Worked for Blue Bell Creameries? Contribute to the Community!