Blue Bell Creameries

3.1

Paul Kruse

Merchandiser

I worked at Blue Bell Creameries

Pros

Good hours, great people, half off on ice cream.

Cons

There were no significant drawbacks

Part-time Warehouse Associate: Good Pay but have to get use to the cold.

Current Employee - Warehouse Associate
    Current Employee - Warehouse Associate

I have been working at Blue Bell Creameries part-time (more than a year)

Pros

As a warehouse associate, you make over minimum wage and get nice raises once a year plus a good end of year bonus. You are able to set your schedule and Management does an excellent job working around your schedule. Co-workers become friends for life and you become a family with everyone. Opportunity to earn CDL

Cons

Being located in a distribution warehouse, it becomes tough when there is no communication from the main branch. Policies that are suppose to be in place wont be applied because of fear of loosing accounts. Management will not communicate efficiently, nor will they create part time employee's schedule. You must ask for hours.

My advice to management is better communication and scheduling part time workers more efficiently. A supervisor/manager shouldn't have to ask if a part time worker is going to work on a weekend or on a certain day.

Not what I expected.

Current Employee - Driver Salesman
    Current Employee - Driver Salesman

I have been working at Blue Bell Creameries full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Compensation is very fair, and benefits are excellent. Few other companies offer things like pensions these days. The work varies daily, which can be a pro if you dislike a mundane routine. The company has a tendency to forgive mistakes--even large ones--if they are owned up to responsibly.

Cons

Work/life balance is abysmal. During the hiring process, they mentioned that it's a very physical job with long hours, but I was not expecting up to 70 hours per week. It's not unusual at all to go for 12 to 14 hours without a break. Three a.m. starts leave little time for family or other commitments. "Chinese Overtime" adjusts your rate of overtime pay so that you're compensated less the longer you work. Although you work alone, you have little to no independence due to micromanagement.

Trust your drivers, and divvy up the workload. I think a lot of driver salespeople would be OK with a slightly smaller paycheck if it meant they got to spend more time with their families.

Supervisor

Current Employee - Supervisor in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Richmond, VA

I have been working at Blue Bell Creameries full-time (more than a year)

Pros

If you get to work at the right location the pros are endless. People are great and everything to follow is better.

Cons

If you get stuck working at the wrong branch or the wrong people are placed in management there that are racist, sexist, or play favorites then your done for. I have been with blue bell for sometime and have trained at other locations before I came to Richmond, Va. branch and I have to say that the 3 that run this location should all be fired to demoted based off the way they treat others below them. I have seen race play a factor in how you are treated there and sex as well. Also, if your over a certain age there is no need to apply because they will never call you back. These 3 managers make working at this location seem like hell due to the way they talk to you and go after you once your working there and you are not up to their standards. I could say calling the HR department in regards to this problem will not help due to others doing this and still nothing has been done to them any of them. Stay away from this branch....!

stop making off colored jokes. Don't allow your personal issues at home reflex how you treat people at work. Just because someone is of a different race or gender does not give you the right to treat them any different. Even though they know that they will not get into any trouble for it.

Do Not Recommend

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brenham, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brenham, TX

I worked at Blue Bell Creameries full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Free ice cream on breaks, CO-OP program with the local high school, hiring process was not too difficult, you can take off days as needed.

Cons

The pay was terrible, Your superiors and coworkers are terrible, and this town and company in general are terrible. I was shocked to see how the people in this town behave. I moved here with my husband because of a job transfer and I never expected this town to be so backwards and unwelcoming. I'm surprised I even received the job, not being a Brenhamite myself. I was definitely treated differently after people learned I was from another town. Everyone in Brenham is extremely narrow minded and rude. If you're from out of town no one is excepting and I've heard it takes an upward of 20 years for people to even consider you worthy of being included. The people act very cliquish at any age. I felt like I was in high school all over again. The men here are very sexist, racist and ignorant. The woman work the hardest and are not rewarded for this. No women ever receive promotions. Minimum wage without the chance of growth for women is not fair by any account. I would not recommend this job to anyone unless you are born and raised in Brenham and have the same small town outlook on life and never plan on changing or making enough money to support a family.

Raise the pay if you expect people from out of town to stay and put up with the rude, racist, sexist, immature and ignorant locals.

TM @ Blue Bell

Former Employee - Territory Manager
    Former Employee - Territory Manager

I worked at Blue Bell Creameries full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Nice people, low pressure, easy product to sell. This is the sort of place you spend 30 years at and retire very secure. Good opportunities to move up if you are a young professional with some ability.

Cons

The grocery industry is tough. Most of your customers operate on low margins.

I left because I did not want to go into management and that is the only way to make more money. However, considering how successful they are I would hire them any day.

BlueBell Creameries.

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Blue Bell Creameries

Pros

Good insurance benefits, christmas bonus, summer picnics, a few good hardworking teammates.

Cons

Over worked and under paid. Hiring former employees from Competitors in the ice cream industry i.e Dreyers and Nestle. competitors bring over negative programed behavior that diminishes the workplace quality especially when placed in lead positions upon arrival or all together in general. Gossiping in order to make yourself look 'good' is rewarded rather than hard work and dedication. disrespect and negative attitudes become the norm every other day. While most are never given what they really deserve and those who don't deserve typically are.

My advice to upper management is to stop allowing select individuals to behave in such dishonest and manipulative ways. Allowing others to gossip about another person is wrong and shouldn't be tolerated. Also instead of sitting in the office all day putting fourth an authentic effort to really get to know, work and help your people as often as possible would make a big difference in the workplace quality.

Overall guy company to work for

Current Employee - Driver Salesman in Brenham, TX
    Current Employee - Driver Salesman in Brenham, TX

I have been working at Blue Bell Creameries full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Employee stock program is great

Cons

Chinese overtime is not good

Better pay scale

Long hours, demanding with little time for family.

Current Employee - Driver Salesman in Big Spring, TX
    Current Employee - Driver Salesman in Big Spring, TX

I have been working at Blue Bell Creameries full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good pay, free ice cream, you work alone. Benefits are ok, a pretty large Christmas bonus if you stick it out all year

Cons

Very long hours 12-14 per day. Never have two days off in a row, can't take vacation day during summer for 1st three years

Stop trying to micro manage every aspect of the day. My territory manager calls at least 3 times a day with questions and orders

Great company, but a few bad eggs.

Current Employee - Operator in Brenham, TX
    Current Employee - Operator in Brenham, TX

I have been working at Blue Bell Creameries full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

-Free icecream on breaks, employee discount for icecream orders, as well as on merchandise from the gift shop.
    -Really fun company Christmas party, as well as a summer picnic and occasional other activities.
    -Christmas bonus last year was 8% annual earnings for part-time, 18% for full time (a nice $2500 check for me - and I don't make that much!)
    -Hard work is noticed and rewarded (good raises)
    -Higher-ups are usually (usually) very nice and down-to-earth. You are treated as a fellow employee, not an underling.
    -At the "Snack plant" (the smaller, original building) at least, the atmosphere is almost that of a giant, rather dysfunctional family. Everyone knows your name, and if you do your job, don't slack off and are willing to learn, they'll like you.
    -The CEO - as well as the entire Krause family - are pillars in the Brenham community. They are friendly, helpful people of great integrity, and it's an honor to work for them.

Cons

-While I think the pay is good, there are some faults in the part time/full time system. I worked part-time - seven and a half hours - for two years, and then switched to full time. Since I didn't get that last half-hour in for those two years, I now have to wait another year for vacation time, insurance and other benefits to kick in. While I understand this waiting period in case of fast-quitters, there should be an exception to part-time workers who have proven their loyalty to the company.

-Some supervisors do not belong in that position, and were obviously put there because of a diploma, rather than because of their integrity. One bad supervisor in the plant can make the entire workday feel that much more miserable.

-Sexual harassment (in the Snack Plant, at least) has been a problem for a while, simply because of the kind of folk that end up working there. Thankfully, however, the manager does not stand for such behavior, and it is dealt with as soon as it is reported. If you're a girl there and you're getting unwanted attention, always report is ASAP.

-Promotions are given to people the higher-ups know the best, rather than people who deserve them.

-Women at the Snack plant are treated unequally. There are no female supervisors, managers, and only one female operator. This is not because they lack the skill, but simply because they're women.

-Add an "...unless you've already worked part-time for X years" exception to the FT benefits. Also, consider an employee feedback system on the supervisors to encourage better behavior.

-Keep a closer eye on the Snack plant. Looser rules there make for a much more problematic workplace.

Blue Bell Creameries Photos

Blue Bell WorkTruck -20 degrees Very cold
Blue Bell Ice cream sales VERY well!
These are the 2 types of shirts that Route Salesman wear.

+ Add Photo