Blue Bell Creameries Reviews

Updated March 25, 2015
31 reviews filtered by
2.9
Paul Kruse

1. Great company to work for.

Current Employee - Shipping Clerk
    Current Employee - Shipping Clerk

I have been working at Blue Bell Creameries

Pros

Great benefits. Great co-workers. Good money.

Cons

None that I have encountered yet.

None

2. "Nice People to work for"

Current Employee - Driver Salesman in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Driver Salesman in Houston, TX

I have been working at Blue Bell Creameries

Pros

the people are nice to work with..

Cons

The hours are the worse getting up at 1:30am to be at work at 3:00 am and u might not get off until 3 or 4 in the afternoon no time for your family... this job is not worth the time .. and the pay is not great.. and they make you pay for your uniforms...

increase the base pay ...

3. STAY AWAY FROM THIS PLACE[ a word from the wise is sufficient]. DIVERSITY you wont find it here,very shady operation.

Former Employee - Driver Salesman in Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Driver Salesman in Richmond, VA

I worked at Blue Bell Creameries full-time (more than a year)

Pros

None ice cream gives you the runs,and no time for work life balance because the only thing they care about is Ice cream on the shelf not you or your family.

Cons

Upper management micro manages you to the TEE,but only if you are not one of their little flunkies.If you have a job keep it don't leave it for this it will be from bad to worse I PROMISE,one of if not the worse job I ever had. And turnover is very high 6 months max.

TRY A LITTLE DIVERSITY IN MANAGEMENT it dont have to be just the" old boys club"

5. Good Company, Good Benefits

Current Employee - Driver
    Current Employee - Driver

I have been working at Blue Bell Creameries

Pros

Benefits are good. People are good

Cons

Hours can be long Cold

Long hours but worth it

I have been working at Blue Bell Creameries (less than a year)

Pros

Higher-ups that listen, transfer opportunity

Cons

Long distance driving depending on your route, very early mornings

7. Worst Department Manager ever.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brenham, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brenham, TX

I have been working at Blue Bell Creameries

Pros

Great CEO. Paul Kruse. He is the son of the founding brother of the company.

Cons

Manager of the department that I worked in would harass certain employees on a regular basis. He would favor certain employees also. This manager has only worked for Blue Bell and no other company so he does not know what anything else looks like except for Blue Bell.

Treat everyone with respect and be fair in dealing with all employees.

8. Merchandiser

I worked at Blue Bell Creameries

Pros

Good hours, great people, half off on ice cream.

Cons

There were no significant drawbacks

9. Part-time Warehouse Associate: Good Pay but have to get use to the cold.

Current Employee - Warehouse Associate
    Current Employee - Warehouse Associate

I have been working at Blue Bell Creameries part-time (more than a year)

Pros

As a warehouse associate, you make over minimum wage and get nice raises once a year plus a good end of year bonus. You are able to set your schedule and Management does an excellent job working around your schedule. Co-workers become friends for life and you become a family with everyone. Opportunity to earn CDL

Cons

Being located in a distribution warehouse, it becomes tough when there is no communication from the main branch. Policies that are suppose to be in place wont be applied because of fear of loosing accounts. Management will not communicate efficiently, nor will they create part time employee's schedule. You must ask for hours.

My advice to management is better communication and scheduling part time workers more efficiently. A supervisor/manager shouldn't have to ask if a part time worker is going to work on a weekend or on a certain day.

10. Not what I expected.

Current Employee - Driver Salesman
    Current Employee - Driver Salesman

I have been working at Blue Bell Creameries full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Compensation is very fair, and benefits are excellent. Few other companies offer things like pensions these days. The work varies daily, which can be a pro if you dislike a mundane routine. The company has a tendency to forgive mistakes--even large ones--if they are owned up to responsibly.

Cons

Work/life balance is abysmal. During the hiring process, they mentioned that it's a very physical job with long hours, but I was not expecting up to 70 hours per week. It's not unusual at all to go for 12 to 14 hours without a break. Three a.m. starts leave little time for family or other commitments. "Chinese Overtime" adjusts your rate of overtime pay so that you're compensated less the longer you work. Although you work alone, you have little to no independence due to micromanagement.

Trust your drivers, and divvy up the workload. I think a lot of driver salespeople would be OK with a slightly smaller paycheck if it meant they got to spend more time with their families.

Supervisor

Current Employee - Supervisor in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Richmond, VA

I have been working at Blue Bell Creameries full-time (more than a year)

Pros

If you get to work at the right location the pros are endless. People are great and everything to follow is better.

Cons

If you get stuck working at the wrong branch or the wrong people are placed in management there that are racist, sexist, or play favorites then your done for. I have been with blue bell for sometime and have trained at other locations before I came to Richmond, Va. branch and I have to say that the 3 that run this location should all be fired to demoted based off the way they treat others below them. I have seen race play a factor in how you are treated there and sex as well. Also, if your over a certain age there is no need to apply because they will never call you back. These 3 managers make working at this location seem like hell due to the way they talk to you and go after you once your working there and you are not up to their standards. I could say calling the HR department in regards to this problem will not help due to others doing this and still nothing has been done to them any of them. Stay away from this branch....!

stop making off colored jokes. Don't allow your personal issues at home reflex how you treat people at work. Just because someone is of a different race or gender does not give you the right to treat them any different. Even though they know that they will not get into any trouble for it.

Blue Bell Creameries Photos

Blue Bell WorkTruck -20 degrees Very cold
Blue Bell Ice cream sales VERY well!
These are the 2 types of shirts that Route Salesman wear.

+ Add Photo