Blue Bird

Updated Jul 6, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Greg Bennett

Great manufacturing opportunity in Middle Georgia.

ProsFlexible hours, advancement opportunities, being able to work with senior management.

ConsNot a fun city to live in. Most people commute.

Great manufacturing company to intern with

Intern (Former Employee) Fort Valley, GA

ProsBlue Bird is a growing company. The management does a great job at motivating and rewarding hard workers. HR Department is fantastic. PTO days are generous

ConsThe location is not ideal. The building is pretty old. If there is a problem in the manufacturing section of the building, the offices are also disrupted.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe CEO and CFO are from Ford; they are excellent leaders. I feel like there are conflicting goals within the purchasing, engineering, and manufacturing that spill over to the middle management levels

My experience at Blue Bird was one that i'll always remember a life time.

Welder (Former Employee) Fort Valley, GA

ProsBlue Birds is a very family oriented workplace.

ConsThe hiring process takes a really long time at Blue Bird.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere are some internal issues that need to be monitored more closely.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Poorly Managed Company "The Good ol Boy system"

Quality Control (Former Employee) Fort Valley, GA

ProsNONE...only pro would be the experience of how NOT to run a company, not a place for someone with work ethics that are intelligent

ConsToo many to list...Poorly Managed, nasty filthy work environment, unsafe and unhealthy work environment. The company is ran in the fashion of the Good ol Boy system, breaking laws that could be get them sued example paying a woman less than a man for performing the same work tasks in the same dept "Obama passed a law for that one". Employees work like slaves doing tasks that are darn near humanly impossible, building 40 plus buses a day in less than 10 hrs by hand is unreal...quality is a BIG JOKE, they pull wet buses out of the paint oven just to get production later the paint peels off in sheets, Oh did I mention there is no primer LOL...Seats not bolted down, lol employees don't have time to do their job...two 10 min breaks in 10 hours only, the 30 min lunch break is not paid for. No raises, No state of the art equipment, use of OLD worn out hand tools, airlines covering the floors major trip hazard.The plant is very POOR and very OLD, most equipment looks like its from the 1950's....Unqualified Management is the biggest joke as any former or current employee can testify to. The waste is unreal, one could make a handsome salary off the waste, screws, rivets, parts, metal, paint, supplies, cardboard all thrown away...Oh I have seen management load up their pickup trucks with parts such as sheet metal and batteries and drive away. VERY VERY POORLY MANAGED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Advice to Senior ManagementNone...only advice is to the owners Read the cons above

A unique learning experience on how "not " to run a company.

Mid Management (Former Employee) Fort Valley, GA

ProsSeveral of the employees were hard working individuals. Most of the Direct labor force were very friendly. The direct labor employees tried to make the best of their situation.

ConsWay to many to list so I will address some of the top issues. 1) Basically anyone at a Manager level or above is "stuck" in non-inventive cover their ass mode. In short -- Paralysis. 2) The company is and has been getting rid of all of the talented personnel they had hired over the 2006 to 2007 time period. Only pencil pushing "yes" men/woman are left. 3) Strategically made a major mistake of vertically integrating machining, forming & producing of metal components. Long time "good ole boys" wanted to expand their "empire" so they invested in bricks and mortar type of operations. The long term effect is that Blue Bird will not & can not be competitive with the buses they produce.

Advice to Senior ManagementUnfortunately & with all sincerity there is only one way to deal with the Blue Bird situation. Like with any cancerous tumor you have to operate and remove it. In this case the tumor would be any Blue Bird manger with 10 plus years' experience @ Blue Bird. They need to be fired along with any of the "Visteon" management that now works for Blue Bird. Lastly, Cerberus, needs to go ahead and sell Blue Bird and remove themselves from the Blue Bird model. They have killed what once was a excellent family owned company by standing on the shoulders of local leadership and creating a stagnant work experience. They also threw millions of dollars away by hiring outside consultants to recommend and push ideas that were already inplace by the existing Blue Bird employees. Idiots!

Does not treat employees well

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Fort Valley, GA

ProsThe pay was alright.
    Other than that, it was a job. There really isn't much to say that was a pro.

Consconstant layoffs, very poor decisions by senior management, not able to focus on improving the business, people are treated like cattle always worried about being laid off.

Advice to Senior Managementleave. no one there trusts you and they all think you are incompetent. youre not fooling anyone and youre ruining the business

bluebird is scary

Tech (Current Employee) Fort Valley, GA

Prosthe only pros that i can really say about bluebird is that it has allowed me to take care of my family

Consthere are to many to list, constantly worried about being laid off, no paid time off, no retirement, no chance for a raise or promotion

Advice to Senior Managementit is not that difficult to see what is wrong with blue bird the management, my area leader know nothing about the job that I do yet when questions are asked about the job that I do he is the one that is asked, for all of the issues that go on at blue bird i have heard let it go from my bosses, don't worry about it, management worries more about the floor being swept then the work being done correctly, ask the employees what is wrong with the company and maybe they will be able to tell you how to build a quality bus, raise morale by doing something for the employees besides cooking hot dogs and hamburgers for us, Most employees that I work with will tell you why should they care they are going to be laid off anyway work the crap out of you then get rid of you the bluebird way. never been treated worse by another employer been their almost 7 years and would quit tomorrow if i could find a job even at a paycut just to get rid of stress dealing with bluebird

It's a Job

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Fort Valley, GA

Pros1. The office culture is very accommodating to the notion of Southern hospitality.
    2. Management is accessible.

Cons1. Company appears to lack a longterm vision.
    2. Layoffs have been common in recent years.
    3. Sustainability is questionable.

Advice to Senior ManagementDevelop and communicate a longterm vision to management and employees. Enhance the working conditions in the factory through investments in ventilation. Build the moral of the Blue Bird workforce.

Worked for Blue Bird? Contribute to the Community!