Blue Book Network Contractors Register

Updated Mar 12, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Rich Johnson

Pros:
  • "At the home office in customer service we also have many wonderful people that remain"
    in 7 reviews
  • "The Blue Book is 100 years old and has NEVER had a lay-off because of hard times"
    in 4 reviews
Cons:
  • "Distrust, micro-management, fear and intimidation are the components of the current culture"
    in 8 reviews
  • "I have to say that there is not a single manager that commands respect from any of the sales team"
    in 4 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

It was a great place to work with a great product until the IT guru who knows nothing about sales took over.

Sales Account Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Blue Book Network Contractors Register full-time for more than 10 years

ProsThe company paid well and had an excellent benefit package.

ConsMicromanagement by IT and Yellow Pages "people".

Advice to Senior ManagementKnow what your product is and let the account managers sell!

Very disappointing experience thus far

Boston, MA

I have been working at Blue Book Network Contractors Register full-time for more than 5 years

ProsI have met some great people- many of whom have been there for a long time. They have a descent benefit plan/ with much of December off, although very little vacation time outside of December. Great flexibility to work from home.

ConsShark like atmosphere, Non supportive management team, a penchant for always targeting and firing middle aged people, and very low salary. A pre-occupation with the ESOP which is meaningless to most poeple. No opportunity for advancement for most people, women in particular. The level of micromanaging is extraordinary.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop spending money on nonsense and start supporting the sales team with actual lead generation outside of the network

What a joke.

Sales Account Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Blue Book Network Contractors Register full-time for more than a year

Pros401k . 3 weeks off in dec.

ConsMicro management to death. Having to lie to customers to make the sale. Having new customers hate you after they start using.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to employee.

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Excellent Company!!

Account Manager (Current Employee)

ProsAs a past customer and current employee owner of almost 5 years, I see nothing but great things coming for anyone that is a customer or employee. This company truly cares about it's employees and customers, trying to make the product offerings and employee experience a better one.

ConsNone I can think of

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work!

The Blue Book was a great company in 1999 but became a micromanaged nightmare as the IT side took over the sales force.

Account Manager (Former Employee)

ProsTBB had an excellent benefits package.

ConsSales side had to constantly report all activity to Big Brother -each year we reported more. A lot of the reports took time away from selling!

Advice to Senior ManagementBe realistic in your goals and allow sales professionals to sell!

We're now an ESOP ! How cool is that??

Jefferson Valley, NY

ProsWe are now Employee-Owned! Career advancement opportunities are frequent in many depts. at HQ. If you want to pursue an advanced degree, there's a tuition reimbursement program. Great benefits, including summer Friday's at HQ. Incredible 401-K with a 10% match ~ unheard of anywhere else I've worked. Lots of great people ~ and a family atmosphere. We've never had a layoff in 100 years ~ not many companies can say that.

ConsHQ is not on a train line ~ we all have to drive, but for most of us, it's a really easy commute. There could be more PTO, but if you don't use sick time, additional PTO is the reward.

Advice to Senior ManagementHold Town Halls quarterly, if possible.

Good 401k, ESOP, nice people and work environment but low salaries!

MIS (Current Employee)
Jefferson Valley, NY

I have been working at Blue Book Network Contractors Register full-time

ProsGood 401k, now is ESOP, good benefits, half day summer fridays, nice work environment and never had layoffs in 100 years of business.

ConsVery low end salaries, You want to be on the lowest paid in your profession look no further!

Advice to Senior ManagementPay people decently and you might attract better workers and produce a higher level of service/products. Stop rolling out products that have never been tested properly. Having tons of products that perform poorly is not as good as one or two that work well and are polished. Sales micro management is not working.

My experience with our company is good and getting better. Not perfect but a good place to call "Home"

Sales Representative (Current Employee)

I have been working at Blue Book Network Contractors Register full-time for more than 8 years

ProsI love working with fellow co workers who really care about one another, our customers and building our company for another 100 years. Our sales group was asked, not coerced, not forced IF we wanted to we could share our feelings (anon) we could. It bothers me to have read from some past employees who said they "had to". How stupid.
I was given a chance to work here over 10 years ago and have been treated with respect by 3 different managers. I had a few pretty bad years and was helped but was told I needed to improve
because I was better than my numbers showed.
I bought into this job and my last 3 SALES jobs because I love some freedom but know nothing is free and I'm fine with being responsible. I know my RM was stressed about his job even though he never said anything. He counted on me and our team and we wanted to do well for each other and him. I have a ton of friends in SALES and when I tell them who we are, how we are treated and our culture they get jealous. It is not for everybody, obviously.
If you don't want to work super hard, be responsible for yourself, help others, do work that may not make quick money with doing some things but can build or learn new things then DO NOT work here. Simple as that. If you think you can make 70k - 100 k without working then leave so we can get people that see the real opportunity and aren't complacent whiners.
I want to stay here and do well especially now as a real stake in ownership.
Thank you for extra EB Bonus.....$10,000 wow!

ConsMore scheduled time for training. We get so busy running territories that our managers heads are spinning. We need to spend more time with reps in other areas to get ideas. We need more training material as resources. Listen more. Suggestion box is good idea but a joke because we never hear back a lot of times. I know we made and make changes from input but some recognition would be nice with kudos from home office. More people need to be able to go to Presidents club. Our RM is good and works a ton but if 3rd or 4th out of 30 they stay home-

Advice to Senior ManagementI did above in comments. Be genuine. Tell us the truth. Doing better with product roll outs but be careful not to expect miracles over night. Don't lump us in with the minority that are clueless or looking for a handout or complain. It's a great but hard job. Understand that and keep working on letting us know whats going on and why we do things.

A Great Company That Cares About Their People

I have been working at Blue Book Network Contractors Register full-time for more than 10 years

ProsThe Blue Book values their employees and they just don't say it.....they back it up with actions. Every employee owns a piece of the company and every employee has a 401-K plan that contributes $2 to every $1 the employee contributes. The Blue Book encourages creativity, ideas and allows every employee to be heard. Their policy of promoting from with-in allows for upward mobility and a long career. Employees who have been with the company for 20, 25 and 30 years is common. The company has a progressive attitude and is always working on new products to stay ahead of the curve and keep the company growing. The Blue Book is 100 years old and has NEVER had a lay-off because of hard times. Basically the Blue Book is old fashion in the sense that it fosters a culture of loyalty....much the way companies in the 50's 60's and 70's did. I've had the privilege of working with some of the best people I have ever met and I really feel lucky that I joined this company so many years ago

ConsBecause we put out superior products and treat our customers with loyalty and respect, our competition like to talk trash about us. They continually spread falsehoods about the company because they can't compete with their inferior products and poor customer service.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to take the time to study the needs of the industry and create products that serve those needs.

Good company and benefits. But salaries are not very good

I have been working at Blue Book Network Contractors Register full-time

ProsVery good benefits offered to employees, especially the 401K plan

ConsStarting to turn into a corporate environment, used to be more family friendly

Advice to Senior ManagementIt would be nice to have higher salaries.

Worked for Blue Book Network Contractors Register? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Blue Book Network Contractors Register reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Blue Book Network Contractors Register CEO Rich Johnson. All 50 reviews posted anonymously by Blue Book Network Contractors Register employees.