Blue Book Network Contractors Register

Updated Jul 18, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Rich Johnson

Pros
  • At the home office in customer service we also have many wonderful people that remain(in 9 reviews)

• There is a great 401K match, decent yet crazy expensive benefits, and great people to work with(in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Distrust, micro-management, fear and intimidation are the components of the current culture(in 8 reviews)

• Current UPPER management should be analyzed on their credentials and what they really contribute to the company(in 6 reviews)

Current Sales Representative

CIP (Construction Industry Professional) (Current Employee) Parsippany, NJ

ProsTerrific benefits, 401k 2 to 1 match!, Customer Service and MIS depts.

ConsMicro management of Sales force. Too many products that don't get to the core issue's that the customer base has expressed a need for... ACCURATE INFORMATION!!!!. Many bells and whistles are added to our inferior products to further confuse and drive away usership/ownership and ultimately DOLLARS!!!

Advice to Senior ManagementHOLD YOURSELVES ACCOUNTABLE to the degree you hold us sales people too!!!! You ALL would be on your final PIP! ( performance improvement plan)

If you want to be treated like dirt and micro managed to death, this is the place! Glad to be gone!

Account Manager (Current Employee)

ProsGood benefits, although starting 2013 you must pay a lot more for them.

ConsThey lie to you to get you hired, telling you how much growth the territory has in it; totally ignoring the reality of the construction market. The paperwork is unbelievable, yet you are expected to put in a full 8 hour day in the field with unrealistic expectations. This is the only place I know of where Account Managers who end in the top 1/2 of the company get reviews that say 'Unacceptable". And then there is the constant job threats because you can not live up to projections that only the top 15% of territories can live up to. This is a C+ product trying to make itself have the image of an A+ product.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop micro managing everything possible; stop giving us more and more paperwork to justify your jobs. Stop lying to the team about how secure the company is and the growth potential the territories have.

Desperate Measures for Desperate times

Sales Representative (Current Employee)

ProsGreat brand recognition in the construction industry. Excellent 401k, recently went to an Employee owned company which should be positive. Good contact management system.

ConsBeing in the construction industry the company has taken a hit with the down turn in the economy. The industry overall has shrunk dramatically. At the same time many IT based start ups have entered the market place with good products. Unfortunately the BB has not has not kept up with the changes or the competition. The approach seems to be to continually make changes or introduce new products that are not addressing the needs of their core customers.

BB has decided that if they micro manage their sales force they will vastly improve the above. BB already has had, for years, an excellent customer contact system which in turn tracks activity of reps. They have decided to "enhance" it with the sole purpose of nano management instead of investing time and energy into the short comings of the products the reps are trying to sell. In addition, the minimum daily expectations from management are near impossible to reach.

The Blue Books only true advantage over any of its competition is that they have reps in the field that are able to work with customers and get them over some of the short comings of product. At one time management realized this and treated sales well. The company prided themselves on the longevity of its employees and their culture which was strongly based on creating relationships in the field, unfortunately this is in the past.

Advice to Senior ManagementEmployees do understand the need for growth, you are dealing with mature people with great experience and industry knowledge. You are managing from a yellow pages handbook, an industry that is disliked by its customers and their employees. Is this the direction you want to go? Try listening, leading and inspiring as opposed to telling, threatening and demoralizing.
    Your vision is short sighted and based on it being an "employers market" this too will change and this culture will not attract the professionals this company needs to get the job done.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Do they really choose to ignore the writing on the wall????

Sales Representative (Current Employee)

ProsSome of the best sales reps still remain, but many have their exit plans already in motion, the 401K is better than most, now an ESOP company. At the home office in customer service we also have many wonderful people that remain. Working from home is a plus. We are well branded at 100 years old this year. A newly promoted good ole boy to VP with many years with this company could be our only hope.

ConsThe management team has chosen to follow some newly hired additions to their team from the Yellow pages. They are closed minded enough to think 2012 was a better year simply because of the NEW WAY the sales team is being handled. This is absolutely FALSE. These methods are demoralizing and will cause the eventual fall of this once great company. From our fist company meeting for 2013, we learned that it will be an unreal year of micromanagement. The expectations of what can actually be done in a day by a sales rep is TOTALLY unrealistic. You will be held accountable, with signatures and reviews required monthly. So much of this daily activity is NON revenue activity. This new culture is unbearable to even our new hires. They have stated that they wished they had "made better choices" before taking a position here. It of course did not help, that they were sold on the "old company culture", not the NEW CULTURE now in place.

Advice to Senior ManagementMost of you need to look in the mirror. You have made decisions that SALES is held accountable for with which we NEVER have any input. Management did listen a long time ago, but no longer. The first company meeting of this year, they promised to listen, but how could they???? They continue to roll out unreal expectations for all of us!

Hire better management

Listen, before it's too late

Awesome company!

Account Manager (Current Employee) Tampa, FL

ProsBest in the business and company treats you great!

Conslong interviiew process, but worth it!

Advice to Senior Managementkeep it up!

Was great but no more!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Pros401 K, Home office - The people still there

ConsIn the last 5 years a complete debacle - A company run by former sales reps with a chip on their shoulder - No management experience whatsoever- Not an MBA within miles of this company - The money and time wasted is truly unbelievable

Advice to Senior ManagementGet some management - REAL MANAGEMENT

Employees are crying the Blues!!

Account Manager (Current Employee)

ProsThe ability to schedule your week with daily appointments and work from home are always a plus in any industry. Compensation, benefits and incentives are good. 401K is great. Co-workers are wonderful and supportive. Especially the ones that have longevity. But, those long term employees are unfortunately dwindling!!

ConsUpper management does not see the reality of the industry. Times have changed. We are no longer on top. If the construction industry is running flat, new business licenses have dropped, and we almost doubled our rates, how do we grow our territory?? Guess what, we don't. We need to be more competitive with our competition on job leads. "Exposure" is no longer a big selling point. In numerous presentations, when BidClerk or Reed come up, I know I'm stuck. I don't have all the GC's listed bidding jobs, we don't message out who was awarded jobs and we don't have all the bidding subcontrators. It's become a hard sell. Not to mention we are more expensive than our competition. These are all issues that regional and area managers have heard for years.

Management compares the majority of the sales team to a few top producers in that given year. Even if you had a great year LAST year, if you have a bad one THIS year, you will be put on a plan. Which is fine and understandable, if it was fair and the same across the company, but it is not.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe solution is very simple and textbook. Listen to your sales force. The people that are out on the field hearing what our company is lacking compared to our competition. Bring together account managers, both long term and short term, from different regions and ASK what's going on out there.

MOTIVATE and ENCOURAGE your sales force. We don't need a cheerleader, but feeling like someone has our back and will listen would be wonderful. There has to be accountability on the account managers to drive the product and sell it. That is understood within the sales team. But what about upper management, area managers and regional managers???? Where's their accountability in this company for the bad decisions that have been made and the failings of this company???

It was and can still be a wonderful company. Hopefully, management has their listening ears on.

I

Dysfunctional Management....Controlled Chaos....Scare Tactics

Sales Representative (Current Employee)

ProsGreat customer service people, fair compensation and great 401K plan, solid core product ( book and internet datebase)

ConsFirst off let me say how much I have appreciated all The Blue Book has provided me with over the past 15 years. Up until about 4 years ago it was the leader in the industry. As of late, too much time is spent trying to be "everything to everybody" and the core products have suffered. You can't roll out so many new products that are substandard and expect customers to pay more simply because you have them whether they work properly or not. As a salesperson this is very hard to stand behind. Senior management might as well do away with regional managers since they are nothing more than puppets to the scare tactic games that corporate is playing. Daily schedules are micro-managed and scrutinized to the extent of simply just wasting the salesperson's time and forcing them to make up what we think should be there. There is an atmosphere of constant fear. What does it say about a company that treats a good employee who has had 20 plus years producing solid numbers for them to up and be forced to quit when having a single bad year because they are written up and threatened like a child rather than the company having the good sense to see a valued person through what all salespeople go through, simply a bad year....it happens. This isn't an isolated case and it pains me to see my co-workers going through this. Also, how does a company justify one week of vacation? It doesn't matter if you have been here one year or 25 years, you get that same one week off during the year. The off time we used to get after the close has dwindled away each year and what time is given to us now has us studying and preparing for the new year's trainings.

Advice to Senior ManagementSpend time truly listening to your long standing customers and salesreps. Stop flaunting the hot shot new salesperson around when we have all seen that person crash and burn and then leave the company only a few short years later. I hope Mr O'Malley (owner of The Blue Book) can take a lesson from professional sports teams. When things go bad and get worse, it's time for you as the owner of our team to stop looking at the players and start looking and the coaches. Maybe it's time to get some new coaches.

Reality Distortion Field

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsTwo to One 401(k) Match; Capped at $10,000.....Work From Home Office.

ConsThe product, as it compares to countless competitors, is not only inferior on all levels, but priced at two or three times the rates of those competitors. There is absolutely no self awareness by upper management, and they refuse to acknowledge the real situation. Feedback from the Account Managers who see hundreds of clients and prospects each year is immediately dismissed as nonsense. This company, a company whose success id directly tied to the commercial construction industry, doubled their pricing in 2011! Now they are baffled as to why this once great ship is heading for the rocks.

Jobs are threatened regularly, the compensation is weak, and the company culture is like the belly of a Viking ship without the whips. Micro Management doesn't even describe the atmosphere.....More like Nano Management. Not only is success not rewarded, management refuses to acknowledge the actual existence of success in any way.....They strive to charge back the Account Managers whenever possible. Even when companies have paid some of their contracts, The Blue Book will still charge you back the entire commission you earned.

You have to provide ALL of your own equipment and hardware, and they do not pay the proper IRS mileage.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop sleeping deeply on your laurels while new competitors pop up every day with better products and better pricing. Hire a real CEO and a real Sales Manager with the ability to recognize the changes in the marketplace, and the creativity to respond with competitive solutions.

The attitude that there is no competition is infantile. Where have all the sales gone?

a defeating work environment with consistently threatening work atmosphere..little or no positive reinforcement..company

Sales (Current Employee)

Pros401 k is an excellent plan

Consno positive reinforcement...consistently threatened throughout year on being able to keep your...unreachable quotas and almost impossible to meet personal improvement plans that are followed through on some and not others...consitently defeat your self esteem

Advice to Senior Managementmake an employee feel like you want them to succeed and not pretend that you do

Worked for Blue Book Network Contractors Register? Contribute to the Community!