Blue Book Network Contractors Register

Employment Status

Reset
2.4
Rich Johnson

Pros
  • Great flexibility to work from home (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Micro management of Sales force (in 11 reviews)

• Upper management not taking ownership that many of the companies issues are their doing (in 6 reviews)

The Grass is not Always Greener

Current Employee - Sales Account Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Account Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Blue Book Network Contractors Register full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I agree with the last reviewer. In the 10+ years that I've been a BDC I know at least 15 people that have left to "advance themselves"

Cons

Not being heard. We want to help our Company help our Customers. Listen to those who can! It takes a village!

Advice to Management

Stop expecting things to get better, by focusing on effort. What have we done to improve? Without that all the effort in the world falls short.

Good Company, Solid Reputation

Former Employee - Account Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Blue Book Network Contractors Register full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Bluebook was a great place to work. I was there for 3 years in California and developed a lot of great relationships with local contractors. The reason I'm posting is because I've seen a lot of misleading reviews here, probably left by guys who weren't good at relationship building. They're not a project lead site, they were a bid messaging service for GC's and property mgrs, if a contractor wants to build relationships, they signed, if they just want project data, they didn't. I found it pretty simple, if you're good at business development, you will find no better place to do so.

Cons

Some regions are not as good as others, the more dense the population the more you make, but all reps are graded on the same scale, which should be reworked.

Advice to Management

Not a perfect company, but name one that is. I still have some really great friends I made there and maintain a lot of those relationships. I met a lot of good people during my time and there is of course money to be made for the right person. If I were in leadership I'd take a look at the compensation variance between, say, a small territory of 150k and a large 700k territory. Both reps work 50 hours a week but the 700k guy makes 5x as much. Overall though they do a great job I had a lot of happy clients. About 80% of clients renew YOY. I only left because my wife got promoted and we moved, and Bluebook had no office in the Dakotas.

Treats their customers well and their employees well

Current Employee - Business Development Consultant
    Current Employee - Business Development Consultant

I have been working at Blue Book Network Contractors Register full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The Blue Book Network is a great company in which to work. They provide an invaluable service to their customers. As a BDC I really enjoy helping my customers build and grow their businesses. The compensation and benefits package is great. Time off in December is a plus also. I have and will continue to refer my friends to The Blue Book.

Cons

Some people have shared that the sales people are "micro managed". I can see where that could be a perception of some . However, in my personal experience if you are doing your job well it really should not be a major issue. The bottom line, do your job and everyone will be happy, including you. The compensation is very fair. In my experience I have grown my territory each year which is great and the compensation is very good when doing that. The only problem is that each year I am employed my total compensation goes down while my territory responsibility increases. I feel that I am a more valuable employee now than when I first started but I am making less money.

Advice to Management

Put yourself in a territory for at least a couple of weeks. I don't think you realize exactly what the life of a BDC is really like. It would always be helpful for you to see exactly what challenges and obstacles we deal with each day first hand.

Why wouldn't you want to work for The Blue Book ?

Current Employee - BDC in New York, NY
    Current Employee - BDC in New York, NY

I have been working at Blue Book Network Contractors Register full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The Blue Book is a GREAT company to work for. After "giving "the company to the employees, they still continued to match up to 5% of your 401K each year. They increased the based salary this year based on size of territory and offer quarterly bonuses and other incentives to help pay you more for the job you are required to perform. Upper management is always receptive to your new ideas and suggestions . It doesn't mean they will do everything you ask , but at least it's a discussion. They are always looking for new ways to help better the product and the customer experience which in turn helps the BDC's. Every department works together to get the job done. There is a lot of internal support as well as external.

Cons

There are too many good products to sell that it's hard to speak about each one in the amount of time you have with a customer.

Advice to Management

Keep creating new enhancements and upgrading our system so we can beat anyone that comes our way

The Good and Bad

Former Employee - Sales Executive
    Former Employee - Sales Executive

I worked at Blue Book Network Contractors Register full-time

Pros

Great place to make big bucks and work with great people in construction. Terrific training from some of the best people in charge of training.

Cons

Some of the managers need help in managing sales pros and keeping them motivated. That's why they have such a high turnover in the sales organization. Not much of a n opportunity to move into management. They seem to hire from the outside

Advice to Management

Hire better managers and keep them motivated. My manager wanted me to treat every one of my customers as a 'cash register ringing'.

Through the many years overall more positive than negative, but currently not going in right direction.

Current Employee - BDC in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - BDC in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

401K, 3weeks in December off, Benefits, compensation opportunity, co workers.

Cons

Even with anonymous input upper management still isn't getting it. Help those who are newer but you are punishing those who aren't. In a perfect world sharing best practices and urging others on is great but currently it isn't happening and is counter productive. With technology there are many tools to connect, train and motivate that doesn't have to be micro managing or demeaning to professionals.

Advice to Management

Stop drinking your own koolaid please. Just think how many more sales we could have had if using updated successful and new management styles. In sales we are always looking for new and adapting to new ideas. What worked in the 80-90's in an industry with 70-80% turnover might not be the preferred go to management template for today. High turnover is very expensive and stops desired growth. Your high achievers just let your management style go in one ear and out the other. But what if you tried to get it right? Also it might be a good idea to focus on current products and get them with more plans, and other services competition is doing better than rolling out more new products before the bugs are worked out. The Blue Book in spite of the self inflicted problems upper management is creating it still is the best company and product out there. But it has the potential to be the Google for the construction industry if they trust their employees as much as you are asking us to trust you.

Account Manager

Former Employee - Accouont Manager in South Florida, FL
    Former Employee - Accouont Manager in South Florida, FL

Pros

Great people and products. Happy with company and management. No complaints. I was there 7.5 years. Fantastic benes w/matching 401k plus discretionary match.

Cons

Rolling out new products quickly. Could have used a bit more training.

To our customers, we have great products these posts are directed to our management AND a response to an earlier post.

Current Employee - Sales Representative
    Current Employee - Sales Representative

Pros

Like most posts: great 401K, medical and work at home at times. Customer Service is Great and so are some other employees!

Cons

First to the post "Treats their customers well & employees..." I need to add to it, I'm not being critical, just adding to it. That's great you're not worried about micro managing since you are doing your job and growing your territory!. However, many people are doing their job and get the same treatment. Call blocks in the sales office, report the amount of calls, # of decision makers contacted, appts. made and how many emails sent. In my experience of many years of sales, I would say that is micro managing. Call blocks are a good thing so you can concentrate on just prospecting BUT, the same thing can be done at home and calling in your #'s. Some reps have a long distance to travel to the regional office and have to figure out some personal obligations that can be very difficult to coordinate at times.The travel time takes away from our stack of paperwork, prospecting and family time. Management REALLY doesn't think about the personal obligations even though they claim they do. Everyone has an opinion, but the other comments from your post said you grow your territory every year but you're making less money than when you started. Also, you want management to ride with sales for a couple weeks to see the challenges and obstacles of the sales rep. (not a bad idea for them to do all the duties like paperwork and call blocks etc.) Sounds to me like a 5 star isn't the right performance rating if you have some legitimate concerns that are on the negative side.....jus' my opinion. This company still has a lot of good products (just too many) and exposure for our customers. Our sales force and teams at headquarters do a great job taking care of our customers!! The people posting are still here because they know we have great products and team support but need a major change in management!! I feel the negative posts that are written by current employees are true because almost every post is letting management know how we feel since we feel our job would be in jeopardy if they know who we are. IF YOU ARE A CUSTOMER OR POTENTIAL CUSTOMER, just know how great our products are, the excellent exposure to the commercial construction industry and our personal service to you!! As for SOMEONE JOB SEARCHING, the posts give you a picture of "The Real"! If we had a "Board of Directors" that were not employed here or a hired consultant, things would be done differently.....that's when management would change!! But until then, it's status quo and they continue to drink the same flavored Kool Aid etc., etc., etc.....

Advice to Management

Give us vacation time according to the tenure of employees and stop the constant micro managing and changing everything every few months and threats to our jobs. Just read the CONS, there's more there!!

The Blue Book's mismansgement

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jefferson Valley, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jefferson Valley, NY

Pros

Benefit package. 401 matching contribution.

Cons

Bad decision making. Poor product release. Not aware of what it is to do the actual work asked of workers in main office. Out sourcing work with poor results. And an atmosphere of cronyism and nepotism by upper management. Salaries well below the norm in our business. And the "let them eat cake" attitude toward the workers who have to work more hours for less pay to make ends meet.

Advice to Management

Take lees from the company and spread the profits to all instead of setting goals that fail and then giving a paycheck as a bonus at the end of the year. Stop micro managing, get rid of dead weight workers who do not contribute and take 2 hour lunches. Give raises to the ones that show they produce. The work place is poisoned with fear and distrust. Stop throwing "our" money away buying companies and bringing on those company execs with huge salaries. They end up invisible somewhere in the Blue Book.

Morale has never been lower

I have been working at Blue Book Network Contractors Register full-time

Pros

401K and health benefits are the best thing offered by this company. They do a 2 for 1 match which is very hard to find elsewhere IF you can last to build it up?

Cons

No trust or confidence in the sales force. the only feedback they listen to is feedback that agrees with their micro managing style. They say we are employee owned BUt the steering committee makes all the decisions. I would look elsewhere if your looking for a career

Advice to Management

Get new management that values it's employees and understands that a positive environment is a must if you wish the company to grow. Stop lying to the sales force and set realistic expectations

RSS Feed </> Embed