Blue Book Network Contractors Register

Updated Mar 12, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Rich Johnson

Pros:
  • "At the home office in customer service we also have many wonderful people that remain"
    in 7 reviews
  • "The Blue Book is 100 years old and has NEVER had a lay-off because of hard times"
    in 4 reviews
Cons:
  • "Distrust, micro-management, fear and intimidation are the components of the current culture"
    in 8 reviews
  • "I have to say that there is not a single manager that commands respect from any of the sales team"
    in 4 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

An Employee owned Business with a Family Owned approach

Programmer (Current Employee)
Jefferson Valley, NY

I have been working at Blue Book Network Contractors Register full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThe effort and value provided by my fellow Blue Book Employee Owners to the construction industry has been outstanding. As the economy improved for our customers and builders It has allowed us to launch new products and connect and grow our customers businesses. It is rewarding to know that your products are making a difference.

ConsSupporting the construction and advertising industries during the worst economic time since the depression is exhausting. We have continued to try and improve our products and processes and deliver more value to our customers but we need more paid time off!

Advice to Senior ManagementStay true to your core mission and you will be around another 100 Years!

Great Company

Account Manager (Former Employee)
Denver, CO

I worked at Blue Book Network Contractors Register full-time for more than 3 years

ProsFlexability, pay and challenge. Fun and educational

ConsThe manager I had was very sketchy and did some very unethical things

Advice to Senior ManagementDiscipline managers for bad behaviour, like altering contracts with financial data

Fair Progressive Company that Gives you the ability to Succeed based on Ability, and Effort

I have been working at Blue Book Network Contractors Register

ProsMostly Everything. Having worked here over 20 years, I can tell you that there isn't a better Company to work for. Good People and the ability to run your own territory. As long as you are smart enough and work hard enough to do so. It appears that there are negative reviews written by unsuccessful Account Managers who want to blame everyone else but themselves.

ConsMore vacation time based on tenure, other than that I have none.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore interaction with Account Managers before implementing new products.

This is one of America's best kept secrets. Was there 7 years and resigned when I decided to buy a travel franchise.

Sales Account Manager (Former Employee)
Pompano Beach, FL

I worked at Blue Book Network Contractors Register full-time for more than 5 years

ProsCompany is employee owned...almost everyone there (about 400 employees) has been there over 10 years, with many over 20 & 30. They hire sharp people with a kind touch. Company training is thorough and they have their priorities in the right place: products, customer service and employees. Great Company.

ConsPlease consider this a genuine response, but, I truly do not have any.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what your doing!

Interesting and challenging work opportunity in a company with a family atmosphere.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Jefferson Valley, NY

I worked at Blue Book Network Contractors Register as a contractor for more than 3 years

ProsForward looking company developing new products to serve the construction industry.

ConsCampus of two unconnected buildings can be an issue in wintry weather.

Excellent Company!!

Account Manager (Current Employee)

ProsAs a past customer and current employee owner of almost 5 years, I see nothing but great things coming for anyone that is a customer or employee. This company truly cares about it's employees and customers, trying to make the product offerings and employee experience a better one.

ConsNone I can think of

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work!

We're now an ESOP ! How cool is that??

Jefferson Valley, NY

ProsWe are now Employee-Owned! Career advancement opportunities are frequent in many depts. at HQ. If you want to pursue an advanced degree, there's a tuition reimbursement program. Great benefits, including summer Friday's at HQ. Incredible 401-K with a 10% match ~ unheard of anywhere else I've worked. Lots of great people ~ and a family atmosphere. We've never had a layoff in 100 years ~ not many companies can say that.

ConsHQ is not on a train line ~ we all have to drive, but for most of us, it's a really easy commute. There could be more PTO, but if you don't use sick time, additional PTO is the reward.

Advice to Senior ManagementHold Town Halls quarterly, if possible.

A Great Company That Cares About Their People

I have been working at Blue Book Network Contractors Register full-time for more than 10 years

ProsThe Blue Book values their employees and they just don't say it.....they back it up with actions. Every employee owns a piece of the company and every employee has a 401-K plan that contributes $2 to every $1 the employee contributes. The Blue Book encourages creativity, ideas and allows every employee to be heard. Their policy of promoting from with-in allows for upward mobility and a long career. Employees who have been with the company for 20, 25 and 30 years is common. The company has a progressive attitude and is always working on new products to stay ahead of the curve and keep the company growing. The Blue Book is 100 years old and has NEVER had a lay-off because of hard times. Basically the Blue Book is old fashion in the sense that it fosters a culture of loyalty....much the way companies in the 50's 60's and 70's did. I've had the privilege of working with some of the best people I have ever met and I really feel lucky that I joined this company so many years ago

ConsBecause we put out superior products and treat our customers with loyalty and respect, our competition like to talk trash about us. They continually spread falsehoods about the company because they can't compete with their inferior products and poor customer service.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to take the time to study the needs of the industry and create products that serve those needs.

I Love The Blue Book Building and Construction Network! Who Wouldn't?

I have been working at Blue Book Network Contractors Register

ProsIt's one of the only companies in America that has and continues to hire for top talent for positions during times of recession. The company always provides an opportunity for employees to attend educational or training seminars to help employees grow professionally. The company provides a tuition reimbursement program for employees to utilize to become more proficient and knowledgeable in their field. The President of the company has an "open door policy" in the sense that if you have something on your mind, his door is always open as well as his phone line. Senior Management is always friendly and approachable.
Working at The Blue Book is a great experience. Everyone is friendly and gives you a sense of "family" oriented. It's not "cold" like a major corporation is; even the buildings at Head Quarters location carry a sense of welcome; there are always beautiful flowers at each entrance; maintained grounds and extremely clean working environments. Employees have the best interest for each other and continually help one another. Everyone provide ideas and feedback. It's a true pleasure to work at The Blue Book.

ConsThe cons of the Blue Book are ........well, can't seem to think of anything.

Advice to Senior ManagementAdvice to Management - have round tables or employee/management forums on different topics of the business each quarter or semi-annually. Provide an environment for the forums where employees can feel comfortable that their feedback, ideas and suggestions are wanted, heard and appreciated.

This Company Is Passionate about Purpose

Account Manager (Current Employee)
Atlanta, GA

ProsThe Blue Book is a great place to work for many reasons. One that stands out is that it is a sound company with a solid foundation. Much like the anatomy of a building's construction, this solid foundation has stood the test of time. 100 years later and still standing!! This strength helps me in knowing that I am working for a company that is secure in all aspects of execution such as being financially sound, having a proven record in diversifying and adapting to new challenges, a strong internal and external support team, and a laundry list of so many different ways to be rewarded monetarily.

Each level of leadership has a keen sense of what is needed and what it takes to press on, motivate their segment, or simply stay focused on the tasks at hand. The fact that this leadership is open to creative ideas and objective reasoning only strengthens my position.

Another reason is that this company is passionate about purpose. Working for a company that has a clearly defined purpose and the ability to carry it out has enabled me to transfer that purpose to my clients. I have witnessed their hardships and triumps, successes and defeats. Through it all, I have felt that The Blue Book and its People overwhelmingly supports and understands that our customers are owed (for their investment) the resources and abilities to overcome whatever the industry or market influence throws at it over the course of time. This feeling of purpose inspires me to listen, learn, teach, inspire and build their business for them as the Blue Book has built mine for me.

There are many other reasons why I like working for The Blue Book. They would include Confidence, Security, Accountability, Self Reliance, Personal Growth, Community Service, Positive Impacts on Economic Growth (for me, my customers and the region)... or how about the fact that I have been given the opportunity to create and maintain a marketplace for buyers and sellers to communicate, conduct business and establish vital business relationships? Pretty impressive company if you ask me!

ConsMaybe more vacation time, but 4 weeks is decent enough!

Advice to Senior ManagementThanks for the support!!

Worked for Blue Book Network Contractors Register? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Blue Book Network Contractors Register reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Blue Book Network Contractors Register CEO Rich Johnson. All 50 reviews posted anonymously by Blue Book Network Contractors Register employees.