Blue Book Network Contractors Register

Employment Status

Reset
2.0
Rich Johnson

Pros
  • Great flexibility to work from home (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Micro management of Sales force (in 11 reviews)

• Upper management not taking ownership that many of the companies issues are their doing (in 6 reviews)

Being 'Steered' into the ground!

Current Employee - Business Development Consultant

I have been working at Blue Book Network Contractors Register full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

401k. Great morale when I got on board. Ability to work from home, which is now being micormanaged to a whole new level. December Vacation.

Cons

micro managing to the point of needing to put down bathroom breaks on my itinerary. rolling out new products and services faster than we can update/polish what we already have. did I mention micro managing?

Advice to Management

Listen to the people that have got the company to where it is (or was). stop hiring people to 'steer' us. Stop trying to make us feel like we are not working hard. Morale is at all time low since I have got here. In speaking with many around the country, they are all looking for other careers. Turn over has to be at an all time high right now.

Their Mantra, BLAME SALES,BLAME SALES...BLAME SALES

Current Employee - Sales Account Manager

Pros

Some outstanding employees still remain, although turnover is at an all time high. Customer service will always be there to help. 401K match. The remaining loyal customers we have, but are slowly losing.

Cons

If you enjoy being treated like you forgot how to sell this is the company for you. We are treated like an entry level sales team. They micromanage beyond, driving the reps and managers crazy. Sales is consistently to blame for poor results with no blame at the top. Our evauation of their products and leadership is UNSATISFACTORY. Which brings me to the next conclusion. It is great job security the most senior management have created when they also sit on the board. THEY ANSWER TO NOBODY and get to keep THEIR POSITIONS. That is seen at no other company I have ever worked at EVER! Research that when you get a chance. The products are faulty. We should focus on exposure and shut down the leads. We would be better off to pour all the money into SEO for our customers. The competition has changed and so has the game. We are no longer the once great company that was run by our past GREAT owner. If you join, you will see the fall of Blue Book. The ESOP is a joke as we have no say, are told very little and obviously the people that will benefit sit on the board and also run the company. We are constantly under the microscope, trained and retrained. A kid in college stated to me that they treat their sales team the exact opposite of what they should in order to get the best results. Morale is beyond bad.

Advice to Management

WE WANT TO BE SOLD SINCE THERE IS NO CHANCE OF A POSITIVE CHANGE IN LEADERSHIP! Have the guy that did our home page and sold many companies get us ready to be sold or HIRE HIM AS CEO. Let us review you and your leadership.

Morale has never been lower

I have been working at Blue Book Network Contractors Register full-time

Pros

401K and health benefits are the best thing offered by this company. They do a 2 for 1 match which is very hard to find elsewhere IF you can last to build it up?

Cons

No trust or confidence in the sales force. the only feedback they listen to is feedback that agrees with their micro managing style. They say we are employee owned BUt the steering committee makes all the decisions. I would look elsewhere if your looking for a career

Advice to Management

Get new management that values it's employees and understands that a positive environment is a must if you wish the company to grow. Stop lying to the sales force and set realistic expectations

Enough New Products & New Positions....Think Smart and Keep it Simple!

Current Employee - Sales Representative
    Current Employee - Sales Representative

I have been working at Blue Book Network Contractors Register full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Pros & some Cons: Good benefits, 401-K, flexible schedule, but that has even gotten more limited. Opportunity to make some bonus money with the compensation plan this year. SOS has made some updates and has helped sales preparing for appts.....when our system is working!!

Cons

We have way too many people training, consulting and managing with big titles. This company does not need the "fat" of management ....put that money in the employees that work hard to help pay your salaries! We are not a Fortune 100, 200 , 300, etc., company! We are employee owned and do not have a say in anything. This company had a great leader who owned Blue Book and a few years ago was generous enough to let us buy it. We miss his leadership, generosity and heart for his employees! The current President and upper management "think" they are doing what's right for the company. They are not "in touch" with the sales field.and what the customer wants. We pride ourselves on our data and projects.....prove it and find new opportunities for our customers because that's what they want. We are buying companies and "creating" new positions with big salaries and basically over spending and answering to no one! I understand there is a board of directors but I'm not sure who they are?? Management should just let sales people sell instead of recording calls in detail and the overload of admin.

Advice to Management

Read the reviews on Glass Door and see the "real" of what is happening. It's not the professionals in the sales field not doing our job, it's a system that consistently has technology issues, poor project leads and very poor management! I believe we have a Board of Directors, do they have a say as to whether management is doing their job?? Blue Book can still be a great company. !f the tiers of management would pay attention and listen to the people who are in the trenches with the contractors, sales would be up! Give our clients what they want! If you want to introduce a new product, introduce "one". not two that compete with the other! The Blue Book has a lot to offer that no other company can....we are unique, let's not complicate it. "Think Smart and Keep it Simple"! It's about QUALITY not QUANTITY. Please don't bring out another new product!!

The Blue Book Network Not AKA Dodge or Mcgraw Hill

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jefferson Valley, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jefferson Valley, NY

Pros

Benefits, Summer Hours. Work From Home options, Snow Days

Cons

Buying start up companies and their employees and paying them management salaries. Which is taking money out of Employees pockets. You tell us we are not making money yet you buy two start up companies and spend money on products that are not working and Rolling out the products before they are ready to be rolled out. Adding extra responsibility on employees in the office as well as the field with little or no compensation. Trying to be a company which we are not EX (Dodge and REED) We are THE BLUE BOOK NETWORK NOT DODGE or REED. We never were them nor will be ever be them. That is why the Blue Book Network has survived for 100 plus years. But the rate The Blue Book is going we will all be looking for jobs in the next 5 years. Lately we are not worried about the small companies that advertise with us we are only worried about the big ones and big jobs in the network and not small jobs. We Understand we want private jobs in the network however the public jobs are the ones that make us most of our money. Pre design and Design and Private Jobs are a bonus and should not be a priority. Smaller projects GC projects and Public projects will keep our customers happy. Not a project that wont come about for another year or not at all. Department Managers playing Dodge Ball when it comes to being confronted on issues. Some Department Managers and employees that have management positions should sit with employees and see what each arm of the department does. Some Department managers have no clue.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees. Stop making poor management decisions. Your employees Matter. The Company should close down between Christmas and New Years.

Don't believe the hype

Pros

401K is the only great thing and the people working in the trenches day in and day out. If you went to John Jay highschool then you may have a chance here.

Cons

Ever since the owner has been out of the picture this company has gone downhill. Senior management is filled with greed and zero and I mean zero leadership skills. They are so far removed from reality that its impossible to communicate. Unless they hear dollars being put into their pockets then they do not care about what you have to say at all. Its sad. I loved this company and did everything to make it a great place. But again with the new leadership all you are fed is lies. Such as "do this and we will give you this" but when you accomplish the task you are given you are told "we changed our minds" what's the point of making them money??? Hopefully when the greed is removed and the nonhelpful senior management is removed then this company can become the great place it once was. But as long as its leaders are in place then this will continue to spiral downward as it has. Nobody I speak with is happy and senior management is oblivious to the needs of their employees because they are making 30x what rest of the staff is making. Its disgusting. And again zero leadership skills. They use threats to encourage. Sorry but that doesn't work. Lead by example is a foreign language to them. Good luck to anyone that falls into this horrible trap. If Jim only knew what his replacements have been doing he would be sick. But they keep him in the dark to line their pockets at any cost. They have chased out any employees that cared for this company and replaced them with friends and relatives. Skills are not needed for a position. Its all about who you know. The talent is all gone. I see this place going under in about 5 years. That's my 2 cents. Hope it helps. I'm looking to move on now. Thanks for all the years but its no longer a place I like going to.

Advice to Management

Learn what management means. Take some courses on how to manage and I don't mean micromanage. Or replace all of yourselves with people that know how to run a business before the doors of the Blue Book are closed forever.

Past time for real honest change!

Current Employee - Business Development Consultant

Pros

The people who are so completely caring and passionate about the Blue book and their jobs. Anyone can see after reading all of these reviews that our employees love this company but are crying out for help. There truly are some really great people working here.

Cons

Management is really bad. The general managers have an impossible job. They cannot win, the reason is the companies culture is to find someone doing something wrong versus finding someone doing something right. The area managers seem to be trying hard not to micro manage us and trust us to do our thing. However you can feel the ongoing thrashing from the president and his sales director. Their constant drum beat is you guys are not doing what it takes. More importantly that is how we are treated from first thing Monday morning until Friday night. I have no idea where these guys got their playbook, but they need to throw it in the ocean and learn how to treat people, that is the biggest problem. They do not treat their people well!

Advice to Management

Just like an NFL team that constantly does not perform well, get a new coach, GM and specialty coaches. This is the kind of change that will turn things around. The current group in charge literally keeps moving the same management personnel into different management positions. PLEASE STOP IT! this team you have put together in upper management may be passionate, and may grind it out each day for 12 hours but it is not working. They do not have a clue how truly bad morale is. Get a new management team and your team will flourish. CHANGE AT THE TOP SOONER THAN LATER, we are crying for this kind of change.

Micro Management Keeps Getting Worse!

I have been working at Blue Book Network Contractors Register full-time

Pros

Same as you have seen with others, 401k, work from home, great benefits.

Cons

Each year with The Blue Book gets progressively worse. As a "BDC", I no longer have the freedom to run my territory the way I have successfully in the past, and now have a list of weekly requirements that is just pathetic! I am an adult, I have proven myself with this company, yet I am constantly being told what to do daily, with almost no flexibility. I had been a happy employee with The Blue Book until this year, but my updated resume is all over the place so I can find an employer that will treat me like an adult.

Advice to Management

Trust the people you have spent so much time interviewing and training, and understand that micro management may be good for office drones, but for the outside sales professional, it often has the opposite effect.

Quality Control Specialist

I worked at Blue Book Network Contractors Register full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Half Day Summer Fridays - 401 K Match up to 5% - Snow Days - Health, Dental, and Vision

Cons

- Terrible salaries and yearly raises - Incompetent Management - Poor Communication - Childish Employees - Double Standards - Not flexible with employees unless they're favorites of management

Advice to Management

All upper management, including HR, needs to go for management training and learn to change with the times. For the salaries you pay employees, it is unreasonable to expect them to give up as much of their lives as you ask or force them to do mandatory overtime. You reply to employee comments on here saying they shouldn't remain anonymous, but in the past when employees have come to you with a problem, you turn it around on them and use it as an excuse to reprimand them formally for ridiculous, made up reasons of insubordination. Management bullies their underlings, favorites are played - it's like being in high school over again. You want to know why there is so much turnover? It's because real talent is not appreciated, and you treat us like children in kindergarten. The company is not going to grow or retain employees if you keep treating them all terribly, and keep coddling the ones that are the real problems and bring the morale of everyone else down (I'd look toward the Paid Order Processing Department if you want examples of low morale and bullies - you can't turn your head in there without finding one).

Stop Restructuring and invest in the core of the company

I have been working at Blue Book Network Contractors Register

Pros

Excellent benefit package. Flexibility in working from home though that usually results in working more hours than any normal job. Fantastic hard-working customer service people and a client base that are good people looking to better their businesses.

Cons

As I've seen in other reviews, the micro-management is to such an extreme that is has caused stress levels in the salespeople that simply aren't healthy. The entire burden of the company seems to rest squarely in the shoulders of the sales force without regard to systems that don't work on a consistent basis. In the many years I have been here it saddens me to see morale at such an all time low.

Advice to Management

Take some advice from sports teams (since upper management likes those analogies), when you trade and fire the players and still things spiral downward, at what point do you look to the coaches, management and owners? It is great that we have become an employee owned company but it truly feels that the employees have no opinion and are kept in the dark of what I deem as important decisions. For example, how do we have a National Sales Conference (which you only gave the employees just over 2 weeks notice of-very inconsiderate when you know we have families and responsibilities) and spend that kind of money to fly us all out, hotel, food, etc.....? How do you invite all the managers to a Trade Show in Las Vegas where the wining and dining expenses where outlandish? Don't we have a group that could have handled this on a smaller scale and saved money? How much do we pay for the many consultants we have hired? How much did acquiring Proview cost? It is a great acquisition but at what point does this "Employee Owned" company open up its books and share the true story? Lastly, to the HR department who has responded to some of these posts, thank you for taking the time to read them but do you honestly think that anyone would ever call up to the home office and express these valid concerns with you and not have their job in jeopardy? If you ever wonder why we won't call up to you, please just listen in on one of the company webinars where our jobs are threatened and we are repeatedly told that what we are doing isn't good enough.

RSS Feed </> Embed