Blue Book Network Contractors Register

Updated April 13, 2015
67 reviews filtered by

Is Change Coming...Too Late

Current Employee - Business Development Consultant

I have been working at Blue Book Network Contractors Register full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good benefits,401k, work from home, customer service and call center excellent. Company is trying to initiate changes.

Cons

Bad decisions over product development and product launching have caused this 100 year old company to lose its foothold in the marketplace. Products are developed and launched without any field input or interest from customers, the end result has been a poor experience on the end user side, resulting in less logging in to the system! The arrogance of some of the leadership at the top levels is so great that as little as two years ago they would boastfully say we have no real competition in the marketplace. Guess what, it is competition if they are competing for and winning the limited $ of customers. Lots of issues to overcome most are stemming from the IT side and the ability to provide the complete and needed information in an easy to use format for our customers.
    Growth is extremely important and those at the top can not understand why it is so difficult. Consultants are hired and paid to determine this. Try talking to the thousands of customers who have left, they will give you an idea or better yet listening to what your reps in the field have been saying for the last eight years or so.
    No accountability at the top for the current problems. In a recent national sales call the overwhelming clear message was sell more or else. "this is what you signed up for." I actually thought I signed up for a top notch company and product that would help those in construction reach their goals, PLEASE DELIVER.

Advice to Management

Take accountability for your actions. The same leadership team has been in place for a long time with a lot of poor decisions and unwillingness to initiate true change. I have not heard a fresh idea yet. Now trying to catch up to the competition which should have been happening years ago. I think change needs to happen at the top levels of this organization.

Not even a glimmer of hope

Current Employee - Sales Account Manager
    Current Employee - Sales Account Manager

I have been working at Blue Book Network Contractors Register full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Constant support from some of the BEST in customer service!
    We still have some amazing people left in this company, but they are dwindling
    Ability to work from a home office
    benefits

Cons

LEADERSHIP...specifically in NEW YORK. If we are going to restructure, we should not simply move one high level management position to another. We need IMMEDIATE change in these poitions. These are the same people that have made the same bad decisions. In any other company...they would be gone! We need to clean house and get educated management with real leadership skills that innovate and inspire change. We have way too many managers collecting too many big hefty salaries that are NOT EARNED!

Management is always blaming sales for loss of revenue and never enough growth. They never own their own mistakes. We have been asking for more leads, awarded information, and planning information for MANY years, well aware the competiion was closing in on us fast...now that the competition is ALL OVER US...they finally start the process...is it too late????

This is an ESOP on paper only. In reality it is one person who makes the final decision and maybe a couple others. Sales has never had the chance to have any real input on decisions made. If we did, we would not be in this current sinking ship position.

The market has changed and we need to leave our BIG ego behind. Our products on the IT side have worked half of the time online. Many sales presentations this year turned into the dance of disaster with unexpected problems occuring while either trying to sell a new prospect or trying to renew a customer. By the way, our company email was down just today. Do you get the picture? THIS IS THE REAL!

Lack of disclosure to employee owners of revenue spent on sales projects and fees to conultants. Purchase price for Jobsite 123 and also management stock options. Poor communication.

Advice to Management

You never needed to hire conultants for hundreds of thousands of dollars. The answer is with the custmer that cancelled. Why did all of them cancel? Some have been with us over 20 years! Did you ask? Most of your effort should have been focused on this group. You don't need consultants to figure this out.

Maybe you should read about the top 10 turnaround CEO's like I did. Their are 10 inspirational leaders that turned around their companies. In case you think you have it all figured out, here are a few facts.

The computer CEO reduced the 350 projects the company had in development to 50 and then to as little as 10. He mainly focused on the next big thing...I think we know what they are...one is used in the field. The stock rose more than 9000 percent. Buy the book.

Cell phone CEO...In 2008 this phone carrier lost 5.1million subscribers. He created a new rate plan and recognized they were last in customer satisfaction surveys.

Soup CEO 2001-2011 Recognized sales were falling due to management raising prices. He believed success was employee engagement. He replaced 300 of the 350 top level management staff to assist with his 10 year goal plan.

What is our 1,5, and 10 year plan? We will not be here if we don't have a plan and find the BEST PEOPLE in management to make the decisions. You have not given us any reason to trust and believe that you are capable of making the right decisions. We are running out of time. It's not about friendships at the top any longer. It's who can do the job the best! The past owner deserves more! Do him a favor and resign.

We need superior products again. We fail in this department except for print. Why can't we have the best BB BID and focus on the job leads and of course our book and online exposure. The rest is not gaining us any ground.

Stop the dishonesty on this site. DO NOT have management do these bogus posts that mislead the reader into believing this company is not having these huge problems. If we had no problems you would not have the overpaid consultants on our payroll. Stop this nonsense!

The bonus/pay structure that was in place this year saved the company tons of money at the expense of the sales team. Do not complain about not getting your bonus when the sales team has taken a drastic pay cut. Sleep well...

3. Solid Training & Sales Opportunity -- Although I believe that "print" advertising is a dying industry.

Current Employee - Regional Sales Manager in Jefferson Valley, NY
    Current Employee - Regional Sales Manager in Jefferson Valley, NY

Pros

The company has great training and the people that work there really are great. Corporate is in upstate New York and the people are all very friendly and great. There is potential to make a lot of money and they also have some pretty cool perks when you hit presidents club.
    They are moving their business model to include a bunch of great internet/computer products.

Cons

They place a lot of emphasis on Print Advertising which I believe is a dying industry. However, they are ramping up their internet and computer based offerings and if they can get those flying -- there will be a huge opportunity for growth.
    The only way to promote above a Regional Manager position is to move to the corporate HQ.

Advice to Management

Give more paid vacation -- its hard to plan all of my vacation around the holiday shut down.

BDC

Current Employee - BDC in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - BDC in Boston, MA

I have been working at Blue Book Network Contractors Register full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Working from Home. Setting own Calander

Cons

Working 65 to 70 hrs a week. Not enough money for what we are asked to do for it.

Advice to Management

Have less High paid Managers. Way too many managers

6. Nothing like disgruntled EX employees....

Current Employee - BDC
    Current Employee - BDC

Pros

Unparalleled Customer Service. Unparalleled back office support. Aggressive with technology. Super aggressive industry leader. The Blue Book Network is envied and unafraid to introduce new products. They don't always work, but they never totally fail. Truly the industry leader keeping up with our technical world.

Cons

Micromanaging when not necessary from the Area Manager level. Why have a Regional Manager that knows us guys (full of sarcasm if unsure)? If I were the RM I'd be PO'ed.

Advice to Management

Listen to the middle performers as well as the upper performing superstars. You're missing the majority of your Reps' value.

7. 15 years as account executive in Florida

Former Employee - Account Executive
    Former Employee - Account Executive

I worked at Blue Book Network Contractors Register full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great working with construction industry and helping them build their business over time.
    Great benefits

Cons

Constant pressure on a daily basis to grow territory.

8. One of the Last Great Companies in the US

I have been working at Blue Book Network Contractors Register (more than 10 years)

Pros

The Blue Book cares about their employees and consistently invests in them. The management team doesn't so much give direction.....they strive to make their people better. This creates many opportunities to advance your career. This is a company that transitioned from a directory publisher to a provider digital information and online workflow solutions. Management is always thinking ahead and developing new products to satisfy the needs of the construction industry. The Blue Book is poised for future growth. They also offer the best benefits and every employee is an owner of the company (ESOP). The really cool thing is, the Blue Book is loyal to their employees.....something many other companies have forgotten about

Cons

With any innovative, creative company that regularly launches new products, there are growing pains.....but growing pains are good. It's helps grow the business

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.

9. Family Oriented Company

I have been working at Blue Book Network Contractors Register

Pros

Good company to work for. They sincerely care about their employees. Half day Fridays in the summer and decent PTO. Great benefits.

Cons

No room for growth. Company operations are antiquated and inefficient. Many lazy employees at Headquarters. LOW salaries.

10. Great Company to work for!

Current Employee - Sales Account Manager in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Sales Account Manager in Tampa, FL

Pros

The 101 year old company has done a great job in transitioning from a book to online presence. Always coming out with tools for the entire industry. The company is run it like a family business with perks and benefits of a huge company. If you are not making money than the it is on you, it is your own franchise. can make 100 K with the company.

Cons

The company is not saturated with middle management so there is not a lot of different opportunities to move in.

Advice to Management

Keep looking for more opportunities, help sales out with collections, setting appointments, ect.

Making some positive changes to an already good company.

Current Employee - Business Development Consultant

I have been working at Blue Book Network Contractors Register full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible schedule and great compensation. Work out of home and manage our own territory. Have recently made some positive changes on how the company is run.

Cons

They launch products before they are ready resulting in bugs and disappointing results from our customers.

Advice to Management

Listen to sales team more.

Blue Book Network Contractors Register Photos