Blue Book Network Contractors Register

Blue Book Network Contractors Register Reviews

Updated October 2, 2014
Updated October 2, 2014

Rich Johnson

Pros
  • I enjoy working from home and have the ability to schedule some things that I would have a hard time doing in a 9-5 job (in 6 reviews)

• At the home office in customer service we also have many wonderful people that remain (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Distrust, micro-management, fear and intimidation are the components of the current culture (in 8 reviews)

• Current UPPER management should be analyzed on their credentials and what they really contribute to the company (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

What a joke.

Current Employee - Sales Account Manager
    Current Employee - Sales Account Manager

I have been working at Blue Book Network Contractors Register full-time (more than an year)

Pros

401k . 3 weeks off in dec.

Cons

Micro management to death. Having to lie to customers to make the sale. Having new customers hate you after they start using.

Listen to employee.

Interesting and challenging work opportunity in a company with a family atmosphere.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jefferson Valley, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jefferson Valley, NY

I worked at Blue Book Network Contractors Register as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

Forward looking company developing new products to serve the construction industry.

Cons

Campus of two unconnected buildings can be an issue in wintry weather.

The Blue Book was a great company in 1999 but became a micromanaged nightmare as the IT side took over the sales force.

Former Employee - Account Manager
    Former Employee - Account Manager

I worked at Blue Book Network Contractors Register full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

TBB had an excellent benefits package.

Cons

Sales side had to constantly report all activity to Big Brother -each year we reported more. A lot of the reports took time away from selling!

Be realistic in your goals and allow sales professionals to sell!

Excellent Company!!

Current Employee - Account Manager
    Current Employee - Account Manager

I have been working at Blue Book Network Contractors Register full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

As a past customer and current employee owner of almost 5 years, I see nothing but great things coming for anyone that is a customer or employee. This company truly cares about it's employees and customers, trying to make the product offerings and employee experience a better one.

Cons

None I can think of

Keep up the good work!

We're now an ESOP ! How cool is that??

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jefferson Valley, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jefferson Valley, NY

Pros

We are now Employee-Owned! Career advancement opportunities are frequent in many depts. at HQ. If you want to pursue an advanced degree, there's a tuition reimbursement program. Great benefits, including summer Friday's at HQ. Incredible 401-K with a 10% match ~ unheard of anywhere else I've worked. Lots of great people ~ and a family atmosphere. We've never had a layoff in 100 years ~ not many companies can say that.

Cons

HQ is not on a train line ~ we all have to drive, but for most of us, it's a really easy commute. There could be more PTO, but if you don't use sick time, additional PTO is the reward.

Hold Town Halls quarterly, if possible.

Good 401k, ESOP, nice people and work environment but low salaries!

Current Employee - MIS in Jefferson Valley, NY
    Current Employee - MIS in Jefferson Valley, NY

I have been working at Blue Book Network Contractors Register full-time

Pros

Good 401k, now is ESOP, good benefits, half day summer fridays, nice work environment and never had layoffs in 100 years of business.

Cons

Very low end salaries, You want to be on the lowest paid in your profession look no further!

Pay people decently and you might attract better workers and produce a higher level of service/products. Stop rolling out products that have never been tested properly. Having tons of products that perform poorly is not as good as one or two that work well and are polished. Sales micro management is not working.

My experience with our company is good and getting better. Not perfect but a good place to call "Home"

Current Employee - Sales Representative
    Current Employee - Sales Representative

I have been working at Blue Book Network Contractors Register full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

I love working with fellow co workers who really care about one another, our customers and building our company for another 100 years. Our sales group was asked, not coerced, not forced IF we wanted to we could share our feelings (anon) we could. It bothers me to have read from some past employees who said they "had to". How stupid.
    I was given a chance to work here over 10 years ago and have been treated with respect by 3 different managers. I had a few pretty bad years and was helped but was told I needed to improve
    because I was better than my numbers showed.
    I bought into this job and my last 3 SALES jobs because I love some freedom but know nothing is free and I'm fine with being responsible. I know my RM was stressed about his job even though he never said anything. He counted on me and our team and we wanted to do well for each other and him. I have a ton of friends in SALES and when I tell them who we are, how we are treated and our culture they get jealous. It is not for everybody, obviously.
    If you don't want to work super hard, be responsible for yourself, help others, do work that may not make quick money with doing some things but can build or learn new things then DO NOT work here. Simple as that. If you think you can make 70k - 100 k without working then leave so we can get people that see the real opportunity and aren't complacent whiners.
    I want to stay here and do well especially now as a real stake in ownership.
    Thank you for extra EB Bonus.....$10,000 wow!

Cons

More scheduled time for training. We get so busy running territories that our managers heads are spinning. We need to spend more time with reps in other areas to get ideas. We need more training material as resources. Listen more. Suggestion box is good idea but a joke because we never hear back a lot of times. I know we made and make changes from input but some recognition would be nice with kudos from home office. More people need to be able to go to Presidents club. Our RM is good and works a ton but if 3rd or 4th out of 30 they stay home-

I did above in comments. Be genuine. Tell us the truth. Doing better with product roll outs but be careful not to expect miracles over night. Don't lump us in with the minority that are clueless or looking for a handout or complain. It's a great but hard job. Understand that and keep working on letting us know whats going on and why we do things.

A Great Company That Cares About Their People

I have been working at Blue Book Network Contractors Register full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The Blue Book values their employees and they just don't say it.....they back it up with actions. Every employee owns a piece of the company and every employee has a 401-K plan that contributes $2 to every $1 the employee contributes. The Blue Book encourages creativity, ideas and allows every employee to be heard. Their policy of promoting from with-in allows for upward mobility and a long career. Employees who have been with the company for 20, 25 and 30 years is common. The company has a progressive attitude and is always working on new products to stay ahead of the curve and keep the company growing. The Blue Book is 100 years old and has NEVER had a lay-off because of hard times. Basically the Blue Book is old fashion in the sense that it fosters a culture of loyalty....much the way companies in the 50's 60's and 70's did. I've had the privilege of working with some of the best people I have ever met and I really feel lucky that I joined this company so many years ago

Cons

Because we put out superior products and treat our customers with loyalty and respect, our competition like to talk trash about us. They continually spread falsehoods about the company because they can't compete with their inferior products and poor customer service.

Continue to take the time to study the needs of the industry and create products that serve those needs.

Good company and benefits. But salaries are not very good

I have been working at Blue Book Network Contractors Register full-time

Pros

Very good benefits offered to employees, especially the 401K plan

Cons

Starting to turn into a corporate environment, used to be more family friendly

It would be nice to have higher salaries.

Big Time Burnout of reps...they work their reps to death and don't listen to ideas

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Austin, TX

I worked at Blue Book Network Contractors Register full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Money was great if you are willing to work 7 days a week

Cons

Horrible customer service reps who treat outside reps like they have no value.

Glad to hear you sold the company to the reps. They deserve ownership.

Blue Book Network Contractors Register Photos