Blue Book Network Contractors Register

Add Review

Blue Book Network Contractors Register Reviews

Updated April 13, 2015
67 reviews filtered by

Very disappointing experience thus far

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Blue Book Network Contractors Register full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I have met some great people- many of whom have been there for a long time. They have a descent benefit plan/ with much of December off, although very little vacation time outside of December. Great flexibility to work from home.

Cons

Shark like atmosphere, Non supportive management team, a penchant for always targeting and firing middle aged people, and very low salary. A pre-occupation with the ESOP which is meaningless to most poeple. No opportunity for advancement for most people, women in particular. The level of micromanaging is extraordinary.

Advice to Management

Stop spending money on nonsense and start supporting the sales team with actual lead generation outside of the network

What a joke.

Current Employee - Sales Account Manager
    Current Employee - Sales Account Manager

I have been working at Blue Book Network Contractors Register full-time (more than a year)

Pros

401k . 3 weeks off in dec.

Cons

Micro management to death. Having to lie to customers to make the sale. Having new customers hate you after they start using.

Advice to Management

Listen to employee.

3. Excellent Company!!

Current Employee - Account Manager
    Current Employee - Account Manager

Pros

As a past customer and current employee owner of almost 5 years, I see nothing but great things coming for anyone that is a customer or employee. This company truly cares about it's employees and customers, trying to make the product offerings and employee experience a better one.

Cons

None I can think of

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

The Blue Book was a great company in 1999 but became a micromanaged nightmare as the IT side took over the sales force.

Former Employee - Account Manager
    Former Employee - Account Manager

I worked at Blue Book Network Contractors Register full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

TBB had an excellent benefits package.

Cons

Sales side had to constantly report all activity to Big Brother -each year we reported more. A lot of the reports took time away from selling!

Advice to Management

Be realistic in your goals and allow sales professionals to sell!

6. My experience with our company is good and getting better. Not perfect but a good place to call "Home"

Current Employee - Sales Representative
    Current Employee - Sales Representative

I have been working at Blue Book Network Contractors Register full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

I love working with fellow co workers who really care about one another, our customers and building our company for another 100 years. Our sales group was asked, not coerced, not forced IF we wanted to we could share our feelings (anon) we could. It bothers me to have read from some past employees who said they "had to". How stupid.
    I was given a chance to work here over 10 years ago and have been treated with respect by 3 different managers. I had a few pretty bad years and was helped but was told I needed to improve
    because I was better than my numbers showed.
    I bought into this job and my last 3 SALES jobs because I love some freedom but know nothing is free and I'm fine with being responsible. I know my RM was stressed about his job even though he never said anything. He counted on me and our team and we wanted to do well for each other and him. I have a ton of friends in SALES and when I tell them who we are, how we are treated and our culture they get jealous. It is not for everybody, obviously.
    If you don't want to work super hard, be responsible for yourself, help others, do work that may not make quick money with doing some things but can build or learn new things then DO NOT work here. Simple as that. If you think you can make 70k - 100 k without working then leave so we can get people that see the real opportunity and aren't complacent whiners.
    I want to stay here and do well especially now as a real stake in ownership.
    Thank you for extra EB Bonus.....$10,000 wow!

Cons

More scheduled time for training. We get so busy running territories that our managers heads are spinning. We need to spend more time with reps in other areas to get ideas. We need more training material as resources. Listen more. Suggestion box is good idea but a joke because we never hear back a lot of times. I know we made and make changes from input but some recognition would be nice with kudos from home office. More people need to be able to go to Presidents club. Our RM is good and works a ton but if 3rd or 4th out of 30 they stay home-

Advice to Management

I did above in comments. Be genuine. Tell us the truth. Doing better with product roll outs but be careful not to expect miracles over night. Don't lump us in with the minority that are clueless or looking for a handout or complain. It's a great but hard job. Understand that and keep working on letting us know whats going on and why we do things.

Good 401k, ESOP, nice people and work environment but low salaries!

Current Employee - MIS in Jefferson Valley, NY
    Current Employee - MIS in Jefferson Valley, NY

I have been working at Blue Book Network Contractors Register full-time

Pros

Good 401k, now is ESOP, good benefits, half day summer fridays, nice work environment and never had layoffs in 100 years of business.

Cons

Very low end salaries, You want to be on the lowest paid in your profession look no further!

Advice to Management

Pay people decently and you might attract better workers and produce a higher level of service/products. Stop rolling out products that have never been tested properly. Having tons of products that perform poorly is not as good as one or two that work well and are polished. Sales micro management is not working.

8. A Great Company That Cares About Their People

I have been working at Blue Book Network Contractors Register full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The Blue Book values their employees and they just don't say it.....they back it up with actions. Every employee owns a piece of the company and every employee has a 401-K plan that contributes $2 to every $1 the employee contributes. The Blue Book encourages creativity, ideas and allows every employee to be heard. Their policy of promoting from with-in allows for upward mobility and a long career. Employees who have been with the company for 20, 25 and 30 years is common. The company has a progressive attitude and is always working on new products to stay ahead of the curve and keep the company growing. The Blue Book is 100 years old and has NEVER had a lay-off because of hard times. Basically the Blue Book is old fashion in the sense that it fosters a culture of loyalty....much the way companies in the 50's 60's and 70's did. I've had the privilege of working with some of the best people I have ever met and I really feel lucky that I joined this company so many years ago

Cons

Because we put out superior products and treat our customers with loyalty and respect, our competition like to talk trash about us. They continually spread falsehoods about the company because they can't compete with their inferior products and poor customer service.

Advice to Management

Continue to take the time to study the needs of the industry and create products that serve those needs.

9. Good company and benefits. But salaries are not very good

I have been working at Blue Book Network Contractors Register full-time

Pros

Very good benefits offered to employees, especially the 401K plan

Cons

Starting to turn into a corporate environment, used to be more family friendly

Advice to Management

It would be nice to have higher salaries.

10. I Love The Blue Book Building and Construction Network! Who Wouldn't?

I have been working at Blue Book Network Contractors Register

Pros

It's one of the only companies in America that has and continues to hire for top talent for positions during times of recession. The company always provides an opportunity for employees to attend educational or training seminars to help employees grow professionally. The company provides a tuition reimbursement program for employees to utilize to become more proficient and knowledgeable in their field. The President of the company has an "open door policy" in the sense that if you have something on your mind, his door is always open as well as his phone line. Senior Management is always friendly and approachable.
    Working at The Blue Book is a great experience. Everyone is friendly and gives you a sense of "family" oriented. It's not "cold" like a major corporation is; even the buildings at Head Quarters location carry a sense of welcome; there are always beautiful flowers at each entrance; maintained grounds and extremely clean working environments. Employees have the best interest for each other and continually help one another. Everyone provide ideas and feedback. It's a true pleasure to work at The Blue Book.

Cons

The cons of the Blue Book are ........well, can't seem to think of anything.

Advice to Management

Advice to Management - have round tables or employee/management forums on different topics of the business each quarter or semi-annually. Provide an environment for the forums where employees can feel comfortable that their feedback, ideas and suggestions are wanted, heard and appreciated.

Big Time Burnout of reps...they work their reps to death and don't listen to ideas

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Austin, TX

I worked at Blue Book Network Contractors Register full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Money was great if you are willing to work 7 days a week

Cons

Horrible customer service reps who treat outside reps like they have no value.

Advice to Management

Glad to hear you sold the company to the reps. They deserve ownership.

Blue Book Network Contractors Register Photos