Blue Book Network Contractors Register

Updated July 18, 2014
Updated July 18, 2014

3.2

Rich Johnson

Pros
  • At the home office in customer service we also have many wonderful people that remain (in 9 reviews)

• There is a great 401K match, decent yet crazy expensive benefits, and great people to work with (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Distrust, micro-management, fear and intimidation are the components of the current culture (in 8 reviews)

• Current UPPER management should be analyzed on their credentials and what they really contribute to the company (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

This Company Is Passionate about Purpose

Current Employee - Account Manager  in  Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Atlanta, GA

Pros

The Blue Book is a great place to work for many reasons. One that stands out is that it is a sound company with a solid foundation. Much like the anatomy of a building's construction, this solid foundation has stood the test of time. 100 years later and still standing!! This strength helps me in knowing that I am working for a company that is secure in all aspects of execution such as being financially sound, having a proven record in diversifying and adapting to new challenges, a strong internal and external support team, and a laundry list of so many different ways to be rewarded monetarily.

Each level of leadership has a keen sense of what is needed and what it takes to press on, motivate their segment, or simply stay focused on the tasks at hand. The fact that this leadership is open to creative ideas and objective reasoning only strengthens my position.

Another reason is that this company is passionate about purpose. Working for a company that has a clearly defined purpose and the ability to carry it out has enabled me to transfer that purpose to my clients. I have witnessed their hardships and triumps, successes and defeats. Through it all, I have felt that The Blue Book and its People overwhelmingly supports and understands that our customers are owed (for their investment) the resources and abilities to overcome whatever the industry or market influence throws at it over the course of time. This feeling of purpose inspires me to listen, learn, teach, inspire and build their business for them as the Blue Book has built mine for me.

There are many other reasons why I like working for The Blue Book. They would include Confidence, Security, Accountability, Self Reliance, Personal Growth, Community Service, Positive Impacts on Economic Growth (for me, my customers and the region)... or how about the fact that I have been given the opportunity to create and maintain a marketplace for buyers and sellers to communicate, conduct business and establish vital business relationships? Pretty impressive company if you ask me!

Cons

Maybe more vacation time, but 4 weeks is decent enough!

Thanks for the support!!

What a great company to work for and it just got better.

Current Employee - Account Manager  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Account Manager in New York, NY

Pros

I have fifteen plus years with The Blue Book. Joining Blue Book was the best career decision I have ever made. Not only is the Blue Book 100 year old, it is more relevent than ever before to the commercial construction industry . Yes, the great recession took its toll on us but there were no lay offs and the company continued to invest in new products. The best event in my thirty plus year career is that the Blue Book is now an employee owned company aka ESOP. This will provide all the employees with a secure job environment (if you work hard and are sucessful) because the company can't be sold without the employees agreeing to it. Further, all future increases in the value of the company will go to the employees when they retire. As an employee/owner, I only want motivated, hard working, results-oriented candidates to apply for jobs at the Blue Book.

Cons

Vacation could be improved upon but all other benefits are fantastic.

Get feedback from Sales Management.

I'm in my thirty's and I plan to retire with this company, owning a piece of the action along the way!

Current Employee - Account Manager  in  Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Orlando, FL

Pros

Income potential is very good, some in your control, some not.. Yes, not everyone will make six figures but I doubled that one year and even during my worst year stayed pretty close to six figures. Not everyone will make that kind of money as it will depend on your territory and how you work what you are given. If you are a salary riding person and not a go getter, this job will not make you six figures( and you probably would not make it past interview two-lol). But with a base salary more than most of the teachers I know in Florida and most typical 9-5 corporate employees, it is above average but also depends on the territory you are managing. The salary is not what get's me to six figures. It is the commission and many, many bonuses offered along the way. Monthly, quarterly and year end bonuses that are more than most sales organization offer. Now that we are ESOP-Employee stock ownership plan. I can see myself working until my retirement age, God willing. This is now a built in pension that I can control as part owner of this company based on my W-2. There are not many companies that offer that in a sales environment. It is a great feeling to say the least.

There is no real competition to The Blue Book Network in the industry. We offer exposure and opportunity to our Network Customers they cannot get anywhere else. We offer Targeted Loyal Network of users, strong distribution of printed books, very strong targeted online presence and usage (We are the Google for Commercial Construction) We have the Largest most active number of Private users using our BB-Bid & SyncWare tools to help communicate Project information and plans specifically to who is needed. We do not sell leads, we build you a Network of the right people at the right time. Most of my customers get real consistent phone calls for work and emails everyday looking for exactly what they do. We help build them a Network of new people outside of their existing Network so they can grow their business at the pace they are most comfortable. We open the door the rest is up to them. But hands down NO ONE does all that we do for our Customers, period.

Amazing benefits package. I have had 3 Children and have paid no more than $70 from start to finish for each delivery. Our Medical Insurance is that good. And to get paid for 8 weeks like I was working in the field at 100% of my income during my short term disability for maternity leave. The 401K is also great, the Company Matches up to 10K. I put in 10K they put in 10K. That is awesome!!! Nice nest egg I am building for my future.

Great support from Customer Service. I turn in the simple paperwork and my orders get processed and Customer Service handles any problems as they arise. Without this kind of support this job would be much more time consuming. Our back office and our BB-Bid helps me manage my customers and prospects along with my online users and help me stay in follows-up mode to ensure retention and customer satisfaction. There is so much support in every aspect of this job. We are all on the same team working together.

It seems that some people in other book areas may feel micro managed at times, I have never really felt that way in ten years doing this job. I guess I always do more than what is expected of me so I do not need to be micro managed. I have a passion for helping people and I really enjoy my job and growing MY business. I really feel like I am running my own business and if I just do the little things each and every day consistently over a long period of time, everything just all comes together in the end it is just all works out. I max out my bonus levels each month and each quarter( a majority of the time) and I get a year end bonus and hopefully make it back to Presidents Club. An even through the downturn in the economy and the construction industry the past few year, we never laid off one person from our company.

Cons

There is A LOT that is asked of us to do on a daily basis. Our title is Account Manager but only a portion of the time is actually spend managing existing account to ensure a high retention rate. Ten years ago I had more time to Manage Accounts and sell new business. I was not required to do more than just that. Now I have to go see my GC's, Property Managers, Facility Mangers, etc. I do have the ability to increase my income by over 15K to build this Network of users but it is very time consuming.( I wish this was not capped out because I feel I should earn more for the huge Network of users I have developed over the years, years when it was not tied to extra earnings) This year we do have help to take some of the burden off us in the field. We have Specialist up in NY to help each region. So we open the door since we are out in the field, they will take over from they to ensure usage. I am excited to see how this will pan out, so far so good!!!

We also do Lunch & Learns with Architects, purely to increase knowledge and usage of our new free products and online tools. Again, we do get paid to grow this as well and this is not capped so their is benefits on both sides to build these relationships. This job easily could be two separate outside sales jobs, one to sell adverting and manage account and one to create usage and train people on our fabulous free tools that streamline everyone's work-flow and productivity. I work way more hours then I ever thought this job would require. There are long hours out in the field, going to Networking events, and prep work needed to be done for the up coming days in the field. Also, online research and keeping up with whats going on in the industry can keep you working very long hours.

We often launch products a little prematurely before all the bugs/glitches are worked out.( or knowledge on how to sell or material to make the sales presentation) We do not get too much direction on how to "specifically" sell the new tools. They change a lot of things without always asking for our feedback in the field before it is set in stone. If they would actually ask us for feedback prior to making permanent changes, tweaks or launching new tools it would be better for moral and the products would more complete and may not need to be tweaked after launched. We are the true boots on the ground, we have to sell it, we should be involved more in creating it and marketing it.

Keep up the great work in trying to be everything to everyone in the construction industry. Keep up the research and development that make us the industry leader that we are and will always remain 100+ year strong. Keep coming up with new products and tools to enhance our users experiences and retain our huge customer base. BUT PLEASE..... get the sales people more involved during the beginning, middle and end stages of these new products, tools, enhancements and advancements. Let us help ensure that once launched it does not need to be tweaked. Let us help design our GC Lunch & Learn presentation since we have been doing them for years now. Let us get you some feedback on what really needs to be tweaked inside BB-Bid before you launch the new BB-Bid. Ask us how a new commission structure should be set up for our GC users based on our hard work in the field.

Try to make changes quicker on things that are obviously going to help everyone if it were changed. It should not take years to create online tweaks that wold enhance workflow and productivity now. If we were more involved in these decisions as they were going on we would be that much more ahead of the game. Were the ones out in the field so talk to us, not our managers, not our area managers, us. If you start to to this you will see how valuable we can be to you then just a sales force. Keep up and increase the two way communication and the adding of more people to our staff inside and outside.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Amazing Amount of Support for Sales from Management !

Current Employee - Account Manager  in  Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Portland, OR

Pros

I have worked for The Blue Book for a little over a year now and without a doubt it is the best company I have ever worked for. In fact, I think you would be hard pressed to find anyone in the company who felt differently.

The Blue Book is an industry leader who continually strives to come up with better and more innovative products to help their customers and the industry as a whole. The amount of effort and money put into creating the best products on the market is unrivaled which is proven by the amount of loyal customers who rely on The Blue Book to conduct business.

Although the products are top notch, it is not why I love working for The Blue Book. Throughout my time with the company, I have felt an amazing amount of support from local management in the Pacific Northwest all the way up to the corporate headquarters in Jefferson Valley, NY. No matter what level you are dealing with, you can tell everyone loves their job and truly wants what is best for their employees and our customers.

I am proud to work for The Blue Book and would truly recommend the company to anyone who is trying to work for or with The Blue Book.

Cons

In sales, we get 4 weeks' vacation ~ 3 are in December. It would be even better if some of that time could be spread out. Other than that, no complaints !

Thanks for all the support!!

Last one to leave, turn off the lights.

Pros

There is a great 401K match, decent yet crazy expensive benefits, and great people to work with.

Cons

Micro management runs rampant as does the culture of passing the buck- you can point out areas of opportunity at every turn and yet nothing will ever be done about it, it's always business as usual. The salary is paltry and not enough to live on which is why you see either very young people who took one of the few jobs offered to them in the toughest economy since the 20's or you see older folks who have a pension to live off of and are doing this to make extra money or to keep themselves busy. You'll find this place will never be a career, it's a stepping stone to bigger and better or it's a second "job", which is a shame because this could be a great place to spend many years at if only you were paid enough to eat. And it's not like the company is bleeding money at all, they're constantly sending people here, offering competitions there, buying useless new equipment for departments. If only they invested that money in their people and trusted those people to drive the company forward they wouldn't have all of the open positions that they do.

Knock off the kitschy business of promoting us as an "open door, everyone is valued" company and start getting your hands dirty. Spend the money to fix the products so they do exactly what they say they will every single time you use them, pay your employees enough to live and not just scrape by or have to work multiple jobs, and train your staff the way they should be trained. You have a great concept that's being poorly executed in recent years, and it shows. Stop accepting mediocre and hold the decisions you make to the same standards you want to hold your employees to.

There's a reason all of these sales positions are open... it's not expansion it's dis-satisfaction

Current Employee - Account Manager

Pros

Great 401k. Former owner cared about people. The majority of the people who work there are saddened to see the culture of this, once great place to work, deteriorate so quickly and will honestly admit it out of earshot of current management.

Cons

AMAZING! I am seeing this sudden influx, (look at the dates), of great reviews which coincides with upper management becoming aware of this website and mandating that sales people write reviews stating what they like about their job, (forget painting the entire picture, let's just talk about the perceived good stuff...) Coincidence? I think not. Just an example of the lack of integrity prevailant in the current management culture.

Long term, highly successful sales professionals are exiting so fast they had to triple the recruitment bonus! Why are they leaving? Because of inadequate compensation and the fact that the culture of this company has turned 180 degrees in the past couple of years. Distrust, micro-management, fear and intimidation are the components of the current culture.

You will be frustrated by the lack of communication, product rollouts without proper testing and antiquated operations methods. A tremendous amount of non-selling activity is required and there is absolutely NO ACCOUNTABILITY FROM UPPER MANAGEMENT OR THE OPERATIONS SIDE while sales has quickly become the red headed step child that has been put under the microscope.

Other frustrations include an inaccurate data base, a huge amount of salesperson incurred expenses that seem to increase each year as you are supplied with less and less from corporate (you provide the computer, internet, cell phone, vehicle, most gas & maintenance, and all printing) and are meagerly compensated for these expenses. In addition to this, you will experience a healthy percentage of product failure in the field for no apparent reason and will not receive any credible explanations.

Vacation time is eroding and being replaced with mandated poorly performed training. I swear, if our presentations and demonstrations were as poortly planned and executed as the ones we have had to suffer through the past couple of years we deserved to be fired!

While your vision is appreciated, the ability to communicate and implement is sorely lacking.

LISTEN to the people you have entrusted to represent this company to the industry, THE SALES FORCE. Perhaps you have become too insulated by people who are afraid to tell you about the real problems that the field is experiencing because it will reflect poorly on certain operational departments.

Be ready to challenge each other - talk about REAL PROBLEMS that are impacting this comany's success like product failures in the field and with the internal sos and bb-bid systems. Figure out what the solutions are. (Hint - counting hashmarks on itinerarys aint fixin nothin)

Leading by being great at certain things is not enough. MOTIVATION & INSPIRATION ARE SECOND NATURE TO MOST GREAT LEADERS. Honesty and integrity can go a long way. Get some real help learning how to manage sales people. Take some AMA courses and learn about different personality types... an artist cannot be graded scientifically anymore than a square peg can be forced into a round hole.

True sales professionals are insulted by micro-management because it reflects distrust. They do not appreciate being forced to do non-selling activities. Let them do what they do best, sell, not DATA ENTRY. Most want to be graded and compensated based on results not activity. It seems to me the company was much more successful when sales was managed that way a few years ago.

Do not believe the positive reviews! Sales force was bullied into writing them!

Former Employee - Sales Account Manager
    Former Employee - Sales Account Manager

Pros

The 401K was good, medical went downhill starting in 2013, but still is decent. There is not enough money to overcome the negatives.

Cons

ALL THE NEGATIVE REVIEWS ARE CORRECT. End of January the VP found out about Glassdoor; he had the Managers bully the employees into writing reviews about how great it was to work for The Blue Book. Do we dare tell the truth??? NO, we still needed our jobs until we got out. In an email dated January 31, 2013 the President attached a letter stating that if we get a new hire to sign on and stay 6 months, we will get a $6,000 referral bonus! There is the motive to refer new prospective hires! Who does that? Desperate companies that treat people like dirt and need new bodies. Everyone who has not left is looking for a place to go. They just can not tell you. Your'e happiest day will be the day you leave, I know mine was! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.

Stop the false advertising about how great you are. All the positive reviews you put on here starting the end of January just show how manipulative you are. The business is going down, competition is everywhere doing a better job. You have lost all your best people; so learn from that and get back to basics; but you will never listen.

Proceed at your own risk

Current Employee - Account Manager

Pros

Great 401k, 100 year old brand name.

Cons

First of all I hate to say it but to agree with all my colleagues who posted reviews prior to February 7, 2013 most of them hit the nail right on the head. The only reason I state before Feb 7 is that at the end of January all the AE's where asked by the company to write mandatory "Brag" testimonials about how great the company is, we were told to keep it positive and the testimonials will be used to help recruit account managers, failure to comply was not acceptable. I suspect all the reviews dated Feb 7, and 8, were posted by management from our "Brag" testimoniels. What are the odds that all of a sudden in a two day span ten great reviews would be posted. This is a dispicable effort by The Blue Book to control the ratings on Glassdoor.com talk about micro management. Sadly this is a company that has seen its heyday and because of bad management will not recover from this death spiral. Ask yourself would you want to work for a company that wants to control every minute aspect of your work day, shrinks your vacation time over a 15 year period, forces you to lie on your intinerary by making you fill in fake appointments for the entire first quarter, and demands that you write an embelished brag letter about how wonderful they are. If nutty, ridiculous, juvenille, absurd, ludicrous, dishonest, controlling come to your mind then welcome to The Blue Book.

We sell advertising stop getting in our way we are the lifeblood of this company and keep you employed, our income is commission based, we need more time in front of our customers and less time in front of you.

Current Sales Representative

Current Employee - CIP (Construction Industry Professional)  in  Parsippany, NJ
    Current Employee - CIP (Construction Industry Professional) in Parsippany, NJ

Pros

Terrific benefits, 401k 2 to 1 match!, Customer Service and MIS depts.

Cons

Micro management of Sales force. Too many products that don't get to the core issue's that the customer base has expressed a need for... ACCURATE INFORMATION!!!!. Many bells and whistles are added to our inferior products to further confuse and drive away usership/ownership and ultimately DOLLARS!!!

HOLD YOURSELVES ACCOUNTABLE to the degree you hold us sales people too!!!! You ALL would be on your final PIP! ( performance improvement plan)

Awesome company!

Current Employee - Account Manager  in  Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Tampa, FL

Pros

Best in the business and company treats you great!

Cons

long interviiew process, but worth it!

keep it up!

Worked for Blue Book Network Contractors Register? Contribute to the Community!