Blue Book Network Contractors Register

Updated December 15, 2014
Updated December 15, 2014
2.7

Rich Johnson

Pros
  • Good benefits,401k, work from home, customer service and call center excellent (in 8 reviews)

• Customer service is fantastic, even with all the added responsibilities they have (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Micro management to the nth degree so if you are considering this company do not believe them when they tell you they do not micro-manage (in 11 reviews)

• The upper management is closed minded and does not want to hear what the salesforce has to say (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

We're now an ESOP ! How cool is that??

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jefferson Valley, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jefferson Valley, NY

I have been working at Blue Book Network Contractors Register full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

We are now Employee-Owned! Career advancement opportunities are frequent in many depts. at HQ. If you want to pursue an advanced degree, there's a tuition reimbursement program. Great benefits, including summer Friday's at HQ. Incredible 401-K with a 10% match ~ unheard of anywhere else I've worked. Lots of great people ~ and a family atmosphere. We've never had a layoff in 100 years ~ not many companies can say that.

Cons

HQ is not on a train line ~ we all have to drive, but for most of us, it's a really easy commute. There could be more PTO, but if you don't use sick time, additional PTO is the reward.

Hold Town Halls quarterly, if possible.

My experience with our company is good and getting better. Not perfect but a good place to call "Home"

Current Employee - Sales Representative
    Current Employee - Sales Representative

I have been working at Blue Book Network Contractors Register full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

I love working with fellow co workers who really care about one another, our customers and building our company for another 100 years. Our sales group was asked, not coerced, not forced IF we wanted to we could share our feelings (anon) we could. It bothers me to have read from some past employees who said they "had to". How stupid.
    I was given a chance to work here over 10 years ago and have been treated with respect by 3 different managers. I had a few pretty bad years and was helped but was told I needed to improve
    because I was better than my numbers showed.
    I bought into this job and my last 3 SALES jobs because I love some freedom but know nothing is free and I'm fine with being responsible. I know my RM was stressed about his job even though he never said anything. He counted on me and our team and we wanted to do well for each other and him. I have a ton of friends in SALES and when I tell them who we are, how we are treated and our culture they get jealous. It is not for everybody, obviously.
    If you don't want to work super hard, be responsible for yourself, help others, do work that may not make quick money with doing some things but can build or learn new things then DO NOT work here. Simple as that. If you think you can make 70k - 100 k without working then leave so we can get people that see the real opportunity and aren't complacent whiners.
    I want to stay here and do well especially now as a real stake in ownership.
    Thank you for extra EB Bonus.....$10,000 wow!

Cons

More scheduled time for training. We get so busy running territories that our managers heads are spinning. We need to spend more time with reps in other areas to get ideas. We need more training material as resources. Listen more. Suggestion box is good idea but a joke because we never hear back a lot of times. I know we made and make changes from input but some recognition would be nice with kudos from home office. More people need to be able to go to Presidents club. Our RM is good and works a ton but if 3rd or 4th out of 30 they stay home-

I did above in comments. Be genuine. Tell us the truth. Doing better with product roll outs but be careful not to expect miracles over night. Don't lump us in with the minority that are clueless or looking for a handout or complain. It's a great but hard job. Understand that and keep working on letting us know whats going on and why we do things.

Good 401k, ESOP, nice people and work environment but low salaries!

Current Employee - MIS in Jefferson Valley, NY
    Current Employee - MIS in Jefferson Valley, NY

I have been working at Blue Book Network Contractors Register full-time

Pros

Good 401k, now is ESOP, good benefits, half day summer fridays, nice work environment and never had layoffs in 100 years of business.

Cons

Very low end salaries, You want to be on the lowest paid in your profession look no further!

Pay people decently and you might attract better workers and produce a higher level of service/products. Stop rolling out products that have never been tested properly. Having tons of products that perform poorly is not as good as one or two that work well and are polished. Sales micro management is not working.

A Great Company That Cares About Their People

I have been working at Blue Book Network Contractors Register full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The Blue Book values their employees and they just don't say it.....they back it up with actions. Every employee owns a piece of the company and every employee has a 401-K plan that contributes $2 to every $1 the employee contributes. The Blue Book encourages creativity, ideas and allows every employee to be heard. Their policy of promoting from with-in allows for upward mobility and a long career. Employees who have been with the company for 20, 25 and 30 years is common. The company has a progressive attitude and is always working on new products to stay ahead of the curve and keep the company growing. The Blue Book is 100 years old and has NEVER had a lay-off because of hard times. Basically the Blue Book is old fashion in the sense that it fosters a culture of loyalty....much the way companies in the 50's 60's and 70's did. I've had the privilege of working with some of the best people I have ever met and I really feel lucky that I joined this company so many years ago

Cons

Because we put out superior products and treat our customers with loyalty and respect, our competition like to talk trash about us. They continually spread falsehoods about the company because they can't compete with their inferior products and poor customer service.

Continue to take the time to study the needs of the industry and create products that serve those needs.

Good company and benefits. But salaries are not very good

I have been working at Blue Book Network Contractors Register full-time

Pros

Very good benefits offered to employees, especially the 401K plan

Cons

Starting to turn into a corporate environment, used to be more family friendly

It would be nice to have higher salaries.

Big Time Burnout of reps...they work their reps to death and don't listen to ideas

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Austin, TX

I worked at Blue Book Network Contractors Register full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Money was great if you are willing to work 7 days a week

Cons

Horrible customer service reps who treat outside reps like they have no value.

Glad to hear you sold the company to the reps. They deserve ownership.

A 25 Year experience I wouldn't trade for a winning lotto ticket!

Current Employee - Part Owner in Jefferson Valley, NY
    Current Employee - Part Owner in Jefferson Valley, NY

Pros

For 25 years I have worked with some of the most incredibly smart, loyal, funny, ethical and dedicated people. Having spent on average at least 10 hours per day each week for most of my 25 year career - I can honestly say I feel like I am part of something special and don't regret any minute of my efforts. It isn't the title or the money - for me it is the relationships within the company and the incredible services we provide the industry. Imagine looking back and knowing we helped improve the workflow of a trillion dollar industry! That is something to be proud of. And in our 100 year history we have never had a layoff! That includes the great depression and more recently the recession. How many construction related businesses solely supported by advertising revenue can say that in 2013! I believe this can only happen if you provide a real value to your customers and users. I am proud to say I earned my "stripes" at The Blue Book! And I am even more proud now that the company has transitioned to Employee Owned - I am an Owner!

Cons

As a 25 year veteran I wish I had more than 3 weeks vacation. But the fact that I receive additional PTO days for not utilizing any sick time in the past 3 years satisfies my need to be with my family.

Don't stop believing that you can make a difference in our customer's and user's business. I understand not every new product will be as successful as BB-Bid, Syncware, Vu360, The "Players List", Project Source Direct, Data Select - and my favorite - The Network Showcase! But there is no reason to stop trying - that is why our customers believe in us and stay with us. Some for over 55 years! Continue to push this organization and the industry forward.

I Love The Blue Book Building and Construction Network! Who Wouldn't?

I have been working at Blue Book Network Contractors Register

Pros

It's one of the only companies in America that has and continues to hire for top talent for positions during times of recession. The company always provides an opportunity for employees to attend educational or training seminars to help employees grow professionally. The company provides a tuition reimbursement program for employees to utilize to become more proficient and knowledgeable in their field. The President of the company has an "open door policy" in the sense that if you have something on your mind, his door is always open as well as his phone line. Senior Management is always friendly and approachable.
    Working at The Blue Book is a great experience. Everyone is friendly and gives you a sense of "family" oriented. It's not "cold" like a major corporation is; even the buildings at Head Quarters location carry a sense of welcome; there are always beautiful flowers at each entrance; maintained grounds and extremely clean working environments. Employees have the best interest for each other and continually help one another. Everyone provide ideas and feedback. It's a true pleasure to work at The Blue Book.

Cons

The cons of the Blue Book are ........well, can't seem to think of anything.

Advice to Management - have round tables or employee/management forums on different topics of the business each quarter or semi-annually. Provide an environment for the forums where employees can feel comfortable that their feedback, ideas and suggestions are wanted, heard and appreciated.

This Company Is Passionate about Purpose

Current Employee - Account Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Atlanta, GA

Pros

The Blue Book is a great place to work for many reasons. One that stands out is that it is a sound company with a solid foundation. Much like the anatomy of a building's construction, this solid foundation has stood the test of time. 100 years later and still standing!! This strength helps me in knowing that I am working for a company that is secure in all aspects of execution such as being financially sound, having a proven record in diversifying and adapting to new challenges, a strong internal and external support team, and a laundry list of so many different ways to be rewarded monetarily.

Each level of leadership has a keen sense of what is needed and what it takes to press on, motivate their segment, or simply stay focused on the tasks at hand. The fact that this leadership is open to creative ideas and objective reasoning only strengthens my position.

Another reason is that this company is passionate about purpose. Working for a company that has a clearly defined purpose and the ability to carry it out has enabled me to transfer that purpose to my clients. I have witnessed their hardships and triumps, successes and defeats. Through it all, I have felt that The Blue Book and its People overwhelmingly supports and understands that our customers are owed (for their investment) the resources and abilities to overcome whatever the industry or market influence throws at it over the course of time. This feeling of purpose inspires me to listen, learn, teach, inspire and build their business for them as the Blue Book has built mine for me.

There are many other reasons why I like working for The Blue Book. They would include Confidence, Security, Accountability, Self Reliance, Personal Growth, Community Service, Positive Impacts on Economic Growth (for me, my customers and the region)... or how about the fact that I have been given the opportunity to create and maintain a marketplace for buyers and sellers to communicate, conduct business and establish vital business relationships? Pretty impressive company if you ask me!

Cons

Maybe more vacation time, but 4 weeks is decent enough!

Thanks for the support!!

What a great company to work for and it just got better.

Current Employee - Account Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Account Manager in New York, NY

Pros

I have fifteen plus years with The Blue Book. Joining Blue Book was the best career decision I have ever made. Not only is the Blue Book 100 year old, it is more relevent than ever before to the commercial construction industry . Yes, the great recession took its toll on us but there were no lay offs and the company continued to invest in new products. The best event in my thirty plus year career is that the Blue Book is now an employee owned company aka ESOP. This will provide all the employees with a secure job environment (if you work hard and are sucessful) because the company can't be sold without the employees agreeing to it. Further, all future increases in the value of the company will go to the employees when they retire. As an employee/owner, I only want motivated, hard working, results-oriented candidates to apply for jobs at the Blue Book.

Cons

Vacation could be improved upon but all other benefits are fantastic.

Get feedback from Sales Management.

Blue Book Network Contractors Register Photos