Blue Buffalo

Bill Bishop

Regional Manager

Former Employee - Regional Manager
    Former Employee - Regional Manager

Pros

Great boss and team; company culture offered work-life balance; benefits and perks

Cons

travelling to a location on the weekend to find you had no one there; giving up weekends; at times can feel like there is a level of distrust of the RMs

Stay away from the smoke and mirrors of this company

Pros

Brine your dog to work
    Dog food allowance

Cons

They expect you to work 40+ hours a week which is fine, but they are understaffed. There is a huge silo affect. Although they say they "want to help" getting the data from someone is impossible. Their systems glitch all the time. Expect to be treated like your in the military I had gotten screamed at over the phone when I was still new. I was treated very differently than my peers because of my age and gender, and when I went to HR I was let go. They are lucky they don't have a case for sexual harassment against them. I have heard the same problems in the small phoenix office as well.

Management actually needs to be in their teams lives interacting and collaborating. If managers were also involved the team would respect more and the managers could see problems within the team structure

Really Mean Regional Demo Manager and company does not care

Former Employee - Pet Detective

Pros

The only good thing about this job, is that you will get paid each week.

Cons

Out of the Blue, Regional Manager called me, made accusations that made no sense and called me horrible names. At first, I thought she called me by mistake and she thought she was talking with a personal contact. I kept asking her what was going on and she just kept repeating herself, getting louder and louder! I have never had an experience like this in my personal or my professional life. I have worked for Blue for almost 7 years and things were okay until this manager came a few years ago. I had the feeling for awhile that she was trying to get me to quit, but it did not make sense. I think in all my time there I missed maybe 3 shifts and was never late. She never compliments anyone....when she visits you at the store it is like she is trying really hard to find something to correct you on. No positive feedback ever. So I am out of a job because my manager went over the edge????

I know the upper management has heard all this before. They choose not to do anything about it.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Best part time job I have ever had

Current Employee - Pet Detective

Pros

Enjoy talking with pet owners, company is straight-forward in expectations and communication. Immediate supervisor is intelligent, thoughtful, helpful - a real change from the norm in retail work. Most weekends I learn something new about pets, which keeps it interesting.

Cons

Working every weekend hours is expected, same hours, same stores so it can be boring if stores are not busy. Dealing with the public is always an unknown - approaching unknown people is sometimes a negative experience, but mostly good.

Keep up letting the little people know they are appreciated.
    Consider variable hours to meet the busiest retail times to eliminate slack time.

Bad, Dishonest Management

Current Employee - Pet Detective  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Pet Detective in Washington, DC

Pros

Steady weekend only employment, being able to share a common bond with other pet parents
    Pet food rebates

Cons

Reginal Managers always changing
    Being told NOT to contact corporate under any circumstance
    Money - new people making more than people who have been with Blue for multiple years
    No raises and being told that length of service does not constitute a reason for getting an increase
    Expected to work EVERY Saturday and EVERY Sunday

Learn to treat all employees the same and don't talk down to your employees. Everyone deserves to be treated with respect.

i thought it was okay until they let me go and didnt say why

Former Employee - Pet Detective

Pros

i liked seeing other cat and dog lovers and free product. and even though they didnt tell me why they let me go i do believe it is a good product

Cons

i see from other reviews i was getting low pay and i never got a raise. they let me go and didnt tell why and i had been there over 2 yrs. they dint give me a chance to defend myself.

let people know why they are being let go, i dont want to make the same mistake on another job

Pet Detective

Former Employee - Pet Detective  in  Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Pet Detective in Seattle, WA

Pros

Part time job that pays above minimum wage.

Cons

Lack of transparency in the company. Getting past the RDM is pretty much impossible. Having the RDM follow you around, taking notes and trying to listen in on your conversations is disconcerting to customers. They either are taken aback from the weird presence of someone eaves dropping or they feel double team with 2 people on them. Everything it too scripted. Advancement is non existent as are trying to figure out when you will possible ever receive a raise...even if you elite. Time off is difficult and if you take too many days you will be let go because your contract of hire is for weekends.

Realize not all of your hires are 100% part time. Some have 2nd jobs, so be a little more flexible with requested days off throughout the year. If the stores are top tier in sales...give those PDs a break they clearly know how to sell that clientele. Coaching for growth is good, but honestly, focus on lower performing stores. Be more transparent with incentives. They are not incentives if you have no way to reach them or have no idea what must be accomplished to reach them.

Good part-time work

Pros

You work independently. I enjoyed talking with pet parents about nutrition and hearing stories about their animals. You can speak to the dog training students about your products if the trainer invites you. It's nice to be up and about, not sitting behind a desk all day. Shifts are four hours. I worked here when I was in between jobs. You get great coupons for pet food with your paycheck.

Cons

When it's raise time after 90 days, don't be shy, you won't get it unless you ask, and it's not retroactive. There are only weekend shifts.

I really don't have any. The job was pretty much as described and it was a good experience.

Pet Detective

Current Employee - Pet Detective  in  Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Pet Detective in Cincinnati, OH

Pros

Working for a company that really cares about pets and people and respects and understands the relationship between pets and their humans is awesome! I enjoy connecting with pet parents and share common experiences and open doors to enlighten them to ways to improve the health and well-being of their pets.
    I get support from my manager to be the best I can be through coaching. I love it! Having the opportunity to build relationships with store staff and mostly customers is very satisfying.
    The benefits and pay for what I do is fair when you look at other part-time positions.

Cons

Since we work independently not having other co-workers to bounce ideas off of can sometimes be challenging, but my manager is always available to me.

Keep doing what you're doing. We are a different kind of company and our way of doing things gets results; however it is not for everyone. You have to have the passion and believe in what we do.

Rude Nasty Regional Mgr only surpassed by her boss. He is also rude and nasty and threatening.

Current Employee - Pet Detective

Pros

The only reason to work for Blue Buffalo is if you need the money.

Cons

Never any positive feedback...only negative comments. Some of the things said to employees are not true but you have to stand there and accept it or you are threatened with your job. A first I thought it was just me, but have had time to reach out to other "Pet Detectives" (yes, silly) and find they all feel the same way. Most only stay until they find another job. Store management and employees feel sorry for us because of the treatment they see. Managers sneaking into the store and writing down what they see and hear during your contact with the customers (Pet Parents) then pick at you for every word and every move you made. Not one mention of anything good. When they leave, you are demoralized! Lots of time spent reading and responding to emails during the week, filling out forms, faxing, entering data on line....not paid for. They recently came up with $1 /week to reimburse, that is a joke. Usually when you finish work at a job, full or part time, you are finished! Employees start out happy and eager...then are stomped emotionally until they just give up or if lucky, find another job.

It is obvious that the entire company has the same thought process....all negative!

Worked for Blue Buffalo? Contribute to the Community!