Blue Canopy

Bradley J. Schwartz

5 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great Cyber-Security Focused Company

Associate (Current Employee) Reston, VA

ProsI've had a great experience working as a Sr. Consultant for Blue Canopy in the past. So much so that I'll be returning to the company in the next few weeks as an Associate. The environment at Blue Canopy is much different than you would find at an engineering juggernaut like Lockheed Martin or Boeing. It is much more dynamic and faster-paced, due to the nature of the work. However, I have found the work much more engaging here than anywhere else, which is why I've decided to return. I've worked 8+ years at engineering corporations across the nation and have found the pigeon-holed corporate culture stagnant and difficult to grow in. On the other hand, Blue Canopy presents individuals great opportunities to interface with customers and get their hands dirty right from the start. If you're someone who enjoys pursuing technical challenges with great rewards and proper recognition, definitely check out this company.

Just a note- this company has been winning a lot of contracts recently and has nearly tripled in size since 2010. Expect only more opportunities to come out of this.

ConsThe $3,000 training budget leaves much to be desired. 3k only covers 1 or 2 certifications, unless you plan to self study everything. This was probably my major disappointment with the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement had been great so no real complaints. The only thing I'd suggest is increasing the training budget. $3,000 may potentially turn potential employees away from this great company.

Uncertain Leadership and Lack of Employee Engagement.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Arlington, VA

ProsOccasionally wins contracts with large numbers of positions. Benefits are fairly good.

ConsNo training opportunities for employees working on site. Limited career mentoring.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to the rank and file and not just those working in upper management. Tell the truth about position locations, training options, growth opportunities before hiring a new employee.

Horrible Place to Work

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Reston, VA

ProsLower level employees work very hard.

ConsOwners are the worst executives EVER! They think they are smarter than everyone else and make promises they have no intention of keeping. Many employees are hoping they sell the company to better owners.

Advice to Senior ManagementPartners are very good. I feel sorry for them because they have to provide leadership to the employees in secret without jeopardizing their own jobs.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Senior Consultant

Senior Consultant (Current Employee) Arlington, VA

Pros- Performance driven salaries and bonus structure. If you work hard and contribute to the cultural and business growth of the company you will be compensated appropriately.

- Smaller IT Consulting Firm that relies on growth and promotions from within the company. They look to advance their own employees before hiring outside the company which is great.

- BC gives great opportunities to have a lot of responsibilities if you show, over time, that you are capable of taking on duties. Lots of room to learn and grow your knowledge base in IT security.

- Family oriented culture where you get to know your Senior-Level Management, the CEO, Principle, COO, CFO very well. They also provide 5-6 company functions per year for team building.

Cons- Lack of professional training in-house and limited incentives to take IT training or certifications. While you receive $3,000 for "education and training", a lot of the more expensive training courses will not be approved except for special cases. They would prefer to pay the least amount of money and keep you billable as much as possible so week long trainings are not an option. If you are a self-study type of person than this company is for you. Self-study and BC will pay for you to take the exam but don't expect any 3-7 day training courses being approved on your first attempt.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work.

Good Old Boys Network

Sales (Former Employee) Reston, VA

ProsGood and smart people working there, just not management.

ConsIt's your typical good old boys network. Useless, lazy, and sexist former military in cushy do nothing roles.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire SOME WOMEN!

Worked for Blue Canopy? Contribute to the Community!