Blue Coat Systems

Blue Coat Systems Reviews

Updated Jul 3, 2014

Blue Coat Systems CEO Greg Clark

Greg Clark

Pros
  • Good work life balance, fairly transparent, good focus on innovation(in 8 reviews)

• Great talent and smart people work here(in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior management, especially the President/COO, are shady(in 7 reviews)

• Deceptiveness from senior / middle management(in 4 reviews)

My experience was tumultuous. The company went from public to private and I had 4 different Directors in one year.

Federal Certifications Program Manager (Former Employee) Washington, DC

ProsI knew people I had worked with from previous work experiences. My first Director was awesome but she left. I loved the work as this was in my area of expertise and I got to travel and speak on the company's behalf and make a difference in sales to the government and military sectors.

ConsCompany is not focused, has too many changeovers, did not understand my role and how it could impact their business. This was a new position and had I experiences consistency in product and program managers, and able to ensure the understanding of their release cycle and the importance of building security into the development processes, it could have been much better and they would be better placed for strategic sales. Too many people interfered and without solid direction, they are not going to achieve what is necessary to grow this sales area, on a global basis.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet out and talk to your salespeople, understand the Federal market and what it takes just to have the opportunity to do business. Stop living in your glass houses and communicate the direction of where the company is going to your resources because silence causes unrest, insecurity and confusion.

HR Leadership Not Professional

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsFair compensation; some good leaders

ConsHR Leadership is a joke. Gossip all day, no work, then brown-nose. Are you kidding me?

Advice to Senior ManagementClean house in HR.

Stay far away from here

Senior Software Engineer (Former Employee) Sunnyvale, CA

ProsNot many pros of working at Bluecoat
    Some very talented engineers and support engineers.
    Established Product Line and Federal Customers

ConsNo job security...Cut Throat Management..."Culture of Fear"

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat individuals with respect and promote career growth and employees will work

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Not a tobe company for web/mobile developers

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee) Sunnyvale, CA

ProsSunnyvale Area, Good company for h1b folks.

ConsA closed company for people in UI/web/mobile frontend development. No acknowledgement for good work done... may be not in core line of business.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to allocate right jobs to right people. STOP considering people as mere resource!!!

Things are changing for the better

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Sunnyvale, CA

ProsIndividuals definitely make a difference. Lots of interesting work and very talented development people. New executive team is focused and executes well. Goals are pushed down and managers are given the responsibility to decide what needs to be done to align with them. Managers care about their people. Morale is on the rise. Dev gets free lunch on Thursdays. You are never bored. Everyone can grow in this environment.

ConsWe are a private company so there's no stock. The facility is a drag. There is too much process at times. The hiring process is tedious. The company needs to be more quality-focused. Need more PMs and program managers.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou're doing the right things. Keep it up and start recognizing your quality folks.

eaten alive by internal politics, poor focus and execution

Senior Staff Engineer (Former Employee) Sunnyvale, CA

ProsBlueCoat had a great market foothold with their one-box solution, and it's possible they'll retain enough of that edge while they retool their product line.

ConsBlueCoat squandered their market position by continually shuffling their engineering presence across geographies due to an inability to acknowledge and resolve internal political disputes that eventually strangled their technology advantage. Going private and attempting to rebuild their product from scratch didn't resolve or minimize this crippling issue.

Advice to Senior ManagementEither shut down the Sunnyvale engineering presence, or the Waterloo engineering presence. There is too much bad blood between those geographies to ever get the productivity necessary to justify having them both. Middle management has never been upwardly honest about the realities of how bad the situation actually is.

Restructuring, causing an unpleasant work atmosphere

Engineer (Current Employee) Sunnyvale, CA

ProsRestructuring, improving performance, great employees. The employees that still work here are awesome. I have made a lot of friends here and enjoy the people.

ConsPoor management direction, lack of employee benefits (compared to before). The upper management doesn't seem to care about the future of the company, only the short term profit. They have removed a lot of the free drinks and food provided, eliminated the cafe area, made the gym smaller and have few events for the employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementGrow the company for long term success, relay those goals to the employees and provide a long term road map for the employees.

so so

SQA (Current Employee) Sunnyvale, CA

Prosnot much work pressure after privatization

Consafter privatization, not much incentive for employees

Advice to Senior Managementfair and honest

It's getting better every day...

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee) Sunnyvale, CA

Pros- Since going private this year the management has stabilized and improved.
    - I have a feeling that the management actually cares about the employees.
    - Communication is now more open and even welcomed.
    - We are going though a major upgrade of the development process in a way that seems to make sense.
    - I'm free to do my job well and contribute to improving the process/environment around me.

Cons- The free lunch is not every day

Solving challenging problems in Internet security

Software Architect (Current Employee) Sunnyvale, CA

ProsThe great thing about working at Blue Coat is the unique combination of problems / skills we get to work on. Blue Coat is working in application level network security, which means gaining a deep understanding of web-based protocols and even individual web sites and applications.

There is also a long history of performance and acceleration work at Blue Coat which layers on another completely different set of technologies and skills.

Finally, we use a custom-built OS which has its own unique learning opportunities.

ConsWithout a doubt we have come through some challenges in recent months.

Since February there has been a nearly complete "change of guard" at the highest levels in the company, and while the new management has laid out their vision and strategy for the company, there is still a little bit of a feeling that we are adrift.

There has been a lot of turnover at all levels and that has left some areas pretty short-staffed. We have a lot of open positions right now and we need to fill those so we don't feel like we are trying to do too much.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo a better job of communicating the overall strategy for the company and how individual people and teams fit into that. Part of this probably means being more focused and don't try to do too much.

Do everything possible to replace open positions.

Worked for Blue Coat Systems? Contribute to the Community!