Blue Coat Systems Reviews

Reset
4.0
Blue Coat Systems CEO Greg Clark
Greg Clark

Pros
  • Good work life balance, fairly transparent, good focus on innovation (in 9 reviews)

• Incredibly smart people on every team (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • There is no work-life balance unless you are an engineer (in 3 reviews)

• No one wants to make a decision, it gets passed round like a hot potato (in 3 reviews)

1. Featured Review

Great company

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at Blue Coat Systems full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Strong installed base of loyal customers. Great set of technologies especially in security and proxy. Solid company and place of work with a great culture, plus good salaries and benefits. Significant upside in the future if the company executes.

Cons

Like all companies of this size, some internal politics to deal with and challenges at times to get the resources desired. The later easily resolved if strong business case is presented.

Advice to Management

Continue focus and innovate around security, while balancing investment in adjacent technologies like visibility and acceleration.

2. Good and flexible job

Current Employee - Web Analyst
    Current Employee - Web Analyst

I have been working at Blue Coat Systems (More than 3 years)

Pros

Can work from home. They're very flexible. Can work overtime.

Cons

Doesn't pay much. Very small annual pay increases.

3. Still Loving It!!!

Current Employee - Executive Assistant in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Executive Assistant in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Blue Coat Systems full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I posted the below in 2012 AND I still feel the same and Love it here! Blue Coat is one of the best companies I have worked for! Good times ahead!!! “I enjoy coming to work! ” Current Employee - Executive Assistant in Sunnyvale, CA Recommends Positive Outlook Approves of CEO I have been working at Blue Coat Systems full-time (More than 5 years) Pros I love it here not only because I love what I do, but I enjoy the people I work with. Blue Coat has great employees, a laid back environment, flexibility in schedules, an understanding of family, an excellent product and an Executive team that is not the usual OMG the CEO is coming in lets be on our best behavior and roll out the red carpet. Cons Nothing comes to mind at this time. Helpful

Cons

I can't think of any before and now. I believe if you are not happy you should change it, accept it, ot move on.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing... we are headed for great things and great times thanks to you!

5. Nice company / Great Moment

Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer
    Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer

I have been working at Blue Coat Systems (More than 5 years)

Pros

Company is living the best moment of all times.... Good technology, nice management and clear goal.

Cons

Really can't see any cons right now.

6. Sr. Program Manager

Current Employee - Program Manager in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Blue Coat Systems full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent company, opportunities for upward movement, supportive environment, sufficient rewards for hard work

Cons

Rapidly growing difficult to keep up

Advice to Management

Hire Key technical resources where possible

Many good things, many bad things

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Draper, UT
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Draper, UT

I worked at Blue Coat Systems full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits, bonus program, work/life balance, people, and perks. Lots of opportunities to learn, especially if you're interested in all the different things Blue Coat does (and there are many). Lots of activities, free lunches, etc.

Cons

Everyone is doing multiple jobs. Upper management are so focused on keeping costs down that they refuse to staff most departments at reasonable levels. Everyone who writes code has to work in an extremely restrictive coding environment (remote in to a restricted VM even when onsite. Top-down, authoritarian culture. Few career path options. Very little mobility.

Advice to Management

Look beyond the IPO and hire more people so you don't burn everyone out. Encourage bottom-up innovation. Try to promote from within.

Marketing Director

Former Employee - Director in Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - Director in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at Blue Coat Systems full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Generous work-at-home policy. Nice, nice people. Patience abounds when you are ramping up in your position, as network security and optimization are highly technical subjects -- each with their own vernacular. Huge upside potential for this brand, as it is emerging as the only leader in the space that can deliver all stages of an Advanced Threat Defense within the context of a more traditional Secure Web Gateway solution.

Cons

Staggering volume of work, as a result of minimal staffing in each department. Most folks are doing the job of 3-to-4 people, at least. Huge expectations as to number of hours worked. 24/7 on-call status is not uncommon for many in the mid-to-higher levels of the organization. Training is nonexistent, and junior team members are often left to their own devices. Many senior people are untrained in their vocational disciplines, as well. Classic case of engineers placed in high-level marketing roles.

Advice to Management

If you are expecting loyalty, stock options for everyone during the current pre-IPO push is the only equitable solution. Most will not dedicate their souls to you without potential for a big payout at an exit event.

Fantastic company that is in the midst of making a BIG move within the security space.

I have been working at Blue Coat Systems full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are literally thousands of security companies in the market today but Blue Coat has been able to lift themselves above the fray with technologies that are relevant and impactful in the marketplace. With several recent acquisitions also by with traditional core Blue Coat products the company is able to offer a level of security to its customers that is unique within the current security environment. Blue Coat still maintains top Gartner recommendations and products are developed, built and tested with large engineering teams in the United States. The recent Bain acquisition has created additional excitement within the company and expectations are generally high. Management does an excellent job making efforts to create an enjoyable working environment. Employees in both the Sunnyvale and Utah offices enjoy good relationships and the overall environment is upbeat and positive.

Cons

No equity sharing plan for the rank and file currently. Difficult to get behind the vision of a new IPO without a compensation plan that provides employees with an equity stake in the company. The company can sometimes act larger than it actually is creating excessive red tape and gridlock that prevents the kind of rapid response that start ups enjoy. Annual salary increases based on performance are lackluster at best and almost non existent right now. Even with high performance reviews the company is offering very small compensation from increases.

Advice to Management

Roll out an aggressive equity sharing plan that will provide the correct incentive to motivate the entire company to achieve big things. Get more competitive with salaries in order to maintain and attract top talent. Communicate vision, provide regular company performance updates and continue to invest in your people. Resist the urge to be short sighted and help us create something special here.

think some more

Current Employee - Support Engineer in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Support Engineer in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Blue Coat Systems full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Management tells you what you want to hear but doesn't follow through

Cons

Company does not promote within, does not keep company up to date with important news

Advice to Management

Don't roll out programs and branding when the management and teams do not take ownership themselves

Exciting Stuff

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Draper, UT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Draper, UT

I have been working at Blue Coat Systems full-time

Pros

The company has a great vision in terms of cloud computing. Our security products are fun and exciting to work on. Our office has a fantastic culture.The site activities are very fun, and the management team has a great attitude. Generally the company performs well.

Cons

Executives don't come around enough. Raises come slowly, with no other real opportunity for equity. When salaries increased in the region recently, our compensation didn't go up to match. It's easy to get a 25% increase at another company while Blue Coat gives you 3%. It's not all about money, because its fun - but at some point you gotta pay market value or lose good people.

Advice to Management

Take a serious look at current salaries and take action, so that people don't peek outside the door. The silicon slopes are very hot right now. Take value in the people you have, because you will pay what they are worth to replace them.

RSS Feed </> Embed