Blue Coat Systems

Blue Coat Systems Reviews

Updated Jul 3, 2014

Blue Coat Systems CEO Greg Clark

Greg Clark

Pros:
  • "Good work life balance, fairly transparent, good focus on innovation"
    in 8 reviews
  • "Lots of smart people with great personalities"
    in 10 reviews
Cons:
  • "Senior management, especially the President/COO, are shady"
    in 7 reviews
  • "Deceptiveness from senior / middle management"
    in 4 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

A Company Full of Redwoods

Senior Staff Software Development Engineer (Current Employee)
    Draper, UT

ProsThere's a lot of really smart, talented, and dedicated people working at Blue Coat. Most of them are easy to approach and willing to offer help when asked. There's opportunity to grow professionally, bringing one's skills to new levels. Dress is casual, which is a huge plus. You can usually work from home part of the week. Base salary plus bonus brings one's annual pay to far more than you could get anywhere else in the valley. I would dare say it is THE top paying company when it comes to compensating their engineers. The company has an excellent culture, with an in-house, company supplied bar, tech talks, frequent company provided lunches, a free snack and soda supplied break room, several wall mounted TVs scattered around the office, a beautiful view of the valley, opportunities to engage in community projects, company outdoor BBQs 2-3 times in the summer.

ConsSince they pay for the best and brightest, there is no hand-holding. The onboarding is basically non-existent; you're just expected to come up to speed quickly and on your own. If you need help, it's up to you ask someone for it. When you come on board, your work environment isn't set up for you; you request the machines you need and set them up yourself. The projects can seem to use a methodology somewhere between Agile and Cowboy coding. You can alternate between too much to do and too little to do (during code freeze and waiting for the OK to release). As a new employee, it can seem like a fraternity, trying to prove yourself worthy of the respect you deserve for your years of experience. In other words, there's a tendency to not trust the new guy until he proves himself, rather than vice versa.

Advice to Senior ManagementScrap the ridiculous idea of team building through "Storming and Norming...", which often leads to simply the most vocal and fanatical getting their way. You decide who is best to make the decision on certain things and put them in charge of it. Don't just throw the team together and let them work that out.

Happy to come to work.

ProsGood communication throughout the company. Recognition given for a job well done. Management encourages to leave your computer at home when you go on vacation.

ConsBeing a global company, sometimes you need to have calls at odd times but that seems to be the new normal.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep listening to the employees. A happy employee is a productive employee.

Great company, friendly people, great technology

Senior Technical Writer (Current Employee)
    Sunnyvale, CA

ProsA company on the rise, with a global reach but small enough to feel noticed, with a very friendly, casual culture. The products are integral to where the internet is going. A genuine sense of camaraderie prevails.

ConsIt's an hour away from where I live!

Advice to Senior ManagementPerhaps support a bit more working remotely...

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

New to company and really enjoy coming to work. Everyone has the perfect attitude and culture. Awesome strategy!

Senior Director (Current Employee)

ProsNew via acquisition, company has great strategy and leadership is as engaged as I have ever seen in 20+ years in business.

ConsSome legacy product tension as new strategy unfolds.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up great work! People are noticing.

Awesome company

Senior Systems Engineer (Current Employee)
    Stockholm, Stockholm (Sweden)

ProsBest technology in the market
    Best innovative persons

ConsCareer opportunities up in the company are not many

Exciting company

Senior Systems Engineer (Current Employee)
    London, England (UK)

Prosyou are given great independence to do your own work. great amount of trust given to you.
    exciting times at Blue coat as they acquired several new businesses and develops new products. engineering competency here is strong and the new product lines are very agile.
    great people to work with, has great music band - "the lost packets"

Conscan't think of something specific

The company has really improved

Senior Engineer (Current Employee)
    Waterloo, ON (Canada)

ProsReally great management team since we were taken private
    Much more focused on the solutions rather than discrete features
    Lots of smart people with great personalities
    Working on the some really cool technology
    Very exciting market to be in
    Fantastic financial results in the past 12 months

We went through a very difficult transition in late 2011 through mid 2012. Things have really improved since with stability, morale and new energy

ConsThere is more work than people. Too bad we can't hire more people to address some of the great opportunities in this market space
    Sometimes we don't spend enough time prioritizing the really important work and it is hard to know if you are working on the most important thing

Advice to Senior ManagementWe had so many re-organizations from 2010 to 2012. Things have finally stabilized over the past 9-12 months which has greatly improved things.

Best learning experience - a must-have work experience for any software developer

Software QA Engineer (Former Employee)
    Waterloo, ON (Canada)

ProsGood salary, great environment, awesome teammates, flexible work hours, close to bus route, challenging problems

Consconstant changing of work duties based on company structure, have to accept a re-offer immediately to get a job

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep on truckin'.

Exciting technical opportunities to learn and grow.

Manager, Software Development (Current Employee)

ProsBluecoat's product strategy is well aligned with the changes in Security marketplace. The technologies developed in Bluecoat are uniquely placed to solve the current Security challenges in areas of mobile, byod, cloud and social networking. Bluecoat also has deep acceleration technologies that allow to accelerate the content while providing security.

Senior management has provided a lot of freedom to Engineers to build cool technologies towards the technical vision that is now very well laid out.

There are a lot of smart people around to learn from technically. It is a dynamic company that reacts quickly to changing requirements of the marketplace and this allows for working on cutting edge technologies. The company cares for work/life balance and there has been renewed focus on having fun lately - wine down Wednesdays, beer bash Fridays, company picnics ... !!

ConsThere were quite a bit of changes after the acquisition in February this year. However, the company appears to have settled down with new structures and processes in place. This has enabled engineers to focus on product innovation.

Advice to Senior ManagementWe have a quite a few openings - please focus on innovative ideas to hire the best talent in the valley so that we can build a great team.

Solving challenging problems in Internet security

Software Architect (Current Employee)
    Sunnyvale, CA

ProsThe great thing about working at Blue Coat is the unique combination of problems / skills we get to work on. Blue Coat is working in application level network security, which means gaining a deep understanding of web-based protocols and even individual web sites and applications.

There is also a long history of performance and acceleration work at Blue Coat which layers on another completely different set of technologies and skills.

Finally, we use a custom-built OS which has its own unique learning opportunities.

ConsWithout a doubt we have come through some challenges in recent months.

Since February there has been a nearly complete "change of guard" at the highest levels in the company, and while the new management has laid out their vision and strategy for the company, there is still a little bit of a feeling that we are adrift.

There has been a lot of turnover at all levels and that has left some areas pretty short-staffed. We have a lot of open positions right now and we need to fill those so we don't feel like we are trying to do too much.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo a better job of communicating the overall strategy for the company and how individual people and teams fit into that. Part of this probably means being more focused and don't try to do too much.

Do everything possible to replace open positions.

Worked for Blue Coat Systems? Contribute to the Community!

Blue Coat Systems Videos

Blue Coat Systems – Why Work for Us?

There's No Company Like Blue Coat Blue Coat is a fast-paced, dynamic environment comprised of smart people who push boundaries every day to develop powerful technology. (Did you know we have 200+ patents and patents… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Blue Coat Systems reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Blue Coat Systems CEO Greg Clark. All 132 reviews posted anonymously by Blue Coat Systems employees.