Blue Coat Systems Reviews

172 reviews filtered by
3.9
Blue Coat Systems CEO Greg Clark
Greg Clark

Pros
  • Good work life balance, fairly transparent, good focus on innovation (in 9 reviews)

• Great talent and smart people work here (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior management, especially the President/COO, are shady (in 7 reviews)

• There is no work-life balance unless you are an engineer (in 3 reviews)

1. Featured Review

Great place to work

I have been working at Blue Coat Systems full-time

Pros

Blue Coat has a great culture and a great product portfolio to match. We offer an industry leading combination of security solutions. Relating to the work environment, has very good work-life balance, supports telecommuting where possible. Everyone really seems to work at a consistently high level.

Cons

Perhaps more organizational change than necessary. Appears to be major changes with each new fiscal year - relating to sales structure anyhow - but with growth this strong I think it is to be expected.

I think it is time to introduce stock-based compensation to the overall structure. Need to focus on retaining talent as we continue to grow.

2. Never a dull moment.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Blue Coat Systems full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Dynamic environment, growing fast, and in the right markets. Over the last few years, Blue Coat has been making smart moves to participate in that growth. Very good prospects for the future, and firmly on track for an IPO in the relatively near-term. Generally, good work/life balance and a flexible work environment.

Cons

Since Private Equity ownership, very limited equity opportunities for most employees. According to management, this will get better as the new owners (Bain) prepare Blue Coat for IPO that will benefit the average employees.

Employees are listening closely, so choose words carefully, and follow through on promises.

3. As a co-op student, it has been excellent.

Current Employee - QA Engineer in Waterloo, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - QA Engineer in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Blue Coat Systems

Pros

Coffee, food and great people are plentiful.

Cons

Having to sit all day.

Provide standing/sitting workstations for optimal health.

5. It was a very good experience with very good people

Former Contractor - Senior Business Systems Analyst in Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Contractor - Senior Business Systems Analyst in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at Blue Coat Systems as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Lot of scope to grow. Really smart people to work with. People focus on success of project over politics.

Cons

They need to give priority to work life balance. Salary is not compared to market

6. Blue Coat is an awesome company to work for

Current Employee - Program Manager in Remote, OR
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Remote, OR

I have been working at Blue Coat Systems full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Supportive Management Team
    Team-working environment
    Drive to Succeed
    Immediate Benefits
    Great Vacation time
    401K Plan

Cons

Lack of Diversity in Medical Benefits
    No option for a Pension Plan

Keep Doing what you're doing

7. A company that truly invests in its people, and who recognizes that we all sink or sail together.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waterloo, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Blue Coat Systems

Pros

After almost seven years with BlueCoat, I've enjoyed the sense that my contributions matter. As such, this has driven me to ensure that my work exceeds expectations on a regular basis. This has led to promotions and external training to meet my career goals; at one point even switching career paths within the company.

I've worked for several silicon-valley headquartered companies in the past, and BlueCoat exemplifies the work hard/play hard work-life balance that tech companies in the area are known for.

Cons

This company genuinely takes care of its employees; it's been through some challenging times, but as it stands today, I can list no negative aspects to working for BlueCoat.

8. Timely investments in the Cyber Security industry.

I have been working at Blue Coat Systems

Pros

Agressive hiring, getting best of the best. Attracting top talent in the industry. Loyal customer install base with relevant new products and solution set. Pay very well with upside potential career and $ wise.

Cons

It is a fast pace environment and getting faster. Some not able to keep that pace.

Keep moving forward, preserving best talent and keeping door open for creativity.

9. Great place for people who take responsibility

I have been working at Blue Coat Systems full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

BC works hard to create a culture of personal responsibility and teamwork at the same time. I have a lot of freedom in how I do my job, and my team, management, peers and employees are excellent at helping each other however possible. Management does not seem as interested in their personal perks and position as I have seen at other companies - they all work hard.

Cons

High paced environment with emphasis on success can sometimes be a bit much, but it is time pressure, not a heavy attitude from management.

Keep working and don't fall into the trap of looking for personal perks.

10. it has been so good so far

Current Employee - Channel Manager in `Arab (Saudi Arabia)
    Current Employee - Channel Manager in `Arab (Saudi Arabia)

I have been working at Blue Coat Systems full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Bluecoat is a leader in web security gateway, and by its recent acquisition we are rapidly stepping into the cyber security business, where we can demonstrate our values as individuals, and contribute in the global fight of the cyber criminal

Cons

a little bit late we are stepping into the security, the challenge is that other companies already there, and we need to prove that we are the best to rely on when it comes to security life defense

i appreciate the hard work that has been done, and recently appointed COO and President Mike Fey, will certainly add a great value to our work

11. Best place I've ever worked!

Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Blue Coat Systems

Pros

Blue Coat has been going through a lot of changes over the last several years. While some of them haven't been great, the company remains an amazing place to work.
    Blue Coat's leadership fosters a great environment for furthering yourself, your abilities and skills, and your career.
    We are growing very quickly, and while that can be challenging to keep up with, I see this as an overall pro...

Cons

You have to reach out to get what you want. Nothing comes on a silver platter, so you do need to be proactive about getting the training and other needs for your career.
    Things are changing very quickly at Blue Coat, right now. These changes aren't always smooth, but management is doing a good job at minimizing the impact on employees. If you're proactive about maintaining your skills, training, and career, this won't be a con, but if you're the kind of person who just sits around, waiting for someone to tell you what to do, you won't thrive in this environment.

Blue Coat's values are amazing and everyone who works for the company needs to be customer focused to be successful. Keep up the great work!