Blue Coat Systems

Updated March 5, 2015
3.8

Blue Coat Systems CEO Greg Clark
Greg Clark

Pros
  • Good work life balance, fairly transparent, good focus on innovation (in 9 reviews)

• Great talent and smart people work here (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior management, especially the President/COO, are shady (in 7 reviews)

• There is no work-life balance unless you are an engineer (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

1. Featured Review

Best place I've ever worked!

Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Blue Coat Systems

Pros

Blue Coat has been going through a lot of changes over the last several years. While some of them haven't been great, the company remains an amazing place to work.
    Blue Coat's leadership fosters a great environment for furthering yourself, your abilities and skills, and your career.
    We are growing very quickly, and while that can be challenging to keep up with, I see this as an overall pro...

Cons

You have to reach out to get what you want. Nothing comes on a silver platter, so you do need to be proactive about getting the training and other needs for your career.
    Things are changing very quickly at Blue Coat, right now. These changes aren't always smooth, but management is doing a good job at minimizing the impact on employees. If you're proactive about maintaining your skills, training, and career, this won't be a con, but if you're the kind of person who just sits around, waiting for someone to tell you what to do, you won't thrive in this environment.

Blue Coat's values are amazing and everyone who works for the company needs to be customer focused to be successful. Keep up the great work!

Blue Coat is an awesome company to work for

Current Employee - Program Manager in Remote, OR
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Remote, OR

I have been working at Blue Coat Systems full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Supportive Management Team
    Team-working environment
    Drive to Succeed
    Immediate Benefits
    Great Vacation time
    401K Plan

Cons

Lack of Diversity in Medical Benefits
    No option for a Pension Plan

Keep Doing what you're doing

A company that truly invests in its people, and who recognizes that we all sink or sail together.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waterloo, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Blue Coat Systems

Pros

After almost seven years with BlueCoat, I've enjoyed the sense that my contributions matter. As such, this has driven me to ensure that my work exceeds expectations on a regular basis. This has led to promotions and external training to meet my career goals; at one point even switching career paths within the company.

I've worked for several silicon-valley headquartered companies in the past, and BlueCoat exemplifies the work hard/play hard work-life balance that tech companies in the area are known for.

Cons

This company genuinely takes care of its employees; it's been through some challenging times, but as it stands today, I can list no negative aspects to working for BlueCoat.

Timely investments in the Cyber Security industry.

I have been working at Blue Coat Systems

Pros

Agressive hiring, getting best of the best. Attracting top talent in the industry. Loyal customer install base with relevant new products and solution set. Pay very well with upside potential career and $ wise.

Cons

It is a fast pace environment and getting faster. Some not able to keep that pace.

Keep moving forward, preserving best talent and keeping door open for creativity.

Great place for people who take responsibility

I have been working at Blue Coat Systems full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

BC works hard to create a culture of personal responsibility and teamwork at the same time. I have a lot of freedom in how I do my job, and my team, management, peers and employees are excellent at helping each other however possible. Management does not seem as interested in their personal perks and position as I have seen at other companies - they all work hard.

Cons

High paced environment with emphasis on success can sometimes be a bit much, but it is time pressure, not a heavy attitude from management.

Keep working and don't fall into the trap of looking for personal perks.

it has been so good so far

Current Employee - Channel Manager in `Arab (Saudi Arabia)
    Current Employee - Channel Manager in `Arab (Saudi Arabia)

I have been working at Blue Coat Systems full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Bluecoat is a leader in web security gateway, and by its recent acquisition we are rapidly stepping into the cyber security business, where we can demonstrate our values as individuals, and contribute in the global fight of the cyber criminal

Cons

a little bit late we are stepping into the security, the challenge is that other companies already there, and we need to prove that we are the best to rely on when it comes to security life defense

i appreciate the hard work that has been done, and recently appointed COO and President Mike Fey, will certainly add a great value to our work

Great company to work for

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Draper, UT
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Draper, UT

I have been working at Blue Coat Systems full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

For me the biggest benefit of working here is that we have a good sense of common purpose. I don't feel like I am fighting against other teams for resources or recognition. Even the executive management team seems to have this same common purpose. The people I work with are competent and share the same goals that I do. The benefits package is nice, and the compensation is generous. They are very generous with time off and sick time as well. Since I have been here the bonuses and raises have been regular and generous as well. Lunch is frequently brought in, and there are snacks/drinks in the break room.

Cons

Working with teams in different time zones can be challenging, but usually it isn't too bad.

Keep doing what you're doing

An up and coming security company

Current Employee - Sales Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Blue Coat Systems

Pros

Great products and great people! Have made several acquisitions in the last 18 months that are really taking off. Was just named top security company to watch for 2015 by CRN.

Cons

Need to fix some back office processes that make it more difficult to do business than it needs to be.

We are one of the best kept secrets in the market. Let's publicize all of the great things we are doing for our customers every day.,

Great company with Solid management team!!

Current Employee - Senior Manager/Executive
    Current Employee - Senior Manager/Executive

I have been working at Blue Coat Systems full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

This is one of the best company i have worked for. Management really cares for employees and rewards employees on achievements.

Cons

No stock incentives as company is under Private Equity.

Keep up the good work. Invest in non-sales functions.

Insider view

Current Employee - Sales in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Sales in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Blue Coat Systems

Pros

Fantastic management team, driving the company forward.
    Local management supportive and approachable
    Great team spirit from all levels and countries, agreed global account structure gives us platform to work with other countries in complete harmony and all benefit from each others hard work.

Great pension, medical and benefit schemes.

We have real values and morals and adhere to these no matter how much $$$ is at stake - Refreshing change from previous experience.

Cons

We use Blackberry phones :-(

Price book changes too frequent over last 2 yrs

Keep innovating, acquiring appropriate technologies and integrating them into the portfolio.