Blue Coat Systems Reviews

176 reviews filtered by
3.8
Blue Coat Systems CEO Greg Clark
Greg Clark

Pros
  • Good work life balance, fairly transparent, good focus on innovation (in 9 reviews)

• Great talent and smart people work here (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior management, especially the President/COO, are shady (in 7 reviews)

• There is no work-life balance unless you are an engineer (in 3 reviews)

1. Featured Review

Great place to work

I have been working at Blue Coat Systems full-time

Pros

Blue Coat has a great culture and a great product portfolio to match. We offer an industry leading combination of security solutions. Relating to the work environment, has very good work-life balance, supports telecommuting where possible. Everyone really seems to work at a consistently high level.

Cons

Perhaps more organizational change than necessary. Appears to be major changes with each new fiscal year - relating to sales structure anyhow - but with growth this strong I think it is to be expected.

Advice to Management

I think it is time to introduce stock-based compensation to the overall structure. Need to focus on retaining talent as we continue to grow.

2. Slow sinking ship

Current Employee - Sales Engineer
    Current Employee - Sales Engineer

I have been working at Blue Coat Systems full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Used to be a great company and has lots of existing customers which keep the business afloat

Cons

Seems that most of the customers are looking at other solutions and migrating to either NGFW or Cloud

Advice to Management

Sell it - oh, you already did that!!!

3. Great place to work

I have been working at Blue Coat Systems

Pros

Lots of long term employees that will assist you when you need help. Turnover is low because manager's back up their subordinates (in my department this is the case).

Cons

Engineering team takes forever to fix bugs.

Bad experience. After putting in a lot of time and effort was made to feel worthless and felt I had to quit.

I worked at Blue Coat Systems

Pros

In the end there we no pros only some very unprofessional people around our team..

Cons

Bad Management who lost a lot of good staff. Favoritism is allowed to win out, regardless of who can do the job better, If you face fits and you keep your head down and don't give opinions, you night still be there.

Advice to Management

Stand up for what you believe in and don't go along with the Pack if you think there are wrong. You will not help the company,

6. Good Culture

I have been working at Blue Coat Systems

Pros

Great staff in Boxborough, strong leadership, lots of resources, comfortable and outstanding culture. Dedicated to challenging their interns and including them in the SDLC.

Cons

Not much to say, Only that company was a little opaque when it came to current business issues

Avoid this place like a Plague.

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Blue Coat Systems full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great skilled employees. above average pay in most areas since there are no stocks.

Cons

Absolutely evil and incompetent VPs and SVPs. The majority of senior management team are brought in from E2Open or Mincom or Mercury. Many of them are promoted to VP with no prior experience in managing people or organization. Since they have no technical knowledge, they operate on lies and fears. Their focus is to sell the company and pocket the proceeds as they have done in the past companies. They don't care about employees and have created absolutely horrible environment to work. They are nervous about entries in the Glassdoor so they have a team who monitors the entries and submit bogus positive comments to up their ratings. don't fall for it.

Advice to Management

You guys are representing the worst of the worst in management. You are greedy and dishonest and don't deserve to be called "management".

Avoid - This Company is ruled by a toxic core of incompetent ex-Mercury Cronies who rule by fear.

Former Employee - Vice President Marketing in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Vice President Marketing in London, England (UK)

I worked at Blue Coat Systems full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The products and pay was good, but that's all.

Cons

I'm describing from an SVP level viewpoint here. This is a Company where if you're from a region and you demonstrate too much competence and professionalism, you'll be seen as a threat and bullied and 'managed out' even if you are performing better than your peers in other regions, and delivering the numbers. One or two of the SVPs in corporate are there through cronyism (they're all ex-Mercury) and are definitely not there through competence. I was there for almost two years (there's a significance with that time period given that shortly after I was bullied out they went IPO). If you're uk based make sure you get a proper employment contract review before you join them. If you're ex-Mercury you'll be alright regardless of your competency.

There is one toxic and wholly incompetent Individual (SVP) who you should avoid at all costs. This person even sent out an email instructing everyone to put a positive review of Bluecoat on Glassdoor so reviews originating from Sunnyvale are probably false. This is a good indicator of the type of fear based working culture that is the ethos of this Company.

Advice to Management

There is simply no point in advising Management on here because they know the problems, but fail to address them. I will advise those considering joining them though, and I can back it up my claims with evidence if required. Whilst the products have a good reputation, most of us in the industry who are experienced at SVP level are aware of Bluecoat being a high risk and potentially toxic career choice. It's definitely one to avoid.

9. I have been working at Blue Coat for over 18 months.

Current Employee - California in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - California in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Blue Coat Systems

Pros

Fast moving company and culture (relative to the larger, security vendors), Friendly and enthusiastic environment; Plenty of opportunity for training, growth, experience; A growing leader in a hot, exciting industry; New management brings in positive, enthusiastic life and drive within the company

Cons

Still has to evolve some Sales, Ops and Development processes and procedures to be more effective; Needs to amplify its value prop more WW; Better enablment of the sales force and channels is required, esp. due to the increasing number of products/product; Needs to be more aggressive against competitors in marketing and sales

Advice to Management

Consider spot bonuses - even small ones of cash/gift cards, etc - for successfully completed key projects and deliverables to boost morale and drive employee recognition. Right now, only a few employees are recognized in Quarterly All Hands meetings. Recognition and reward can and should take place outside of these meetings as well...

10. Never a dull moment.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Blue Coat Systems full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Dynamic environment, growing fast, and in the right markets. Over the last few years, Blue Coat has been making smart moves to participate in that growth. Very good prospects for the future, and firmly on track for an IPO in the relatively near-term. Generally, good work/life balance and a flexible work environment.

Cons

Since Private Equity ownership, very limited equity opportunities for most employees. According to management, this will get better as the new owners (Bain) prepare Blue Coat for IPO that will benefit the average employees.

Advice to Management

Employees are listening closely, so choose words carefully, and follow through on promises.

11. As a co-op student, it has been excellent.

Current Employee - QA Engineer in Waterloo, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - QA Engineer in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Blue Coat Systems

Pros

Coffee, food and great people are plentiful.

Cons

Having to sit all day.

Advice to Management

Provide standing/sitting workstations for optimal health.