Blue Coat Systems Reviews

171 reviews filtered by
3.9
Blue Coat Systems CEO Greg Clark
Greg Clark

Pros
  • Good work life balance, fairly transparent, good focus on innovation (in 9 reviews)

• Great talent and smart people work here (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior management, especially the President/COO, are shady (in 7 reviews)

• There is no work-life balance unless you are an engineer (in 3 reviews)

1. Featured Review

Great place to work

I have been working at Blue Coat Systems full-time

Pros

Blue Coat has a great culture and a great product portfolio to match. We offer an industry leading combination of security solutions. Relating to the work environment, has very good work-life balance, supports telecommuting where possible. Everyone really seems to work at a consistently high level.

Cons

Perhaps more organizational change than necessary. Appears to be major changes with each new fiscal year - relating to sales structure anyhow - but with growth this strong I think it is to be expected.

I think it is time to introduce stock-based compensation to the overall structure. Need to focus on retaining talent as we continue to grow.

2. I have been working at Blue Coat for over 18 months.

Current Employee - California in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - California in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Blue Coat Systems

Pros

Fast moving company and culture (relative to the larger, security vendors), Friendly and enthusiastic environment; Plenty of opportunity for training, growth, experience; A growing leader in a hot, exciting industry; New management brings in positive, enthusiastic life and drive within the company

Cons

Still has to evolve some Sales, Ops and Development processes and procedures to be more effective; Needs to amplify its value prop more WW; Better enablment of the sales force and channels is required, esp. due to the increasing number of products/product; Needs to be more aggressive against competitors in marketing and sales

Consider spot bonuses - even small ones of cash/gift cards, etc - for successfully completed key projects and deliverables to boost morale and drive employee recognition. Right now, only a few employees are recognized in Quarterly All Hands meetings. Recognition and reward can and should take place outside of these meetings as well...

3. Never a dull moment.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Blue Coat Systems full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Dynamic environment, growing fast, and in the right markets. Over the last few years, Blue Coat has been making smart moves to participate in that growth. Very good prospects for the future, and firmly on track for an IPO in the relatively near-term. Generally, good work/life balance and a flexible work environment.

Cons

Since Private Equity ownership, very limited equity opportunities for most employees. According to management, this will get better as the new owners (Bain) prepare Blue Coat for IPO that will benefit the average employees.

Employees are listening closely, so choose words carefully, and follow through on promises.

5. As a co-op student, it has been excellent.

Current Employee - QA Engineer in Waterloo, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - QA Engineer in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Blue Coat Systems

Pros

Coffee, food and great people are plentiful.

Cons

Having to sit all day.

Provide standing/sitting workstations for optimal health.

6. It was a very good experience with very good people

Former Contractor - Senior Business Systems Analyst in Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Contractor - Senior Business Systems Analyst in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at Blue Coat Systems as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Lot of scope to grow. Really smart people to work with. People focus on success of project over politics.

Cons

They need to give priority to work life balance. Salary is not compared to market

Miserable Company.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at Blue Coat Systems full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Free lunch some days, great employees

Cons

Unprofessional Management team. Fear mongering is the style of senior management. No work-life balance, expected to work 60+hrs a week. Ever changing priorities.

Just sell the company and Leave!!!!

8. Good company, but room for improvement

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Farnborough, Hampshire, South East England, England (UK)

I have been working at Blue Coat Systems full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Blue Coat is a good Company to work for, they have given me the opportunity to grow, gain more experience and be able to use that experience. However, like many companies there is always room for improvement.

The benefits are good, depending on what country you are based in! The salaries are good and i am paid well for my role, but others are paid more, which makes me wonder why i am not worth a higher salary.

The employees are great to work with and are very supportive.

Cons

Blue Coat does not always listen to its employees. Sometimes if there are problems, they can get swept under the carpet.

Often i have noticed, "its not what you know but who you know" and they can be favouritism at times

Listen to your employees, you may not always like what you hear, but it would be good if you took notice and sometimes did something about it !

Where to start:...

I have been working at Blue Coat Systems full-time (more than a year)

Pros

It pays OK and colleagues / peers are genuine and helpful

Cons

-Incompetent managers who rule by fear,
    -Complete lack of communication as to what is really going on, just Google Blue Coat Systems it brings up all sorts of news articles, that dare not be mentioned,
    -Unless you work in Sales or engineering don’t expect to get rewarded or get a thank you,
    -There is a small percentage of people who work hard, and they are over worked to breaking point. The ones who get away with doing little or nothing are rewarded, hard workers aren’t, it is just expected of them,
    -Decisions are rarely made, just passed round and round to the point you give up,
    -Cronyism is rife, a new senior manager or VP starts, expect to see a lot of previous colleagues of that manger appear, whist the old people are managed out.
    -Under funding in some departments, whilst others appear to be over funded,
    -Constantly moving the pay review time frame, so you are never too sure when the next pay review will be,
    -Core values, they would be ok if Senior Managers \ anyone in charge took the time to understand them and apply them to what they did, instead there is a do as I say, not as I do mentally, which you daren’t bring up or else your cards are marked.
    -Moral so low, it long ago crashed through the floor,

Stop ‘dreaming it’ and actually get back to reality. Trust your employee’s and don’t treat them as a commodity that can be easily replaced if they question anything, they have genuine concerns. If you want to stand together, then you need to be far more inclusive and take the time to thank and reward everyone who has worked hard to get the company where it is today, not just the select few.

10. Blue Coat is an awesome company to work for

Current Employee - Program Manager in Remote, OR
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Remote, OR

I have been working at Blue Coat Systems full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Supportive Management Team
    Team-working environment
    Drive to Succeed
    Immediate Benefits
    Great Vacation time
    401K Plan

Cons

Lack of Diversity in Medical Benefits
    No option for a Pension Plan

Keep Doing what you're doing

11. A company that truly invests in its people, and who recognizes that we all sink or sail together.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waterloo, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Blue Coat Systems

Pros

After almost seven years with BlueCoat, I've enjoyed the sense that my contributions matter. As such, this has driven me to ensure that my work exceeds expectations on a regular basis. This has led to promotions and external training to meet my career goals; at one point even switching career paths within the company.

I've worked for several silicon-valley headquartered companies in the past, and BlueCoat exemplifies the work hard/play hard work-life balance that tech companies in the area are known for.

Cons

This company genuinely takes care of its employees; it's been through some challenging times, but as it stands today, I can list no negative aspects to working for BlueCoat.