Blue Coat Systems

Updated November 11, 2014
3.5

Blue Coat Systems CEO Greg Clark
Greg Clark

Pros
  • Good work life balance, fairly transparent, good focus on innovation (in 9 reviews)

• Great talent and smart people work here (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior management, especially the President/COO, are shady (in 7 reviews)

• Deceptiveness from senior / middle management (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Stay away!

I have been working at Blue Coat Systems full-time (more than an year)

Pros

it's a paycheck, but you'll work hard to get it. Do you like working 6 or 7 days a week? It's better than digging ditches.

Cons

Minimal benefits, no stock options or ESPP.
    There is no life - work balance.
    There's a difference in being owned by private venture capitalists and a "private company". And it's not a good difference. Beware.
    Management rules by fear and seems to think employees re expendable commodities. The attrition rate at the company is unbelievable.

Understand that your employees are not commodities to be easily replaced.
    Stop ruling by fear and expecting employees to be happy with that.

Puts food on the table, if not much else

Current Employee - Systems Administrative in Draper, UT
    Current Employee - Systems Administrative in Draper, UT

I have been working at Blue Coat Systems full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good healthcare, although each year they cut it back a little. They provide food often on fridays and it is an okay place to work. You know whats expected and what to expect.

Cons

Since they were bought out things are gradually slipping down. I interviewed and was hired for an IT administrator position but now only do office administrative work and hardly actually touch a computer which is detrimental to my career growth. Cut backs yearly to benefits and somewhat esoteric and counterproductive systems are used. Plus pay isn't great and there is not a lot of negotiation.

Actually specify and be honest about what job postings are for and don't require college degrees and programming experience to be able to order a replacement hard drive over the phone.

HR Leadership Not Professional

I worked at Blue Coat Systems

Pros

Fair compensation; some good leaders

Cons

HR Leadership is a joke. Gossip all day, no work, then brown-nose. Are you kidding me?

Clean house in HR.

My experience was tumultuous. The company went from public to private and I had 4 different Directors in one year.

Former Employee - Federal Certifications Program Manager in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Federal Certifications Program Manager in Washington, DC

I worked at Blue Coat Systems full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I knew people I had worked with from previous work experiences. My first Director was awesome but she left. I loved the work as this was in my area of expertise and I got to travel and speak on the company's behalf and make a difference in sales to the government and military sectors.

Cons

Company is not focused, has too many changeovers, did not understand my role and how it could impact their business. This was a new position and had I experiences consistency in product and program managers, and able to ensure the understanding of their release cycle and the importance of building security into the development processes, it could have been much better and they would be better placed for strategic sales. Too many people interfered and without solid direction, they are not going to achieve what is necessary to grow this sales area, on a global basis.

Get out and talk to your salespeople, understand the Federal market and what it takes just to have the opportunity to do business. Stop living in your glass houses and communicate the direction of where the company is going to your resources because silence causes unrest, insecurity and confusion.

Stay far away from here

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at Blue Coat Systems full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Not many pros of working at Bluecoat
    Some very talented engineers and support engineers.
    Established Product Line and Federal Customers

Cons

No job security...Cut Throat Management..."Culture of Fear"

Treat individuals with respect and promote career growth and employees will work

Not a tobe company for web/mobile developers

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Blue Coat Systems full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Sunnyvale Area, Good company for h1b folks.

Cons

A closed company for people in UI/web/mobile frontend development. No acknowledgement for good work done... may be not in core line of business.

Try to allocate right jobs to right people. STOP considering people as mere resource!!!

Things are changing for the better

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Blue Coat Systems full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Individuals definitely make a difference. Lots of interesting work and very talented development people. New executive team is focused and executes well. Goals are pushed down and managers are given the responsibility to decide what needs to be done to align with them. Managers care about their people. Morale is on the rise. Dev gets free lunch on Thursdays. You are never bored. Everyone can grow in this environment.

Cons

We are a private company so there's no stock. The facility is a drag. There is too much process at times. The hiring process is tedious. The company needs to be more quality-focused. Need more PMs and program managers.

You're doing the right things. Keep it up and start recognizing your quality folks.

eaten alive by internal politics, poor focus and execution

Former Employee - Senior Staff Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Staff Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at Blue Coat Systems full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

BlueCoat had a great market foothold with their one-box solution, and it's possible they'll retain enough of that edge while they retool their product line.

Cons

BlueCoat squandered their market position by continually shuffling their engineering presence across geographies due to an inability to acknowledge and resolve internal political disputes that eventually strangled their technology advantage. Going private and attempting to rebuild their product from scratch didn't resolve or minimize this crippling issue.

Either shut down the Sunnyvale engineering presence, or the Waterloo engineering presence. There is too much bad blood between those geographies to ever get the productivity necessary to justify having them both. Middle management has never been upwardly honest about the realities of how bad the situation actually is.

Restructuring, causing an unpleasant work atmosphere

Current Employee - Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Blue Coat Systems full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Restructuring, improving performance, great employees. The employees that still work here are awesome. I have made a lot of friends here and enjoy the people.

Cons

Poor management direction, lack of employee benefits (compared to before). The upper management doesn't seem to care about the future of the company, only the short term profit. They have removed a lot of the free drinks and food provided, eliminated the cafe area, made the gym smaller and have few events for the employees.

Grow the company for long term success, relay those goals to the employees and provide a long term road map for the employees.

It's getting better every day...

I have been working at Blue Coat Systems full-time

Pros

- Since going private this year the management has stabilized and improved.
    - I have a feeling that the management actually cares about the employees.
    - Communication is now more open and even welcomed.
    - We are going though a major upgrade of the development process in a way that seems to make sense.
    - I'm free to do my job well and contribute to improving the process/environment around me.

Cons

- The free lunch is not every day