Blue Coat Systems

Updated November 11, 2014
3.5

Blue Coat Systems CEO Greg Clark
Greg Clark

Pros
  • Good work life balance, fairly transparent, good focus on innovation (in 9 reviews)

• Great talent and smart people work here (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior management, especially the President/COO, are shady (in 7 reviews)

• Deceptiveness from senior / middle management (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Solving challenging problems in Internet security

Current Employee - Software Architect in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Software Architect in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Blue Coat Systems full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The great thing about working at Blue Coat is the unique combination of problems / skills we get to work on. Blue Coat is working in application level network security, which means gaining a deep understanding of web-based protocols and even individual web sites and applications.

There is also a long history of performance and acceleration work at Blue Coat which layers on another completely different set of technologies and skills.

Finally, we use a custom-built OS which has its own unique learning opportunities.

Cons

Without a doubt we have come through some challenges in recent months.

Since February there has been a nearly complete "change of guard" at the highest levels in the company, and while the new management has laid out their vision and strategy for the company, there is still a little bit of a feeling that we are adrift.

There has been a lot of turnover at all levels and that has left some areas pretty short-staffed. We have a lot of open positions right now and we need to fill those so we don't feel like we are trying to do too much.

Do a better job of communicating the overall strategy for the company and how individual people and teams fit into that. Part of this probably means being more focused and don't try to do too much.

Do everything possible to replace open positions.

I enjoy coming to work!

Current Employee - Executive Assistant in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Executive Assistant in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Blue Coat Systems full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I love it here not only because I love what I do, but I enjoy the people I work with. Blue Coat has great employees, a laid back environment, flexibility in schedules, an understanding of family, an excellent product and an Executive team that is not the usual OMG the CEO is coming in lets be on our best behavior and roll out the red carpet.

Cons

Nothing comes to mind at this time.

so so

Current Employee - SQA in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - SQA in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Blue Coat Systems full-time (more than an year)

Pros

not much work pressure after privatization

Cons

after privatization, not much incentive for employees

fair and honest

Wish I'd known what I was getting into before joining

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at Blue Coat Systems full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great location, nice facility, decent pay, good benefits.

Cons

During my time at Blue Coat I never felt as if I belonged, there was vibe there that I couldn’t quite figure out. People do not interact with each other, there’s no polite “hello” as you pass in the hall, no small talk at the coffee station, nothing. I worked there for over two years and even after all that time I had no idea what the people literally in the row next to me did for the company. Each department worked completely independently from the others, communication across the organization was non-existent. Meetings would occur, people would show up, sit there, take no notes, read their email on their laptop or phone, leave the meeting and that was it, zero follow up on any action items. The systems were in dire need of an overhaul, a lot of manual process because the systems were not synched with each other and no one was interested in making that better. The overriding culture was management by intimidation, if anyone dared challenge a decision or question anything they were scolded. People would even go so far as to throw around their weight by dropping the CEO’s name when discussing a project, basically saying that if there was any push back they were going to tattle. Ridiculous for adults to behave that way, but it happened. The day I left Blue Coat I felt as though a huge weight had been lifted off my shoulders, one that I hadn’t fully realized was there until it was gone.

Now that the company has been bought and is private again, my advice would be to use this as an opportunity for a complete overhaul. There is definitely dead weight there, people who have been getting by because of who they know when in reality they provide no value to the company. Also pick a direction and stick to it on the product side, don’t try to have your hands in so many different things, it’s too confusing for the market and too confusing for the employees.

bluecoat used to be a good company, but it's business start to go down since year 2011

Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Chicago, IL

I worked at Blue Coat Systems full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good to start vendor career there, as it has big install base to give you enough exposure and create your own customer relationship at vendor level

Cons

Company has no much innovations, several laid off, company is cutting budget, and being privatized by VC. Rumours in the industry is it will be several more rounds of laid off and sold out to some big giants ultimately

if you have better choice, don't choose blue coat

Blue Coat had its share of ups and downs

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Blue Coat Systems full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The overall compensation package used to be decent. The co-workers are smart people and seasoned professionals. The company typically respects work-life balance.

Cons

Over the last few years, the company had undergone too many changes at the management level. This always affected employee morale in a negative way.

Stick to a single well defined business plan and align all departments behind that.

Worse Place I have ever worked

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Blue Coat Systems

Pros

People are genuinely kind and want to do the right things. Fear causes many not to

Cons

Favoritism, no communication unless it is filtered at the top and often spun to create an effect they want. Work is not meaningful nor tied to a strategy at the company level. "Hand picked" new layer of management that seems unnecessary given the size of the company. The company overall is very political. They care about making a profit and NOT about the people

Start over, get a new executive team who knows what they are doing. Don't do what your doing just to make a buck, do it because you love building a strong company with great leaders and employees. GOOD LUCK

Challenging times at Blue Coat - uncertain with layoffs looming

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Blue Coat Systems

Pros

Despite a long history of mergers, layoffs, ups and downs, Blue Coat employees are bright, for the most part, likeable and good co-workers that believe in their product (although the customer base and market share doesn't fully share this view).

Cons

There's the history of ups and downs, layoffs, mergers and in the end, a bit of a rag-tag feel. Some of the old-timers are slightly prima-donna-ish, particularly in the top-floor corporate roles that are caught somewhere in the ether of between-function-positions. Channels teams tend to manage their business as though channel partner success is more important than product, sales and BC business success.

Blue Coat broke the rule of hiring talent - I saw 3 levels of managers (group manager, director & VP) hire talented staff ...only to have these 3 levels displaced the original 3 in layoffs. Careful who you hire here - it may be safer to hire slightly less talented people with a little less ambition.

ok

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Blue Coat Systems

Pros

nice technologies they own. wan optimization is really good. but the sales are really bad with no reason.

Cons

bad management. so many org changes often making employess worry all the time. No vision for the management.

don't make too many org changes often.

Poor Communication and Execution

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Blue Coat Systems

Pros

- Great people who are knowledgeable to work with
    - Decent facilities
    - Decent benefits

Cons

- Not a whole lot of training provided for SEs
    - Abysmal technical resources available to SEs
    - Management more interested in developing sales training to SEs rather than technical training
    - Extremely poor feature request process

Equip SEs with the tools they need to do their job well. Meaning, provide the necessary tools that SEs can use to very quickly overcome ALL technical obstacles not sales tools.