Blue Coat Systems

Blue Coat Systems Reviews

Updated Jul 3, 2014

Blue Coat Systems CEO Greg Clark

Greg Clark

Pros
  • Good work life balance, fairly transparent, good focus on innovation (in 8 reviews)

• Great talent and smart people work here (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior management, especially the President/COO, are shady (in 7 reviews)

• Deceptiveness from senior / middle management (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Nobody keeps you here, you are free to leave

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Sunnyvale, CA

ProsStable and profitable.
    Provides good working environment.
    Reasonable benefits.
    If your life is about enterprise type of products, network security and bandwidth optimization - this is for you then!

ConsManagement shuffles business units and employees between them. If you work for years on the product, know your code upside down, invested personal energy and passion into it - prepare to loose all of it as company will take it away from you in a year or two. Just to kick you out of your comfort zone. Due to a business need, of course. You don't like it - you free to go.
    Strong executive authoritative vertical.
    Target customers are not a consumer market: you have to love enterprises and corporate America.
    Politics: you can't move your finger without it. You have to know rules of game.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere is no trust in management: any talk shall be filtered. Treating engineers as their opinion is nothing does not add value in development and production.

Management by fear

Marketing Communications (Current Employee) Sunnyvale, CA

ProsFair pay, free snacks, some smart people who try hard

ConsLeaders manage by fear, are disrespectful and if you voice an opposing opinion you will be fired. If you keep your head down, stroke the ego of the CMO then you may be able to keep your job. There is little to no communication in marketing from the leader and no clear vision of where the marketing organization is going. I joined Blue Coat to make a difference and sadly the only difference I can make is to leave. Blue Coat was once a good company but based on the recent marketing leadership hire it is clear the executives do not understand the value marketing could provide. Stay away!

Advice to Senior ManagementRealize and admit the mistake you made by hiring the new CMO and get rid of him before he causes any more damage. Clearly a guy who cares more about his (awful) hair than the company can only cause damage!

Good Place to be

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Sunnyvale, CA

Pros- Fast pace environment
    - Nice people
    - Helpful too

Cons- Too much politics and grouping
    - Difficult to survive
    - Favoritism

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

we could be better

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Sunnyvale, CA

Prosthe technology we work on and the engineering team competence

Consfire drill management all the time

Advice to Senior Managementneed new operational exec management

Mangement team has no direction on where the company should go.

QA Engineer (Former Employee) Sunnyvale, CA

ProsPeople I am working with are nice.

ConsA huge management team is leading a few engineers who need to do lots projects.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere are way more VPs, Dirctors than it should.

Stay away

Account Manager (Former Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsGood products with a good reputation though very little new products in the pipeline. Good channel program though the lack of new products is hurting. Good benefits.

ConsVery poor leadership starting at the top. In my 12 months I saw 10+ managers from the Western Region leave, some were let go though most left......I had 3 mgrs during my 12 month stay. And the Sr. Management team is still there (they now have a new CEO) so the common denominator is Sr. Mgt. Until they change I would stay away.

Advice to Senior ManagementTo the new CEO, you really need to ask, why is everyone leaving? Why do you have such high turnover in both field reps and field managers? Why is the moral so low? Answer, Sr. Mgt. which has not changed in the past 2 yrs. They have their head in the sand!

QA

Q Engineer (Current Employee) Sunnyvale, CA

ProsJob has been stable since I joined.

ConsNo fixed process and always changing landscape

Advice to Senior ManagementMore process and fairness

Glad to not be there anymore.....

Program Management (Former Employee) Sunnyvale, CA

ProsLocation in Silicon Valley is convenient.
    You can work from home.

ConsYou will be miserable here in a very short time. The environment is chaotic, highly political, unprofessional, confrontational, disfunctional....

If you are unexperienced, then you may be able to cope. If you have been around and worked at good companies before, you will not like this kind of company. .

Advice to Senior ManagementThe CEO went to the Mktg dept and fired almost the entire group. This is how you do things. No reason, strategy, long term view, or realization for the impact of your poor decisions. In 2 years, you have lost top key talent (VP HR, SVP Mktg, CFO, CIO, VP Product Mktg, VP Prog Mgmt, SVP Engr, VP Mkt OPS, VP Sales, VP Engr...and the list goes on and on). I would suggest to the board that the entire executive staff is let go and new blood is brought in with better judgement skills for running a successful company (people+technology).

Good place to work and learn new technology

Senior Program Manager (Current Employee) Sunnyvale, CA

ProsCutting edge technology, a great place to learn, great health benefits, good support of environmental initiatives, attracts smart people, nice headquarter culture.

Conschanges strategy all the time. Limited opportunity for career advancement. Management tends to hire from the outside,

Advice to Senior ManagementTends to be high volume of chiefs and not enough indians. .

Good place to learn but pay less than the market

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Sunnyvale, CA

ProsEasy to know what people work on. Good technical exposure.

ConsThey pay less than the market. They cannot handle their size after the acquisitions - so very unorganized. Management is in their own world and they are disrespectful towards the engineers who are just treated as commodity. The place is quiet political and a lot of energy is wasted in that.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement is hopeless and they know it !

Worked for Blue Coat Systems? Contribute to the Community!