Blue Cross Blue Shield of Illinois

Updated April 20, 2015
92 reviews filtered by
3.3
Karen M. Atwood

Pros
  • The pay is definitely good with great benefits and bonuses as well (in 9 reviews)

• Good benefits, ability to glean solid healthcare experience, pace is hectic at times (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/Life Balance depending on your supervisor, on boarding can be a little disorganized (in 3 reviews)

• Upper management can be unresponsive (in 3 reviews)

1. Analyst

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Blue Cross Blue Shield of Illinois part-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good people who are invested in their work.

Cons

Overstaffed and reluctant to let people go.

2. "Great Company to work for"

I have been working at Blue Cross Blue Shield of Illinois full-time

Pros

"Good people. Good work environment."

Cons

"Pay could be better for certain jobs"

3. Great pay as a contractor but mediocre standards for training development and work environment.

Former Contractor - Instructional Designer in Chicago, IL
    Former Contractor - Instructional Designer in Chicago, IL

I worked at Blue Cross Blue Shield of Illinois as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Downtown location, cafeteria, and health club in the basement. If you can navigate the politics, great projects to work on. Great pay!

Cons

Depending on the department you work for, you could get a wonderful manager or the dragon lady. Need to follow their own ethics guidelines for fair practices and provide a more positive work environment.

Advice to Management

Weed out your upper management people who have a history of complaints lodged with Human Resources. Can you say "early retirement"?

5. Coworkers tend to be very easy to interact with

I have been working at Blue Cross Blue Shield of Illinois full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Insurance benefits and other worker benefits are milked for employee benefit

Cons

Pay tends to be well below industry average

Advice to Management

Realize value of each worker

6. This is a good place to work.

I have been working at Blue Cross Blue Shield of Illinois

Pros

Management expectations are well-communicated to employees.

Cons

It is a very structured work environment.

Advice to Management

Think outside the box sometimes.

7. It has been interesting.

Current Employee - Specialist
    Current Employee - Specialist

I have been working at Blue Cross Blue Shield of Illinois full-time

Pros

Helping the members
    We are now union.

Cons

Our work can no shipped off at any time which can allow us to close.

Advice to Management

You should consider your membership before making changes to affect their lively hood.

Good company, good benefits

I worked at Blue Cross Blue Shield of Illinois

Pros

Great pay, great raises, some decent bosses.

Cons

To many related people work there. Anyone with family in the Manager and higher grad get relatives hired. Even though it is not allowed. Some bosses are bad, speaking down to you. Rotating shifts. Special people selected for specific calls (who didn't deserve to be there based of skills), others forced to go somewhere they do not want to be. Cannot miss more than 40 unscheduled hours. Need death certificate if family member dies. Give a hard time over FMLA. No option to move higher within the company unless you are related to someone, kiss some ones butt, or have inter office romance. Training is not helpful. Team leads are not helpful and nasty to you. Even though they are suppose to help.

Advice to Management

You have a lot of people hooked due to the good pay and good benefits. Especially in small towns. The systems are out of date and slow. Management is never responsible for their actions. Twice a month meetings to go over none helpful information is a waste. To many related people are hired on. Even though it is not allowed. In the same department. No options to move around or up.

9. excellent company to work for

I have been working at Blue Cross Blue Shield of Illinois

Pros

excellent staff and they attend to customer needs

Cons

consultants stincts are too short

I was able to remove the wool from my eyes less than a week out of training...

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant

I have been working at Blue Cross Blue Shield of Illinois

Pros

Decent pay. Although I don't have much interaction with other teams at our office, they have been incredibly welcoming and friendly to us newcomers.

Cons

The job I applied, interviewed, and was hired for was for daytime 8:00-4:30, but about a week out of training, the team was informed that we would need to take on evening shifts as well as late as 8:00PM. This seems highly unfair that this requirement was not mentioned once during the interview especially since I had been clear that I could not work evening shifts.
    We are given a project and told to rush through it to produce "numbers". Once we've finished the assigned project, we're left to create our own busy work until the next project comes to us.
    There are too many people that are unfamiliar with the needs and flow of our work to have them make decisions on how the work should be done. This leads to very severe micromanaging. It has also created an environment where there is zero stability. No process has remained in place for more than a couple days at most.

Advice to Management

Change is a wonderful thing when it is productive and aimed at growth, improvement, and efficiency--NOT when this shifts into constant turmoil. Listen to us little people! What you think of as complaints are actually wonderful pieces of advice/constructive criticism. Sit in our seats and shadow our work for a short time so you can see the process from beginning to end before you start recommending changes. Rushing us to complete work does not bolster numbers, it HURTS them. We feel like we have to race to reach a red light!

The absolute worst place you could ever work for!!

Former Employee - Claims Examiner in Danville, IL
    Former Employee - Claims Examiner in Danville, IL

I worked at Blue Cross Blue Shield of Illinois

Pros

Great benefits great co workers great fitness strives to make the workplace better and take out frustration

Cons

Supervisors dont do their job, they wander all day everyday and take 3 hour lunches
    They expect you to not get up for ANYTHING, even if you going to get a drink or use the restroom
    No one can give you a straight answer, they are always pointing fingers at each other

Advice to Management

Do some work instead of standing around talking about going out and partying the night before; its a workplace not a bar or your home.
    Be polite not rude and disrespectful everytime you talk to someone. Also dont point fingers at each other. Take responsibility for yourself. Last but not least follow your own procedures and policies.