Blue Cross Blue Shield of Illinois

Updated November 21, 2014
Updated November 21, 2014
3.1

Karen M. Atwood

Pros
  • The pay is definitely good with great benefits and bonuses as well (in 9 reviews)

• Good benefits, ability to glean solid healthcare experience, pace is hectic at times (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/Life Balance depending on your supervisor, on boarding can be a little disorganized (in 3 reviews)

• Upper management can be unresponsive (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Honest and Caring

I worked at Blue Cross Blue Shield of Illinois

Pros

Excellent culture of service and honesty.

Cons

I don't know of anything in the "con" category.

Not a bad place

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Blue Cross Blue Shield of Illinois full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The pay is definitely good with great benefits and bonuses as well. Some positions are able to work from home.

Cons

Some people are able to work from home, but there are positions that could do their work from home but aren't given this privilege. I have worked at a few very large companies but have never been in a place that is as boring as BCBS. The people are nice but I can't stress enough how quiet and boring this place is - maybe it's only the department I work in but there are few people I would ever talk to outside of the workplace.

If you're going to let some positions work remotely it should be at least considered for other positions that can do the job from home. I would also add don't seem so unapproachable. With the exception of the Chief Compliance officer who constantly stresses his open door policy, I wouldn't feel comfortable talking to any upper management.

Senior Web Application Development Specialist

Former Employee - Senior Web Applications Development Specialist in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Senior Web Applications Development Specialist in Chicago, IL

I worked at Blue Cross Blue Shield of Illinois full-time (less than an year)

Pros

easy work deadlines
    dumb managers ( yes, it is an advantage, if you know what I mean)
    In fact not many pros for this place

Cons

Low employee to amount of work ratio.
    Lots of responsibilities(incl. prod. support) for employees while Contractors are having very good time
    Almost paralyzed mid level management
    Rigid management style (either my way or high way)
    No gradual launch into their health industry domain knowledge(Just jump and swim)
    Don't care if you want to leave. No exit interview.
    Dysfunctional company
    No clue about employee satisfaction
    When they set deliverables deadlines, they don't really mean it. Yes, it is very confusing.
    Lot of red tape. Even for small thing, need to open several help desk tickets.

Since BCBSIL uses inhouse development, first get the recommended ration of employee to contractors. Wake up the mid level management. They don't help improve the process at all, but immersed in daylong meetings achieving nothing. Get a separate team to do product support operations. Employees with less than 5 yr time with the company can't do it, meaningfully.

Finance/Budget. Not so great place to work.

Current Employee - Budget/Finance in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Budget/Finance in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Blue Cross Blue Shield of Illinois full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Made friends at work. Some coworkers are very helpful.

Cons

Everyone is corrupted. From HR to management to VP. Too much nepotism and only those who managers like get to be promoted. Management reduce work force and have currents employees do more work and the profit is only share between them. Profit made is not used to promote employees but rather share among upper managements. It's sad for a non profit organization.

Stop looking for their best interest and neglecting employees. Stop covering up others management mistakes. Be ethical and not discriminate. Be honest.

BCBS

Current Employee - BA in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - BA in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Blue Cross Blue Shield of Illinois as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Good people, good pay, great resources, good location.

Cons

Unqualified management that creates confusion, unrealistic expectations, poor communication and guidance, Overtime expected with little notice, very demanding and they expected perfection. Disappointed with all the great perks, there is constant budget cuts and changing their minds so did not know exactly what they wanted.

Use your team by communicating what you need and leave room for learning and growth, don't make rash decisions/judgments.

A company that always does right by its customers

Current Employee - Account Executive in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Blue Cross Blue Shield of Illinois full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Solid financially, beautiful location on Chicago's lakefront.

Cons

Lack of promotion opportunity due to low turnover.

Teradata DBA

Current Employee - Database Analyst in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Database Analyst in Chicago, IL

Pros

This job is for Teradata Database Administrator. Lots of tiers of management. Great company benefits for insurance and 401K.

Cons

They expect you to be online or available even after hours and during the weekends. Too many tiers of managements.

Provide more in depth training to the new hires.

Good company to work for

Current Employee - Project Coordinator in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Project Coordinator in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Blue Cross Blue Shield of Illinois full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The environment is very corporate as far as management and hierarchy but the work space is mostly open for creative thinking and ideas. There are great benefits and the pay is competitive. There can be room for growth dependent on how eager you are to work for it and put yourself out there. Most management and employees are very friendly, personable, and take your best interest into consideration.

Cons

Depending on the area of work the hours can be long. I have contributed to projects that have required me to work weekends/late nights/holiday and can be extremely stressful. Leadership will not recognize you unless you make known what special thing you have done...

Recognize who is actually adding value to the company and reward them accordingly.

Terrible work experience with really old technology stack

Former Employee - Performance Engineer in Naperville, IL
    Former Employee - Performance Engineer in Naperville, IL

I worked at Blue Cross Blue Shield of Illinois as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

Not many except WFH policy is good.

Cons

Really lame technology stack being used with engineers who are not very adept in their skills. A few QA people I worked with didn't even know how to ping a server. Imagine that! That's how incompetent the people working at BCBSIL are. There's not much you'd learn here in terms of cutting edge technology. Still using waterfall SDLC which is so outdated now. A lot depends on who you know instead of what you know.

Pay good money and get good people onboard instead of getting 3 incompetent people with crappy pay.

Great work place

I have been working at Blue Cross Blue Shield of Illinois as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

Nice management, Long term projects

Cons

time off policies, no remote working or work from home