Blue Cross Blue Shield of Minnesota

www.bluecrossmn.com

Blue Cross Blue Shield of Minnesota Reviews

Updated Jul 26, 2014

Michael Guyette

Pros
  • Very flexible schedules and accommodating of work/life balance(in 13 reviews)

• Enjoyed working there for many years, good people, good environment, good benefits, good support(in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Slow to implement changes in business processes and to provide resources needed to compete with other national health care companies(in 3 reviews)

• communication between management and upper management(in 3 reviews)

Great Place to Work

ProsBCBSMN has fabulous working environment. Team Members are very comfortable to work with. Great Work life balance.

ConsNothing I can think of.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf we could have regular updates via Internal Blogs, that would be much appreciated.

Dysfunctional, age discrimination

Project Manager (Former Employee) Eagan, MN

ProsIt was a good place to work where everyone wanted to succeed and not let anyone fail.

ConsBecame numbers conscious and let go employees with institutional memory on behalf of making the average employee age 40.
    Subsequently poor marketing communications leadership was put in place carrying out this financial correction strategy. I understand they too have been part of workforce reduction and the team is being reorganized once again.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe human. Make decisions that are long term.

Great Internship Program, "safe" company

Technology Service Intern (Current Employee) Eagan, MN

ProsPay and Benefits are good
    Flexible Schedule
    Good Internship program
    People are nice
    Very relaxed environment
    Good industry

Cons"whats in it for me" attitude when working with other departments
    Very old age range of employees
    Very old software and applications

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Environment

IT Intern (Current Employee) Eagan, MN

ProsAlways making sure employees are working in the areas they want. Very casual business dress.

ConsOlder staff aren't very open to new ideas

The salary worth the amount of micro managing tha occurs.

Customer Service (Former Employee) Eagan, MN

ProsI cannot think of one pro.

ConsFavoritism between managers and employees. The number of calls is more important than providing great customer service to the members and they want the calls short and if the members calls back, you will get talked to by your manager.

Rampant age discrimination

ProsGreat local mission. Very tolerant of different employee types, i.e. idiosyncrasies, etc.

ConsHigh turnover at all levels. Poor technology platform. Confused governance. Poor advancement for highly skilled, senior level staff. Specifically excluded.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou might need to keep your senior level brain trust. Be cautious on blanket acceptance of ideas from your HR Dept.

Fantastic place to work, great people, great culture

Project Manager (Current Employee) Eagan, MN

ProsVery pragmatic and results oriented teams, and ethical respectful leadership.
    Office politicians aren't tolerated and don't last long.
    Working here imparts a strong sense of doing meaningful and valuable work for your community.

ConsMoney for projects is very tight, and most IT projects are on hold because nearly all IT staff are working on healthcare exchange related projects.
    Very few perks - no free coffee.
    No stock options, because there is no stock. Company is a non-profit owned by the state of Minnesota.

Advice to Senior ManagementYour focus on positive culture and work/life balance are very much appreciated by your employees. Keep up the good work.

Overall, good employer but a bit behind on the times when it comes to technology.

Senior Project Manager (Current Employee) Eagan, MN

ProsVery flexible schedules and accommodating of work/life balance. Great values and commitment to the community, as a whole. Volunteer PTO is a huge bonus and a great way to give back.

ConsThe population is a bit older and the pace seems very slow. Technology systems are dated. It's difficult to push initiatives forward due to behind-the-times technology and competing projects to get systems up to par in the exchange environment.

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove technology systems and consider increasing the pay scale in order to be competitive with other health plans in the Twin Cities area.

Overall Nice

ProsFlexible timing, Friendly Environment, Good Ambiance, Knowledgeable & Friendly seniors

ConsNothing much to hsare regarding Cons as it's been just 2 yrs working here that too as Contractor

working here is nice experience. People are helpful as well as understanding.

BSA (Current Employee) Eagan, MN

ProsFlexible schedule, helpful management, work enviornment

ConsFast changing working plans, as a contractor not able to explore more about company.

Worked for Blue Cross Blue Shield of Minnesota? Contribute to the Community!