Blue Cross Blue Shield of Minnesota

Updated November 24, 2014
Updated November 24, 2014
3.2

Michael Guyette

Pros
  • Very flexible schedules and accommodating of work/life balance (in 13 reviews)

• Enjoyed working there for many years, good people, good environment, good benefits, good support (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Slow to implement changes in business processes and to provide resources needed to compete with other national health care companies (in 3 reviews)

• communication between management and upper management (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

HR

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Blue Cross Blue Shield of Minnesota

Pros

Great environment to learn from seasoned professionals

Cons

Diversity could be better but currently working on it.

Keep doing what you're doing!

Claim Research Specialist II

Current Employee - Claims Research Specialist II in Eagan, MN
    Current Employee - Claims Research Specialist II in Eagan, MN

I have been working at Blue Cross Blue Shield of Minnesota full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits and ability to move in to other departments.

Cons

Lack of communication between management. Pay and raises are not realistic for today's cost of living.

Be more open to the employees advice. More flexibility.

Great experience. Ability to work with many different departments.

I worked at Blue Cross Blue Shield of Minnesota as an intern

Pros

Great pay, great benefits, great walking paths and gym.

Cons

A lot of people here have been here 20+ years and are set in their ways. Not open to a lot of change needed to keep up with the healthcare industry.

Get your employees to adapt better to change.

Good

I have been working at Blue Cross Blue Shield of Minnesota

Pros

Very challenging project, and everyone is nice

Cons

Slow paced environment. Pay is on the low end

Customer Service Rep Review

Former Employee - Health Guide in Eagan, MN

I worked at Blue Cross Blue Shield of Minnesota full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Outside of the service department, the company appears to be great. Great campus to work on, multiple fitness centers, great cafeteria's focused on healthy options.

Cons

Working as a Health Guide in the contact center started out all right, perhaps because I had such a positive outlook on finally having an office job(yes, I actually love the idea of an office job!). However, after going through open enrollment, those positive thoughts have gone away. I think most of us thought that after open enrollment ended, things would get better. Ha!! Things have only gotten worse! MNSure and BCBSMN were not prepared for the exchange. Unbelievable processing time for members. This isn't a review for mnsure, so I won't even get into dealing with them. If you had a question and your tech resources weren't available, then you had to email in your issue and tell the member you'd give them a callback. But then, you were never given any time to make those callbacks, resulting in getting members on the line that were furious because they were told they'd get that callback. You are given after call work time, that if not done within a standard amount of time, you'd have supervisors IMing you telling you to go available. After being on a 45 minute call with someone that needed research done, you'd be given maybe 2-3 minutes after hanging up with the member to close up your piece. It's very unlikely that supervisors will take escalated calls from members. We are told to own our calls and de-escalate the situation in order to avoid them having to take it. We're told, "well, there's nothing more I can do about it, so I don't know what they expect me to do."

BILLING. Oh my god I could write a book on the billing issues that have been occurring. Blue Cross decided to implement a new billing system a few months back. This was one of the worst decisions and whoever decided that this system was a good idea should be fired. If the member is on eft, sometimes finance will pull two months instead of one, and then because "the system" won't generate a refund right away, the members have to wait a month or so before their refund will go out. You can try to email finance to get an answer on an issue, and if you send it as an urgent, you MIGHT be lucky to get a response in two weeks. And guess what that response is?? "The issue has been resolved." So, they don't get back to you until after your question has been answered on it's own. Member's policies have been terminated due to billing errors. Member's that had requested to be cancelled a month prior, and who's policies were cancelled, still are having money pulled out of their account.

Good luck getting any time off. PTO has to be approved, but you pretty much have to request your day off 90 days out, or else good luck getting it approved. If you want to take some unpaid approved time off, you can only request that 3 days in advance, and there is NO WAY that they will ever approve that. If you call in sick, and have PTO in your "bank" you HAVE to use that time, you can't choose to take it as unpaid. God forbid you be allowed to use your time as you'd like. And if you have to call off of work too many times, you will written up and put on a 90 day probationary period. (I get there has to be guidelines, but unless you work there, it's hard to explain how awful the time off system is).

Start actually listening to your employees, respond to our concerns and give us the proper back up to take care of our member's issues.

Great learning experience!

Current Employee - Human Resources Intern in Eagan, MN
    Current Employee - Human Resources Intern in Eagan, MN

I have been working at Blue Cross Blue Shield of Minnesota full-time (less than an year)

Pros

flexible work schedule, freedom to create projects, amazing mentor, a lot of intern functions, leadership visibility, true and meaningful work, appreciated as a coworker and not as "just another intern"

Cons

very tradition company, lots of resistance to change

Poor Customer Service morale

Former Employee - Health Guide in Eagan, MN

I worked at Blue Cross Blue Shield of Minnesota full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Insurance, wellness benefits, nice campus, clean buildings. My coworkers were the only thing that kept me at the company for so long. Outside of service the morale seemed to be much higher and people seemed to enjoy their jobs. Service is always a little bit less fun (more rules for phone coverage etc) but people moped openly about going to their desk.

Cons

We were expected to maintain perfect audits on phone calls, impossible wrap up times while documenting exceptionally detailed conversations and you are micro managed to death. There is someone constantly breathing down your neck, weekly meetings with your supervisor about how you're failing (they do not praise) to meet company standards and constant guilt trips if you miss a single day due to illness. There is a very high turn around and everyone is miserable. The people who have been there longest are the main issues and we had to constantly clean up after they'd messed an account up. Its a very high stress environment and a lot of information to remember and remember 100% accurately. Constant changes in healthcare rulings and poor planning on BCBS's part created a lag in information and often came back to bite you in the butt as you were the one to take the call. I was very good at my job and never had issues and it was still very stressful- for the pay they were giving I should have been making double. I never received a raise in the years I was there and they did not appear to want to offer one. It was very difficult to post out into a new job or receive any sort of PTO as it had to be approved by people who seemed very biased.

Stop micromanaging, listen to your employees and praise them for their efforts. Most of them are keeping the department afloat for you.

Company lives by their mission "We make a healthy difference in people's lives"

Current Employee - Admin Assistant in Eagan, MN
    Current Employee - Admin Assistant in Eagan, MN

I have been working at Blue Cross Blue Shield of Minnesota full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Personal growth opportunitites are amazing - you are in charge of your career and BCBSMN supports life-long learning. The Blue U (University) offers many free trainings.

Cons

There are five buildings in Eagan and it bites to go to meetings in those other buildings (especially in the winter) and lose your parking space.

Love the transparency of the Strategic Plan and how visible everyone's goals are and how they fit into the plan. Makes us feel like our job has an impact in the organization

Great benefits, behind the times in Technology and Flexibility

Current Employee - Account Manager in Eagan, MN
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Eagan, MN

I have been working at Blue Cross Blue Shield of Minnesota full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The salary and benefits are pretty competitive in the Sales area. Most coworkers are great to work with. The company has a focus on Health of Employees, The workout room is great. Parking and security make me feel safe and secure.

Cons

Micro managers, no flexibility, behind the times.

Offer flexibility to salary positions instead of claim examiners.

Contractor Hell

Current Employee - Service Desk Technician
    Current Employee - Service Desk Technician

Pros

there is nothing positive about this company for any contractor.

Cons

If you are hired to work for Blue Cross in Minnesota as a contractor. You will be treated as a dog/slave. You will have little to no rights in the company and the company that is contracting you out to blue cross is making just as much as you are per hour. You are and will always be treated horribly and this can be considered illegal. The amount of maltreatment that go’s on at this company for all contractors goes to show you how they value there employees. If any contractor voices an issue or makes a non-contractor employee look really bad at their job you will be fired and replaced with someone who will be more compliant. There is so much illegal activity that involves contractors and the lack of human rights make a person wander who got paid off for this to continue to happen…

Treat everyone the same and fallow the laws of the land.

Blue Cross Blue Shield of Minnesota Photos