Blue Cross Blue Shield of Minnesota

www.bluecrossmn.com

Blue Cross Blue Shield of Minnesota Reviews

Updated Jul 18, 2014

Michael Guyette

Pros
  • Very flexible schedules and accommodating of work/life balance(in 13 reviews)

• Enjoyed working there for many years, good people, good environment, good benefits, good support(in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Slow to implement changes in business processes and to provide resources needed to compete with other national health care companies(in 3 reviews)

• communication between management and upper management(in 3 reviews)

Company lives by their mission "We make a healthy difference in people's lives"

Admin Assistant (Current Employee) Eagan, MN

ProsPersonal growth opportunitites are amazing - you are in charge of your career and BCBSMN supports life-long learning. The Blue U (University) offers many free trainings.

ConsThere are five buildings in Eagan and it bites to go to meetings in those other buildings (especially in the winter) and lose your parking space.

Advice to Senior ManagementLove the transparency of the Strategic Plan and how visible everyone's goals are and how they fit into the plan. Makes us feel like our job has an impact in the organization

Great benefits, behind the times in Technology and Flexibility

Account Manager (Current Employee) Eagan, MN

ProsThe salary and benefits are pretty competitive in the Sales area. Most coworkers are great to work with. The company has a focus on Health of Employees, The workout room is great. Parking and security make me feel safe and secure.

ConsMicro managers, no flexibility, behind the times.

Advice to Senior ManagementOffer flexibility to salary positions instead of claim examiners.

Led PR and External Communications for state's largest health plan as director of PR, overseeing a staff of five.

Director Public Relations (Current Employee) Saint Paul, MN

ProsGreat brand, mission-driven, innovative organization with solid leadership, tradition of leadership.

ConsChallenging environment implementing the Affordable Care Act and managing a dynamic health care marketplace.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on core strengths-- innovation, ethics, resiliency-- amidst constant and turbulent marketforce changes.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

great place to work

Software Developer (Former Employee) Saint Paul, MN

Prosco workers are very friendly and it is a great place to work at. Time flexibility is the one thing i enjoyed most while working as a software developer. I would recommend to others

Consold technology even though there is pros of co workers are very friendly and it is a great place to work at. Time flexibility is the one thing i enjoyed most while working as a software developer. I would recommend to others

Advice to Senior Managementgood management

Blue Cross Blue Shield of Minnesota has been a fun and exciting to place to work at.

ProsGreat people, great facilities and good compensation.

ConsChanging priorities… the fact that they recognize that change is needed in some areas is a good thing though.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to do what you're doing.

So-so

ProsBenefits are good, especially if you have a family.

ConsBureaucratic, slow to change, technology is uneven.

Sr Financial Analyst

Sr Financial Analyst (Former Employee) Eagan, MN

ProsGood people in contributor roles. Facilities good. Seems to be community minded.

ConsHorrible Finance managers. I was warned from day one that the manager of my area was difficult, self-centered, and played favorite. All were correct. I was scolded like a child for checking the time on my phone during a meeting. Every day was like walking on egg shells. Glad I'm no longer there!

Advice to Senior ManagementGet good leaders in place that don't blame everyone else for their own faults. They were all "me" people.

Sr. Data Migration Analyst

Senior Data Migration Analyst (Former Employee) Minneapolis, MN

ProsGood working culture, helpful colleagues, and good benefits

ConsLaid back environment, very old technologies

Depending on your department it's either a great place or hell..

Senior Technical Engineer (Former Employee) Eagan, MN

ProsGood compensation and solid benefits

ConsA lack of unified management philosophy create islands of greatness or sadness. If you're working in some IT areas you have great management and great people while others seem like a bad high school movie with gossip and backbiting.

Advice to Senior ManagementLife work balance is either a corporate value or it is not. You can't have some managers respect peoples lives and others demand their team be on call 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year.

Membership

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat co-workers, clean environment (keeping in mind you take out your own garbage daily), good working hours for many years - recently though management made a decision to enforce what ever they felt like works best for them not the employees anymore.

ConsBad leadership, short staffed, totally unprepared for the "Obama" Health Care Act or AHA, very STRESSFUL with bad leadership causing additional unneeded stress on the employees, require way more work from the employees then any leadership, with low pay. TOP HEAVY!! Benefits are far from fabulous - insurance is expensive, on-site daycare expensive, retirement plan a JOKE. Very little to NO appreciation for working over an above what is expected. Constant micro-managing employees, no trust!

Advice to Senior ManagementEmpathy, hold true to the company words of FAMILY FIRST - the work will always be there tomorrow! STOP the micro managing - go back to TRUSTING your employees - their are still great people on this earth!

Worked for Blue Cross Blue Shield of Minnesota? Contribute to the Community!