Blue Cross Blue Shield of Minnesota

Updated January 26, 2015
Updated January 26, 2015
3.2

Michael Guyette

Pros
  • Very flexible schedules and accommodating of work/life balance (in 13 reviews)

• Enjoyed working there for many years, good people, good environment, good benefits, good support (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Slow to implement changes in business processes and to provide resources needed to compete with other national health care companies (in 3 reviews)

• communication between management and upper management (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

work Atmosphere

Former Employee - Business Analyst in Eagan, MN
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in Eagan, MN

I worked at Blue Cross Blue Shield of Minnesota as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

employee friendly
    helping culture
    Lot of opportunities to learn

Cons

People engagement activities are very rare

A great company to work for

Former Employee - Business Account Analyst in Saint Paul, MN
    Former Employee - Business Account Analyst in Saint Paul, MN

I worked at Blue Cross Blue Shield of Minnesota (less than a year)

Pros

Great culture and work life balance

Cons

Compensation is a little lower than national average

6 CEO in 6 Years. Lots of changes in direction

I worked at Blue Cross Blue Shield of Minnesota

Pros

Majority of Market share in MN

Cons

computers are very antiquated and inflexible

Get some management training at the middle levels. Consider management over relationships

HR

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Blue Cross Blue Shield of Minnesota

Pros

Great environment to learn from seasoned professionals

Cons

Diversity could be better but currently working on it.

Keep doing what you're doing!

Enter with Exit Strategy

I worked at Blue Cross Blue Shield of Minnesota full-time

Pros

Nothing stood out as reason to stay beyond basic salary and benefit packages available anywhere else.

Cons

I confirm comments made by other posters I do not know: 1) Pockets of stunning incompetence; 2) Bad high school movie with gossip and backbiting; 3) Micro Management; 4) Outdated technology; 5) Lots of chit chat lasting an hour or longer; 6) Culture that rewards complacency; 7) Passive aggressive culture without the courage (a BCBSMN value) to be effective leaders with compassion that employees want; 8) Very cloudy processes that rely more on creating more work than actually creating solutions; 9) Departmental and divisional silos that negatively impacts effective communication about commonly shared information and tasks 10) HR is not supportive of employees, they are management oriented.

I also agree with older posters that say it doesn't matter. No one listens.

Not overly bad but yet not good

Former Employee - Call Center
    Former Employee - Call Center

I worked at Blue Cross Blue Shield of Minnesota (more than 8 years)

Pros

Wages are good, faculty buildings are in good shape.

Cons

It's all about the company's bottom line not their employees. Leadership always seems it's all about our members, we have to take care of them. However they forget that their employees are also their members! Used to be a very friendly/family oriented work area. Is no longer......

Pay attention to not only what the members want/needs but also those of your employees! They are your greatest resource!!!!

Claim Research Specialist II

Current Employee - Claims Research Specialist II in Eagan, MN
    Current Employee - Claims Research Specialist II in Eagan, MN

I have been working at Blue Cross Blue Shield of Minnesota full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits and ability to move in to other departments.

Cons

Lack of communication between management. Pay and raises are not realistic for today's cost of living.

Be more open to the employees advice. More flexibility.

Great experience. Ability to work with many different departments.

I worked at Blue Cross Blue Shield of Minnesota as an intern

Pros

Great pay, great benefits, great walking paths and gym.

Cons

A lot of people here have been here 20+ years and are set in their ways. Not open to a lot of change needed to keep up with the healthcare industry.

Get your employees to adapt better to change.

Good

I have been working at Blue Cross Blue Shield of Minnesota

Pros

Very challenging project, and everyone is nice

Cons

Slow paced environment. Pay is on the low end

Customer Service Rep Review

Former Employee - Health Guide in Eagan, MN
    Former Employee - Health Guide in Eagan, MN

I worked at Blue Cross Blue Shield of Minnesota full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Outside of the service department, the company appears to be great. Great campus to work on, multiple fitness centers, great cafeteria's focused on healthy options.

Cons

Working as a Health Guide in the contact center started out all right, perhaps because I had such a positive outlook on finally having an office job(yes, I actually love the idea of an office job!). However, after going through open enrollment, those positive thoughts have gone away. I think most of us thought that after open enrollment ended, things would get better. Ha!! Things have only gotten worse! MNSure and BCBSMN were not prepared for the exchange. Unbelievable processing time for members. This isn't a review for mnsure, so I won't even get into dealing with them. If you had a question and your tech resources weren't available, then you had to email in your issue and tell the member you'd give them a callback. But then, you were never given any time to make those callbacks, resulting in getting members on the line that were furious because they were told they'd get that callback. You are given after call work time, that if not done within a standard amount of time, you'd have supervisors IMing you telling you to go available. After being on a 45 minute call with someone that needed research done, you'd be given maybe 2-3 minutes after hanging up with the member to close up your piece. It's very unlikely that supervisors will take escalated calls from members. We are told to own our calls and de-escalate the situation in order to avoid them having to take it. We're told, "well, there's nothing more I can do about it, so I don't know what they expect me to do."

BILLING. Oh my god I could write a book on the billing issues that have been occurring. Blue Cross decided to implement a new billing system a few months back. This was one of the worst decisions and whoever decided that this system was a good idea should be fired. If the member is on eft, sometimes finance will pull two months instead of one, and then because "the system" won't generate a refund right away, the members have to wait a month or so before their refund will go out. You can try to email finance to get an answer on an issue, and if you send it as an urgent, you MIGHT be lucky to get a response in two weeks. And guess what that response is?? "The issue has been resolved." So, they don't get back to you until after your question has been answered on it's own. Member's policies have been terminated due to billing errors. Member's that had requested to be cancelled a month prior, and who's policies were cancelled, still are having money pulled out of their account.

Good luck getting any time off. PTO has to be approved, but you pretty much have to request your day off 90 days out, or else good luck getting it approved. If you want to take some unpaid approved time off, you can only request that 3 days in advance, and there is NO WAY that they will ever approve that. If you call in sick, and have PTO in your "bank" you HAVE to use that time, you can't choose to take it as unpaid. God forbid you be allowed to use your time as you'd like. And if you have to call off of work too many times, you will written up and put on a 90 day probationary period. (I get there has to be guidelines, but unless you work there, it's hard to explain how awful the time off system is).

Start actually listening to your employees, respond to our concerns and give us the proper back up to take care of our member's issues.

Blue Cross Blue Shield of Minnesota Photos