Blue Cross Blue Shield of Minnesota

Updated December 9, 2014
Updated December 9, 2014
3.3

Michael Guyette

Pros
  • Very flexible schedules and accommodating of work/life balance (in 13 reviews)

• Enjoyed working there for many years, good people, good environment, good benefits, good support (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Slow to implement changes in business processes and to provide resources needed to compete with other national health care companies (in 3 reviews)

• communication between management and upper management (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Company lives by their mission "We make a healthy difference in people's lives"

Current Employee - Admin Assistant in Eagan, MN
    Current Employee - Admin Assistant in Eagan, MN

I have been working at Blue Cross Blue Shield of Minnesota full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Personal growth opportunitites are amazing - you are in charge of your career and BCBSMN supports life-long learning. The Blue U (University) offers many free trainings.

Cons

There are five buildings in Eagan and it bites to go to meetings in those other buildings (especially in the winter) and lose your parking space.

Love the transparency of the Strategic Plan and how visible everyone's goals are and how they fit into the plan. Makes us feel like our job has an impact in the organization

Great benefits, behind the times in Technology and Flexibility

Current Employee - Account Manager in Eagan, MN
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Eagan, MN

I have been working at Blue Cross Blue Shield of Minnesota full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The salary and benefits are pretty competitive in the Sales area. Most coworkers are great to work with. The company has a focus on Health of Employees, The workout room is great. Parking and security make me feel safe and secure.

Cons

Micro managers, no flexibility, behind the times.

Offer flexibility to salary positions instead of claim examiners.

Contractor Hell

Current Employee - Service Desk Technician
    Current Employee - Service Desk Technician

Pros

there is nothing positive about this company for any contractor.

Cons

If you are hired to work for Blue Cross in Minnesota as a contractor. You will be treated as a dog/slave. You will have little to no rights in the company and the company that is contracting you out to blue cross is making just as much as you are per hour. You are and will always be treated horribly and this can be considered illegal. The amount of maltreatment that go’s on at this company for all contractors goes to show you how they value there employees. If any contractor voices an issue or makes a non-contractor employee look really bad at their job you will be fired and replaced with someone who will be more compliant. There is so much illegal activity that involves contractors and the lack of human rights make a person wander who got paid off for this to continue to happen…

Treat everyone the same and fallow the laws of the land.

great place to work

Former Employee - Software Developer in Saint Paul, MN
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Saint Paul, MN

I worked at Blue Cross Blue Shield of Minnesota as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Cons

old technology even though there is pros of co workers are very friendly and it is a great place to work at. Time flexibility is the one thing i enjoyed most while working as a software developer. I would recommend to others

good management

Led PR and External Communications for state's largest health plan as director of PR, overseeing a staff of five.

Current Employee - Director Public Relations in Saint Paul, MN
    Current Employee - Director Public Relations in Saint Paul, MN

Pros

Great brand, mission-driven, innovative organization with solid leadership, tradition of leadership.

Cons

Challenging environment implementing the Affordable Care Act and managing a dynamic health care marketplace.

Focus on core strengths-- innovation, ethics, resiliency-- amidst constant and turbulent marketforce changes.

Blue Cross Blue Shield of Minnesota has been a fun and exciting to place to work at.

I have been working at Blue Cross Blue Shield of Minnesota full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great people, great facilities and good compensation.

Cons

Changing priorities… the fact that they recognize that change is needed in some areas is a good thing though.

Continue to do what you're doing.

So-so

I have been working at Blue Cross Blue Shield of Minnesota full-time

Pros

Benefits are good, especially if you have a family.

Cons

Bureaucratic, slow to change, technology is uneven.

Sr Financial Analyst

Former Employee - Sr Financial Analyst in Eagan, MN
    Former Employee - Sr Financial Analyst in Eagan, MN

I worked at Blue Cross Blue Shield of Minnesota full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good people in contributor roles. Facilities good. Seems to be community minded.

Cons

Horrible Finance managers. I was warned from day one that the manager of my area was difficult, self-centered, and played favorite. All were correct. I was scolded like a child for checking the time on my phone during a meeting. Every day was like walking on egg shells. Glad I'm no longer there!

Get good leaders in place that don't blame everyone else for their own faults. They were all "me" people.

Sr. Data Migration Analyst

Former Employee - Senior Data Migration Analyst in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Senior Data Migration Analyst in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Blue Cross Blue Shield of Minnesota full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good working culture, helpful colleagues, and good benefits

Cons

Laid back environment, very old technologies

Depending on your department it's either a great place or hell..

Former Employee - Senior Technical Engineer in Eagan, MN
    Former Employee - Senior Technical Engineer in Eagan, MN

I worked at Blue Cross Blue Shield of Minnesota full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good compensation and solid benefits

Cons

A lack of unified management philosophy create islands of greatness or sadness. If you're working in some IT areas you have great management and great people while others seem like a bad high school movie with gossip and backbiting.

Life work balance is either a corporate value or it is not. You can't have some managers respect peoples lives and others demand their team be on call 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year.

Blue Cross Blue Shield of Minnesota Photos