Blue Cross Blue Shield of Minnesota

www.bluecrossmn.com

Blue Cross Blue Shield of Minnesota Reviews

Updated Jul 26, 2014

Michael Guyette

Pros
  • Very flexible schedules and accommodating of work/life balance (in 13 reviews)

• Enjoyed working there for many years, good people, good environment, good benefits, good support (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Slow to implement changes in business processes and to provide resources needed to compete with other national health care companies (in 3 reviews)

• communication between management and upper management (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Membership

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat co-workers, clean environment (keeping in mind you take out your own garbage daily), good working hours for many years - recently though management made a decision to enforce what ever they felt like works best for them not the employees anymore.

ConsBad leadership, short staffed, totally unprepared for the "Obama" Health Care Act or AHA, very STRESSFUL with bad leadership causing additional unneeded stress on the employees, require way more work from the employees then any leadership, with low pay. TOP HEAVY!! Benefits are far from fabulous - insurance is expensive, on-site daycare expensive, retirement plan a JOKE. Very little to NO appreciation for working over an above what is expected. Constant micro-managing employees, no trust!

Advice to Senior ManagementEmpathy, hold true to the company words of FAMILY FIRST - the work will always be there tomorrow! STOP the micro managing - go back to TRUSTING your employees - their are still great people on this earth!

My experience with Blue Cross Blue Shield of California has been educational and rewarding.

Business Analyst (Current Employee) Eagan, MN

ProsBCBSMN has some of the most dedicated, hardworking individuals that I have ever experience working with. It is a pleasure to be amongst professionals with such strong work ethic.

ConsSometimes a person can get lost in a sea of people. This holds true for BCBSMN. One has to learn to make herself stand out.

Advice to Senior ManagementYour busy. Don't let that get in the way of learning as much as you can about the people that work under you.

Great mission - lots of leadership turn over

Marketing Professional (Former Employee) Saint Paul, MN

ProsGood mission and values are lived out
    Strong brand
    Lots of growth opportunity
    Good work life balance
    Give back to the community

ConsLeadership turnover has led to a decline in their competitiveness and a gap is their future direction
    Technology is behind the times
    Lost competitive position

Advice to Senior ManagementStabilize leadership
    Develop and stick with a market focused strategy

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

HR Intern

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsIt was an amazing experience

ConsIt was a short internship

Lots of reorganization and tension

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsEmployees offered inexpensive health insurance

ConsNot a lot of cooperation between groups, could be unfriendly

Advice to Senior ManagementStop reorganizing some time soon

Great company atmosphere and great benefits

Sales Associate (Former Employee)

ProsThe benefits are very good compared to most large corporations, they offer exended learning classes (xcel, interview skills, etc), as well as PTO, education stipend, great health insurance (obviously), and wellness packages. The culture is very engaging and relaxed.

ConsCan be stuck in the older generation and not easy to adapt to a lot of change quickly. Its hard to move up in a division because people tend to stay.

Proud to tell people where I work!

Human Resources (Current Employee) Eagan, MN

ProsAwesome benefits. Innovative thinking encouraged. Love the people I work with.

ConsSome areas of the organization don't have as much flexibility in schedule.

Can't wait to find a new job.

Health Management (Current Employee) Eagan, MN

ProsHealth benefits, retirement. Immediate supervisor does an amazing job.

ConsOutdated technology, employees and ideas are also very outdated and can't adapt to new things. Micro management. Complacency gets you promotions and raises. Anyone above immediate supervisor doesn't care about you at all. You'll find yourself in a dead end in your position pretty quick.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your employees like adults. Show some appreciation for your employees. Figure out why there is such a high turn over in all roles/departments.

This is a very stressful work environment with improper training.

Health Guide (Current Employee) Eagan, MN

ProsCheap health insurance and free gym access at work.

ConsHigh turnover, unrealistic expectations and guidelines, too stressful

Friendly workplace, employees looking to develop interns

Intern (Current Employee) Eagan, MN

ProsThe company has reorganized quite a bit in the past, but I believe they are on the right track now with a great leadership team. Good compensation, benefits, amenities, and people.

ConsAs with many companies, the IT systems are quite outdated and upgrading has proved to be a complex process. On a good note, they have been steadily improving the state of these systems and I am optimistic for the future.

Worked for Blue Cross Blue Shield of Minnesota? Contribute to the Community!