Blue Cross (MI)

Blue Cross (MI) Reviews

Updated Jul 8, 2014

Blue Cross (MI) President and CEO Daniel J. Loepp

Daniel J. Loepp

Pros
  • Large company with great benefits and salaries(in 14 reviews)

• Competitive pay, good benefits after being hired in as a full time employee(in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • No opportunities for advancement unless you get buddy-buddy with management and discuss your personal life with leadership(in 3 reviews)

• Upper management gives the impression they are too good for lower level employees(in 4 reviews)

Great Experience!

Intern (Former Employee) Detroit, MI

Pros-Very friendly people in my department
    -Good pay for an intern
    -Always attended events that were going on in the company
    -Allowed interns to have voice in the meetings with executives
    -Great company culture. It is so diverse and they constantly have events to celebrate the diversity throughout the company. It was a ton of fun!
    -Great intern program! Very well organized. They really allowed the interns to experience downtown Detroit and bond with one another. I met some really close friends through this internship

Cons-Some of the work I was given was boring
    -Sometimes we didn't have enough to do. It seemed like one week the department was busy and the next week it was slow and people didn't have much to do

Advice to Senior ManagementN/A

Very dissappointed

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Detroit, MI

ProsGreat benefits. 401k match. New merged downtown Detroit campus makes working within the company easier. Being downtown, near Greektown and Campus Martius.

ConsVery top heavy, manager and above are out for themselves and do not acknowledge or promote when appropriate. Hard work doesn't pay off and great ideas are squashed before even given a chance.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees at all levels. Give credit where credit is due.

Good, but boring

IT Communications (Current Employee) Detroit, MI

ProsGreat atmosphere, works around you schedule, diverse environment

ConsMost of the time I had nothing to do, boring work, older employees, not young and modern

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Intern

Intern (Former Employee) Detroit, MI

ProsInterns are given a lot of responsibility and authority over their projects. This does vary greatly by department, however.
    BCBSM has a lot of access to claims data which can make analysis very informative and incredibly useful.
    It was a great experience to gain more exposure to the insurance industry, especially in the current atmosphere of health reform and the Affordable Care Act.

ConsCorporate policy does not allow for letters of recommendation (to avoid liability).

It was wonderful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Health Plan Advisor-Medicare Open Enrollment Period (Former Employee) Detroit, MI

ProsExcellent training, extremely nice people, very well organized, excellent, caring supervisors, extremely,caring people to their clients, I was shown a great deal of respect by all employees while there and learned more about caring and compassion within myself towards other people

Consnone, There was no down side to working at this company

Advice to Senior ManagementI don't think I could give any advice due to the fact the management is already on spot with their employees and clients

Great Opportunities

Manager (Former Employee) Detroit, MI

ProsThere were always opportunities to take on new roles, tasks and projects over the 10+ years I worked there. I was in IT, they had a lot of technology and would listen when new technology was purposed. Great people too for the most part, a lot of people 20-30+ years. Pay, benefits and bonus were great

ConsIt could be bureaucratic sometimes, it was big company and a lot of committees and people would get involved in decisions they didn’t have any responsible in. It was also very slow at times, too much analysis, not very fast paced. They didn’t deal with poor leaders, would look the other way or push the poor leaders around to different departments rather than demote or deal with them.

Advice to Senior ManagementGid rid of bad leaders.

Not bad

Intern (Current Employee) Detroit, MI

ProsGood pay,
    Nice city to work in (Detroit)

ConsThis job was pretty boring, I was rarely fulfilled at the end of each day

Advice to Senior ManagementMake the work more exciting

Great place to work and have a career

Talent Acquisition Consultant (Former Employee) Detroit, MI

ProsIf you are a top performer leadership often provides room to take on your own projects or participate in projects/workstreams that you would explore. Great company for networking and collaborative community.

ConsThere is a bit of a entitlement culture within some areas of the organization. This definitely varies by area within the company since some leaders push more towards pay for performance culture. However, often long-tenure employees can slide by for a very long time even with poor performance which makes top performers feel like they are not getting very far very quickly or it slowly disengages them because why work harder than everyone else if you get about the same at the end of the day.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep pushing towards a pay for performance/competitive culture. Some of the areas have embraced it and the innovation that comes from those areas should encourage company wide adoption.

Good job opportunity but offers little job security within first 6 months.

Customer Service Representative II (Former Employee) Detroit, MI

ProsCompetitive pay, good benefits after being hired in as a full time employee.

ConsTraining periods have been significantly shortened from when the previous CEO when in charge. Company relies too heavily on on the job training for new employees to catch on and will terminate before training period has ended if they dont feel new employees are catching on quickly enough.

Advice to Senior ManagementLengthen training, offer a more transparent new hire experience.

Very negative, too political, to much nepotism, overall does not care about the employee.

Analyst (Former Employee) Detroit, MI

ProsIf you're an executives family member, there is no boundaries to hold you back from career advancement.
    Great benefits, to compensate for low pay.

ConsToo much corporate politics.
    Too much nepotism.
    Very little opportunities for advancement, unless your within a clique.
     Too low of pay, most positions are 10-15k below the market rate compared to other corporations.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop looking at your employees as though their skills and talents are beneath management. The company is overwhelmed with talented employees, but are forced to work in positions that are under their skill set.

Worked for Blue Cross (MI)? Contribute to the Community!