Blue Cross (MI)

Updated December 22, 2014
3.4

Blue Cross (MI) President and CEO Daniel J. Loepp
Daniel J. Loepp

Pros
  • Great benefits and a variety discount options available (in 16 reviews)

• Good benefits , flexible work schedules (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is a big issue for a good part of the year, but that is the nature of the insurance industry (in 6 reviews)

• Very top heavy, manager and above are out for themselves and do not acknowledge or promote when appropriate (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Great

I have been working at Blue Cross (MI)

Pros

Everything...salary, benefits, career advancement, location..I love it

Cons

I can't find anything negative to say

Old Fashioned, but First Class Benefits

Former Employee - Business Analyst in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in Detroit, MI

I worked at Blue Cross (MI) full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

BCBSM still offers pensions and, as you would expect, full benefits to its employees. They also have cash incentives for completing health and wellness activities. There are some wonderful people working here. Lots of diversity, depending on the department. We had potlucks and parties for holidays. Despite the fact that I don't approve of CEO Dan Loepp's political agenda and strategy in terms of BCBSM's relationship with the city of Detroit, he is great at communicating with employees. You always feel in the know on the latest company news and impacts of healthcare reform on BCBSM.

Cons

I worked in an IT area, and it constantly seemed like we were just fighting the next fire. The review process is kind of a joke. Managers don't have or make time to develop their people, even if they'd like to. They're too busy doing damage control. My department burned out even the brightest people before within a few years. In an environment like this, the lazy/ mediocre people really thrive, because management has its "go-to" people who do the lions' share of work. The lazy people can float along doing the bare minimum, and counting the years 'til they retire and get that pension.

There is a preference for staff augmentation in IT, and many of the consultants are young Indians looking for a start. I think that's great, but they are often contracted through companies like Strategic Staffing Solutions. I worked for S3 for awhile, and all they do for you is write a check and take a huge chunk of your bill rate. Dan Loepp calls this "development" and "putting Detroit to work." It's not. Because of S3's deal with BCBSM, their screening process is non-existent (there is no incentive to staff well, since BCBSM has to give preference to S3 employees). This means that if you're a legit employee, you're surrounded by a lot of incompetent people. If you're a hiring manager, your hands are tied and a lot of time is wasted interviewing and hiring and firing unqualified people.

If you're going to work here, get an internal position or come in as a consultant with a very reputable company.

Stop promoting your best "doers" to management. Let the managers manage--- they can't develop people if they are carrying the workload of 5 employees.

Company is struggling and not getting better.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Blue Cross (MI) full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The company has great benefits, encourages health and wellness with competitions and incentives, and the workers (under manager-level) are usually hard-working and easy to partner with.

Cons

(1) Management does not "care" what SME's below them have to say. The buzz word is "empowerment" but that does not translate to real life. Directors and above will make decisions negatively impacting their teams' ability to do their jobs - not giving them the system support they need for example - and impeding customer experience. However, they do this with incomplete information because they don't take the time to ask their "underlings" about the impact.

(2) The IT teams that the business areas have to work with are, in general, horrible. They are slow, develop incorrect processes, and seem to have no pride in their work. In the years I have been there I have yet to see them complete a project. It doesn't help that the business leadership mantra is "get it up and fix it later" which gives IT a pass in owning their work and doing something of quality.

(3) There has been a lot of talk in the last 3-5 years about competing with other plans. But, it's a lot of talk and not a lot of action. When ideas are given, leadership will shoot them down or deny funding. Management is so busy covering themselves or looking for that next rung on the ladder that they will not try new things.

(4) Hard work does not pay off. In my area, some of the least productive people have been promoted to managers because they don't make waves - approve everything without question. The most productive people who work hard to make project work, end on time, etc. are punished for being "roadblocks" if they question anything or point out that a process does not work and should not be approved.

(5) The first few years I was at the company were wonderful. People worked together, managers worked with their teams instead of for themselves, directors were approachable, and teamwork was valued on the projects. Since then, it has become a miserable place to work. People are out for themselves, afraid to think outside the box or "shine" for fear of getting their hand slapped. You don't know who you can trust, so friendships are few and far between. Add on to that the commute to the Ren Cen (every morning very crabby people are in the elevator complaining about it), the poor parking, the lack of safety, etc. and it's a stressful, angry place to work.

My advice is to trust your people and realize you're not always the smartest person in the room. If they tell you something is a good idea and can back it up with a business impact - believe them. If someone tells you a project is failing, instead of blaming your hard workers, determine how you can support them - even if that means going to battle for them. You will get more out of your people and be more successful if your people know you have their back.

Do not reward teammates who are cruel to others and don't be cruel yourself. If one or more people regularly leave your staff meetings in tears, there is an issue.

Stop spending so much money on consultants to tell you what to do to grow your area. I bet if you asked your own people they could tell you the same things - what is working, what isn't, what our competitors are doing better, and what the business trends are. What your team knows that the consultants do not is how your systems work, what your customers have asked for, and what your members expect.

Stop forcing your people to do things like outings, picnics, walks, etc. as if we're friends. We're not. The atmosphere is toxic - address that first. Then, you won't have to force people to do things as a team - we will want to support each other and you.

Decent Pay and Great Benefits / Somewhat dysfunctional leadership team

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Blue Cross (MI) full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

BCBSM provides a fairly good work environment and provides for a level of work life balances in most functions. The company is poised for growth as it sheds legacy health care regulation and moves forward as a non-profit mutual insurer. This growth is sure to provide some level of opportunities for employees.

Cons

BCBSM could be a great company but is paralyzed by its inability to make decisions. The company operates in a fashion that is reminiscent of the American autos prior to stiff competition from foreign automakers. The inability to make tough decisions in the near term will cause the company to make even more difficult decisions in the future.

Transition to proactive management rather than reactive management and make decisions that show that we are good stewards of a great company.

Reality Check

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI

I worked at Blue Cross (MI) full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Fair/Good hours. Great benefits. Building security is tight.

Cons

When I read the cons regarding the leadership in this company, I couldn’t agree more. Every company has its incompetent leadership. However, based upon my experience, this company has more than its share. I knew two managers that left because once they were in that position, working within the incompetent environment was far too much to take on a daily basis. My final time in the company was spent working with medicare. Most of the employees were very nice. The management team and those with authority are just a tad bit inexperienced. This department makes many business errors which affects everyone associated with this business. Of course they troubleshoot them and fixed them after the fact, however they don’t check and recheck their communications, procedures, and business decisions thoroughly prior to releasing them- an obvious sign of incompetence. It’s very disappointing and embarrassing when you and others work for a company and this occurs, almost daily and certainly weekly. Although some of these errors may be humorous to some, when you see your management team laughing about it, seriously, you have to wonder just who these people are and what qualifications they really posses. Of course, you ask yourself, can I continue to work for this type of leadership?? When you first see the errors that come across the department, you think, everyone makes mistakes, and everyone does; but the frequency of it is surprising. There is zero accountability for those who have generated these errors- for they are still employed. Perhaps a sign of inexperience? You will not be promoted based on your experience and leadership qualities. You will be promoted if you can be manipulated by your superiors- an obvious sign by incompetent and fearful leadership. I could never understand why a leader would build a team that was weaker than they were themselves. This is an obvious sign of acknowledging their level of incompetence. If you are the strongest on a team, then your team isn’t very good. It takes many strong members to build a strong team- not one. If you’re flipping burgers now, apply for a leadership position, you just might make it in. If you have a track record of leadership, your chances are not that great. These managers who have assumed these positions have little history, if any, of leadership. Perhaps this is just the environment of business today- but like I said, it’s disappointing. If you’re looking for great benefits, and can tolerate incompetence, then this place will work for you. The upper management/execs cannot possibly know what exists below them. If they did, things would change.

It would fall on deaf ears.

Customer Advocate Team

Current Employee - Audio Visual Intern in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Audio Visual Intern in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Blue Cross (MI) full-time (less than an year)

Pros

They are very good at making everyone feel like they are a part of the team regardless of your position. Great hours, nice facilities, professional environment, good pay.

Cons

Because they are such a big organization they are a bit behind times and they are slow to make any real changes that would benefit the working environment.

Keep being all inclusive with your staff. It really makes people feel like they are worth something.

Best job I've ever had

Current Employee - Communications Intern in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Communications Intern in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Blue Cross (MI) as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Fun projects that actually mattered to the department. Work was published and impacted business decisions. Came out with an awesome portfolio. Great team, great leaders. Fun office culture. Well paid.

Cons

Honestly don't have any. It's a great internship program that I'd highly recommend to students.

Thank you - keep up the good work.

Great exposure to corporate culture.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI

I worked at Blue Cross (MI) as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Internship program is well structured. I had great exposure to the industry and built a strong network to help further my career.

Cons

Not much opportunity for entry level positions.

Continue to focus on developing your internship program.

BCBSM has a very political and unpredictable culture

Former Employee - Senior Auditor in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Senior Auditor in Detroit, MI

I worked at Blue Cross (MI) full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Very good health benefits, free parking, not prone to boom & bust cycles, close to expressway location, tight building security

Cons

Leaders are nervous and clueless. They constantly hire contractors to tell them what they should do. When things go wrong, they find underling scapegoats and frame them. If you are minding your business and not kissing up the ladder, no matter how well you do the job, your job is at risk.

Worst company to work for.

Current Employee - Audit in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Audit in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Blue Cross (MI) full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

There are no pros for this company.

Cons

Black women are worth 3 points, white women are worth 2 points, white men are worth 1 point and black men are worth 0 points in the eyes of management.

The older white men do most all of the work. Then they toss an inexperienced black woman or a white woman on top to take all of the credit. Black men have no value.

Just keep collecting those paychecks from the people of the state of Michigan.

Blue Cross (MI) Photos

Rooftop of the parking structure
BCBSM