Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association Reviews

Reset

1. Broker and Member Service Rep

Former Employee - Broker Services in San Angelo, TX
    Former Employee - Broker Services in San Angelo, TX

I worked at Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Blue Cross Blue Shield is a great company, that cares about their employees and has excellent benefits and vacation package.

Cons

I truly can't think of any cons.

2. Sr. Manager

Former Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association

Pros

Small company feel. Know your leaders. Big employer name recognition. Great place to learn BCBS and health industry business.

Cons

Limited growth beyond manager. Not great relationships cross departments making work environment challenging. Too much cya and limited openness to share causes lack of motivation and sharing of intellectual thought.

Stress Factory

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Benefits, decent training opportunities, generally decent coworkers. Great downtown location, casual work environment. Good "work from home" options.

Cons

Vicious managers who clearly play favorites. Managers can all but physically abuse employees without repercussion. I experienced (and saw happen to others) many "set up to fail" scenarios when someone was out-of-favor...with the full cooperation of HR. Employee surveys in some areas are chronically dismal, and the company response is to bring-in consultants that result in layoffs of people who are unhappy. I got sick from stress when I was working there, and there was absolutely no support if your manager didn't like you. Turnover was high, as BCBSA is a clearly reactive place that often changes direction. Employees are often forced to work long hours (or "work from home") on projects that go nowhere and waste tons of money. Very little autonomy, and the approval process for product is glacially slow and micro-managed.

Advice to Management

Be cognizant of how your "star managers" treat their employees. Many companies, especially BCBSA, often ignore the rank-and-file as long as managers, directors and VPs are producing. Ensure that there is a system in place that assists employees who feel bullied and/or are treated unfairly - that doesn't result in retribution. Simplify the confusing, labyrinthine performance evaluation system.

Bureaucratic mess but decent pay and benefits

I worked at Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association full-time (More than a year)

Pros

My division hired extremely smart people who were interesting in their own right. The subject matter of the job could be interesting. Pretty good access to higher level managers and good formal and informal mentoring/relationship building opportunities. Good location downtown.

Cons

My division was a mess, human resources-wise. People quit constantly. Within 6 months of my hiring, three levels of management above me collapsed. Everyone left. Those kinds of mass exoduses seemed to happen pretty frequently - created instability and generated intense cynicism. Management seemed open to new ideas but then got stuck on formulaic ways of conducting business (i.e., typical bureaucracy).

Advice to Management

Figure out why people leave so frequently (i.e., certain members of c-level management) and solve that problem. You'll gain a lot more traction in five years than you have been.

6. It's not the best

I have been working at Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association

Pros

Health benefits, holidays off and 401k

Cons

Management, compensation, leave time, that's about it

Advice to Management

Show more appreciation

7. Awsome

I have been working at Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association

Pros

Friendly , work ethics , culture , fast forwad

Cons

work schedule, no over time , it is difficult to work when we have lots to do

8. Analyst Life

Current Employee - Programmer Analyst in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Programmer Analyst in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I come and go and train

Cons

Very informal. Dont like it.

Advice to Management

Do something.

9. Java Developer

Current Employee - Senior Java Developer in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Senior Java Developer in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association

Pros

Heatlh Care Domain, as i got more health sector

Cons

third part support not good

Advice to Management

very good and helpful team

avoid in all cost

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association

Pros

When I finally leave this place it will be happiest day of my live.

Cons

The main problem with he company is the culture. The culture established at least in IT part of the company is basically tyranny. The management rules with fear, extinguish any independent thought and sacrifice interests of the company for own ego and gratification. To the lower levels of management the culture promotes sucking up to superiors and abusing people the report to them. Needless to say that most of people with good IT expertise have left the company. Qualified people who join the company realize they made a mistake and quickly leave. If you IT person avoid this in all cost

Advice to Management

Advise to top management to get rid of IT management and the structure of sycophants’ they created under them in last three years.

Decent overall benefits but cliquish culture with no upward mobility

Former Employee - Finance in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Finance in Chicago, IL

I worked at Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Most employees are easy to work with and get along. Lots of power struggles at middle and upper management levels and annual re-organization efforts can create open open positions and opportunities in other areas if you want to experience other functions.

Cons

Friends/relationships favored over performance. Management deeply rooted in their ways and unwilling to change the status quo, regardless of benefits or opportunity for improvement. 'Old guard' employees are allowed to ride out their career to retire with full pension benefits while younger employees work hard to pay for those benefits.

Advice to Management

Let go of the 'old guard' baggage and take a chance on growing new talent internally. Chance the cliquish culture proliferated by your managers and talent will come to you.

RSS Feed </> Embed