Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Kansas City

1 Rating

Great company!

Current Employee - Marketing Intern in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Marketing Intern in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Kansas City as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Good pay, great people, fun location. As an intern, I learned a lot and had great mentors helping me along the way. They were also very flexible with my schedule- laid-back environment.

Cons

The changing world of health insurance can get very confusing at times.

miserable from start to finish.

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Kansas City full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

nice salary and benefits. i have nothing nice to say about office culture most of the people there view you as a means to dump on while they brown nose the management. you can't trust anybody. there are no promotions if the management do not like you and you dare speak out you are labeled as a "non team player". then they do anything to manufacture ways to get you fired. at best lower management treats you like you are a stupid child and micromanages you every second when they aren't trying to make things as inconvenient as possible to waste as much of that salary and time as they possibly on the company's behalf.

Cons

major gaslighting and emotional harassment from all directions that Human Resources ignores because they and their lawyers protect the company not you, mindset of company before people. daily if not hourly mind games, lies, and cheating their workers while lining their own pockets and raising prices on their policies to cover their own mismanagement and frequent and costly mistakes.

why bother.. they never listened when i worked there. they screwed me and made up reasons to fire me.

Blue KC is an overall fantastic company but has some management issues.

Former Employee - IT Intern in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Kansas City as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

I spent the summer interning as an IT Intern. Everyone was very kind, helpful and genuinely caring. As with most internships, you'll have to primarily drive yourself to learn and expand your comfort zone, even if you aren't tasked with something very difficult.

Cons

Whenever I felt the drive to work on extra/different projects, I felt resistance from my manager. From what I've gathered, other interns had similar situations. Expect to get good experience, but only on a specific project or few projects.

Give employees more room for creativity and allow them to showcase their true knowledge.

Long standing hometown company

Current Employee - Senior Administrative Assistant in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Senior Administrative Assistant in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Kansas City full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good benefits and community involvement

Cons

The mantra of "do more with less" is wearing out employees

Employees cannot continue to absorb the work of all the employees being early "retired".

Blue KC is a Great Company to work for, and has Great People, but has some Internal struggles in mid-management.

Former Employee - Supervisory in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Supervisory in Kansas City, MO

Pros

People are friendly; compensation is fair; Time off policies were decent; flexible hours (non-management); decent bonuses based on Company performance; Prior to 2015 health premiums were great; chances for advancement are good if you apply yourself and align with the correct path.

Cons

Mid-level management can get on power trips; Must be a "yes" man/woman to navigate above Supervisory level; Certain areas are 'clicky'; communication is lacking with regard to major movement when communicating with most of the rank and file operational employees.

Allow your operational and front line employees to express themselves without negative repurcussions. Reign in some of your mid-management personnel (Directors/Department Vice Presidents) that suppress good employees and don't allow them to grow.

Good Company, Constant Reorganization

I have been working at Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Kansas City full-time

Pros

Compensation and Benefits, the people, work/life balance, had a pension but does no longer for new employees.

Cons

Constant reorganization and it's not all about Health Care Reform, adversely impacts the companies focus and is very disruptive to employee growth, satisfaction and overall investment in their role or division. Sales, Marketing and Operations are fairly stable in leadership. IT is a mess.

Enough with the reorganizations!

Great pay, but I wouldn't return

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO

Pros

Onsite gym, convenient cafe, flexible hours, great pay, and you are able to work at your own pace with minimal supervision

Cons

lack of work
    busy work
    upper level treat you like your incompetent
    they give you all the work they don't want to do
    Mentor does nothing for you

Create a formal program that has projects READY for interns when they get here, so they dont have to beg for work

Fantastic internship

Pros

High salary for an intern
    Real world projects
    Given a mentor that is highly experienced in your field
    Great networking opportunities

Cons

At first, I had a hard time betting excited about the healthcare industry, but after a few weeks I have nothing bad to say about the company. It is a very fast-paced environment that keeps you on your feet.

My internship was a great learning experience!

Former Employee - Actuarial in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Actuarial in Kansas City, MO

Pros

The people were awesome! It was the first year they had a formal internship program and it, too, was great. I learned so much from the experience I earned here that can only be accomplished by working in the field.

Cons

The only problem I ran into was a lack of work. Luckily, I was studying for Exam FM at the time so that kept me busy, and I was fortunate enough to have passed FM during my internship.

Great people and a relaxed environement

Former Employee - IT Intern in Kansas City, MO

Pros

On-site gym open 24/7
    flexible start-time
    big cafeteria with specials each day
    freedom to design as you want on software projects

Cons

Can be disorganized at times
    Currently senior developers are very busy with ACA changes

Get people what they need faster.