Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Kansas City

Updated August 26, 2014
3.5

Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Kansas City President & CEO David Gentile
David Gentile

Blue KC is a Great Company to work for, and has Great People, but has some Internal struggles in mid-management.

Former Employee - Supervisory  in  Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Supervisory in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Kansas City full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

People are friendly; compensation is fair; Time off policies were decent; flexible hours (non-management); decent bonuses based on Company performance; Prior to 2015 health premiums were great; chances for advancement are good if you apply yourself and align with the correct path.

Cons

Mid-level management can get on power trips; Must be a "yes" man/woman to navigate above Supervisory level; Certain areas are 'clicky'; communication is lacking with regard to major movement when communicating with most of the rank and file operational employees.

Allow your operational and front line employees to express themselves without negative repurcussions. Reign in some of your mid-management personnel (Directors/Department Vice Presidents) that suppress good employees and don't allow them to grow.

Good Company, Constant Reorganization

I have been working at Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Kansas City full-time

Pros

Compensation and Benefits, the people, work/life balance, had a pension but does no longer for new employees.

Cons

Constant reorganization and it's not all about Health Care Reform, adversely impacts the companies focus and is very disruptive to employee growth, satisfaction and overall investment in their role or division. Sales, Marketing and Operations are fairly stable in leadership. IT is a mess.

Enough with the reorganizations!

Great pay, but I wouldn't return

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Kansas City as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Onsite gym, convenient cafe, flexible hours, great pay, and you are able to work at your own pace with minimal supervision

Cons

lack of work
    busy work
    upper level treat you like your incompetent
    they give you all the work they don't want to do
    Mentor does nothing for you

Create a formal program that has projects READY for interns when they get here, so they dont have to beg for work

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Fantastic internship

I worked at Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Kansas City as an intern for less than a year

Pros

High salary for an intern
    Real world projects
    Given a mentor that is highly experienced in your field
    Great networking opportunities

Cons

At first, I had a hard time betting excited about the healthcare industry, but after a few weeks I have nothing bad to say about the company. It is a very fast-paced environment that keeps you on your feet.

My internship was a great learning experience!

Former Employee - Actuarial  in  Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Actuarial in Kansas City, MO

Pros

The people were awesome! It was the first year they had a formal internship program and it, too, was great. I learned so much from the experience I earned here that can only be accomplished by working in the field.

Cons

The only problem I ran into was a lack of work. Luckily, I was studying for Exam FM at the time so that kept me busy, and I was fortunate enough to have passed FM during my internship.

Great people and a relaxed environement

Former Employee - IT Intern  in  Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - IT Intern in Kansas City, MO

Pros

On-site gym open 24/7
    flexible start-time
    big cafeteria with specials each day
    freedom to design as you want on software projects

Cons

Can be disorganized at times
    Currently senior developers are very busy with ACA changes

Get people what they need faster.

Worst Company in Kansas City, Hiding Earnings

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Kansas City full-time for more than a year

Pros

There are absolutely no pros to this company. All of the hard working, intelligent people have left due to the shady going-ons.

Cons

Upper management does not have any concern with the well being or happiness of the "underlings." If you are not management, you are treated like a lower class citizen.

Many great people with prime experience have left this company because of the shady upper dealings going on there. As a nonprofit, this company is hiding money for the benefit of the higher paid staff. Management continues to get raises, employees continue to qut/get let go and positions are not filled, leaving the rest of the workers to have more work (which they do not get compensated for overtime work either).

If you want to move up in the company, good luck! They do not care about helping you with career growth.

You are not as important as you think you are. Appreciate the people that work for you and show some respect!

Great company, great benefits!

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Kansas City full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Of course, great medical insurance, and great pay! A lot higher than other companies! The company itself is a great company to work for. Free parking (no garage unless you are in management). Just a walk away from Union Station, Crown Center, Sea Life, LegoLand, Kaliedoscope, etc.
    Very professional environment.
    They offer a lot of discounts on things to do around the city and offer a variety of health and wellness activities/classes on the job. Your chances of getting hired are GREAT when you know someone there!

Cons

They do a lot of shoulder tapping, so you can apply for internal positions but most of the time they already know who they are going to select, but they go through the interview process for HR reasons. I would suggest doing a lot of networking w/thin the company after you are hired, if you're looking to advance there.
    Working in the Operations/Customer service department is cool but realize you will be a slave to the phone. Its very difficult to take advantage of classes/training in this position. Strict QA and adherence goals. They are very strict on how reps handle calls.

Look to your employees for ideas, suggestions to improve workflow,etc. Value and implement some of those suggestions/ideas.

Great place to collect a paycheck. Don't come here hoping to advance your career.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO

Pros

Great in regards to working hours and work/life balance. Smaller company made it feel like you knew a majority of everyone working which was nice.

Cons

'Outsourced' approximately 100 employees by forcing them to leave BCBSKC and take jobs with a subsidiary jointly owned by BCBSKC for a 2 year project with no promise of having a job with BCBSKC or subsidiary company after project is/was completed.

Pay is under industry standards; yearly reviews do not rewards people that want to stand out and make a difference. Mentality is very old school, "this is the way we've always done it and were not changing."

The summer 2012 management buyout somewhat helped the company from being thought of as egregiously management heavy; though most of the people that left were already non-producers while others (CTO, who was offered the buyout) were denied from taking it.

If you can get into upper mgmt at this company, you're set for life. This is known throughout the company which is why this company is so stuck in the mud and why upper managers have a “don’t rock the boat mentality.” They don’t fight for change/progress or challenge conventional thinking because they can consistently do nothing, collect their 25%+ bonuses (while regular employees get approx 2% and are told it’s been a rough year after record profits) and coast out years of a career. It’s been happening here for 30+ years.

Average age of employees is approx 40-45....lack of investment in new generation, upcoming talent, or retaining talent.

However, the above won’t matter much with the sentiment of current employees being that a merger or acquisition is likely coming with new CEO Gentile at the helm. Hopefully David and the subsequent generation(s) in his family live nicely off the buyout payment he receives from the acquisition while the rest of us hit the streets looking for new jobs. Always look out for #1!!

Allow innovation, promote talent, and allow that talent to change the culture.

Great atmosphere to work.

I have been working at Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Kansas City

Pros

Great atmosphere to work and a moral company to work for.

Cons

It is not the biggest company.

N/A

Worked for Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Kansas City? Contribute to the Community!