Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Kansas City Reviews

Updated March 25, 2015
20 reviews filtered by
3.4
Danette Wilson

1. BlueKC is loved by its employees and the community because it has a strong, solid foundation in the city.

Current Employee - Provider Relations in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Provider Relations in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Kansas City full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The company is dedicated to providing outstanding customer service to our members, employees, goups and vendors. The benefits are above average and people are treated fairly, which is why employees stay so long with the company.

Cons

One of the main problems at BlueKC is open communication between departments, upper management to lower management and staff.

My advice to management is to listen more closely to your employees.

2. Challenging, fast-paced but stressful.

Former Employee - Sales and Marketing in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Sales and Marketing in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Kansas City full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Challenging, fast-paced work always keeps you on your toes. Never a dull moment. A lot of fantastic people to work with and help you when you get stuck.

Cons

Management was constantly changing, however, it was always the same people getting promoted through the ranks. If you weren't earmarked for leadership you weren't going anywhere. Too much favoritism and too many cliques. Training was non-existent.

Don't put people in leadership positions that don't want to be there or don't have the skillsets to lead and grow their reports because, it only creates confusion, stress and resentment in those below them.

3. I like contracting for BlueKC, the company itself were great, but the people aren't so friendly.

Former Employee - Front-End Web Developer in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Front-End Web Developer in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Kansas City

Pros

I love the fact that they have one of the best in-house fitness center free to all employee and contractor, you better believed I took advantage of that and as it being downtown you can also on a warmer day jog outside during your lunch our and get your fitness in. They are all about being fitness and healthy.

Cons

As a contractor don't expect too much from the full-timer, they won't take the time to get to know you or even chat with you unless it involved work, or has to do with work. Outside of that they exclude you from the "team" and even has a separate seating arrangement where full-timer sits and where all the contractor sits. The message I got was do you work and leave, that all we care about.

If you are trying to ignore all the contractor within the team, let it be know. Don't sneak around to have team building or outing just let it be know so we as a contractor don't have to wonder what the heck happened to the rest of the team. Treat other as if you want to be treated. Communicate a little would help. Contractor are people too and we want to help you success. Other places treat their contractor as "an employee" (even though they are not) and not part of an external entity.

5. Great benefits, great mission, flexible schedules; slow moving, scarce vertical opportunity.

I have been working at Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Kansas City

Pros

The benefits are second to none. Outstanding, affordable coverage. Management has an open door policy and respects your individual needs. There are very few micromanagers, and most managers are logical with realistic expectations. They understand taking care of their employees, and are making changes to improve the quality of corporate culture.

Cons

Necessary changes and adaptations are slow moving, especially on the technical side, which is partially a product of the industry. Interdepartmental communication and collaboration can be a long process. People who work there stay there for a long time, so opportunity for vertical movement is extremely limited.

Create real opportunities for your employees to build their careers.

6. Great company!

Current Intern - Marketing Intern in Kansas City, MO
    Current Intern - Marketing Intern in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Kansas City as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Good pay, great people, fun location. As an intern, I learned a lot and had great mentors helping me along the way. They were also very flexible with my schedule- laid-back environment.

Cons

The changing world of health insurance can get very confusing at times.

7. miserable from start to finish.

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Kansas City full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

nice salary and benefits. i have nothing nice to say about office culture most of the people there view you as a means to dump on while they brown nose the management. you can't trust anybody. there are no promotions if the management do not like you and you dare speak out you are labeled as a "non team player". then they do anything to manufacture ways to get you fired. at best lower management treats you like you are a stupid child and micromanages you every second when they aren't trying to make things as inconvenient as possible to waste as much of that salary and time as they possibly on the company's behalf.

Cons

major gaslighting and emotional harassment from all directions that Human Resources ignores because they and their lawyers protect the company not you, mindset of company before people. daily if not hourly mind games, lies, and cheating their workers while lining their own pockets and raising prices on their policies to cover their own mismanagement and frequent and costly mistakes.

why bother.. they never listened when i worked there. they screwed me and made up reasons to fire me.

8. Long standing hometown company

Current Employee - Senior Administrative Assistant in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Senior Administrative Assistant in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Kansas City full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good benefits and community involvement

Cons

The mantra of "do more with less" is wearing out employees

Employees cannot continue to absorb the work of all the employees being early "retired".

9. Blue KC is an overall fantastic company but has some management issues.

Former Intern - IT Intern in Kansas City, MO
    Former Intern - IT Intern in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Kansas City as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

I spent the summer interning as an IT Intern. Everyone was very kind, helpful and genuinely caring. As with most internships, you'll have to primarily drive yourself to learn and expand your comfort zone, even if you aren't tasked with something very difficult.

Cons

Whenever I felt the drive to work on extra/different projects, I felt resistance from my manager. From what I've gathered, other interns had similar situations. Expect to get good experience, but only on a specific project or few projects.

Give employees more room for creativity and allow them to showcase their true knowledge.

10. Blue KC is a Great Company to work for, and has Great People, but has some Internal struggles in mid-management.

Former Employee - Supervisory in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Supervisory in Kansas City, MO

Pros

People are friendly; compensation is fair; Time off policies were decent; flexible hours (non-management); decent bonuses based on Company performance; Prior to 2015 health premiums were great; chances for advancement are good if you apply yourself and align with the correct path.

Cons

Mid-level management can get on power trips; Must be a "yes" man/woman to navigate above Supervisory level; Certain areas are 'clicky'; communication is lacking with regard to major movement when communicating with most of the rank and file operational employees.

Allow your operational and front line employees to express themselves without negative repurcussions. Reign in some of your mid-management personnel (Directors/Department Vice Presidents) that suppress good employees and don't allow them to grow.

11. Good Company, Constant Reorganization

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Kansas City full-time

Pros

Compensation and Benefits, the people, work/life balance, had a pension but does no longer for new employees.

Cons

Constant reorganization and it's not all about Health Care Reform, adversely impacts the companies focus and is very disruptive to employee growth, satisfaction and overall investment in their role or division. Sales, Marketing and Operations are fairly stable in leadership. IT is a mess.

Enough with the reorganizations!