Blue Cross & Blue Shield of Mississippi

Updated December 5, 2014
Updated December 5, 2014
2.8

Rick Hale

Keeps you busy and no time to get bored

Current Employee - Web Developer in Jackson, MS
    Current Employee - Web Developer in Jackson, MS

I have been working at Blue Cross & Blue Shield of Mississippi full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of challenging works. Never out of work

Cons

Workplace environment is a nightmare

Hire more people

not worth the free insurance

Former Employee - Provider Services Representative I in Flowood, MS
    Former Employee - Provider Services Representative I in Flowood, MS

I worked at Blue Cross & Blue Shield of Mississippi

Pros

Nice gym & time to walk twice a week was relaxing. The cafe was great. Not paying for insurance.

Cons

Racial disparities as to who gets hired/promoted into certain positions. Many people in the call center had been there for years even though they'd applied for promotions and were qualified. Micromanaging time: one day when I was sick a supervisor came into the bathroom to ask why i wasn't on the phone after two minutes!
    When I put in my two weeks notice, they tried to scare me into leaving, saying "i heard" that the company I was going to would be shutting down soon.

Good, Not Great

I have been working at Blue Cross & Blue Shield of Mississippi

Pros

Benefits, Working out on company time, Knowledgeable coworkers

Cons

Environment, Little pay for work

Pay your employees for the work that they do. Working for BCBSMS has its perks, but the atmosphere can also drain you.

Avoid Blue Cross if you're able.

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Blue Cross & Blue Shield of Mississippi

Pros

Two 30 minute on the clock workouts
    Great coworkers/managers

Cons

Where do I start....
    Very few opportunities for growth and promotions even though they are highly advertised when starting at entry level.
    Very uptight and depressing atmosphere.
    Expected to work overtime for nothing, but if you're running late you have to submit time.
    Cheated out of raises, promotions, time away from work, etc and if you question it there's no real answer. The only people who stick around are those who are waiting for their pension. New employees aren't offered a pension, by the way.
    Time and energy are wasted on trivial things you do "wrong" like backing into a parking space, not wearing pantyhose (yes women have to wear pantyhose), etc instead of focusing on your work ethic and talent. These types of things come up when you apply for promotions or if/when you finally get your review.

Unfortunately, even though they work with you on a daily basis, managers rarely have a say or pull in the final outcome of situations.

My experience at BCBSMS has been invaluable.

I have been working at Blue Cross & Blue Shield of Mississippi full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great team and leadership in the IT Department.

Cons

Not much to say here. I enjoy my job very much.

Better food selection at the on site cafe.

Great health and wellness opportunity

Current Employee - N/A in Jackson, MS
    Current Employee - N/A in Jackson, MS

I have been working at Blue Cross & Blue Shield of Mississippi full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

There is a great wellness opportunity

Cons

There are no cons to say

na

Depressing..

Current Employee - Information Technology in Flowood, MS
    Current Employee - Information Technology in Flowood, MS

Pros

-Great salary

-Two 30 minute workouts a week on the clock which results in free health insurance.

-On site cafe offering inexpensive and healthy meals (which sometimes taste pretty good).

-Various on site seminars and annual employee health fair, Christmas party off site during business hours.

-Standard vacation/personal leave accrual and a floating holiday

Cons

-Less observed holidays than most companies

- Have to wait 3 months for insurance to kick in and SIX months before you are allowed to use any vacation and personal leave you have accrued. You may be approved for unpaid leave if an emergency arises.

Extremely corporate and outdated culture which operates on fear. Employees are expected to work lots of unpaid overtime just to meet aggressive deadlines set by... who really knows. Most projects and tasks are given to you at the last minute. Information Technology in particular is stressful. A few late hours comes with the territory, but they come very often here.

Everyone works in cubicles with walls that stop somewhere above the waist including upper management. VPs have high cubicle walls but most of the wall is made of clear plastic.

In general, management tries to show a caring side (some are genuine) but most of it is superficial.

The older employees at this company are miserable and are just waiting to retire with their pension. This company will not be able to retain younger employees looking for progressive culture and a DECENT work/life balance for their families. Upper management and officers have a warped idea of how "lucky" the employees are to work here.

Learn to listen to your employees and stop treating people as if they are criminals. Not everyone is out to abuse the system. There is enough stress in life without encountering so much of it where one spends most of their time each day. Money is not enough to retain top talent.

Great atmosphere that really promotes growth

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Jackson, MS
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Jackson, MS

Pros

Healthy workplace
    Management connects with employees as if one same level

Cons

Very large company, can be easily overlooked if don't perform well

Just want to know if bcbs promotes employees that have other do there work on projects that intern get the promotion?

Current Employee - Corporate Trainer in Flowood, MS
    Current Employee - Corporate Trainer in Flowood, MS

I have been working at Blue Cross & Blue Shield of Mississippi full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Just get someone else to get you a promotion. You can have someone write your promotin paper for you and they will never check to see if it was from you.

Cons

Need to find people with a better attitude. Easy to get promoted if noone checks the employees work, needs to be addressed.

Make sure the employee that is for the promotion writes there paper that they had to do for there promotion and not a family member. You would have better customer service if the employees teaching the reps where honest and truthful too.

A company with stifling culture and sub-market employee benefits and incentives.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Flowood, MS
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Flowood, MS

I worked at Blue Cross & Blue Shield of Mississippi full-time

Pros

Generally, pay is above average.

Cons

No pension for new employees, no continuing education support, average to less-than-average 401k contributions, no flex scheduling, no childcare, NON-guaranteed bonus, NON-guaranteed annual raises, and average to less-than-average vacation days. Health benefit premiums for a spouse and/or family are only slightly better than average.

Enable employees to take responsibility for their own advancement. Trust employees. Try to understand the younger generations of career-minded individuals. Understand the market, and realize that you are sub-par in order that you might make changes. I am confident that every employee at BCBSMS could find another job that has better benefits in a better culture - understand this.