Blue Cross and Blue Shield of New Mexico

Employment Status

Reset
2.6
Kurt Shipley

1. Best job I've ever had (yes, even with the cons)

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Albuquerque, NM
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Albuquerque, NM

I have been working at Blue Cross and Blue Shield of New Mexico full-time

Pros

The pay and benefits are outstanding as is the opportunity to work from home. I feel very well supported by my colleagues and am surrounded by quality people. Excellent opportunities for growth if you are qualified and motivated to do so.

Cons

It is stressful and overwhelming at times just like most other jobs. Processes change constantly with no or minimal input from end users. Redundancy and frivolous documentation robs us of the productivity and output we are capable of delivering.

Advice to Management

Listen to those of us who work with the tools you develop and listen from day one. You will save yourself months of repetitive complaints and lost productivity by doing so. All new processes should be developed with the direct input of your troops on the ground. Give more of us a seat at the table functioning as a single team - from Directors to Health Coordinators. We are battling redundancies and frivolous processes that significantly impact our productivity. One week of honest directed problem solving input from end users would substantially enhance output and quality without having to spend another dime on outside consultants or third party contractors. We are already here - let us help solve our own problems.

2. A great place to work

Former Employee - Advanced Claims Processor in Albuquerque, NM

I worked at Blue Cross and Blue Shield of New Mexico full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You get all the necessary training you need to complete that job.

Cons

Certain supervisors will intimidate you about keeping your job.

Advice to Management

Great environment to work in, but reduce the stress.

3. claims examiner

Current Employee - Claims Examiner in Albuquerque, NM
    Current Employee - Claims Examiner in Albuquerque, NM

I have been working at Blue Cross and Blue Shield of New Mexico (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great benefits and flexible with schedules

Cons

Not much freedom in decision making, extremely tedious

Advice to Management

Provide more tools to succeed to goals

5. Good Job

I have been working at Blue Cross and Blue Shield of New Mexico full-time

Pros

Competitive pay, professional environment, opportunities for advancement.

Cons

Not enough communication between departments.

Another Sweatshop

Former Employee - Advanced Claims Processor in Albuquerque, NM

I worked at Blue Cross and Blue Shield of New Mexico full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Decent benefits Decent pay especially for ABQ area If you are a claims processor you don't have to talk to customers Company offers "flex time" which makes doing a boring job sort of ok. You will learn a lot about the Health Insurance industry.

Cons

Clique-ish Ridiculous office politics Job doesn't involve much thinking. Very robotic. You are expected to be at your desk all day except for breaks/lunches. If you need to use the restroom it better be during those time frames. Zero opportunity to promote unless you're part of the aforementioned clique.

Advice to Management

Conduct more team building exercises. Out sourcing to the Philippines doesn't actually save you any money, but cutting your redundant and useless middle managers will. Stop promoting your "best friend." Promote people with good work ethics, and knowledge. If you're going to threaten someone with disciplinary action you better make sure you document it otherwise you look like a moron.

7. What a horrible place

I have been working at Blue Cross and Blue Shield of New Mexico

Pros

If you like reliving your high school years of drama and cliques then this is the place for you

Cons

- the supervisors are micromanagers - The supervisors have their cliques and favorites - Will put you into projects with minimal training so you're completely lost and your ratings drop - wanting to back out of so projects will result in a write up. - They prefer you plan your time off . So calling in sick will get you in trouble. Nobody plans on getting sick. - supervisors have other people from teams to spy on you so they can report you - you are required to stay at your desk all day long. Long periods of time in the bathroom will be taken from your 30 min lunch. - I've noticed other people talking for long periods of time but when you get up you get in trouble. This is allowed if your in the clique of supervisors. - overtime hours are mandatory and it is constant.

Advice to Management

Get new supervisors and clean out your techs

8. Horrible organization - unethical organization that puts members last

Current Employee - In Care Coordination in Albuquerque, NM
    Current Employee - In Care Coordination in Albuquerque, NM

I have been working at Blue Cross and Blue Shield of New Mexico

Pros

My co-workers are a delight. Smart and knowledgable and helpful to one another At one time we had a supervisor that had our backs and worked with us to help our members -- sadly this is no longer true

Cons

members are last on the minds of the executives and BCBS and HCSC Big bonsus paid to Sr execs...I mean big bonsus Employees are treated like slaves Demands are unreasonable

Advice to Management

Wake UP! You are losing staff and membership to your competitors. Pay attention and listen to your managers and staff-- they are in the trenchs and know what is going on. This was a good company and now we cannot wait to find another position.

RSS Feed </> Embed