Blue Cross & Blue Shield of Rhode Island

www.bcbsri.com

Blue Cross & Blue Shield of Rhode Island Reviews

Updated Jul 20, 2014
Blue Cross & Blue Shield of Rhode Island – Providence – “BCBSRI Headquarters”

Peter Andruszkiewicz

Good hours, room for growth, but small raises

Senior Financial Analyst (Former Employee) Providence, RI

ProsGreat facility, good work-life balance, mobility within company

ConsRaises are minuscule and they pay external candidates way more than people that work their way through the ranks.

Advice to Senior ManagementIncrease salaries for promoted employees. Way too hard to get ahead, inspires talent to leave.

Toxic atmosphere

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Providence, RI

ProsGood benefits, easy walking distance to shops & restaraunts

ConsConstant in-fighting among senior management. Some members of senior management need a crash course in management, they think ruling by intimidation is the way to go. WAY too top heavy. Little to no communication between upper levels and the worker bees. There is a kill or be killed mentality in some areas, as if you have to take down your coworkers to succeed. I can't honestly say management fosters this outright but they do little to stop it. Being caught in one of the many layoffs was a blessing.

Advice to Senior ManagementCome down from Olympus and mingle among the masses.

"OK" for starting out

Marketing Associate (Former Employee) Providence, RI

ProsMost of management seems flexible, and the colleagues are great people to work for. They seem to have gotten rid of the "silo-ing" that had been gong on for quite some time.

ConsMany people do not want to put extra time in. There are also many mid-level managers who are less qualified than their subordinates. The organization also seems to lose its best employees consistently.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo not treat management as the be-all end-all. They could use a serious overhaul.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

The past has passed

Middle Manager (Former Employee) Providence, RI

ProsGood central location. Near the mall, train, pretty close to downtown.

ConsIt's not what you know, but who you know here. Management has spent the past 5 years eliminating anyone with industry experience and replacing them with Citizen's Bank "Six Sigma" wannabees who are driving the company to ruins. This company will not exist in 5 years (will probably be sold to a larger Blue Cross plan and have most of the positions moved on to other states). Spent twice as much on a new computer system (that is already outdated) than it did on their expensive building.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt may be too late to fix what's happened here. Continue to consolidate staff and try to rent out more floors in your building. Find some upper management people with experience in healthcare and stop hiring middle managers with banking experience only. Try to merge with a regional Blue Cross plan that will agree to retain as much local staff as possible.

Difficult environment.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Providence, RI

ProsGood benefits and salary. Nice fitness center and cafeteria on premises.

ConsDue to staff cuts, too much work for too few people. If you don't want to do cya, move on...

Advertises work/life balance, but this was not my experience.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure middle mgt is aligned with sr mgt. Make sure you can support what you sell.

Good experience

Actuarial Analyst (Former Employee) Providence, RI

ProsFriendly and supportive colleagues, intellectually stimulating work, balanced working hours. The whole atmosphere is positive and respectful. Tons of leaning opportunities. Perks like gym membership and the like

ConsSmall company, less opportunity to advance

Good company to work for

ProsPay is good/benefits are good

ConsParking in the city is expensive

Not what you want in an employer.

Various Titles (Former Employee) Providence, RI

ProsGreat co-workers - benefits use to be great. Has some great potential but that is fading. Can't think of any real "pros".

ConsJob security is not secure.
    Benefits use to be great but they have taken away so much and asking more and more of the employees who are rarely paid enough.
    Your typical "big-business" run company though they try to use the "not for profit" title.
    Most employees aren't treated like humans, the call center is the hub that is most often neglected except for one week a year for CS week. The demands of my position were normal but training lacked.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your employees like you would like to be treated. Enough with this black belt and six sigma non-sense and get back to the core of what made the company a great place to work many years ago. The traditions of BCBSRI are only a glimmer.
    Be more transparent. You expect that from your employees, practice what you preach.

Overall a great experience

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Providence, RI

ProsGreat people - professional, friendly, non-competitive
    Interesting work
    Good company that cares for the community

ConsToo much middle management, ineffective review process

Can see the train coming but can't get out of the way

Senior Management (Former Employee) Providence, RI

ProsThere are some very good people.
    There are some hard workers, but really many are working hard and working inefficiently.

ConsKind of a pathetic environment with a lot of 8-4'ers and 9-5'ers who take their specific breaks and 12 noon exact lunches for their allotted time; been doing it this way since they we 18 and will continue till they die [here]. That is what this company is about and will be stuck there no matter what they do until it dies under its own weight.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhile there, I was respected and had a well paying position. I have no ill feelings.

The company has a stated mission/vision, and there are stated goals and objectives, but BCBSRI has not a clue how to attain these. In addition, I do not fully agree with their goals/objectives - or even their mission for that matter. They operate in a way that worked in the past. The past being the old Rhode Island of cronyism, nepotism and crooked politics. It’s a brand new world and business this way is working less and less. The new world has run health costs thru the roof and in a roundabout way brought greater pressure upon BCBSRI, the single largest health insurance provider in Rhode Island. The Obama Health Exchange will start to bring greater free market competition pressure. In addition, the rising health costs will inevitably force RI politicians to rethink the health insurance laws in RI that have protected BCBSRI for the past 80 years. In my opinion, for BCBSRI, a company incapable of getting out of its own way, and lacking a true vision, the future looks bleak. To the delight of many Rhode Islander’s who hate BCBSRI, BCBSRI will finally feel their pain. (I live in RI and rub elbows with people every day. BCBSRI is not loved.)

Worked for Blue Cross & Blue Shield of Rhode Island? Contribute to the Community!