Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Texas

Bert Marshall

1. Good company to work at...for the most part

Current Employee - Marketing Service Represebtative in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Marketing Service Represebtative in Houston, TX

I have been working at Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Texas (More than a year)

Pros

HCSC the parent company is pretty well respected and the blue cross and blue shield logo also carry a lot of weight in the industry

Cons

Massive need of hierarchy restructuring. The managers from what I have seen are often times working their own book of business so they don't really manage. I come from an operations background so maybe I am biased but this company is in need of people managers in a bad way.

Advice to Management

Manage your people to manage your business.

2. RN Care Coordinator

Current Employee - RN Care Coordinator in Fort Worth, TX
    Current Employee - RN Care Coordinator in Fort Worth, TX

Pros

Good compensation, work from home benefits, lots of PTOs

Cons

job process is always changing constantly that is why it gets confusing sometimes

3. Blue Cross Blue Shied

Current Employee - Customer Advocate in Marshall, TX
    Current Employee - Customer Advocate in Marshall, TX

Pros

Pay, Benefits, Bonuses other than that nothing

Cons

Claims to have a work-life balance in which I found that not to be true. Has a no retaliation policy for reporting individuals who are unethical or being bullied in the workplace. Seen numerous individuals get in trouble for reporting issues in the workplace threaten to be written up,etc Just for reporting the issue.

Advice to Management

Some individuals do have other responsibilities like children and do have to take off to take care of them from time to time. Employee's shouldn't be penalized for taking time to take care of family. Wish they were more understanding of individuals with children,etc.

Great Company

Current Employee - Health Advocate
    Current Employee - Health Advocate

I have been working at Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Texas full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits!! Supervisors are wonderful. Awesome building and location. Employees are very friendly. Good pay.

Cons

I can't really think of anything =)

6. My BCBSTX Review

Current Employee - Applications Development Analyst in Richardson, TX
    Current Employee - Applications Development Analyst in Richardson, TX

I have been working at Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Texas full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Wonderful place to work. Team members are like family and organization really wants the very best for its employee.

Cons

None that I can think of right now. Maybe it does exist but I do not have any downside to write about now.

This is a solid place to work overall but not confident in the ordinations direction.

Current Employee - Marketing Service Representative in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Marketing Service Representative in Houston, TX

I have been working at Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Texas (More than a year)

Pros

There is a lot of money to be made at this company and in this industry as a whole. The people at this company are hard workers for the most part, at least at this location.

Cons

There is a lot of opportunity to grow but from my experience they do a very poor job at realizing talent. The rating I gave is low because because the company as a whole needs to make a lot of organizational changes as well as advancing technology. The technology utilized at this company was really an embarrassment to be quite honest. If this were 2005 then they might be on pace with the industry.

Advice to Management

Stop promoting people to leadership positions based on years of service. In less than a year to leadership roles (a supervisor and a manager) were filled by people that were not only not capable but actually demonstrated they were not leadership worthy. But because of the 10+ years experience "it was time." Using the it was time reasoning is a good way to drive a company into the ground.

8. It has been a good learning experience

Current Employee - Case Manager in Richardson, TX
    Current Employee - Case Manager in Richardson, TX

Pros

Opportunities to work from home.

Cons

Office culture is not great

Advice to Management

Be nicer and more understanding

Good company to work if you are in later half of your career

Current Employee - Small Group Underwriter in Richardson, TX
    Current Employee - Small Group Underwriter in Richardson, TX

Pros

This is Good company to work if you are in later half of your career.

Cons

If you are entry level or mid level in career, you not gain or learn anything valuable to help you later half of your career.

Advice to Management

Promotion are not done based on merit.

10. Blue Cross Blue Shield was a great company to work at.

Current Contractor - Credentialing Representative in Richardson, TX
    Current Contractor - Credentialing Representative in Richardson, TX

I have been working at Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Texas as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

The location was close to my home.

Cons

Working directly with the doctors and their staff.

Advice to Management

I think the company should increase the salary for their employees.

Great company for laid back work load and opportunity to learn and grow.

Current Employee - Applications Developer Analyst in Richardson, TX
    Current Employee - Applications Developer Analyst in Richardson, TX

Pros

Good management support. Relaxed work environment. Very professional and diverse employees with amazing training and learning opportunities and resources. Good benefits for higher education pursuing employees as they provide education assistance and excellent reference online materials.

Cons

Very slow promotion and low pay rate. Its better to get experience somewhere else, then apply and bargain for a good starting salary rather than waiting for raise and annual salary increase. So apparently new fresh graduates getting in will end up working in extreme low salary than comparable market companies possibly causing tendency to find jobs elsewhere.

Advice to Management

Pay for IT professionals better or at least competitive as compared to other companies in market. Presumably targeting a low pay rate doesn't ultimately morally boost the employees to stay within the company for a long time.

RSS Feed </> Embed