Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Texas

Updated April 14, 2015
15 reviews filtered by
  • Richardson, TX
Bert Marshall

Great people and facilities. Need better planning, moving too fast to be truly effective.

I worked at Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Texas full-time

Pros

Great place to work. Richardson location has cafeteria and credit union on sight making it covenant for the employees. There is also an on sight work out facility as well as a running track near the building.

Cons

The healthcare industry is constantly changing with new rules and regulations and the companies need to make their changes to remain in compliance. Definitely a company of who you know to get anything done. If they don't like you, I have seen them ignore you/your request.

Advice to Management

Better planning of time and resources needs to happen to make these annual transitions smoother. Stop procrastinating and waiting to the last minute causing everything to be a fire drill. Leave the politics out of the office and do the right thing.

2. Master Clerk

Former Employee - Master Clerk/Provider Administration in Richardson, TX
    Former Employee - Master Clerk/Provider Administration in Richardson, TX

I worked at Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Texas full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great Benefits, Workout Facility , Awesome Credit union and Nice building

Cons

Poor Management, Overtime during week and Saturdays , While on maturity leave my job was filed one week before I was to return after 15 years of service. When I reported concerns I was told I was being malicious. In a department meeting management told everyone " if you don't like your job then find a new one" horrible experience

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees concerns . Be more loyal to those who put in hard work everyday.

This company has been a great fit for me!

Former Employee - Project Manager in Richardson, TX
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Richardson, TX

I worked at Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Texas

Pros

- Great work - life balance
    - My boss is amazing, we really have a relationship
    - I get to touch different projects instead of being just stuck on one project

Cons

BCBS doesn't pay at a top tier level when considering how much work you can be responsible for. This is the only flaw that is very noticeable. The other flaw is the culture ... it's pretty thick, however, changes have been underway since the new Affordable Care Act has come into play.

Advice to Management

- accept and try some new ideas, it's time to change the culture
    - pay employees their market value

5. Change needs to be made.

Former Contractor - Implementation Analyst in Richardson, TX
    Former Contractor - Implementation Analyst in Richardson, TX

I worked at Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Texas as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Opportunity for those who "know someone", a lot of experienced people to have as mentors, comfortable working campus, very diverse cultures. Still a place where an entire career can be spent.

Cons

Very competitive employees, a lot of nepotism, too many relatives working at the company. There is some uncomfortable racial element within the company.

Advice to Management

Open the doors to new people, not so much nepotism.

6. It has been a good learning experience

Current Employee - Case Manager in Richardson, TX
    Current Employee - Case Manager in Richardson, TX

I have been working at Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Texas full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Opportunities to work from home.

Cons

Office culture is not great

Advice to Management

Be nicer and more understanding

Good company to work if you are in later half of your career

Current Employee - Small Group Underwriter in Richardson, TX
    Current Employee - Small Group Underwriter in Richardson, TX

Pros

This is Good company to work if you are in later half of your career.

Cons

If you are entry level or mid level in career, you not gain or learn anything valuable to help you later half of your career.

Advice to Management

Promotion are not done based on merit.

8. Blue Cross Blue Shield was a great company to work at.

Current Contractor - Credentialing Representative in Richardson, TX
    Current Contractor - Credentialing Representative in Richardson, TX

I have been working at Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Texas as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

The location was close to my home.

Cons

Working directly with the doctors and their staff.

Advice to Management

I think the company should increase the salary for their employees.

Great company for laid back work load and opportunity to learn and grow.

Current Employee - Applications Developer Analyst in Richardson, TX
    Current Employee - Applications Developer Analyst in Richardson, TX

I have been working at Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Texas full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good management support. Relaxed work environment. Very professional and diverse employees with amazing training and learning opportunities and resources. Good benefits for higher education pursuing employees as they provide education assistance and excellent reference online materials.

Cons

Very slow promotion and low pay rate. Its better to get experience somewhere else, then apply and bargain for a good starting salary rather than waiting for raise and annual salary increase. So apparently new fresh graduates getting in will end up working in extreme low salary than comparable market companies possibly causing tendency to find jobs elsewhere.

Advice to Management

Pay for IT professionals better or at least competitive as compared to other companies in market. Presumably targeting a low pay rate doesn't ultimately morally boost the employees to stay within the company for a long time.

Expected more from Blue Cross (TX)

Former Employee - Claims Examiner III in Richardson, TX
    Former Employee - Claims Examiner III in Richardson, TX

I worked at Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Texas full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Co-workers are friendly and easy to work with.

Cons

Excessive micromanagement. Changes their protocol every week for three weeks in a row while counting your production is unfair. I asked for more training several times. Then asked from peers that helped me. I had a serious health issue and was hospitalized a week and after a week back at work was told they may or may not hold my position for me. Altho, they claimed the time off into my production.
    Then, after two months they let me go. Production was good my quality was at 2 errors, 1 same day same error and was to have coaching on it. Their training is the worst I have ever seen. I asked a trainer a question and was told we have already covered that. And she moved on. Very poor place to work. all grey walls, No talking even signs up no talking, no whispering...Sad I have seen happier funerals.

Advice to Management

Spend more time training and less time micromanaging. Why have a supervisor with out claim experience? Makes no sense at all.

Six year employee during a period of tumultuous change.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richardson, TX

I worked at Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Texas full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Coworkers are generally very nice people. Very diverse work force. Work hours are often flexible. Benefits are generally competitive.

Cons

Hours can often be very long, depending on the department. Work load can be heavy. Change is constant and often at very upsetting levels resulting in frequent organization realignments. Some of the drastic change is brought about by government and regulatory burden, but some of it is unnecessarily self inflicted.

Advice to Management

Make only the minimum necessary changes to departments, structures, processes and bosses due to unavoidable market force changes.Too often, the first strategy employed by management is: let's reorganize! This approach and the resulting chaos is highly stressful to employees and often, it just isn't necessary.