Blue Fountain Media

Updated December 16, 2014
Updated December 16, 2014
4.1

Gabriel Shaoolian

Pros
  • BFM is a great place to both start a career or for an experienced professional (in 6 reviews)

• Opportunity to work with really talented people (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • This results in long hours at times and a need to have meticulous attention to detail (in 7 reviews)

• As with any dynamically growing company, the environment shifts with the ever-changing needs of its clients and associates (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Initial Impressions

Current Employee - Senior Strategist in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Strategist in New York, NY

I have been working at Blue Fountain Media full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Office environment has a great mix of busy people, exciting projects (love the new client email announcements for added morale), and social personalities. I also like the opportunities to brainstorm on other projects not assigned to you time allowing, so you get a broader idea of how the company works, project varieties, and individual work personalities.

Cons

It's only my second week so not much to report. They are quite busy so minor details can be overlooked such as access to resources, passwords, etc. but once you alert someone it is quickly taken care of, so more of growing pains vs. a con. So the only negative I can think of for now is too many candy jars and dispensers without a gym next door...

Less candy more fruit. And a treadmill.

An opportunity to make an impact

Current Employee - Developer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Developer in New York, NY

I have been working at Blue Fountain Media full-time (more than an year)

Pros

BFM's rapidly adapting environment, paired with an approachable CEO, makes BFM an excellent place for both veteran leadership and thriving rookies to have a big impact upon the direction of this company, despite its size. In a world that has become overrun by politics and bureaucracy, it's nice to know that the support of your teammates will allow you to focus on getting the job done without too much hassle.

Cons

BFM has endured some serious growing pains in recent years, so it's difficult to both keep up with the changing operations as well as client products. Hours can be long at times but everyone is in it together.

Finding a healthy balance in support of sales and production is important in maintaining a stable and happy workplace.

Fast-paced and growing company

Current Employee - Marketing Specialist in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Marketing Specialist in New York, NY

I have been working at Blue Fountain Media full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The team at BFM works together to grow as a whole. Many individuals come to the company with a specialized skill with little experience in other areas of marketing. BFM encourages employees to share such skills with others on the team, while expanding upon one's own skill set into other specialties.

Cons

If an individual is not seeking a fast-paced and educational work environment, this may not be the place for them.

6 Months here is worth more than a 4-year college degree!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Blue Fountain Media full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Communication is important in the agency environment and BFM does a great job keeping employees informed on what other divisions are doing, how our clients are doing and how the business as a whole is doing. Communication is candid and useful. Also, great regular get togethers and parties (especially the Halloween Party!) really let you get to know colleagues on a personal and creative level. In 6 months here, I've learned more about "the real world" than anything college taught me. BFM University! Great faculty, whiny students!

Cons

I think the biggest con is some of the employees can be a little rude and standoffish. Some really have that NYC agency attitude of dog eat dog, but I think the company does a good job of trying to weed that kind of attitude out. Life/Work Balance is good... but there are definitely "crunch times" where you are expected to work til the task is done.

Overall, leadership is good. Communication is excellent. They seem to be building a strong, amiable workplace where team work skills are emphasized and good work is recognized. I'm seeing people moving out of the company rather than up... but most of the people who leave aren't really a good fit for this culture anyway, so I think the company's doing a decent job maintaining a productive workforce that's fun to be with on a day to day business.

A Truly Fantastic Place to Work

I have been working at Blue Fountain Media full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I cannot say enough good things about working at BFM. Coming right out of college, getting a job with BFM right away has been the biggest blessing. The atmosphere is very enjoyable and the people are amazing. The company has a young, energetic feel and it really is enjoyable to come to work. They encourage employees to grow their skills and advance themselves within their respective fields. Working here has proven more educational than many college courses, and certainly more fun than any other job I've had before.

Cons

There really aren't any issues I would consider major cons. From time to time you'll find yourself with a lot to get done by deadlines, so it can be a bit stressful, but nothing you wouldn't encounter at any other agency.

You guys are doing a fantastic job with the work/life balance and keeping the office a fun place to work. Keep it up!!

Great place to learn and grow

Current Employee - Creative Strategist in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Creative Strategist in New York, NY

I have been working at Blue Fountain Media full-time (more than an year)

Pros

This is an incredibly fast paced agency that strives everyday to produce results for its clients. If you are looking for an opportunity that allows you to learn and grow, this is a very good company to consider.

The agency is small enough where you can get your hands into multiple verticals and sizes of clients. The collaborative team environment brings varying specialities together to drive innovative and strategic execution. This approach allows someone to be a part of greater discovery and learning to develop tactics that drive client satisfaction and real business results.

The benefits at BFM are pretty typical of companies with a nice work/life balance.

Cons

This is a fast paced environment and as an agency you are tackling real business challenges every day to drive the results clients demand. If you are not able to think on your feet, react quickly, and deal with pressure; this may not be the right company for you. Passion for great work runs deep and there is little patience for mediocre work output.

In the past 18 months enormous strides have been undertaken to round out an incredible leadership team. This team has brought a great deal of order to the organizational processes and allowed the agency to grow to serve our clients expanding online marketing needs. Continue to keep a strong focus on employee satisfaction and the trend to foster employee development.

Not a place for developers

Former Employee - Developer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Developer in New York, NY

I worked at Blue Fountain Media full-time (more than an year)

Pros

If you are designer, marketer, project manager its average company to join.

Cons

Developers should not even think to join. They outsource 90% of development to Ukraine. All the developers on their website are not locals, they are located in Ukraine.

Build small development team in the US as well.

Avoid Employment

I worked at Blue Fountain Media full-time

Pros

You will get the opportunity to work with a few very smart, driven, and fun co workers. You might learn a few things as well.

Cons

Unfortunately, the organizational chart and delivery methodology does not provide a platform for good work. Overseas development paired with an intense workload does not offer work life balance. This discourages your smart co workers and creates a very hostile and negative environment. As mentioned in other (real) posts, the CEO is not approachable, known for yelling, and ficious should you want to work at another agency.

A learning experience

Current Employee - Business Consultant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Business Consultant in New York, NY

I have been working at Blue Fountain Media full-time (more than an year)

Pros

In my time at Blue Fountain Media, I've learned more than I ever would've imagined. The people here are extremely creative - it makes for a great, productive environment.

Cons

Can't think of any cons!

A toxic place to work.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Blue Fountain Media full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I really enjoyed some of my teammates who were smart, driven, a care about their clients. If you're a self-starter, there's a chance to learn some stuff, but don't expect training in cutting edge or innovative marketing. This company is like training wheels. Some good hires have been made in upper management and they work hard and care about their employees.

Cons

The CEO is impossible. I once witnessed him yell at two managers for 15 min in front of the entire office and then fire someone in front of everyone. All efforts by employees to build a great company are ruined by his narcissism and arrogance. He does not understand how to motivate or take care of employees and it creates a toxic and hopeless place to work.

Take a leadership training course.

Blue Fountain Media Response

Jul 9, 2014

After seeing this posting, I had to react. Normally I would not bother with a response as professionals know that if they are interested in a company, they can check it out for themselves. However ... More

Blue Fountain Media Photos