Blue Nile Reviews

Blue Nile President & CEO Harvey Kanter
Harvey Kanter

questionable management

I worked at Blue Nile full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Coworkers! Smart, fun, great to work with so many good people.
    Ideals. They started with the right ideas, but the execution has eliminated the heart of it all.
    Location. Easy to get to from just about anywhere

Cons

Poor training (other than the Customer Service department)
    Office politics & power games in middle & upper management

Advice to Management

Understand what you're actually asking of your employees and how they're compensated and rewarded

Worst job I have ever had in my life

Former Employee - Spanish Customer Service Representative in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Spanish Customer Service Representative in Seattle, WA

I worked at Blue Nile

Pros

Many CSRs are nice and care about their work

Cons

If you are not in a rush or desperate to get a job, the best advice I can give you is to not work at this company. Here are a few points: The hourly pay is very low AND they won't even allow you to work 40 hours, often in a week they will ask you to leave EARLY because " there is no work."
    They have No respect for your personal time, they will rotate your schedule in the worst way possible, and will " call you" when needed, in other words, they will ask you to go home, and then they will call you when they need you but they don't pay you for the waiting time.

I was a Spanish CSR and I had the worst co worker in my life. She was rude and uneducated. If you speak Spanish or French, this is NOT a good job for you, there are plenty of better jobs out there. The international team at this company has the worst managers, they will make you feel as though you are useless, they are very rude and only care about having power in the company.

Every week there were people quiting.

Everytime that I complain about my current job, I remenber that it could be way worse, I could be working at Blue Nile.

I hope this info is useful to someone

Advice to Management

Change your management. Chage the managers for the international team. Come up with some values for the company. Learn to respect Human Beings. If you ask people to have a Bachelors Degree for the job, make sure everyone HAS one. Fire the Spanish CSR. Learn than "Hispanics" are an important market.

no work/life balance

I worked at Blue Nile full-time (More than a year)

Pros

the people are fun to work with. Everyone gets along and there is a team spirit.

Cons

the hours required to work is unacceptable. expectation is 50 hours a week and more during crunch times (month end, qtr end, year end and during the months of Nov-March). The pay is far below industry standards. in meetings the mgmt. would say they are cheap. high turnover means more work for you to do. The weekend work, after hours work from home and even holidays was too much for me.

Advice to Management

its time to do something new. pay your people the correct wage. encourage work/life balance.

Don't waste your time and skills...unless you don't mind a dead end job.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Blue Nile full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It is a well known company. Good quality product, but overpriced. Good employee discount. You will find some good and interesting workers. They'll hire almost anyone, because they cannot keep people.

Cons

The pay is horrible and management is a joke. They don't care about their employees. There is no life-work balance. Poor benefits.

Advice to Management

Get some management training and take care of you employees so you stop losing so many people

El-Cheapo

I worked at Blue Nile

Pros

They are located in Seattle, although the fulfillment center is in a dumpy part

Cons

This is a very cheap company. If you get to an offer stage, remember your sense of humor!

Advice to Management

Lower your CEO's salary, anyone could do that job and offer a little more to the people who actually run the company

7. good company to work for

I have been working at Blue Nile

Pros

- great people to work with
    - good office location (Pioneer Square)
    - great work and life balance
    - the company places a high value on social responsibility, I love to volunteer for the causes they support

Cons

- could use more training opportunities and emphases on individual career development
    - compensation is behind market

Great coworkers with amazing work ethic!

Current Employee - Customer Service
    Current Employee - Customer Service

I have been working at Blue Nile full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Amazing Co workers, and so helpful very much a team environment. Customers are amazing as well, a majority are always stating how much they love us! Over time hours during Christmas helps with Christmas gifts!

Cons

The systems are old and make the job much more difficult than it should be for the pay.

Advice to Management

Challenges for sure is the turnover in leadership in customer service. One of the 4 supervisors is the best leader and manager I have ever worked with. If they could have the rest of the leadership care half as much as she does, this will help with turnover. The other 3 supervisors are far from capable of doing the job. One cries whenever it gets slightly stressful, which is not a good example for the team. The other 2 just don't seem to care. Hope they can figure this out before they burn out the one good one!

Unfortunately a company in decline

I worked at Blue Nile full-time

Pros

Good people who have worked at the company over the years but have since left. Good networks of past employees.
    Fun product.
    Good business model.

Cons

Turnover is high enough that it consistently impacts productivity, with no end in sight.
    Some homegrown managers and directors who have little to no management experience outside of Blue Nile
    No career development, no career ladder for those in customer service. The only exception I can think of was one group who developed their own program but the company doesn't have anything across all departments.
    Overall sense that the company is in decline and no longer is innovative, no clear vision or bold plans other than tactical plans.

Advice to Management

Find the right balance between micromanagement and too much talking, not enough action.
    Be bold and try more things. Don't kid yourselves on the real impact that some of your actions have on the company and its results, especially if it's only one small action.
    Work on culling out bad managers who hold the company back from its full potential.

High stress job

I have been working at Blue Nile full-time

Pros

Benefits are lacking compared to other similar web-based companies. There is no drive to retain or promote employees from within, always sad to see good folks go on to other companies for career growth opportunities.

Cons

Lack of work/life balance. The company runs so lean that you feel guilty taking your paid time off. HR is hard to get a hold of for your questions... too busy planning culture events.

The company calls itself lean when it's actually just cheap

I worked at Blue Nile full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Healthcare is paid for by the company.
    You can learn a lot about diamonds/jewelry, especially if you're new to the industry.
    As a small company, you'll know everybody and everybody knows you.

Cons

The company calls itself lean by making more people take on additional responsibilities without a commensurate increase in pay. Then people quit and these responsibilities are parsed out to others. Again, without an increase in pay. Turnover is incredibly high for such a small company-and this even excludes the hourly call center workers.
    The culture is top-down, innovation from the bottom up is generally dismissed.
    The concept of cross-department coordination, communication, team work, is non-existent. Very silo'd in terms of thinking.
    Work is done on a "hurry up and wait" concept. Don't be surprised if you spend a week on a project and only 10% of what was asked for is actually used.

Advice to Management

If employee retention is truly a priority, then do more than pay lip service to it. People leave because they are underpaid (by 20-30%) and there are no little perks to make people stay. Parking is atrocious with high cost. Cheap sodas aren't enough

RSS Feed </> Embed