Blue Nile Reviews

Harvey Kanter

Poor Leadership

Former Employee - Marketing Coordinator  in  Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Marketing Coordinator in Seattle, WA

I worked at Blue Nile full-time for more than a year

Pros

Casual Work Environment
    Nice People (for the most part)

Cons

Well below average compensation
    Poor overall leadership
    Short sighted strategy
    High Turnover

Choose a strategy and stick with it. Invest in employee development and infrastructure, and yes that means you will have to spend money.

Perplexing management, high turnover ... blehh

I worked at Blue Nile full-time for less than a year

Pros

Close to the waterfront. At 4:59pm workers practically sprint out the door, so staying beyond 5 is rarely an issue (but be prepared to bring your work home).
 If you're really, really into fine jewelry and all its detailed specificity, this is your place.

Cons

Musical chairs-style management. Simmering resentment between departments. Perplexing and often counterproductive layers of feedback chiming in from seemingly every corner. Upper management appear miserable and defeated, Willy Loman style, as if they're ticking off the days until their pension kicks in.

Have the various departments sign an armistice.

Improving but not great just yet

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Blue Nile full-time

Pros

Flexible hours
    Understanding management
    Respect of work-life balance (sometimes)
    Relaxed environment

Cons

No great direction
    Changing strategy
    Quarter to quarter management and foresight

Invest more in infrastructure and people

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Merchandising/Buying Assistant

Former Employee - Merchandising Assistant  in  Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Merchandising Assistant in Seattle, WA

I worked at Blue Nile full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good experience for a young professional looking to work in either e-commerce or for a corporate company.

Cons

My department was spread very thin to say the least. Essentially, when I was hired on I was in charge of the entire special orders side of engagement and wedding rings. I had minimal training at best and my boss was very unhelpful and often rude or in a terrible mood, making asking questions seem like a minefield. It's possible that she was miserable in her own role but it was terrible working under her.

The amount of special orders/emails/tasks was impossible for one person to manage. I was often overwhelmed and stressed. I wasn't given a lot of guidance but punished when mistakes happened. It's apparent that Blue Nile doesn't really value their employees and only really cares about the bottom line. I think the work/life balance was not communicated clearly either...which there basically isn't any. You work all the time for less money than other companies and aren't valued as an employee.

Take the time to really train your new employees and make sure they have a firm grasp on their job and role within the company. Don't treat people as disposable. If you invest in your employees I think you'll be a more successful company.

Real change doesn't stick on the surface...

I worked at Blue Nile

Pros

Dedicated, intelligent employees. Employees genuinely want to see the company succeed and put in many hours to do just that. You are surrounded by many smart people and will very likely walk away learning a lot.

Cons

The company is run so lean, that those same employees are stretched thin and burn out quickly. There is little to no reward for that effort. The issues have been identified by executives, but very little was done to truly fix it at the root of the problem. The increased turnover and falling trust in company leadership could have been avoided. There are many people in leadership positions who are good at what they do, but need to be given the tools to truly lead and manage people. Good leaders are not only smart, but know how to support and motivate people.

Appreciate your employees. Reward their hard work and create a fun atmosphere. It’s okay to step away from spreadsheets for a break and even a smile. They deserve it. Focus on gaining their trust. Don’t make changes at the surface that won’t last. Build up the foundation and give people a reason to stick around.

Company needs trump employee needs

Former Employee - Diamond & Jewelry Consultant  in  Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Diamond & Jewelry Consultant in Seattle, WA

I worked at Blue Nile full-time for less than a year

Pros

Relaxed atmosphere
    Majority of callers are actually nice
    Internet usage not strictly monitored/limited
    No micromanagement

Cons

Unequal treatment of employees
    Lack of training

As a company that is expanding globally, equal representation of all races and cultures in your employment pool would be a benefit to the consumer calling in. The fact that the majority of your consultants and order processing personnel are of one specific race and you have a distinct lack of representation of another race is something I always found disturbing.

Love the team but unhappy with the company culture

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Blue Nile full-time

Pros

People are really smart and VERY hard working. Love that you could wear many hats since the teams are pretty small. Room to learn a lot.

Cons

No room for growth and management was too busy to really manage the team. People put in a lot of work hours during the holiday times and most were underpaid. If you are looking for a work/life balance or a fun and outgoing company culture..Blue Nile is not the right place for that. Not many good social events and everyone is too busy to care about anything else but work. They tried to change things recently due to high turnover.

Work on communication, goals and take some management training sessions. Take time to actually manage your team when you can.

Unbalanced Environment

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer  in  Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Seattle, WA

I worked at Blue Nile full-time for less than a year

Pros

Some of the people there were great. Lots of lunch options in the area. Fun to work in fulfillment for a day or two around christmas.

Cons

More managers than peers. Lots of first-timers - kids out of college willing to work for peanuts because they don't know better. Lots of old-timers - people who were with the company from the beginning and care only about their stock options. As I was neither, they set me up on a project they use to eliminate people so they could bump their short-term financials and prevent me from vesting. I did a lot of interesting and useful work for them, but they treated me as disposable. If I wasn't a good fit for them, they could have simply told me instead of creating a ridiculous scenario over which to fire me.

Their site looks unchanged from a decade ago. Their front-end code is ancient VB written by non-coders.

Too many managers and junior engineers. Why not hire some pros and treat them well instead of creating a lords and serfs environment? If your engineer tells you a project is untenable, listen to them and move on. Treat people like people, not stepping stones.

Short term focused in business and in people

I worked at Blue Nile

Pros

In exchange for lower pay, Blue Nile is willing to give employees positions or titles that they would ordinarily not have. If you're looking to take on a more senior role but just can't get that in your current company, Blue Nile may be what you're looking for. Be careful not to stay here too long though. Build the resume and credentials and leverage that into an equivalent position at a better company.

Cons

Blue Nile prides itself on keeping costs down and being lean. However, this often results in penny wise, pound foolish behavior. Employees are routinely paid 15% - 20% below market rate and are given stock option packages that haven't proven to be of any value. In addition, every department is severely understaffed which means that you'll work 50-60 hours every week doing pretty mindless and repetitive work because there just aren't the people around to spread the work around or automate things. As a result, there's very little time to reflect and think a little more strategically.

Senior Management comes off as disingenuous and clueless. Stop being disingenuous to employees. If you say you're going to invest in people - you need to follow that up with action otherwise you look really dishonest. Also, radical changes in strategic direction are pretty toxic and make it look like you don't know what you're doing. When you say that the company needs to do less of X and more of Y, you can't come back 2 months later and totally contradict that. You end up looking crazy.

Its a job at least...

Former Employee - Seasonal Shipping Aid  in  Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Seasonal Shipping Aid in Seattle, WA

I worked at Blue Nile as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

Your expectations as an employee are cut and dry. If you can meet those, you will have no problems.

Cons

Chaotic internal structure. Management proved manic and at times unprofessional. Hours are completely up and down, and lunch hours aren't set in stone. *sometimes its 30 min sometimes they make you take an hour, so you can stay longer in the day). Pay is also fairly low.

reduce stress on seasonal laborers, and you will have a better worker who is willing to go father.

Worked for Blue Nile? Contribute to the Community!